IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Very Old Serenoa repens in Polk County FL

Matthew92

Went for a small hike at Crooked Lake Prairie in Babson Park, FL (just south of Lake Wales). Beautiful, endangered scrub habitat with lots of pine, scrub oak, and palmetto. Saw these unusually looking old saw palmetto throughout the trail- largest I've ever seen. I wonder how old they are.

IMG_2708.thumb.JPG.c15fb93456d64da25a455

IMG_2710.thumb.JPG.d336a386a20cb15a004ca

Some more typical saw palmetto throughout the trail

IMG_2719.thumb.JPG.449dbfc27a4ec7bbd53b8

IMG_2737.thumb.JPG.3b48cd1e8908cadb02b22

Apparently they can branch a lot along the trunk

IMG_2738.thumb.JPG.6913a2ce4d26580ab8dab

It also looks as if the trunk can root in the ground as it grows horizontally, as this one appeared to be cut from the main stem and still growing.

IMG_2742.thumb.JPG.7eab62c9f28d169e1439f

They looked like snakes on the ground

IMG_2743.thumb.JPG.6768a105e781f302d4fd7

Edited by Opal92
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 10

Definitely a classic scrub land in southern Polk.  My uncle had similar terrain at the back end of his 5 acre lot back on a dirt road in West Frostproof.  Very nice pictures.  Serenoa repens is one of my favorites, and these are great specimens. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On hiking trails they call those half buried trunks "gator backs" . I have tripped on quite a few.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great habitat photos! Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

very cool! like palms on another planet

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 months later...

As someone from a state that boasts of its ancient redwoods, I have more respect now for Serenoa repens;)

From In Defense Of Plants: Ancient Saw Palmettos in the Heart of Florida: "Based on the rate of growth and spread, the estimated age of these clonal patches of saw palmetto range anywhere between 1227–5215 years!"  http://www.indefenseofplants.com/blog/2017/1/25/ancient-saw-palmettos-in-the-heart-of-florida

SawPalmetto.jpg

• Like 5

There was an article somewhere that the giant clumps near cape Canaveral were giant neverending clones/offshoot 25,000 years old. Some of those trunks can be traced back 70'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice habitat photos. Trunking Serenoa repens are amazing to see.

I just planted a silver Serenoa repens a few days ago. Mine probably won’t grow anywhere near the size of the ones in Florida but still one of my favorite palms in my garden. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC