IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Live Arts

epiphyte

Haul from Live Arts...

20181120_100301.jpg

Clockwise from top right...

Neoregelia Zoe
Neoregelia More Pepper Please
Neoregelia ampullacea
Neoregelia Medusa

Also saw this nice NOID Euphorbia...

20181119_092338.jpg

It would potentially make a great phorobana.  Anybody recognize it?

We learned that the nursery is giving away 150 queen palms because they don't have the space for them in their new location.  The palms are in 30" boxes and are 20 feet tall.  If you want any you would have to pick them up in Northridge by December 31. 

Palms make great hosts for orchids, bromeliads and other epiphytes.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, epiphyte said:

Also saw this nice NOID Euphorbia...

20181119_092338.jpg

It would potentially make a great phorobana.  Anybody recognize it?

Did you get it Carlos?  Very attractive Euphorbia whatever the species.  A little delicate, so you would want to mount some smaller and lighter things on it I imagine.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

The nursery replied to my email with the ID... Euphorbia punicea... Jamaican Poinsettia.  

Tracy, it wasn't for sale.  I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it anyways.  Looking online it seems on the pricey side.  Larry said he does do trades though, so maybe I'll be able to trade something for a cutting.  

If I got one then I'd attach Tillandsias and smallish orchids to it... like Dendrobium speciosum... haha.  For phorobanas I like to try and imagine what in the world would be the best possible combination of phorophyte and epiphyte.  But what would be the worst possible combination?  The epiphyte would have to be able to grow on the host, except that the combination would be terrible.  I'm drawing a blank though.  

Ideally the traditional Christmas tree would be replaced with a phorobana.  

10 hours ago, epiphyte said:

The nursery replied to my email with the ID... Euphorbia punicea... Jamaican Poinsettia

Was thinking the same thing when i saw the picture, but thought  there were 1 or 2 other sp. with a similar look for some reason. Cool plant regardless.. Been on my hit list for a couple years.  Believe it would be relatively easy from cuttings if they ever decided to grow more / trade you something for a cutting of it. 

Nice haul on the Neoregelias btw.

• Upvote 1

Silas, it's been on your hit list for a couple years?  How come you didn't tell me about it?  What other cool plants aren't you telling me about??!  

In the Ficus thread you did tell me about a hemi-epiphytic Bursera (standleyana).  Did you know that there is also a hemi-epiphytic Dahlia?  Dahlia macdougallii grows on trees in Mexico.  

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, check out this Opuntia colonizing a pagoda in China and this tree (Ficus?) growing on a house.  

Edited by epiphyte
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...