IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

4 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Officially, 109F (42c) with RH of 9%. Home weather station is currently reading 44.4c, however. 

I laid over in Mesquite last night & temperature was about 95F close to midnight :bemused:

Made my way into Hurricane this morning & you could definitely fill the heat building up. The heat loving palms are loving it!

• Upvote 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Hesperia, CA 10:20 pm PST, currently 84F/28.8C.

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

4 hours ago, Jubaea_James760 said:

I laid over in Mesquite last night & temperature was about 95F close to midnight :bemused:

Made my way into Hurricane this morning & you could definitely fill the heat building up. The heat loving palms are loving it!

Definitely - Brahea are very actively growing. Mesquite is a very hot town at times, with a 123F record :bummed: - I’ve always thought they should try Bismarkia / mules there.. it’s a good place to go for a Tall Robusta / Phoenix dactylifera fix, close by :greenthumb: 

• Like 2

We got a good bit of rain yesterday, but nothing like what Tampa got:

image.png.4006c3f3bc88a19c95f9a833aec62f30.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It was raining again when I walked the dog at sunrise, the yard was flooded again in all drainage paths.  It was not flooded when I went to bed.  We are being warned that retainer ponds are near overflowing which could cut off some roads.  Its 78F and now its a light drizzle, I cant complain that the rain brought cool weather but we dont need the rain, just the clouds would be nice.  Most of my palms just love this stuff, its obvious my container ranch absolutely loves rain vs hose water.  It seems like the 3 months of wet season is about 90% of my growth in container palms for the year.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Quick late night Wx check:  82F and HUMID ( 67% 71 deg Dew point ) Was clear earlier w/ strong storms positioned to the west and south of town. Clouding up now and looking like another stormy overnight night/ start of Wednesday is on the way.  Strong storms that raked the western part of Arizona earlier are currently moving over the mountains into coastal San Diego after dumping over the deserts out there.  Would not be surprised if scattered storms reach into the L.A. Basin overnight as well.

Waiting to hear yesterday's totals but Tucson has been seeing periods of heavy rain / flash flooding on and off through the day yesterday into this evening.  Also expecting more there overnight into tomorrow. Closer to the house, while Phoenix ( at sky harbor ) only got .10" Pretty sure i added another .50-1.00" here at the house. Roughly 2 miles to my southeast, a slow moving storm this morning dumped almost 4".  Rest of the East Valley saw between .30- 1.00" Will be interesting to see what falls tonight/ tomorrow morning.

Rest of the week is kind of up in the air.. Some forecasts suggest a couple down days w/ storms mainly confined to the mountains/ far S. AZ.. Others hint that the same disturbance over the state right now may hang around and even swing back south over central / S. AZ before another disturbance heads north out of Sonora sometime over the weekend / early next week.

Almost 1pm and its "blue sky sunny" , 92f, 56% RH with a breeze of 6 mph, this is what leads to afternoon thunderstorms.  We had a light rain yesterday in the late afternoon.  Everything got wet but not drenched so I let the irrigation system water overnight anyway as I have high drainage soil.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

4:17pm.PST  Aug/11/2021

95F

IMG_20210811_161700_1.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

IMG_20210811_165953_1.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

22 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Waiting to hear yesterday's totals but Tucson has been seeing periods of heavy rain / flash flooding on and off through the day yesterday into this evening.

Update on Tucson's rainfall totals:  Could they crack the #1 spot for wettest Monsoon?  let alone for the entire year?? Beyond impressive.  Time to step up our game Phoenix!

85F currently in the neighborhood. Back to the mid/ upper 90s tomorrow  w/ similar highs forecast Friday - middle of next week.. Could also see a stretch of lows in the mid/ upper 70s, ..to about 81F. on this side of town.  Temps look similar ( but lower ) down in Tucson, with lows possibly dipping to the low 70s, maybe flirting with the upper 60s. over the next several days.

Forecast lows across towns south of Tucson / closer to the Mexico border may dip into the low/ mid 60s the next several nights.. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Only made it to 100F today as some smoke moved in overnight and helped to shield the sun a bit. Another triple digit day tomorrow and then a bit of a cool down to 90s. 

• Like 2

Friday Morning / Weekend WX check: 84F, Dew Point/ Humidity: 71deg /63% ..Expecting a high of 96-98F though if clouds linger thru the day, might shave a couple deg. off the forecast high later..   Could be a very active evening ( and weekend ) ahead, storm -wise.. Multiple disturbances, and another fairly strong Inverted Trof ( IT ) headed west from W. TX / New Mexico guarantee more rain across the state between now and Monday.

For today/ tonight /early tomorrow, under both a marginal risk for severe storms, and a slight risk for elevated flood concerns across most of the state.

Areas from Flagstaff to Ajo east into New Mexico are under a Flash Flood Watch until Sunday.. Considering moisture / more potential disturbances rotating through the state could hang around into the early part of next week, wouldn't be surprised if the FFW is extended, at least for parts of the state.

With all the rain lately, soil in many areas is already quite saturated. Won't take much to get all the washes flowing again.. Same w/ some of the bigger rivers, esp. south of Phoenix. 

Will be interesting to see how much rain falls across Tucson since, as noted before, they're already at 9.15"  ~ 10th wettest so far ~.  Wettest Monsoon  -ever-  down there  is 13.84".  Rainfall rates the next few days could exceed 2"/ hour in any stronger storms that occur. Yesterday, some isolated stuff that formed north of Phoenix / down south were dropping 1.5-2" in less than 30min.  You can see it wouldn't be hard to add another 4-5" between now and Monday / Tuesday  ....and we still have another 48 days left in the season ( ends Sept. 30th ).

While it is looking wet for sure.. We'll see where the #'s end up next week..  If in the area, stay alert to the forecasts, and don't be a dummy and try to drive through flooded roadways / washes.

• Like 1

5:30pm

August 13, 2021

Spot check

IMG-20210813-WA0042.jpeg

• Like 1

12:47PM Temp check: Mostly sunny, 84F / 73Deg Dew Pt. / 70% Hum.  ..Mon - Sweaty, Soupy, Sticky out atm..

Despite how it looked on Radar / Satellite ..pretty much all around while attempting to capture more lightning shots out front, missed out on the heavy rain that racked Phoenix last night getting just another .25" in the neighborhood. Many spots surrounding saw .65" -1" / 1"+. Lots of flooding in parts of Phoenix where some of the stronger storms also brought winds in excess of 70MPH at times.

No worries, Atmosphere is thick w/ moisture / Sun is out, heating things up ..so we may see a near repeat ( Rain / wind at least ) again tonight ( hopefully laser focused over this side of town ( and the house:rolleyes::D this time around ).

That said, a tweet showing the epic light show last night around the Valley..  Is one reason i don't like airplanes, lol ** Credit to Chris Richardson **

From Storm Chaser / Professional Photographer  Lori Grace Bailey, Something you rarely see ..The Wilcox Playa, near the AZ / New Mexico Border ( Along the I-10 ) with  water in it.

BTW, Tucson is now up to 10.56" of rain.. Only 3.5" to go ( for the win )

• Like 3

Just enjoyed a little microburst - now a pleasant 80F with 47%RH. Afternoon high officially was 106F. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

IMG_20210815_195502_1_copy_6912x3888.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

89F / 71 Dew Pt. / 57% at 8:49am as i wait to see how the forecast for tonight is shaping up, after last night's WILD storm..

Really didn't look as we'd see much action, and it came late ..after lurking up in the mountains east / northeast of the valley most of the evening.   Even as it finally decided to roll off the mountains, into this side of the valley, didn't look all that nasty, ..that it would fall apart / dissipate  at first.. Then the BIG bolts started dropping..

Wasn't wide spread, area-wise, but ..have been here 5 years and that was a beast of a storm..  Wind wasn't as bad as some in the past, but this time, aside from a waterfall of water, had upward of penny -sized Hail ( possibly slightly larger ) dump over the house..  I've personally seen bigger, ( near baseball- sized ) while living in KS. but this was nuts.. Was like someone had scooped up all the 1"-1 1/2" rock in the yards / medical office across the street,  and steadily dumped it overhead..  Hail hitting the roof/ metal patio cover was so loud it drowned out everything else for a time.  Could hear it increase / decrease in intensity as it passed.

About an hour later, storm was gone, near clear again, and silent out.  Anticipating a repeat, if not potentially bigger/ stronger storms for the valley tonight. ..and possibly tomorrow night.  If that occurs,  that would be 5 days straight we've had back to back storms roll through the valley..  Which is pretty impressive compared to the pattern seen here in recent years / last decade or so. 

As for those bolts?  editing, but here's one shot,  taken..~ after ~ heading inside.  Missed a few good ones, but.. you'll see, later:winkie:

Only thing i hate about this shot is where it landed.. Can i get some biggies -out, in the open -, ...not trying to hide -in, or behind-  the tree?, lol..  Could be less blown out ( referring to brightness of the exposure ) as well, but that what happens when they're close, and wrapped in heavy rain / hail. ( and you're working with " eh " camera..  when it comes to photographing this particular subject anyway )

MOV05779_Moment(5).jpg.0cbd993f5bec043dc1a373bc11bfa765.jpg

We'll see what tonight brings..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Spot check

IMG_20210816_154649_1_copy_3888x6912.jpg

• Like 1

A summer I will remember as a mild summer, as Central Florida summers go.  Lower temperatures than average and much lower than most summers in recent memory has led to higher daytime humidity than most.  The higher than average cloud cover probably has had a lot to do with the depressed temperatures.  Rainfall has been near or maybe a bit below normal but consistent so we have not had those dry periods we have gotten during many summers in the past 20 years I have been keeping track.  We have also had a lack of intense and severe thunderstorms and less electrical storm activity than usual.

-Michael

• Like 1

Mon- Soupy and 90-94F in the 'hood at 9:35PM.. Humidity: 51%, Dew PT.: 70deg.. Watching stuff boiling up in the Mountains to the East / N. East through some smoky haze.. Waiting to see where it decides to go..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Watching stuff boiling up in the Mountains to the East / N. East through some smoky haze.. Waiting to see where it decides to go..

Well...  Currently 78F / Humidity ..and Dew Point both sitting at 69  at 9:06AM w/ a heavy sun shower..   After another round of crazy monsoon action.. Yes, storms decided to roll down off the mountains and over the valley, at least most of it last night. 

Like Sunday night's storm, came in fast and furious ..only this time it was more about the wind.. Epic light show again, but pretty fickle bolt- wise..  and no Hail this time, at least at the house. That said, wind reached 80-83MPH in spots as this line of storms raced across the area. Estimate winds were 60-70MPH at the house ...was out in the middle of it waiting for some strikes as the storm rolled in. 

Wind was apparently attention getting enough that it cracked into the top 20 twitter " most tweeted " topics briefly last night ..Nice to see something Phoenix- related on Twitter ..for something other than facebook -esque conspiracy theories and the states joke of a Governor.  ...Anyway..

Checking the Backyard after it moved out,  only damage was that the wind had tore off most of my shade canopy. Good thing clouds have stuck around into the morning while i get it back up.  Surprised to see my neighbor's Mesquites completely intact.

To the mid/ upper 90's again today, before potentially one last round of storms tonight/ overnight    ..then a break ( and less humidity ) for the rest of the week / into the start of next week as we see the first solid signs of changing seasons, and the forth coming end of Monsoon season 2021 across the southwest..  

Temps slowly climb back to the 100-104 or 5 range by next Monday. Nights, at least until the weekend, may stay in the mid/ upper 70s.. 80s might return overnight as the heat ticks up over the weekend/ Monday.

Tucson Record rain watch check: They're now at 11.84" after last nights activity..   Closer..

• Upvote 2

The past few days have been hot and fairly humid with highs ranging from 95-97F with mostly sunny skies.  We have still been getting scattered showers and thunderstorms so nothing is drying out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Winter here....and some nice winter temps.

Currently official temp is 21 degrees Celsius (70f), I recorded 23C in my yard in the shade at12.44pm.  Similar temps forecast for the next few days....

image.thumb.png.7e6898c6351626dd021850ad523a7379.png

@UK_Palms my queens look the worst of any winter so far here. One of them has not settled in since I planted it out, I believe the ground needs work. It has essentially died. It's still growing fine at the growing point but I doubt it'll be a good looker for a couple of years and a bad winter in a year's time could finish it off entirely. So I'm giving it a deadline of 31st December before ripping out and replacing.

The funny thing is the record low for Christchurch was around -5.3 (22.4F) (depending on where you're located) and my yard was -4.6 approximately. This didn't seem to affect them so much as some periods of prolonged really cold periods combined with strong winds, this seems to have dessicated the fronds and finished off what the frost started.

Fortunately temps with bright sun like this are already helping the others regain their colour and they should be sweet by mid summer. This is one of the reasons why I think Queens are long term here - periods of warm and sun are just what they need to balance out periods of cold and frost. But the same can't be said for some other parts of the world with prolonged cold winters and little recovery periods.

@sipalms You were nearly as warm as me today, as I recorded 24.2C here at 3pm. Nothing to brag about though as that is still pretty crap for late August, given that it was one of my warmest temperatures in recent weeks now. I have only gone above 25C once this month, which is terrible, and August is on course to have the lowest maxima in southern England in 40 years. A really, really poor month for me. Nothing in the garden is growing at even half the speed that it was last year. The 8 consecutive days above 35C and 2 days of 38C in mid August last year really kicked everything into growth overdrive for me. We simply haven't had that this year, especially after the abysmal spring and a poor summer in general. What a trash year lol. 

1753056631_Screenshot2021-08-22at23_37_35.thumb.png.7889c225a2c8fc7e9fbb5a67f8c3d29b.png

Last year my Queens put out 4-5 fronds between May - September. This year they have only put out 2-3, including a deformed, scraggly frond earlier in the spring. The smaller Queen is putting out growth normally and I can see it actively growing with each passing day, however the bigger queen is almost dormant. I can't even tell whether it is definitely growing still. It's either growing extremely slowly, possibly gone dormant, or potentially kicked the bucket. Hard to say. Either way I am really disappointed in the growth. The year I actually plant them out we end up having a record breaking cold spring and a crap summer. So typical. Assuming they make it to winter, I have to hope it is a mild one for us, unlike last winter which was bad too. I had two separate occasions, in January and February, where temperature did not rise above freezing for at least 48 hours. Absolute low was -6.8C here. The Queens took at least -5C unprotected on one night. Then the terrible April and May weather. I'll post photo updates on them this coming week.

I guess I'll know over the next week or two whether the bigger Queen is still pushing growth, since we have sunnier and slightly warmer conditions for the next 10-14 days, although still bang average temperatures for the time of year. 22-23C highs and 14C lows. Proper heat and above average conditions have been very hard to come by this year. As has decent amounts of sunshine hours. Above average nighttime temperatures due to all the cloud cover, combined with two lacklustre heatwaves have totally skewed the figures for this summer. It will come out looking pretty average when in reality it has been very poor here. Ask anyone on my street and they will tell you the same thing - below average sunshine hours, two lacklustre 'heatwaves'. as well as too much rain and overcast conditions. As I have said, I rate this summer a 2/10 here, given that last summer was a 5/10 and significantly warmer, drier and sunnier.

I'm trying to get hold of Butia x Queen (Mule) seeds, or a seedling that I can plant. Jubaea x Queen as well as Butia x Jubaea x Queen are also on my hit list. They would obviously do a lot better for me here and probably the closest I can get to a long term Queen lookalike here. Unfortunately it is near on impossible to get them here. I have been trying for 2-3 years now to get them with no luck. I am also going to have to do something with the 25 small Santa Catarina Queens that I have. I tossed them down the side of the shed back in June and haven't really checked them since. I know they're growing still, slowly. Might force them to sit out during this coming winter so I can ween out the men from the boys. At least I have back ups should the bigger Queen, or both of them, not make it through this coming winter. I'm praying its a mild one, but long range forecasts say otherwise.

Less snowfall though potentially, which could mean colder than average conditions still. Obviously it's impossible to predict accurately that far ahead...

E858AozVoAcMw9H.thumb.jpg.418f3d13d6f264ae9e3ce0e055ab2908.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

A few pleasant winter days here in Perth with plenty of sunshine before some more rain coming in towards the end of the week. Sitting on 19c at the moment.

Screenshot_20210823-130742.png

Sunday night Wx check: 88F in the neighborhood, mid 80's to about 90F around the east  valley. Humidity / Dew point currently 36% / 57deg..  A mostly dry and toasty week ahead before rain chances return ( to the valley / low deserts at least ) sometime next weekend.. as August wraps up / September starts. Rain chances gradually increase across the High country/ Southeast AZ thru the week, with maybe less activity Wednesday, and or Thursday as the high to our southeast peaks before shifting to a better position to pull up moisture again..

Highs stay in the 103-107F range thru Wednesday, then attempt reaching 109-111F on Wednesday or Thursday, before retreating back to the 99-102F range by Sunday / Monday next week as moisture increases..  While late August / early September can still see 110F heat, sun angle is starting to get lower faster now  w/ the sun setting at 7PM on Wednesday, and the sun angle at 280deg by next Tuesday ( Sun rising at 6:01am / setting at 6:53PM local time that day as well ) so getting tougher to sustain extended, extreme heat, if we see any as September starts.

Might not matter anyway because numerous signals atm continue to suggest another wet pattern setting up for AZ ( Possibly N.M. / UT / and parts of S. Cal < at least > ) for the first week of September, maybe into week 2..  How wet? we'll just have to see.. As usual, lots of different scenarios playing out day to day in the models.. Could be quite wet, might not be, at least for the low deserts/ western AZ.. Regardless, coming into " Transition Season " < When the westerlies start migrating south, and the subtropical " Monsoon / 4 -Corners " High starts to retreat back into Mexico / Southeast toward the Caribbean >, and the Eastern Pacific off Mexico still looks reasonably active for the time being.

As has happened with Grace, seeing other potential activity that may form in.. or head west across the Gulf of Mexico try to keep moving west across Mexico, or N.W. along the Mex. TX border toward the Pacific / Southwest / Nor. West Mexico.. Under the right conditions, all that moisture can get drawn north into the Southwest, and/ or N. west toward S. Cal.  ...Just have to wait and see how this pattern, if it sets up as hinted to, plays out..  Hoping for quite a wet finale to Monsoon 2021, and crossing my fingers a good chunk of CA can get in on a few good downpours as well before things wind down..

Tucson, now at 11.86",  is just 2.02" from cracking that elusive #1 spot..  2.02"...  That's one good downpour over where the official total is recorded. 

Phoenix is at 3.37" so far.  Normal, for the season, is 2.43.. So not too bad..  To reach 10th wettest,  the official gauge at Sky Harbor has to get a little more than 5.99" ( the current 10th wettest amount ) ..Can we do it?   Seems to always miss out on all the big downpours that have soaked other parts of town so far. 

2014 was the last time Phoenix came in above 6" for the Monsoon..  Gotta go all the way back to 1984  for anything above that. ( is the wettest year on record )

How much gas is left in the tank?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wednesday eve Wx check:  104F in the neighborhood,  101-105F around the East Valley at 7PM MST..  Dew Points are back up..55deg atm after bottoming out below 50deg yesterday.. Humidity, a dry 20% though.  

A HOT end to the week, before ..what may be the last big " Hurrah "  for the 2021 Monsoon season ramps up again over the weekend/ next week.. 

Highs look to crack the 110F mark both tomorrow and Friday ( 111-113F forecast for Chandler and various other parts of town ) before slowly trending back down to around 100F by Sunday / Monday, and possibly back to the mid- upper 90s mid- week..

Moisture continues to slowly trickle in from the east / up from the south over the next 3 days, with storm activity slowly increasing across more of the rim/ rest of the high country/ mountains,  then gradually increasing across the lower deserts starting next week.. How long this pattern sticks around?, this time around?   tough to say atm..  Some interesting things in the longer range forecasts could keep chances going for the first 10-15 days of September,  or we could see a couple decent rain chances, then back to warm/ dry,   with most storms staying mostly up in the mountains.. Lots of different scenarios still playing out in day to day model runs, let alone each individual run itself..

One thing worth paying attention to, ...a potential " shot in the arm " moisture and storm chances wise, from what might be a couple different opportunities to see remnant moisture ( at the vary least ) stream into the region from the south from tropical stuff.. 

First up:..  Maybe a moisture surge from Nora, if she forms off Mexico, as suggested here, and progresses north as suggested in the Spaghetti on the right..

These events are very tough to forecast, so, this is a definite " wait and see "  Could be great, over a wide area, ..or not much at all -for most..

Starting to see the suggestion of snow sneaking into some model runs at times in the mountains of British Columbia, maybe Montana.. and parts of eastern Canada, closer to the US/ CAN. border.. a very obvious hint of change..

Regardless, a couple maps of how much the region has greened up from all the summer rain this year.. Not something anyone can doubt, Have seen it first hand both in the yard, and out and about.. Some are calling this summer's epic monsoon a once in a generational event..  We'll see if years like this become more common,sprinkled between very dry summers in the future. Definitely a nice change of pace, for the moment at least..

AZ itself:

Wider view of the Southwestern US region:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

August 26, 2021

9:50PM (PST)

16300397952246188577753884920968.jpg

IMG_20210826_230301_1_copy_2592x4608.jpg

91F / 62deg / 37% at 8:06AM MST on the way to one last afternoon above 110F, ..at least around the East Valley / most of Phoenix. Deserts to the west stay hot for another day or so..  Moisture continues it's slow but steady increase w/ storm chances expanding west toward Phoenix thru the weekend.. We'll see if any rogue activity can make it off the higher terrain by Sunday, ..if not tomorrow..

Things continue to look interesting for next week..

Looking at the latest thoughts from the Hurricane Center..  perhaps more interesting.. 

Still a few days for everything to change radically, so we'll see how the forecasts look on Sunday..  At the very least, solid surge of moisture off the Gulf of CA looks good for early to the middle of next week across the state / region.  We'll see if we can nail something even rarer..  ..and this might be the 1st of a few potential tropically- enhanced rain events of the season, let alone September..   

Heat fades away as moisture surges in starting  Monday.. Possible, depending on rain/ cloud cover, we might stay in the mid/ upper 80s Tuesday and/or Wed. W/ PWats increasing to 2" ( if not a bit more, depending on future forecasts ) across the area, low/ lower mid 90s would be the highest temps could go anyway w/ more sun on those days, at least around the area.. Could stay hotter west of PHX, depending on clouds / potential rain next week.. 

We'll see how much moisture works into S. Cal.    ..if not this round,  possibly the next.  Would be nice to see a monster storm lurk just off San Diego, then drench everyone... ( yea, wishful thinking.. perhaps )

You already know my thoughts, Bring it!!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

98F

Summer has finally arrived in my part of the world. Currently 26C / 78F here at 4pm, which is actually the warmest it has been in 6 weeks, since 22nd July here!!! That's how bad the second half of summer was for us. I'm expecting 29C / 85F tomorrow and then potentially 32C / 90F on Tuesday and Wednesday.

It could end up being the hottest day of the year next week, which is quite unusual for September, being this far from the equator. It happened in 2016 though after a dreadful summer, which only reached 31C, only for September to then reach 34C / 94F that year. September seems to be one of our better months nowadays, often outperforming August. That will certainly be the case this year with higher temperatures and more sunshine hours in September, compared to August.

It's very dry here again too. I have only recorded 0.08 inches of rainfall over the past 4 weeks and probably won't get much more this month. The next few days are going to basically be like what I should normally expect in late July - early August. Certainly better than what I experienced during that period this summer.

gfs_T850a_eu_13.jpg.ad8d1c68989e5c4207a376ba952e7823.jpg

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Cooling off for the evening. Currently 102F 11% RH. High was 106F. Pretty hot for September. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hutch said:

That's toasty for sure...only hit 83 today here that seems tame compared to 105 +...

We had one day on the upper 80s last week due to some moisture. It was a nice treat. Though the next two days should be hotter, I’ll take it. Last year was 110 on this date. So it can always be worse. Average should be mid 90s. 

• Upvote 1

A balmy 78F after some afternoon rain:

image.png.e13b75baba248feb2e26ee7e3e876e96.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Cooling off for the evening. Currently 102F 11% RH. High was 106F. Pretty hot for September. 

About the same here.. and supposed to stay around 104-107 the rest of the week, over the weekend..  At least it is trying to cool off over night now and not still 110 ( + ) like this time last year. 

We'll see what happens but that last little surge of moisture from what was left of Nora might be it for awhile, if not what is left of this years' Monsoon season, ~ unless you're south of Tucson.. They might get a little more rain before the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Currently 31C / 88F here at 12:30pm with at least another 3 hours of solar heating to go. Not a cloud in the sky, so it should end up being the hottest day of the year here, in theory. 

08A04713-69F2-4F7E-9C66-CF35C7EB8B99.thumb.jpeg.32b990d854ed6cb5d551326fe5b5e16c.jpeg

• Upvote 3