IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aloe Hercules (Large Cuttings)

5150cycad

I have selling some nice Aloe Hercules cuttings. Asking $25-$45 each depending on the size. Some of them are huge with multiple heads. They root very easily and grow super super fast. I have a total of 14 cuttings. They have been healing over for the last couple of weeks. Will offer very generous bulk discounts. 

I also have the main tree for sale if anyone is interested. It would fit in a 36” box or larger. Once planted the tree should start new growing points at the locations where the branches were cut. Please pm me if you have any questions. Thanks for looking. 

900C6110-91EA-4F7B-B1E6-582F1D564337.jpeg

2E944627-DD8C-4AFD-8088-ABC58FAC2579.jpeg

• Upvote 3

^^Agree w both Jim / Jimmy.. Great deal, and easy to root.. Would inquire myself if i didn't already have 3.

Get them while you have the opportunity..

On 11/24/2018, 1:53:21, Moose said:

Do they flower?

Yes but they always come out looking deformed and not like the beautiful flowers you you are used to seeing on other tree aloes. 

I have the entire trunk for sale if anyone is interested. I am selling it for $150. If not gone by Sunday I am going to give it away to a friend. Also have 5 cuttings left. 

EAC4DB5B-FAD2-4C63-8CF7-47E409708AF2.jpeg

B3EC5A85-0EC0-499F-BEF5-799D070F6E37.jpeg

• Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

Do you happen to still have any? Been looking everywhere for some in Fresno but can’t find anything within 3 hours drive 

5 hours ago, Fresnotropics said:

Do you happen to still have any? Been looking everywhere for some in Fresno but can’t find anything within 3 hours drive 

I'm pretty sure Willow Gardens just had a couple in 5 gal. They had a. tongaense also 

2 hours ago, Akis Anargyrou said:

Bryan just sent you a pm

Akis, does this mean you have some Aloe Hercules cuttings?  I saw a post on Agaveville with someone wanting to sell some 10 foot Hercules in FL.  I bought two small cuttings from Etsy earlier this summer, they are doing so well so far.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, Josue Diaz said:

I'm pretty sure Willow Gardens just had a couple in 5 gal. They had a. tongaense also 

Thanks! When do you recall seeing them? I called them last week and they said they didn’t have any in, but perhaps they do. I managed to find some super affordable starts on Etsy for $13 each yesterday that I purchased.

8 hours ago, Fresnotropics said:

Thanks! When do you recall seeing them? I called them last week and they said they didn’t have any in, but perhaps they do. I managed to find some super affordable starts on Etsy for $13 each yesterday that I purchased.

It was over summer. Keep an eye on their succulent and palm selection. they tend to bring in really cool stuff from SoCal. About 2 months ago they had a whole lot of vaombe and plicatilis. Evergreen is another one to check in w from time to time. I gave a 1 gallon Hercules away not too long ago too. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried rooting these from leaf cuttings? I just had to take in one out (had become 100% shaded) and I am wondering if I can propagate from the leaves as well as the single trunk.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Has anyone tried rooting these from leaf cuttings? I just had to take in one out (had become 100% shaded) and I am wondering if I can propagate from the leaves as well as the single trunk.

Ben,
Don't think you can w/ these.   Just by cuttings.. Very easy though. If you decide to be-head it, (attempting for say 2 plants ) the cut end/ w base, roots may sprout new stems. Something like this was done to a bigger one i had and it had 4 stems arise from where the orig. cut was made. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ben,
Don't think you can w/ these.   Just by cuttings.. Very easy though. If you decide to be-head it, (attempting for say 2 plants ) the cut end/ w base, roots may sprout new stems. Something like this was done to a bigger one i had and it had 4 stems arise from where the orig. cut was made. 

OK - so next question - I have one trunk about 5 feet long that I have cut down.  Can this be turned into multiple plants, or does it have to have the head on it?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

OK - so next question - I have one trunk about 5 feet long that I have cut down.  Can this be turned into multiple plants, or does it have to have the head on it?

That's a good question.. 

Not sure you can root mid sections of the trunk / stem that don't either have the head (s)/ roots attached like you can w/ things like Plumerias.  The base of the bigger one i'd had rotted, or suffered severe sunburn so all my cuts were root-less w/the heads attached.  Biggest cutting had about 3ft of trunk i cut maybe 6" off when i stuck that one in a pot.. Rest were smaller, like 14" in total length, not counting the head.. didn't use rooting hormone, but did stick the cuts in powdered Sulfur to help prevent any potential rot though. 

Regardless, in my case, i just threw them in 1-3 gal pots using a chunky, good draining soil mix, and stuck them somewhere that stays warm, in bright shade.. Not sure it would matter if they saw more sun this time of year though.  You might just stick yours in something like a 5 gal, trimming off just enough of the trunk length so that it won't tip over in the pot while it roots.

Water the heck out of them once set in the pots, and leave alone.. Only water them occasionally, if needed. ( maybe not at all there thru the rest of winter.. if you guys keep getting rain ). You'll know when they root when you start seeing them produce new leaves/growth.  Would imagine they will sit ..or slowly root  until it starts warming up. Take off pretty quick once rooted.

Just my experience w/ these though.. @5150cycad might have additional info to add.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That's a good question.. 

Not sure you can root mid sections of the trunk / stem that don't either have the head (s)/ roots attached like you can w/ things like Plumerias.  The base of the bigger one i'd had rotted, or suffered severe sunburn so all my cuts were root-less w/the heads attached.  Biggest cutting had about 3ft of trunk i cut maybe 6" off when i stuck that one in a pot.. Rest were smaller, like 14" in total length, not counting the head.. didn't use rooting hormone, but did stick the cuts in powdered Sulfur to help prevent any potential rot though. 

Regardless, in my case, i just threw them in 1-3 gal pots using a chunky, good draining soil mix, and stuck them somewhere that stays warm, in bright shade.. Not sure it would matter if they saw more sun this time of year though.  You might just stick yours in something like a 5 gal, trimming off just enough of the trunk length so that it won't tip over in the pot while it roots.

Water the heck out of them once set in the pots, and leave alone.. Only water them occasionally, if needed. ( maybe not at all there thru the rest of winter.. if you guys keep getting rain ). You'll know when they root when you start seeing them produce new leaves/growth.  Would imagine they will sit ..or slowly root  until it starts warming up. Take off pretty quick once rooted.

Just my experience w/ these though.. @5150cycad might have additional info to add.

Here are some pics of the cuttings just for reference..

Oldest was stuck in a pot w/ another plant..  Was the first time i'd attempted a cutting and wasn't sure how it would work out.. ( Summer of 2017 ) Need to get it into it's own pot, lol.  Might re-cut ( pic #2) due to the odd way the trunk has developed. Not sure if it will out grow it, or if the dimple might cause that plant to be weaker later. 
975452375_1226191740131.jpg.b70ee0424eebca1a81745ef776abf732.jpg1792415702_1226191740a130.jpg.bd52532939e4bfc1813070c1e4c3b025.jpg

Little guys in 1gals, about a year after rooting the cuts.
1690758458_1226191737133.jpg.01703a85a224a2f28bc001de259903c3.jpg

Most recent cutting, from  what was left of the 4 header i'd planted out front, after the base had rotted due to sunburn ( or some other factor) this past summer.  You don't have to trim the leaves like i did.  Can tell it's progressing from the new growth. The lighter green color on the center of the leaves is from the burn they'd suffer in full sun.
1437530797_1226191738132.jpg.dca3c8666c2f3dab7e00ce384c6dc17e.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick post-winter update on the larger, rescue cut Hurcules.. Yep, same plant pictured above..

Chuggin' along swimmingly atm..
DSC07374.thumb.JPG.8bcf64b5e7ed2c1ae0ab172a6b8625f6.JPG

• Like 2

Nathan,

That cutting looks great. It has definitely put on some new growth. I think cutting the older leaves off is a great idea since the leaves are so heavy and not needed for the plant to root. Also the plant will be more stabilized and less likely to tip or fall over. The plants energy will go into making new roots rather than using energy for old leaves. Looks like your plant is doing everything right. Looks perfect. Great work. Please keep posting updated pics. Thanks 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I had to cut off the head of a 6 foot aloe dichotoma which was rotting. The trunk is still in the ground and solid. Will it sprout New arms over time, from the cut off top of the 4 foot tall trunk.? Thanks -Rick

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 4:30 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

That's a good question.. 

hi,

I just bought a beautiful 5 gallon Hercules and was wondering what’s the best brand of potting soil to use. I’ve heard mixedd reviews of the cactus and palm mix from Kellog - which I have handy. I’ve also heard regular potting mix with 50% added pumice is better. Any advice and what type of fertilizer? Thanks I’m advanced!

On 12/26/2019 at 4:30 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

That's a good question.. 

On 12/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Here are some pics of the cuttings just for reference..

Oldest was stuck in a pot w/ another plant..  Was the first time i'd attempted a cutting and wasn't sure how it would work out.. ( Summer of 2017 ) Need to get it into it's own pot, lol.  Might re-cut ( pic #2) due to the odd way the trunk has developed. Not sure if it will out grow it, or if the dimple might cause that plant to be weaker later. 
975452375_1226191740131.jpg.b70ee0424eebca1a81745ef776abf732.jpg1792415702_1226191740a130.jpg.bd52532939e4bfc1813070c1e4c3b025.jpg

Little guys in 1gals, about a year after rooting the cuts.
1690758458_1226191737133.jpg.01703a85a224a2f28bc001de259903c3.jpg

Most recent cutting, from  what was left of the 4 header i'd planted out front, after the base had rotted due to sunburn ( or some other factor) this past summer.  You don't have to trim the leaves like i did.  Can tell it's progressing from the new growth. The lighter green color on the center of the leaves is from the burn they'd suffer in full sun.
1437530797_1226191738132.jpg.dca3c8666c2f3dab7e00ce384c6dc17e.jpg

Hi what type or brand of soil did you use? I just bought a 5 gallon hercules and plan to put in a large pot. Do you use fertilizer? How often do you water it? 

On 1/14/2021 at 2:49 AM, Jonah B said:

Hi what type or brand of soil did you use? I just bought a 5 gallon hercules and plan to put in a large pot. Do you use fertilizer? How often do you water it? 

There's a thread over here about Aloe Hercules, better to ask your questions there instead of in the "For Sale" forum.  For reference, I used a mix of 1/3 perlite, 1/3 Turface MVP, and the rest was a mix of generic potting soil and my local sandy soil. 

Thanks Merlyn. Didn’t realize it was in the for sale forum. What kind of sandy soil is in the mix? Not sure what to ask for in the nursery. Do I just ask if they have sandy soil? Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, Jonah B said:

Thanks Merlyn. Didn’t realize it was in the for sale forum. What kind of sandy soil is in the mix? Not sure what to ask for in the nursery. Do I just ask if they have sandy soil? Thanks! 

Check your thread in the "Palms in Pots " section.. Laid out what to look for when making your own soil mix in my reply to your post.. As far as any "sand " use whats called " Chicken Grit " regular ol' sand is too fine and will keep the soil mix too wet. Chicken Grit can be found at any Livestock Feed store, depending where you are located..

• 2 months later...

Hi there, would like to check with you if you still have Aloe Hercules cuttings and or the main plant still for sale please. Thank you in advance for your response. 

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, Linda C said:

This is an old topic, but hoping to find cuttings of Aloe Hercules please.  We are in Tucson AZ. Thank you!

Hi Linda, I ended up getting my plants from a couple of Etsy sellers for around $20-30 shipped.  There are a few up for sale now, but fairly pricey around $50 plus shipping.  I don't have any cuttings myself, but maybe another PT member has some!

22 hours ago, Linda C said:

This is an old topic, but hoping to find cuttings of Aloe Hercules please.  We are in Tucson AZ. Thank you!

Welcome to Palmtalk,

Since you're in there Tucson, you might check w/ some of the Botanical Gardens ( Tohono Chul has had them for sale in the past when i've stopped by. ), as well as the top notch cacti / succulent nurseries in town like Aridlands, Miles 2 Go, Plants for the Southwest,  Arid Adaptations ..Almost certain someone i know there should have specimens for sale,  esp. during next any # of next years plant sales where cacti/succulents are sold.  If not,  cacti / succulent nurseries in San Diego, who might be able to ship, would be where to look next ( Many vendors from there come  here / Tucson for most of the same plant sale events also ).  Fast growers so starting out w/ a smaller plant won't set you back much time- wise, esp. if you are located in a warmer part of town ( less risk of being torched in the winter ).  

Hope this helps..