Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Anyone Know What Variety of Papaya This Is?

PalmTreeDude

I just got this Papaya from a local Publix, and am wondering if anyone knows what variety it is. I am wondering this because if there are seeds inside, I may try to grow them. Does anyone know when the best time to open a papaya is? 

1542762049831133.jpg

1542762049260717.jpg

1542762049576784.jpg

dalmatiansoap

One of red flesh variety according PLU code

WonderKeeper

Shape and size look like those Hawaiian papayas.   Yellow flesh is solo, red/orange  is strawberry (sunrise), pink salmon is sunset and Waimanalo Dwarf Papaya.

• Upvote 1

Tracy
2 hours ago, WonderKeeper said:

Yellow flesh is solo

While I'm not sure what variety Palm Tree Dude posted, Solo are more orange than yellow flesh.  I have been growing them and eating Solo's for the last few years. 

Regarding whether to try growing the seeds, the test is if you like the fruit then go for it.  If you don't like the taste then why bother trying to grow it?  Mine always seem to flower late, so the fruit will hang on through winter and ripen in the spring sometime or in the case of last year even as winter was still closing.

20150823-LI9A1913.jpg

20181107-104A1537.jpg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I opened it up and ate it. It tasted very good! Also full of seeds, which I am trying different methods of germinatung right now. I believe it was a Solo, from all the information I have gathered. 

20181121_160632.jpg

20181121_160634.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 1