IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Max of 29.7C / 85F on Wednesday, which was hotter than forecast. So much for the 'cooler' spell we were supposed to be having before the heatwave hits. Temperatures were pretty much the same as Hawaii on Wednesday in London and southeast England. 

UK Met Office model looks roasting. 40C / 104F in places with a low of 28C / 82F in central London on Monday night. 35C / 95F temps by 9am on Tuesday. 39-40C / 103F even in North Yorkshire at 54N of the equator. Looks like it might even reach 37C / 100F in southeast Scotland. Crazy.

12_150_2m_max_temp.jpg.8116f05125e2cf1781c3c56c68d9cc55.jpg

FXiqM7vX0AIAGjh.jpg.74a0721f4d37583ccf1bdb200fccf28f.jpg

1033418666_Screenshot2022-07-13at23_51_32.thumb.png.4b29236a80bf5dd6331dd5e2dbaa6f24.png

Temperature records are falling across southwest Europe as this heat dome begins to build up and start advancing northwards into France and the UK. 46C / 115F in Portugal.

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

@UK_Palmsthe BBC forecast is now showing 39c for London Heathrow If that doesn't change theres guaranteed to be 40c around the suburbs as they get warmer than the airport and if they are understating the temperature as they usually do with hot temps this could means 40 41 at Heathrow maybe 41 42 in the nearby suburbs. luckily for people who don't like heat the humidity is only 19% on the forecast and I can imagine it being even lower since the air is coming from the Sahara desert.

Screenshot_20220714-115248292 (1).jpg

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

@Foxpalms A catastrophic heatwave is inevitable now. We’re only 4 days out now too so those forecasts aren’t going to suddenly drop off. They are locked in with all models in agreement. In fact they are scaling the temps up the closer we get, as to be expected. 

769B68F2-1045-44D3-A0BB-273D038F3A9D.thumb.jpeg.4c8cc548d8a3935720f1cc3bd8a71858.jpeg

F767EA6C-D41E-4ACB-9288-EB9AA516C213.thumb.jpeg.6bfc4e75ace1687825e205caef9634e1.jpeg

The UKV model only goes out to Monday, which is supposed to be the cooler day (both days are over 100F though) and it is still showing temps up to 40C on it. I hate to think what it would show for Tuesday once it comes into range!

BCB72894-B782-40C1-9059-205CAEFB2C58.png.89ade9b4edeafff4461696d642bf8eb2.png

The latest GFS run is ridiculous. 40C / 104F in London on Monday and then 41-42C / 108F in northern England, yes northern England, on Tuesday up at latitude 54N. I’m lost for words. Again these models are only 4 days out now, not 10 days out. Temps could potentially reach 43C / 110F somewhere on Tuesday. This model is well known for understating max temps as well during summer in the UK. Hats off to GFS though, which was signalling for this heatwave event over 2 weeks ago now!

48F86F5D-E8A2-4F35-BB3E-F615D25A655E.png.8f05bda4fdffb3e5d478cf4a8fb37d46.png

C2CE77ED-39CB-4EC6-9850-8BD5889B5BCF.png.c3c38c2d3aa62608f2c0f0abbe4d5dd7.png

I wonder if they will close the schools on Monday and Tuesday? Working in those temps will be brutal as well. British houses will be roasting hot as they are not built to deal with this kind of heat. They are designed to retain heat. My bedroom was 28C / 82F last night with all windows open and a fan running, despite the daytime temp only reaching 29C / 84F here. So we are talking 10C+ / 20F+ on top of that on Mon/Tues with a cumulative heating effect indoors too. Possibly an overnight minimum of 28C / 82F for London on Monday night as well. It’s going to be rough. It’s unprecedented for a location this far north of the equator too.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

10 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Mine handled a week of around 29-30C max with 21 to 23C overnight lows this past  February just fine, but that was partly cloudy days and high humidity.

Yeah, that won’t bother them. But if you had like 42C, not a cloud in the sky and high winds with low dewpoints as Perth can get in summer, then they’re just going to stop. I had a Nikau in Perth just go into a coma with that sort of situation. It never grew again and over the space of about 2 years just dropped one frond after another. 

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 hours ago, Foxpalms said:

I guess I'm definitely going to have to cool that area then! My low last night was 22.7c tonight is cooler probably will bottom out at around 17c since the cold front is coming through. I can imagine Monday and Tuesday though it will be 36c+  at the least followed by a night in the low 20s possibly mid 20s I not sure about 27c but possible. Other than watering loads I might use a portable ac unit to cool that area down especially since they are in filtered sunlight not full shade so it gets hot in that area luckily not as warm as where my queen and banglow are. Anyway it's just gone 10.30pm and it's 69.1f/20.6c and 70% humdity.

I reckon you will be fine just putting some shade cloth over it and watering it through the shadecloth. I imagine that your hot spell will have low dewpoints as it will be dry. The good news with that is that a bit of moisture lowers the temp more than if the air was mega humid. Just keep the hose handy and give it some water and provided you have shadecloth over it, it won’t burn. 

BTW, your queen will like the heat and so will the bangalow, provided it’s sunhardened and kept moist all the time through your heatwave. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

@UK_PalmsIf the unthinkable happens and the UK goes as high as 40C and beyond, with high night temps I worry for the average person who likely has no experience dealing with real heat. The well known saying is “Only mad dogs and Englishman go out in the midday sun”. I have English heritage as do many here in Oz, but there is some truth to the saying. Those temps are just too hot to go to the beach, but I reckon that’s where almost everyone will go and get burnt to a crisp. Then they’ll dehydrate and possibly get heat stroke which is actually a dangerous condition where the brain can no longer regulate body temp and the body temp just runs away. 

So, to combat these heatwaves, stay out of the sun, drink heaps of water, and for those really hot nights, get a fan running and maybe a spray bottle full of water. It’s not as good as air conditioning but it’s something. Or have a cold shower if it’s too hot. The first year of my married life we lived in a unit in Perth, with no air con and no insulation, just a fan. We had a really hot summer, with one night being 32C at midnight with heavy cloud cover. The fan and the spray bottle were all we had. When we finally got our own place, the first thing I did was put air con in. You need to be able to sleep.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

@Foxpalms A catastrophic heatwave is inevitable now. We’re only 4 days out now too so those forecasts aren’t going to suddenly drop off. They are locked in with all models in agreement. In fact they are scaling the temps up the closer we get, as to be expected. 

769B68F2-1045-44D3-A0BB-273D038F3A9D.thumb.jpeg.4c8cc548d8a3935720f1cc3bd8a71858.jpeg

F767EA6C-D41E-4ACB-9288-EB9AA516C213.thumb.jpeg.6bfc4e75ace1687825e205caef9634e1.jpeg

The UKV model only goes out to Monday, which is supposed to be the cooler day (both days are over 100F though) and it is still showing temps up to 40C on it. I hate to think what it would show for Tuesday once it comes into range!

BCB72894-B782-40C1-9059-205CAEFB2C58.png.89ade9b4edeafff4461696d642bf8eb2.png

The latest GFS run is ridiculous. 40C / 104F in London on Monday and then 41-42C / 108F in northern England, yes northern England, on Tuesday up at latitude 54N. I’m lost for words. Again these models are only 4 days out now, not 10 days out. Temps could potentially reach 43C / 110F somewhere on Tuesday. This model is well known for understating max temps as well during summer in the UK. Hats off to GFS though, which was signalling for this heatwave event over 2 weeks ago now!

48F86F5D-E8A2-4F35-BB3E-F615D25A655E.png.8f05bda4fdffb3e5d478cf4a8fb37d46.png

C2CE77ED-39CB-4EC6-9850-8BD5889B5BCF.png.c3c38c2d3aa62608f2c0f0abbe4d5dd7.png

I wonder if they will close the schools on Monday and Tuesday? Working in those temps will be brutal as well. British houses will be roasting hot as they are not built to deal with this kind of heat. They are designed to retain heat. My bedroom was 28C / 82F last night with all windows open and a fan running, despite the daytime temp only reaching 29C / 84F here. So we are talking 10C+ / 20F+ on top of that on Mon/Tues with a cumulative heating effect indoors too. Possibly an overnight minimum of 28C / 82F for London on Monday night as well. It’s going to be rough. It’s unprecedented for a location this far north of the equator too.

I can’t actually believe what’s being modelled for us early next week it could be one of the most extreme weather events in 1000s of years  

6 hours ago, Samuel said:

I can’t actually believe what’s being modelled for us early next week it could be one of the most extreme weather events in 1000s of years  

Well the clock is ticking away and the latest GFS now has 42C / 108F for London. That would be more like 43C / 110F in southwest London at places like Heathrow & Kew Gardens. A brutal overnight low of 29-30C / 85F for central London potentially as well on Monday night on GFS. Parts of northern England will still be sitting at 37C / 100F at midnight as it's also 39-40C the day before as well on Monday. So that's 2 consecutive 40C+ / 104F+ days potentially for some places like southwest London.

If it actually happens then it is unprecedented, but I wonder if you were to go back several hundred years whether we have actually experienced freak heat events like this maybe with 40C+ before? Perhaps the heat potential has always been there, just incredibly rare? Otherwise it may actually be the effects of climate change/global warming to the extreme this summer. Probably a combination of both factors really. The all-time record will probably go on Monday, then it will go again on Tuesday too.

The consistency in these model runs though is terrifying. 42C / 108F in London on latest GFS and 43C / 110F modelled locally. Surely this won't come off!? 4 days out still though.

18_120_uk2mtmp.jpg.b412c7600efd8d8da4914a9fe5b6d5aa.jpg

Even BBC have upped it to 40C / 104F as well now. That's a first. Kew are going to have a job on their hands keeping that giant glass house cool in 40C+ temps! @Tyrone

2108911532_Screenshot2022-07-15at00_09_46.thumb.png.0e32bb00f9f51fa4543dda546810610d.png

This is a heat dome event like the PNW had last year all over again. The parallels are uncanny. The hot air from North Africa has been displaced and will be incinerating western Europe as it moves northwards. It will linger around for some time as well. I'm not seeing a significant cooldown either with 26-27C temps still the rest of the week and prospect of another equally powerful heatwave event lurking at the back end of the month.

gfs_T2ma_eu_20.jpg.2259bded0e53dce0c90c033f3e62fe20.jpg

The fires are never ending here in my county with 3 active ones within a 3 mile radius of my location. We're going to have huge problems in the coming days!

FXnq8j2XgAELTVA.thumb.jpg.3a3856df095a49dc66733c568bf67848.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Well the clock is ticking away and the latest GFS now has 42C / 108F for London. That would be more like 43C / 110F in southwest London at places like Heathrow & Kew Gardens. A brutal overnight low of 29-30C / 85F for central London potentially as well on Monday night on GFS. Parts of northern England will still be sitting at 37C / 100F at midnight as it's also 39-40C the day before as well on Monday. So that's 2 consecutive 40C+ / 104F+ days potentially for some places like southwest London.

If it actually happens then it is unprecedented, but I wonder if you were to go back several hundred years whether we have actually experienced freak heat events like this maybe with 40C+ before? Perhaps the heat potential has always been there, just incredibly rare? Otherwise it may actually be the effects of climate change/global warming to the extreme this summer. Probably a combination of both factors really. The all-time record will probably go on Monday, then it will go again on Tuesday too.

The consistency in these model runs though is terrifying. 42C / 108F in London on latest GFS and 43C / 110F modelled locally. Surely this won't come off!? 4 days out still though.

18_120_uk2mtmp.jpg.b412c7600efd8d8da4914a9fe5b6d5aa.jpg

Even BBC have upped it to 40C / 104F as well now. That's a first. Kew are going to have a job on their hands keeping that giant glass house cool in 40C+ temps! @Tyrone

2108911532_Screenshot2022-07-15at00_09_46.thumb.png.0e32bb00f9f51fa4543dda546810610d.png

This is a heat dome event like the PNW had last year all over again. The parallels are uncanny. The hot air from North Africa has been displaced and will be incinerating western Europe as it moves northwards. It will linger around for some time as well. I'm not seeing a significant cooldown either with 26-27C temps still the rest of the week and prospect of another equally powerful heatwave event lurking at the back end of the month.

gfs_T2ma_eu_20.jpg.2259bded0e53dce0c90c033f3e62fe20.jpg

The fires are never ending here in my county with 3 active ones within a 3 mile radius of my location. We're going to have huge problems in the coming days!

FXnq8j2XgAELTVA.thumb.jpg.3a3856df095a49dc66733c568bf67848.jpg

Seeing an official source like the BBC predicting  a high that is above the all time record for the country , hard to put into words. Just thinking of the humanitarian aspects of this, it's like a cat4 hurricane is coming to an area that has only ever seen a cat 1. Have some good friends over there currently, hope they will look after themselves along with everyone else in the path.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@UK_PalmsI'd say the chance of 40c temps is probably 60% if not more now possibly 41 42 43. I would place my bet on the hottest temps in the Heathrow/Northolt suburbs always slightly warmer than the airports there but in terms of official temperatures since the metoffice doesn't have any in the suburbs I would say Heathrow or Kew since the Northolt airport has a couple fields around it that cools the temps a bit whilst the suburbs around there don't hence why they are warmer Heathrow airport has less greenery around it so there is less stuff to reduce temps. I'm going to guess the record high will be 40.7c "officially" while some places on wunderground go up to 41 42c.  @cbmnz I personally don't think 40c in itself is dangerous if you stay hydrated even if the UK is unprepared (of course for elderly and young children it's more of a risk but in general) what will be the most dangerous thing is fires and very uncomfortable night for people who don't have ac. All the schools are still open on Monday ans Tuesday and whilst I think the majority of the UK children can go to school safely in 30c temps in the southeast and warmer parts they should definitely close them if it's 40c considering the majority 99.5% won't have ac only private schools and newer ones in London will I can see that being dangerous since UK buildings are designed to hold heat I couldn't imagine kids trying to learn in a classroom that's 37c+. I will be checking wunderground closely Sunday Monday Tuesday. By the looks of it the temps will cool down after Tuesday to mid to high 20s before going back to 30c next weekend. Metoffice have also said the first half of August will be warm or hot in the south east never mind 40c temps I just hope August stays at least 25c average highs so I can get some good growth on my queen palm it's already grown it's new spear 10 inches in the past week.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 1

Got some much needed rain last night and this afternoon.  The storm was strong enough to knock the power out earlier.  This summer it seems like it will get dry for 3 to 5 days and then let loose vs. an afternoon shower each day.

image.png.6c8c2303aa7bf2c0edcdb2ce56cac0a8.png

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Currently 18c here heading for a top of 20c with possible showers, nice and sunny outside at the moment, lovely weather.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It's a cool 15.1ºC here now - after last week's hot spell reaching 28.5 (the year's hottest so far) the last few days of average temperatures have felt very chilly!  Forecasts are anticipating another spell of hot weather with even 35ºC forecast on Tuesday!  If that comes to pass, I'd expect it would be breaking the all-time record for Manchester (which at the airport is 33.7ºC).  Normally I'd consider the airport's records to be taken with a pinch of salt, but that mostly relates to the low temperatures because it is much cooler at night and frostier than the urban areas (abundant evidence from local weather stations).  For high temperatures, the city is probably very similar.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Half way through July and its Darwin's coldest since records began in 1941.  2.9c below average for min temps and a record ( so far ) 2.2c below average for max temps.
TuJEVJ3.jpg
Alice Springs struggling too, with 13 consecutive sub zero min temps and the mins for July running 5.5c below average and the maxs at 3.0c below average.
The 13 frosty mornings in a row ( and -4.0c this morning ) breaks the previous record run od 11 days in 1976.
HBCurmA.jpg

Edited by greysrigging
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

No change on the GFS. It’s still showing 42C / 108F for London on latest update, although that is 6pm temps. The peak at 4pm is 43C / 110F in southwest London.

F3415FF7-2B56-42FD-8B37-5EAE62B0E8A3.png.d5f7299535ae90b1ec72d6b75ff5b8fd.png

The Met Office model for comparison is slightly cooler overall, but still showing 40C+ with peaks of 42-43C / 110F in places. This is going to be bad. 41-42C in northern England. The current UK record stands at 38.7C / 102F.

35E1A72D-C103-48DD-A783-011D48CB8E61.png.e55b7f1774d7cfa14db05b8b7a0cae2a.png

This is going to be the 3rd year out of the past 4 years that has reached 100F+ in London now. Last year was the exception. What we are seeing here is ridiculous though. BBC is now going for 41C / 106F on Monday and Tuesday in London!!! Met Office have just issued an extreme heat advisory for the first time ever with temps of up to 42-43C potentially! Insane! @cbmnz @Tyrone 

460C5960-8F72-481E-9047-C6347D207051.thumb.jpeg.f0e25b7bde6a1ff2f09dbe757d53635e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Forecasts in Marble Bar ( hottest place in AU ) and London :D

858237549_Capture.JPGmarblebarforecast.JPG.4c71584056806e013baff0766d77910f.JPG

355087360_Capture.JPGlondonforecast.JPG.31f9aaf2846290bd4c53461654c9b036.JPG

The Bar is a warm old town, great this time of year, not so pleasant when it's not winter though. :D

Currently a very pleasant sunny 20c. We were expecting rain today but although it was very dark earlier in the day it's turned out to be quite nice.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:41 AM, Foxpalms said:

@UK_PalmsI'd say the chance of 40c temps is probably 60% if not more now possibly 41 42 43. I would place my bet on the hottest temps in the Heathrow/Northolt suburbs always slightly warmer than the airports there but in terms of official temperatures since the metoffice doesn't have any in the suburbs I would say Heathrow or Kew since the Northolt airport has a couple fields around it that cools the temps a bit whilst the suburbs around there don't hence why they are warmer Heathrow airport has less greenery around it so there is less stuff to reduce temps. I'm going to guess the record high will be 40.7c "officially" while some places on wunderground go up to 41 42c.  @cbmnz I personally don't think 40c in itself is dangerous if you stay hydrated even if the UK is unprepared (of course for elderly and young children it's more of a risk but in general) what will be the most dangerous thing is fires and very uncomfortable night for people who don't have ac. All the schools are still open on Monday ans Tuesday and whilst I think the majority of the UK children can go to school safely in 30c temps in the southeast and warmer parts they should definitely close them if it's 40c considering the majority 99.5% won't have ac only private schools and newer ones in London will I can see that being dangerous since UK buildings are designed to hold heat I couldn't imagine kids trying to learn in a classroom that's 37c+. I will be checking wunderground closely Sunday Monday Tuesday. By the looks of it the temps will cool down after Tuesday to mid to high 20s before going back to 30c next weekend. Metoffice have also said the first half of August will be warm or hot in the south east never mind 40c temps I just hope August stays at least 25c average highs so I can get some good growth on my queen palm it's already grown it's new spear 10 inches in the past week.

I’m not sure if it’s like it now, with schools having air conditioning, but when I went to school the cut off temp where kids were sent home was 38C. We only had ceiling fans back then. But if the forecast was above 38C they just closed and told everyone to stay home. As a kid we loved those days. I hope they shut the schools in the UK if the forecast is in the 40’s. For a country not used to that level of heat...............

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

The Bar is a warm old town, great this time of year, not so pleasant when it's not winter though. :D

On Feb 5 we were hotter than Marble Bar down here. It was 43.5C at my place and 44.2C at the airport. It felt like Marble Bar too. The heat tried to suck the life out of this place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

Currently a very pleasant sunny 20c. We were expecting rain today but although it was very dark earlier in the day it's turned out to be quite nice.

It got to a sunny 16.9C down here today, with a bit of drizzle. On Thursday Friday I spent a bit of time in the Collie to Arthur River area and it was wet up there. The dirt roads were so slushy they had the consistency of diarrhoea. It made cornering a bit dicey. Come down here and comparatively dry. Complete opposite to last year. 

• Like 2

Max of 26.8C / 80F on Friday here. I'm quite enjoying the cooler period now before the heatwave. Obviously it's still t-shit and shorts weather though. It is as dry as a bone too. Drier than you could ever imagine. The last measurable precipitation was almost 3 weeks ago now and that was only 1mm. The summer total so far stands at 0.6 inches at halfway stage.

Extreme heat warning issued by the Met Office and government

Here's the French ARPEGE chart showing 40C / 104F at a high grid level and 42C / 108F locally. General rule is to add 1-2C for ARPEGE in the UK during summer. So that would equate to about 43C / 110F somewhere locally. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. I think 40C / 104F is on the low end now and best case scenario.

FXuQo96VEAUJqRy.jpg.86cf9e095ee2bff6306140587abc6427.jpg

Latest UKV (Met Office) chart for comparison however shows 42C / 108F. This is 3 days out now pretty much.

FXx0CvnVUAEGXGM.jpg.ac69cbf96680845460190bbfc80febb8.jpg

FXyeS09UEAMTuJa.thumb.jpg.61954549323169912f5b5e3f4c5428a4.jpg

Despite the 40C+ temps in a few days time, it is more the drought and wildfire threat that is the main pressing concern for me here. I am observing serious dieback of native vegetation, even inside the shaded woodland areas. It's just too dry and too hot for native flora. Even before this heatwave arrives the average July max here so far is 26.1C, which is obviously quite a bit hotter than it used to be 20-30 years ago. This is exacerbating the extreme drought conditions already, before the main heat event, with native flora not being adapted to the changing climate. Every day now there is about 10-15 different wildfire incidents and that is just the ones I am hearing about.

FXxjmyNUEAA5bzp.thumb.jpg.ea95938212de260dc997499c74d20ad7.jpg

FXqJNuLUYAICkSv.thumb.jpg.81fd465df88420aab5643505668555dd.jpg

My front lawn is finished. Photo taken Thursday night, so it has got even worse since then...

1808097968_thumbnail_image0(22).thumb.jpg.3ddbd638033d8ee4873d3066493b05b3.jpg

Look at the state of Greenwich Park in London! They may have to relay the grass at the parks in London come September/October. It looks like somewhere in South Africa...

Currently 27.7C / 81F and rising here. It's the last 'mild' day with the heat really starting to ramp up tomorrow. I can smell smoke again on my property but can't work out what direction it is coming from. The 3 active fires nearby are contained but there may be a forest fire burning about a mile away to my east. All resources are deployed at the other fires so they won't be able to tackle it. We may need to draft up volunteer wildfire teams moving forward, whether for the rest of this summer, or for the coming years. 

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10AM temp..  For some reason, the Rialto Hills station is not online atm, so using the next nearest neighborhood station today ( is actually a little closer..  It too isn't always up )

1347369966_Screenshot2022-07-16at10-06-51ChandlerAZWeatherConditionsWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.a7543e77ed85262dadb33091d919b80d.png

On the way to 112-115F later ..W/ the humidity / Dew Point which both will likely rise a bit later on as a fairly decent Gulf Surge gets underway..

After two relatively quiet nights in the Valley ( Widely scattered storms vs. a valley- wide event ) looking like tonight could be quite active..  First " marginal " Severe Storm risk for the season.  As is the case on any night this time of year, while everything can look great going in,  remember, Monsoon season can be fickle..  Regardless,   hot, wall to wall sun outside atm across 90% of the state, humid and " dewy ",  and anticipate a big gulf surge transporting a lot of low level moisture into the state later..  We'll see how it all comes together..

111892163_Screenshot2022-07-16at10-08-30NWSPhoenix(@NWSPhoenix)_Twitter.png.5258937f456f778c41fda34d8638d5d5.png

Mike Leuthold's thoughts:
https://arizonawrf.blogspot.com/2022/07/20220716.html

How we're doing w/ lightning strike counts so far this year.. Slightly ahead of last year, and thankfully past 2020's dismal year..  If it turns out to be as active tonight as suggested, should add a nice chunk to this years total.. Using this graph, you can see why everyone here gets a little nervous when it comes to summer storm activity.. 2019 and '20 were just awful, w/ only 1991 and '93 being the next lowest- active years..

759532156_Screenshot2022-07-16at10-09-12NWSPhoenixonTwitter.thumb.png.bc01e02545004f884b8e8b26413c5e7d.png

Yesterday's Gulf Of California SST map:   ..Lookin' Good :greenthumb::greenthumb:..

810257835_Screenshot2022-07-16at10-18-34gulfcalf_fc.gif(GIFImage18781004pixels)Scaled(64).thumb.png.9a2f36331530b050697868842b38f7e6.png

Should tonight be a barn burner for the valley, ..and/ or Tucson, tomorrow should be quiet ..or quiet-er across most areas around the state.  Rare that you have two extremely active days in a row. ( ..would be nice of course :D )  

110F+ Heat hangs on for another day or so before falling back to around normal ( 106-109F )

Some back and forth w/ monsoonal activity forecast to start next week but looking like chances in the 20-30% range should be good here. 30-50% chances look good for Tucson.  Atm, looking like we should see a bigger uptick in overall activity sometime late next week / over next weekend.. Should that forecast idea verify, Temps. may fall back to the 100-105F range around that time here, 95-103F range down in Tucson..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Sunny, 43c (109.4F) - minimal wind and 11% humidity. Stay hydrated out there. :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently 14c at 9.00am heading for a rainy top of 18c with rain expected throughout the week with tops between 18c and 21c.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, amh said:

92F and 44% humidity.

Break out the parkas and fire up the space heaters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Break out the parkas and fire up the space heaters. 

I maxed out at only 98F today. Chilly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, amh said:

I maxed out at only 98F today. Chilly.

Hope you've got the snowmobile fuelled up, doesn't hurt to be prepared.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Hope you've got the snowmobile fuelled up, doesn't hurt to be prepared.

One of the few days below 100 this summer, but come next El Nino, I'll be complaining about too much rain and lack of heat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Max of 30C / 86F for me here on Saturday. It looks like I was probably one of the warmest places in the country, as I tend to be in high summer due to my inland southeast location.

484930146_thumbnail_image1(10).thumb.jpg.a7cc589642c063a6ec75d1c3b6adf800.jpg

1924222995_thumbnail_image0(23).thumb.jpg.112fd28b36f1151fd871227d54084020.jpg

Heathrow and Kew in west London both got up to 29C / 84F but slightly cooler than Guildford.

2 days out from judgement day, or should I say judgment DAYS, since there are two 40C+ days forecasted.

1061807228_Screenshot2022-07-16at16_30_24.thumb.png.547c87320eb3c4aecfe9677f75d0a5a3.png

BBC are forecasting 42C / 108F as far north as Sheffield in Yorkshire at 53N, which is the same latitude as Edmonton in Canada and Graham Island in British Colombia. Insane.

1894755203_Screenshot2022-07-17at12_46_51.thumb.png.9c3a308755bdbc945956128f238857c4.png

According to GFS we can expect 0-1mm / 0.03 inches of rain for the whole of July in London and southeast England now...

FXzotdQUcAI4V1J.thumb.jpg.451c268c70dc8d73354285ab8a96d948.jpg

There may be active desertification going on in southeast England due to extreme drought and Saharan sand being deposited. The drought must be the worst in Europe now.

-1x-1.thumb.jpg.e9db2d8aff3d5058bfabdfcb01fa5bb1.jpg

FXqPA01UUAI6BhA.thumb.jpg.67483cb655b152f184184e58724cc2d4.jpg

1903813537_FXoBSmgX0AAw44f2.thumb.jpg.7b8702cfacfcbaa940346b5df0448eee.jpg

294027608_944242013089373_8708592446620959971_n.jpg.d7fb4d6fd613286fa83379a85c519432.jpg

FXzhf-2UcAYIU75.thumb.jpg.58b831f37d8deb2b0f011b0255cd266a.jpg

FXuUX3SVsAEcWA1.thumb.jpg.a2fe8ff015ebeda2dee485610b64e296.jpg

London could almost pass for Phoenix, Arizona! This lot is about to get torched by 40C+ / 105F+ temps now with no rainfall in sight. It's already a literal dustbowl... :o

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

90f/32c in London 30% humidity. Highest temperature will probably be in the West London suburbs tomorrow around Heathrow and Northolt. Tuesday can go either way highest temp will be somewhere around Cambridge to Sheffield if the low pressure comes in early around 3pm but if London can hold onto the high pressure and warm air mass to around 6pm the hottest temperature will be in London either way since the official metoffice stations are at airports and parks in London which is cooler than the suburbs and city I would say the hottest official temperatures will be in Cambridge but the actual hottest temps if we can hold onto the high pressure will be in one of the following areas  (my guess) either Feltham,Hounslow,Southall,Northolt or Ruislip. A localised 43c wouldn't be out of the question.

Edited by Foxpalms
  • Like 2

It's currently 30ºC, after a high temperature of 31ºC, the hottest day of the year so far and hotter than anything last year.  Indoors starting to feel unpleasant given lack of air conditioning.  Outdoors is actually quite nice out of the sun when there is a breeze.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

34 minutes ago, Ryland said:

It's currently 30ºC, after a high temperature of 31ºC, the hottest day of the year so far and hotter than anything last year.  Indoors starting to feel unpleasant given lack of air conditioning.  Outdoors is actually quite nice out of the sun when there is a breeze.

What temperature is Manchester tomorrow and Tuesday? one positive thing with this heat is my mejol date palm seedling is growing fast for the first time not much of a breeze here. Another thing I haven't thought about till now is we may possibly break sea temperature records south end already over 20c

Edited by Foxpalms

Max of 31.4C / 89F here today. The last 'comfortable' day before this heatwave properly kicks in. It was still pretty warm though in general today even.

FX4-4AeXoAYyWn1.thumb.jpg.937fb74bc9a4ab06fd76cb0f0eaf4c10.jpg

I'm expecting a max of 40C / 104F tomorrow. Somewhere in west London may hit 41C / 106F as well as Cambridge and a few other spots in central England. I am expecting the all-time UK temperature record to fall tomorrow, however it will only last 24 hours as it will get beaten again the following day.

Tuesday definitely looks like the hotter day with 43-44C / 110-112F possible in central or northeastern England. London may have two consecutive days in the 41-42C / 107F range. Never thought I would see 44C / 112F on a BBC forecast for the UK. Chances are that won't happen. I reckon 42C / 108F tops really.

809912484_Screenshot2022-07-18at00_34_37.thumb.png.b99e64c6b1a35feb8147b38ed7217ebf.png

2135131049_Screenshot2022-07-18at01_06_53.thumb.png.056c94f191a74ad0a1bdb5e162343e85.png

Nighttime temps aren't going to be dropping below 29-30C / 85F in the bowels of London on Monday night. Given how unprecedented these sort of temperatures are, it is hard to say just how hot it will get, especially on Tuesday. You would think there would be a limit on what is possible, given the northern latitude and geographical location of the UK.

Tonights models are still predicting 42-43C / 108-110F as the high on Tuesday in quite a few places. Maybe they are wrong? We will find out in the next 18-36 hours. One thing that is certain however is that we have got a massive drought problem on our hands in coming days/weeks. Quite a few active fires burning tonight as well in places.

FX3s_RLXkAAwuta.thumb.jpg.d20ab24d835c6991d0ce44481c8d9edc.jpg

FX5xQE4WYAAfO6f.thumb.jpg.758f0b1ebe90db7337988e926bd32b63.jpg

293591702_1816145722057537_3944045720287784228_n.thumb.jpg.7aeb4deed2782fb26adbe8f69d6e2ca9.jpg

FX4jh-iXwAEByfk.thumb.jpg.ab996b8f2ab9c0fb82481751b299e479.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Very hot already here this morning at 11am. Currently 33C / 92F in the shade in my yard and heading for a high of 40C / 104F. Still 5-6 hours of solar heating to go yet.

1B7A606F-B821-4ED0-82AC-154225B2A434.thumb.jpeg.f68154acabcf77b91507f5d18263e337.jpeg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

Low last night was 71.1f. temperatures are  increasing by about 2-3c an hour today. Warmest at the moment is Northolt.

Screenshot_20220718-112258697 (1).jpg

I have reached 100F / 37.8C here now. There is still another 2 hours of solar heating to go. Maybe 3 hours. Temps are quite widely in the 36-38C range around west London. Heathrow & Kew Gardens now at 37C.

7BC7FE99-D8E0-4ACD-83ED-F253B2DAEB3D.thumb.jpeg.a1717f523e00e38937bdaeb17fc5fe9b.jpeg

72924D91-1148-4D20-9234-3E58A4FD3CBC.thumb.jpeg.dd5cb064937844af6fa519692bb9ecb5.jpeg

The first record to go is the all-time temp record in Wales and it is still rising by the minute…

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1