IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Feels absolutely disgusting today. 83F with 77% humidity and overcast skies, wind sustained around 10 mph with gusts up to 15-20 right now. Heat index in the low 90's.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

3 hours ago, JLM said:

Feels absolutely disgusting today. 83F with 77% humidity and overcast skies, wind sustained around 10 mph with gusts up to 15-20 right now. Heat index in the low 90's.

Today we had a high of 98 with a heat index of 105 yikes.  Thankfully we are going to be a cool 90° tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Today we had a high of 98 with a heat index of 105 yikes.  Thankfully we are going to be a cool 90° tomorrow.

Those days are only a month and a half away from here. 

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Well yesterday morning between 2am and around 5.30am the skies opened up and we got 55mm of rain. Just 30kms east of me got 95mm of rain!!

Anyway all my lakes are now full and the stream is fully flowing and this normally doesn't happen until well into winter. Last year that didn't happen until August 4 and yesterday was May 3, way ahead of schedule. The earliest Ive ever seen it. So far we are sitting at just over 260mm for the year. This time last year was around 108mm for the year. We currently have received what we should in an average year by the end of May and we basically have all of May to go yet. Long term forecast has us with about another 60mm in the next ten days. 

Temps are still in the low twenties Celsius but next week we plummet into winter temp territory.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Very dark and gloomy looking outside at the moment, I think we're only minutes away from the sky opening up. Winter is well and truly knocking on the door now.

Screenshot_20210504-130735.png

• Like 1

We made it to 33.6c today in Darwin. Was32c at 5.30pm yesterday afternoon. 
The thermal gradient between the land and sea at this time of year is at its weakest. The sea breeze can struggle as a result.
Gkwc9AL.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

Very dark and gloomy looking outside at the moment, I think we're only minutes away from the sky opening up. Winter is well and truly knocking on the door now.

Screenshot_20210504-130735.png

By contrast its been blue skies all day today. Weird right. There's a few clouds to the east and it is slowly building up. The sky is meant to open up with rain from around 9, 10 tonight.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The weather is absolutely dreadful here at the moment. I have just been battered by a storm with 50mph winds and I didn't even get above 12.8C (55F) on Monday. This is by far our coldest spring ever, dating back well into the 1800's. It's been relatively dry and sunny, up until now, but temperatures have been widely below average since start of April. Like massively below average for weeks on end. I have never seen it this cold, this late on in spring.

A number of records have tumbled here in the past few days, for my location and the UK as a whole...

APRIL

- Sunniest April on record for UK (average of 225 hours).

- My driest April on record (0.13 inches or 3mm - some places had 0.0 inches)

- Coldest April in a century for UK, since 1922.

- Coldest Average low temperature on record for April in England and Scotland. 

- 2nd coldest temperature ever recorded in April for UK (-9.4C in Scottish Highlands)

- Most April frosts on record for UK (I personally recorded 22 here, when my average is just 5 for April)

- First time I have ever seen snow in April in my lifetime. 

MAY

- My coldest May temperature in 66 years (-2.1C during early hours of 1st May)

- Coldest May Day holiday on record (14C nowhere in UK exceeded this temp)

- Coldest start to a May for the UK since 1957

- Coldest ever start to a May on record for Scotland

- Highest wind speed recorded in May since 1901.

All my frost tender veg plants are back inside due to the poor weather and the risk of frost in the coming nights. So much for global warming. This spring is turning into a nightmare scenario. I don't know how it can be this cold, this late on...

thumbnail_image0-31.thumb.jpg.ce239d70ac8a9ee19326f90b62c839c9.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

18 hours ago, Tyrone said:

By contrast its been blue skies all day today. Weird right. There's a few clouds to the east and it is slowly building up. The sky is meant to open up with rain from around 9, 10 tonight.

We had a fantastic dose of rain overnight, we received 46mm with more to come over the next few days. I think the forecast for today is 24c but with more rain which is great. Even better is it's supposed to be clearing on Friday for a relatively fine weekend, happy about all of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

We had a fantastic dose of rain overnight, we received 46mm with more to come over the next few days. I think the forecast for today is 24c but with more rain which is great. Even better is it's supposed to be clearing on Friday for a relatively fine weekend, happy about all of that.

Gotta be happy with that. We only received about 3mm of rain overnight but it was just constant light rain. It's fully cloudy and lightly raining at the moment. We've got a wet day tomorrow and then rain is back on Saturday night and for the foreseeable future. Days around 20C and high teens. Nights in the teens and high dew points too. Good for growing stuff that likes milder weather and of course weeds get supercharged about now.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:11 PM, UK_Palms said:

The weather is absolutely dreadful here at the moment. I have just been battered by a storm with 50mph winds and I didn't even get above 12.8C (55F) on Monday. This is by far our coldest spring ever, dating back well into the 1800's. It's been relatively dry and sunny, up until now, but temperatures have been widely below average since start of April. Like massively below average for weeks on end. I have never seen it this cold, this late on in spring.

A number of records have tumbled here in the past few days, for my location and the UK as a whole...

APRIL

- Sunniest April on record for UK (average of 225 hours).

- My driest April on record (0.13 inches or 3mm - some places had 0.0 inches)

- Coldest April in a century for UK, since 1922.

- Coldest Average low temperature on record for April in England and Scotland. 

- 2nd coldest temperature ever recorded in April for UK (-9.4C in Scottish Highlands)

- Most April frosts on record for UK (I personally recorded 22 here, when my average is just 5 for April)

- First time I have ever seen snow in April in my lifetime. 

MAY

- My coldest May temperature in 66 years (-2.1C during early hours of 1st May)

- Coldest May Day holiday on record (14C nowhere in UK exceeded this temp)

- Coldest start to a May for the UK since 1957

- Coldest ever start to a May on record for Scotland

- Highest wind speed recorded in May since 1901.

All my frost tender veg plants are back inside due to the poor weather and the risk of frost in the coming nights. So much for global warming. This spring is turning into a nightmare scenario. I don't know how it can be this cold, this late on...

thumbnail_image0-31.thumb.jpg.ce239d70ac8a9ee19326f90b62c839c9.jpg

Eek those frosts are nasty - I'm surprised, especially so far south.  I've also experienced the low daytime temperatures, though I didn't have the frosts (2 barely frosts in April).  I'm jealous of your balmy 12.8C on Monday - it only reached 8.8C here, the coldest May day I've ever seen in this location.  Hoping for some normal temps soon, but I don't see much promise of it forecast (looks like we might get some days which would be normal in April).

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

3 hours ago, Ryland said:

Eek those frosts are nasty - I'm surprised, especially so far south.  I've also experienced the low daytime temperatures, though I didn't have the frosts (2 barely frosts in April).  I'm jealous of your balmy 12.8C on Monday - it only reached 8.8C here, the coldest May day I've ever seen in this location.  Hoping for some normal temps soon, but I don't see much promise of it forecast (looks like we might get some days which would be normal in April).

I really am in utter disbelief as to just how terrible this spring has been. It has been absolutely abysmal. I mean at this point the entire season has pretty much been a right-off this year. Usually we see several spikes of heat during April and May with the odd 20-25C day here and there, sometimes even a 30C day in late April/early May, but we have had nothing above 20C since the late March warm spell. It has just been consistent 8-16C temps for what... 5-6 weeks now. If we're lucky, we may see 20C on Sunday, but the longer range forecast still looks pretty crap, as you mention. I have never seen such a bleak looking forecast in May, ever. I'm only expecting a high of 11C tomorrow! 11C in May!!! 

I was speaking to my 84 year old neighbour today and he said he has never experienced a spring so cold. It was certainly the coldest April on record, by both average low temperature, and the most frosts recorded. I'm just hoping that May doesn't give April a run for its money, as the current forecast doesn't look great. Temperatures are trending upwards, but nothing like the springs of recent years. We're going to have to hope that the second half of May is much warmer than the first half, which statistically you would expect. But this spring has taught me to expect the unexpected. I wouldn't be shocked if the cold continues, but then it suddenly heats up towards the end of the month and this June ends up being the hottest on record.  

I'm actually surprised how mild your nights have been up there as well. Your proximity to the Atlantic must have something to do with it, but I also suspect Manchester has a considerable UHI effect which is keeping your temperatures mild at night. I'm out in the rural countryside so it can get pretty cold here on clear nights, especially in winter. There is no UHI and I am about 35 miles inland from the coast here. I mean I saw -6C this winter just gone and I also saw -4C on one night in April as well during a bad radiation frost. As I write this, the temperature is already down to 3C at 11:30pm here. If the skies clear, I could see a low of 0C here tonight. In May!!!

Also, did you guys get hit badly by the storm on Monday night? It was pretty bad down here. We had wind gusts of 55-60mph and quite a bit of carnage come morning. Lots of trees down, pots broken, stems snapped, and crap strewn all over the garden. But again, storms like that never happen in May, which is a testament to just how bad this spring really is. That was like a turbulent November Atlantic storm the other night, in bloody May. I've never seen that before. And then today I had to drag all my veg plants and seedlings indoors due to hail. We had hail stones the size of marbles come down, destroying some of my pepper seedlings. Worst. Spring. Ever. Like for real. 

The all time May record could be broken tonight in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England, it is actually that cold. I do not like the look of those temperatures outside of the towns and cities. I'm expecting to go down to about 0C here tonight... 

At least it is going to warm up a bit in the coming days...

Edited by UK_Palms

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

5 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I really am in utter disbelief as to just how terrible this spring has been. It has been absolutely abysmal. I mean at this point the entire season has pretty much been a right-off this year. Usually we see several spikes of heat during April and May with the odd 20-25C day here and there, sometimes even a 30C day in late April/early May, but we have had nothing above 20C since the late March warm spell. It has just been consistent 8-16C temps for what... 5-6 weeks now. If we're lucky, we may see 20C on Sunday, but the longer range forecast still looks pretty crap, as you mention. I have never seen such a bleak looking forecast in May, ever. I'm only expecting a high of 11C tomorrow! 11C in May!!! 

I was speaking to my 84 year old neighbour today and he said he has never experienced a spring so cold. It was certainly the coldest April on record, by both average low temperature, and the most frosts recorded. I'm just hoping that May doesn't give April a run for its money, as the current forecast doesn't look great. Temperatures are trending upwards, but nothing like the springs of recent years. We're going to have to hope that the second half of May is much warmer than the first half, which statistically you would expect. But this spring has taught me to expect the unexpected. I wouldn't be shocked if the cold continues, but then it suddenly heats up towards the end of the month and this June ends up being the hottest on record.  

I'm actually surprised how mild your nights have been up there as well. Your proximity to the Atlantic must have something to do with it, but I also suspect Manchester has a considerable UHI effect which is keeping your temperatures mild at night. I'm out in the rural countryside so it can get pretty cold here on clear nights, especially in winter. There is no UHI and I am about 35 miles inland from the coast here. I mean I saw -6C this winter just gone and I also saw -4C on one night in April as well during a bad radiation frost. As I write this, the temperature is already down to 3C at 11:30pm here. If the skies clear, I could see a low of 0C here tonight. In May!!!

Also, did you guys get hit badly by the storm on Monday night? It was pretty bad down here. We had wind gusts of 55-60mph and quite a bit of carnage come morning. Lots of trees down, pots broken, stems snapped, and crap strewn all over the garden. But again, storms like that never happen in May, which is a testament to just how bad this spring really is. That was like a turbulent November Atlantic storm the other night, in bloody May. I've never seen that before. And then today I had to drag all my veg plants and seedlings indoors due to hail. We had hail stones the size of marbles come down, destroying some of my pepper seedlings. Worst. Spring. Ever. Like for real. 

The all time May record could be broken tonight in Northern Ireland, Scotland and England, it is actually that cold. I do not like the look of those temperatures outside of the towns and cities. I'm expecting to go down to about 0C here tonight... 

At least it is going to warm up a bit in the coming days...

Yikes, that's cold so close to summer even for you guys in the UK.

Although our Spring just gone was considerably warmer than yours I remember saying similar sort of things during our Spring here on the south coast of Western Australia. Even in December we had cold weather for us and relentless cold winds and drizzle. December 2020 was not a typical December even for where we are. Maybe South Island NZ. Our hottest month was March 2021 which technically was Autumn not Summer, and it's been wet too.

8 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Yikes, that's cold so close to summer even for you guys in the UK.

Although our Spring just gone was considerably warmer than yours I remember saying similar sort of things during our Spring here on the south coast of Western Australia. Even in December we had cold weather for us and relentless cold winds and drizzle. December 2020 was not a typical December even for where we are. Maybe South Island NZ. Our hottest month was March 2021 which technically was Autumn not Summer, and it's been wet too.

Yes, bitterly cold for the time of year. A continuation of the record breaking cold that we saw in April, which is now lasting well into May.

Spring is typically dry for me here and I consequently only had 3mm of rainfall this April. The days were closer to average in the 10-15C range, but it was just the nights where I saw radiation frost after radiation frost under the clear skies. Lots of -2C and -3C lows overnight in April, a record breaking number, but very dry across the month. So dry that frost didn't really form.

May has started off equally cold with highs of 10-15C, but nights have been marginally warmer due to increased cloud cover and more precipitation. We've had it all in recent days - drizzle, heavy rain, hail, 60mph winds. The start of May has felt more like the start of November here. I just can't believe how bad this spring has been so far, especially in terms of temperature. It has been the worst spring on record, by far. Going back hundreds of years. 

I mean I certainly complain about the weather and temperatures down here in southern England, but I see they have actually had a foot of snow overnight in Scotland! That's crazy even for up there. This picture is up in Inverness. Probably another record breaker...

E0sa-wlXEAAXpnH.thumb.jpg.0ab851066eb6dd078353ea3b3d7eaee6.jpg

It sounds like you guys experience some seasonal lag, similar to us here. The warmest month seems to come 2-3 months after maximum solar insolation (summer solstice) and likewise the coldest month comes 2-3 months after the minimum winter insolation. It just seems very pronounced this year, with you guys having cool and wet weather in December and your warmest month in March. Likewise here, December was very mild and wet for us and February - April was actually colder than December for us. So the seasonal lag has been very pronounced in places this year.

It was rather pronounced for us last summer with our hottest period coming in mid-August with a week straight of 35C+ highs here. So I am expecting similar again this year, given the cold spring. August-September will probably be the hottest period, in theory. It is possibly evidence of climate change and the seasons shifting. Autumn/fall was very mild last year and my first frost was delayed by a number of weeks. However the date of my last frost has obviously been prolonged this season. 

Hopefully we reach 20C on Sunday here, otherwise it will be the first time in my lifetime that we have not reached 20C during the first week of May. Temperatures are definitely trending upwards, looking at the forecast. But still no proper heat in the forecast. So far March 30th has been the hottest day this year haha. That was 6 weeks ago. You couldn't write it. Anyway, here's the longer range forecast for London, which doesn't look too bad moving forward now...

331292732_Screenshot2021-05-06at13_39_15.thumb.png.ff41eb3675f68b202b21425fd48a2147.png

Edited by UK_Palms

On 5/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, UK_Palms said:

Yes, bitterly cold for the time of year. A continuation of the record breaking cold that we saw in April, which is now lasting well into May.

Spring is typically dry for me here and I consequently only had 3mm of rainfall this April. The days were closer to average in the 10-15C range, but it was just the nights where I saw radiation frost after radiation frost under the clear skies. Lots of -2C and -3C lows overnight in April, a record breaking number, but very dry across the month. So dry that frost didn't really form.

May has started off equally cold with highs of 10-15C, but nights have been marginally warmer due to increased cloud cover and more precipitation. We've had it all in recent days - drizzle, heavy rain, hail, 60mph winds. The start of May has felt more like the start of November here. I just can't believe how bad this spring has been so far, especially in terms of temperature. It has been the worst spring on record, by far. Going back hundreds of years. 

I mean I certainly complain about the weather and temperatures down here in southern England, but I see they have actually had a foot of snow overnight in Scotland! That's crazy even for up there. This picture is up in Inverness. Probably another record breaker...

E0sa-wlXEAAXpnH.thumb.jpg.0ab851066eb6dd078353ea3b3d7eaee6.jpg

It sounds like you guys experience some seasonal lag, similar to us here. The warmest month seems to come 2-3 months after maximum solar insolation (summer solstice) and likewise the coldest month comes 2-3 months after the minimum winter insolation. It just seems very pronounced this year, with you guys having cool and wet weather in December and your warmest month in March. Likewise here, December was very mild and wet for us and February - April was actually colder than December for us. So the seasonal lag has been very pronounced in places this year.

It was rather pronounced for us last summer with our hottest period coming in mid-August with a week straight of 35C+ highs here. So I am expecting similar again this year, given the cold spring. August-September will probably be the hottest period, in theory. It is possibly evidence of climate change and the seasons shifting. Autumn/fall was very mild last year and my first frost was delayed by a number of weeks. However the date of my last frost has obviously been prolonged this season. 

Hopefully we reach 20C on Sunday here, otherwise it will be the first time in my lifetime that we have not reached 20C during the first week of May. Temperatures are definitely trending upwards, looking at the forecast. But still no proper heat in the forecast. So far March 30th has been the hottest day this year haha. That was 6 weeks ago. You couldn't write it. Anyway, here's the longer range forecast for London, which doesn't look too bad moving forward now...

331292732_Screenshot2021-05-06at13_39_15.thumb.png.ff41eb3675f68b202b21425fd48a2147.png

Same here, it's been a bad spring.  At least the sunny April joined up with outdoor pubs opening, so that was fine by me.  I like the look of that Met Office clip with "mild tropical maritime air" coming up this way.

You asked about the storm - yes we had it here too, causing lots of tree rubbish everywhere, loads of wind and rain.  There was a tiny bit of small hail but hardly worth noting.  Unfortunately it followed straight after I had planted out a few palms, but I think they'll be ok.  It did seem an unusual sort of storm for the time of year.  I'm glad to see some warmer temps are coming soon - though looks like we'll get soaked again.  One thing that has been crazy is the huge temperature differences between England and Scotland - I used to live in Edinburgh, also Stirling, and usually it was within a couple degrees of Manchester throughout the year, but sometimes you get some very big differences, more often in Winter.  That snow in the Inverness area is something else - I'm sure even there it's unusual to have snow in May.

One thing that's nice about my little garden is even on the cool days, if it's sunny it really can get baking because of the brick and stone.  Despite the cold spring every palm is growing nicely!

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

A hot, but not horrible 93-97F early Friday evening  around the east valley atm. Slightly cooler ( if 92-95 is " cool " ) for the weekend/ early next week before another bump to the low 100s next weekend.  Race to the 100s crossed the finish line Wed and yesterday occurring about on- schedule for the year, but a bit later than when we have seen our first 100 readings in the last 10 years.

May update of the monthly NMME plots from the CPC are out and as the summer ahead comes into better focus, not all that thrilled w/ how things might be looking.. NOAA's call for a wet-ish/ somewhat above average Monsoon for Arizona and the Southwest in general -might- be a bit more hopeful than how things play out   and while obviously months away, already early hints in the October- December time frame for more drier than normal conditions across California ( and most other areas of the Southwest ) across most of the models for each month.   Will be interesting to see how this data factors in when this month's  NOAA 30, 60, 90, etc day forecasts are issued mid- month.

SST plots for the same time frame suggest LA Nina cooling may cling to life over the East Pacific. Watching current trends out there, how these plots / other data looks as summer ends in September may definitely change. ( Sea Surfc. Temps could trend either side of Neutral by then )

On a related note, and closely related to how this summer's Monsoon could play out, Mexico is looking quite dry atm. Watching to see how things look come the start of June when the rainy season there starts it's northward creep.

From Climatologist Mike Crimmins ( Tucson )

Full story:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/148270/widespread-drought-in-mexico

87F with low humidity and sunny skies.

It looks like this year's rainy season will come to a sputtering start as hot days with seabreeze induced storms alternate with late season fronts bringing cooler temperatures and zero rain chances.

• Like 1

Slight improvement in the weather here. I reached 19C / 66F on Sunday and I'm only expecting a low of 10C / 50F tonight. I'm starting to get the tomatoes, peppers and tropical plants outdoors now that all threat of frost is gone. Hopefully we get some proper warmth at some point before May is out, to make up for this dreadful spring so far.

There was a couple of tornadoes here yesterday up north which was caught on film. Check out the person just casually walking to their car and going about their day, with the small twister raging around them lol...

Edit - the direct link won't work so it's on the BBC site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tyne-57033510

E0uVIFgXIAQ_Xdy.jpg.9a8e8d9740fddeb7cb93c96ca073cd94.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Upvote 1

While not quite a record, it is currently 25.2C /77F here at 3.33pm on 11th May. 

20 days away from the official start of winter, we have had an exceptionally mild fall and they're talking of a good chance of a warmer than average winter.

image.png.c337528fed9570136ae6c6d4d43368ce.png

• Like 2

Same here mate, whilst not a record got to 29c, pretty warm this close to winter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, sipalms said:

While not quite a record, it is currently 25.2C /77F here at 3.33pm on 11th May. 

20 days away from the official start of winter, we have had an exceptionally mild fall and they're talking of a good chance of a warmer than average winter.

image.png.c337528fed9570136ae6c6d4d43368ce.png

Same here too. We got to 24C yesterday. Not a record by any means but on the warmer end of the spectrum for mid May. Back to rain and high teens today but the suns about to rise and it’s already 16C. By the end of the week we’ve got low twenties again. No real cold in sight yet which is good. The long term climate models are tipping a warm winter too. So far the trend appears right. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, UK_Palms said:

Slight improvement in the weather here. I reached 19C / 66F on Sunday and I'm only expecting a low of 10C / 50F tonight. I'm starting to get the tomatoes, peppers and tropical plants outdoors now that all threat of frost is gone. Hopefully we get some proper warmth at some point before May is out, to make up for this dreadful spring so far.

There was a couple of tornadoes here yesterday up north which was caught on film. Check out the person just casually walking to their car and going about their day, with the small twister raging around them lol...

Edit - the direct link won't work so it's on the BBC site https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-tyne-57033510

E0uVIFgXIAQ_Xdy.jpg.9a8e8d9740fddeb7cb93c96ca073cd94.jpg

That video is what we would call a willy willy here. Normally happens in very hot weather though. Up in NW WA when it’s up in the 40s it’s not uncommon to be driving along and see 2 or 3 whipping dirt and debris up into the air on the desert plains. 

• Like 1

A pleasant 77F in the 'Hood atm..  back to just above 100F tomorrow ( 102F forecast ) before another passing trough cools things back to the upper 80s ( Monday ) and low to upper 90s the rest of the week. High Country / White Mountains may see convective showers ( and possible storms ) Sunday or Monday. Not much - if any - rain expected, and set up is ripe for new fire starts so, this will something that needs to be watched closely. 

As for the heat, not all that bad so far.. Tomorrow would mark day #4 at/above 100F around the Valley. This time last year the area was already closing in on 30 days at above the century mark..

That said, ...things may be about to change, in a big way too ...-if- tonight's 00z run of the GFS ( Tidbits ) is hinting at something, rather than tossing around another drunken' model run.

All i'll say for now is ..if a hint at what lies ahead for the end of the month, Oh Brother!!, < Explative!, Explative!, Explative! > LOL

Overall West/ Southwest around the 29th:

DSC03018.JPG.915070a82649e04081f596d7fa358e9f.JPG

Closer in, Eeek! < Wayy too early for all that >:
DSC03019.JPG.4eceb4b7710df736f8e0fd310e9cde1d.JPG

That said, do like where the " High " looks to try and set up. ( at least it isn't overhead, at least in this run < keep it to the east / north east > )    ...Will it lock in?, or is this the seasons' 1st test run?  597-600mb Heights are pretty hefty for the end of May.. ~ if ~ they occur at all at that time.
DSC03021.JPG.b492fa372ca202a5e3e9c4991df86511.JPG

" Flow " around it would be ideal for some pre- season fun -if there was some moisture draped across Mexico / west central Texas.. or left over, early season tropical activity off southern Baja at this time.
DSC03022.JPG.79533682ba0c45b603ea6609ce36a2c8.JPG

Obviously, never trust a single model/ model run, but, guess if i'm gonna make another hiking trip or two out and about, better get them wrapped up asap.  About time to hide, until moving time ..or the start of Monsoon Season.  Both may arrive simultaneously this year, thanks in part to delayed paperwork, and people doing things the slow way ( involving the move ).

We'll see what happens with the Monsoon as we edge closer to the start of the season.  One thing is certain, Want the rain?  Has to get HOT - FIRST -. Hopefully the desert < and Forests > and everyone in them can hang tough until desperately needed relief arrives. 

This year spring has been weird.  Cooler than normal and wetter.  Right now it's a cool 71°F.  We just had a big storm pass with about 2" of rain and a couple tornado warnings.  With this rain today we are up to 7" this month.  Not complaining.  We were in severe drought before all this rain.  We'll see when the update comes out but I think we are out of drought conditions, at least for a little while.

The crap spring continues here. The first two weeks of May have been just as bad as April pretty much. Temperatures are still well below average and it looks like some more records are going to tumble. I only reached a high of 14C / 57F here today and I'm expecting the same tomorrow. Disgraceful for mid-May, just two weeks outside of summer. In fact there better be a massive 2-3 month long heatwave this summer to make up for how crap the past 6-7 weeks have been. The whole of 2021 has been pretty abysmal though, going back to the winter. 

Growth has been largely stalled on the Washies for a few weeks now, although the CIDP is still pushing growth as it seems to require lower temperatures to grow. The cacti still haven't produced any flowers yet, when they are usually in full bloom by mid-May. It seems everything is a couple of weeks behind where it should be for the time of year. I can't believe how crap this spring has been. We just need some heat here. I haven't been above 20C / 68F since late March. So far to date, March 30th has been my warmest day this year when I reached 26C / 78F. Speaks volumes. 

27c here today but down to 24c tomorrow with, hopefully, some rain. Looks as though winter will be starting soon as temps should be quite a bit cooler by the coming weekend according to BOM.

It got to 25.8C today and sunny after a little bit of overnight rain. 9.30pm and still 19C. It was 24 yesterday too.  I let the fire go out today. Haven’t bothered to relight it either. It’s a summer night tonight, just about 2 weeks from winter. If this is how mild the weather is now hopefully we will have a mild winter.

• Like 1

A high of just 14C here today. 14C in mid-May! This is by far the worst spell of weather that I have EVER seen in my entire life. 7 weeks in a row now of below average temperatures, no real heat at all and just all-round crap weather. Like you may get 3-4 weeks of below average temps in winter, or summer, but you never get 7 weeks straight of below average temps. What a joke! 

April was dry and cool with constant overnight frosts. May has been wet and cool, but at least the frosts are no more. Nighttime lows are staying above 10C for the most part. It's just the daytime highs that are BS right now. Nowhere near what they should be for the time of year. From mid April to mid May there should have been several spikes in temperature up to 25C, but this is the first time on record that the first two weeks of May have not recorded a temperature of 20C or more. I still can't put the tomatoes and peppers out due to the low daytime highs. 

What a terrible, terrible spring this has been. Almost makes me want to relocate to warmer climes. Even Moscow has a heatwave right now and 30C temps. How depressing. 

midmaymeantemp.png.c80b494d7be8ff608d4578851835a29e.png

Edited by UK_Palms

A lovely 24c today but we're in for some real winter weather in a few days.

Screenshot_20210521-094537.png

• Upvote 1

With such low humidity, no rain for almost two weeks, and persistent wind, it's like a desert out there:

image.png.b3d4a6704f7e6451497e829effda9411.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Going for a min tonight of 7C and a max of 12C tomorrow. Coldest day of the year with thunderstorms and rain. Back to 23C on Friday though just as we enter winter.

60-64F around the area atm.. Looking like another nice day -for late May- on tap for Phoenix, ..and the rest of the state today  after yesterday's perfect weather..  Slow to progress east trough over the Great Basin thru the weekend brought the desert wall to wall sunshine and cooler than normal temperatures no higher than the low 80s yesterday ..and a whole bunch of wind.

Lows last night fell to 59F in downtown Phoenix ( Average low this time of year is 72F ) and lower to mid 50s across most of the valley. Expect highs today no higher than the low  90s ( 87-89F forecast here in Chandler ) and another night w/ lows in the higher 50s to around 64F or so..

Enjoy the nice weather while it lasts because this will be it until at least mid- September ( if not mid October ) unless of course we experience a couple of those cloudy, cooler humid days after a good storm come Monsoon season.  Regardless,

Slowly warms thru the 90s to start the week, peaking in the 100-103F range late week / around Memorial Day.. Hot, but not bad compared to recent years at this time.. Compared to what some model runs were suggesting at times for around the same time frame last week, 99-103F is a walk in the park.  We'll see how long we can keep anything above 105F away.. Models continue hinting the real heat is on it's way.. Pretty much what you'd expect as we head into June.

A hot 97F around the neighborhood atm, on the way to the low 100's. Pretty much the same forecast expected thru the rest of the holiday weekend/ first week of June, with a catch... Weak trough and general " troughiness " over the Pacific just southwest of CA.  may open the door to some high based shower/storm chances for the AZ High Country starting Tuesday or Wednesday as a weak low cuts off and meanders over northwestern Mexico for a couple days, drawing in some degree of moisture from the south, and/or Southeast..  possibly lingering into next weekend.

Valley / rest of the lower elevation areas of the state looks to stay dry and hot, though not anything too crazy yet ( unless something changes of course ) w/ highs topping out in the 103-106F range late next week. May see periods of passing high clouds again, similar to earlier this week.

As for those shower/storm chances in the high country? Due to the time of year, any Lightning produced will be the biggest thing to be watched closely.. Was a fire yesterday up near Prescott that destroyed several homes ( Spur Fire.. Bagdad, AZ.  ) As dry as things are, will not take much to take the current wildfire situation to the next and more ominous level.

At the same time, real heat looks to build in over Nor. Cal. / Nevada to start June..  Looking at point and click forecasts around the Bay Area, looks hot -in the usual spots-, cooler water off the coast should keep the Beaches/ San Francisco cool.. or pleasant.  Central Valley could be where records are set, if the hotter forecasts play out.  Southern CA?,  You escape the heat,  this time, lol..

Heat wave shouldn't last long, though it won't cool off too much further inland.  Bigger heatwave might be lurking for the entire state, ( cranking up the heat here as well ), sometime around mid- month.

Some interesting things worth noting in the East Pac. as well over the next week / 10 days.. Could some " left overs " send the Southwest a little early season moisture later on??? 

two_pac_2d0.png.2f4ce520ece5f134bd68269fc6746cad.png
Daily Model runs haven't been anything close to consistent..  More consistent are the repeated " hints " of a disturbance -of some sort- nudging a little moisture up from Southern Baja into the region.. Might be interesting enough to monitor..  Current PNA forecast looks interesting as well..
pna.sprd2.gif

***While never a guarantee, big dips as we get to /past mid June could signal some drought relief down the road.. Fingers crossed!!

• Upvote 1

there were flurries for over an hour today.. heavier snow to the north of me here in toronto canada

https://vimeo.com/556403142

Currently 16c here at 8.30am, dark, plenty of thunder and lightning and pouring with rain, it's great!

Edited by sandgroper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Albany had 30mm fall between 7.30 and 8.00pm tonight. 

I won’t be watering these Sabals for a very long time. We’ve had 80mm of rain in the last 24hrs with more coming.

9B1F6B15-8763-48CD-B817-49E873242130.jpeg

• Like 1