IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

54 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

4/26 

1:30pm

34C/93F

IMG-20200426-WA0006.jpeg

Only 93? :P ..Was 93 at 9am :bemused:  Currently running between 100-105F, w/ about 2 hours to add a few degrees.. Smells hot when you walk outside.

• Like 1

96-100F around the East valley atm.. Supposed to only reach 101 later today/ maybe tomorrow as well..  Phoenix broke their record yesterday of 101F, set in ...1898, with a high of 102..  Lots of 105-108F readings on neighborhood Wx stations around 5pm on this side of town also. Yuma also tied their record ( Set in 2004 ) with a high of 104F.  Still looking at potentially breaking the April monthly record either Wednesday or Thursday. Tucson? Looks like they only reached the 96-98F range.. Didn't see any tweets regarding hitting 100F down there when i checked today..

On a side note, saw a Tweet posted by Scripps Oceanography on the Weather West twitter page earlier.. Appears Scripps Pier in San Diego registered a Sea Surface Temp. of  71F yesterday which might also break the monthly record there. This year's SST trend looks to be running warmer compared to average, and slightly warmer at times compared to last year.

High pressure area may back off a bit over the coming weekend / part of next week, but looks to rebound later, at least according to current forecasts..

Going w/ that, for now at least, looks like a much different late spring Wx pattern, especially for Southern CA. this year..

• Like 4

Feels like a late fall in late spring:

202004272245_Fall_in_Spring.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Currently a cool 62F on my porch.  Feels refreshing.  Should be in the upper 50s by morning.  After the next few nights, we probably won't see below 65F until October.

• Like 2

Currently sitting at 77F, nearing 23:00. Things have been warming up a bit. Officially 91F; I recorded 96F at home. Forecasted to raise to 98F by Wednesday. May see my first 100F of the year for the garden. It’s about a month early. 

• Like 2

Settled, sunny weather here with cold mornings and warm sunny days.

1365116591_capture6.JPG.4dcac4e5c5282f891a82426938fda6d8.JPG

However, check out this:

This morning it was 0 at the Airport and simultaneously, 13 at the eastern suburbs and Hills about 10 miles away. Which is why Christchurch has some pretty diverse climate zones!

Capture5.JPG.18e035e18558eb664f4dce4ab40fc120.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Was a chilly morning in Perth today, the temp was supposed to drop to 6c but I don't think it got quite that cool but it was cold nonetheless. Daytime temps are gradually warming up from 20c yesterday to a pleasant weekend upcoming with both days supposed to be 27c. Won't be long now before the weather cools down, we are now 4 weeks from the first day of winter.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Was a chilly morning in Perth today, the temp was supposed to drop to 6c but I don't think it got quite that cool but it was cold nonetheless. Daytime temps are gradually warming up from 20c yesterday to a pleasant weekend upcoming with both days supposed to be 27c. Won't be long now before the weather cools down, we are now 4 weeks from the first day of winter.

A month away from winter and already seeing 6c? How cold does it get there?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The WA blokes can explain it better, but speaking as a visitor/mine worker who has flown in and out of Perth many times, it can get surprisingly cold on winter nights and mornings. The inland  eastern suburbs would see 0c ( 32f ) frosts most winters. The official BOM site in Town has recorded frosts, and the Airport site at Jandakot is also a frost prone place.  Coastal suburbs are warmer of course. Generally mild max temps in winter ( compared to the south eastern capital cities ), but I seem to always visit when there is a huge winter cold front roaring in from the southern ocean.... gales, torrential rain, the odd cold front tornado.... remember, Perth is a Mediterranean climate so the majority of their rain falls in the winter months, and the weather can be showery for a week or more ( my last visit for, a week in June 2018, it rained every day and about 14c-15c in Mandurah ).

Edited by greysrigging
  • Like 1

Yeah, when a high pressure zone sits overhead with clear skies it can get cold very quick. Down here on the south coast we didn't drop below about 13C (which was about as warm as most of yesterday during the day) but up in Perth the wind would have dropped right out with clear skies. We've already had a couple of 6C mornings but I'm 250 miles south. Certain parts of Perth can definitely drop down to 0C in winter or below. Perth Airport in the Belmont area has dropped down to about -1.5C when I lived there but a few kms closer to the coast and they wouldn't have got below 2C. Jandakot is in a hollow and Jandakot airport can be one of the coldest places around Perth as well. I grew up in Gosnells which on a map doesn't look far from Jandakot but I only saw ice on cars about twice in all my growing years. I moved to Belmont and it was much more frequent. Certain parts of Perth are frost free though. The Perth metro area sprawls along the coast in a general north south direction for approx 130kms or 80 miles. Up the top you could likely grow a coconut near the beach. At the bottom forget it.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Doug and Tyrone. @greysrigging & @Tyrone

Good luck as always Dave. Keep up abreast of your golden coconut.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Yes should be a lovely weekend. 23C here on Saturday and 27C on Sunday.

It was cold yesterday. The minimum was 12.8C at 8am but for most of the day the temp sat around 14C before peaking at a bit below 16C not far before sundown. Really windy too. Then when the sun went down and the wind dropped it was sitting around 15C!!!!, warmer than when the sun was up.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

5 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

A month away from winter and already seeing 6c? How cold does it get there?

Didn't see it mate, got down to 11c but it can get cold at dawn in winter, occasionally down to 1c or 2c where I am, doesn't happen often but it certainly can and has. 

Perth is a big city too, not population wise but like a lot of Australian cities it covers a lot of ground, therefore there are a lot of variations in climate. Where I am in Jandakot we can have some of the hottest temps in summer and some of the coldest in winter. All part of the fun!

Edited by sandgroper
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Some of the highs as of 4PM.. First 110F readings of the year in some places today... and it is only    ..APRIL :bemused:

East valley:
DSC07857.JPG.912585a8a164f6bfc1840846c240c6f8.JPG

Chandler area:
DSC07858.JPG.ede1fb4b48b159ef725d90008ba22720.JPG

N.W. Valley:
DSC07859.JPG.f335bbddff7abdddd149bd329730dcb3.JPG

• Like 3

At 10:30am it's 33.5C, forecast to get to 37C. Two days time they're expecting a dip down to a max of 34C, but then back up to around 36C again. During the cooler dip the minimum's forecast to drop to 21C, then back up to 24C. Clear skies and very dry.

She's a hot one in town too atm....
94786295_683939349022190_8289534876986638336_n.jpg.ccc3a7341ba17e1e3e695767660a591a.jpg
I note that the forecast top for the next 6 or 7 days ( Airport ) in town is 35c ( 95f ) That is within 1c of the all time May record of 36c back in 1942.
Will be drier in town, with the dry air pushing up from the big winter outbreak down south. I think 35c might be a stretch  though.....35's are a bit warmer than normal for May, but not unheard of. Only gotta go back to 2016 and the Airport had 4 days above 35c and a monthly average of 33.5c !

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Some of the highs as of 4PM.. First 110F readings of the year in some places today... and it is only    ..APRIL :bemused:

East valley:
DSC07857.JPG.912585a8a164f6bfc1840846c240c6f8.JPG

Chandler area:
DSC07858.JPG.ede1fb4b48b159ef725d90008ba22720.JPG

N.W. Valley:
DSC07859.JPG.f335bbddff7abdddd149bd329730dcb3.JPG

Just out of curiosity, are those stations home weather recording devices or 'Met Office' ones ? Why I'm asking is the large variation of temps there in a relatively small area.  Generally hot days are ( to use weather Bureau lingo ) 'spatially coherent' . That 110f stands out compared to others in the district. Of course I realise there can be local influences, UHI effects etc....

20 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Just out of curiosity, are those stations home weather recording devices or 'Met Office' ones ? Why I'm asking is the large variation of temps there in a relatively small area.  Generally hot days are ( to use weather Bureau lingo ) 'spatially coherent' . That 110f stands out compared to others in the district. Of course I realise there can be local influences, UHI effects etc....

Local / neighborhood stations. ( Weather Underground data ) Nat. Weather Service uses readings from Sky Harbor, near downtown Phoenix as the "official " reading for the area ( What most people around the country will see on weather maps ).  Chandler uses the reading from our municipal airport, as does Mesa ( They  have a small Airport also ) I use the closest stations to the house, which are within a mile east or north.. As was the case today, both stations closest to me reached 107F and it felt every bit as hot... Chandler Muni was 4 deg. cooler.  There's another neighborhood station less than a mile from the airport there that was reading 107F at the same time the airport was 103..  Personally, they should use the reading from Downtown Chandler.. Area surrounding the airport is a bit less developed overall compared to where most people are ( closer to downtown )

Looking at the map right now,  Chandler Muni is still at 93F.. Downtown Chandler is at 83F.. Two stations closest to me are reading 82 and 85F.. As are most other stations in the general area.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

6 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Local / neighborhood stations. ( Weather Underground data ) Nat. Weather Service uses readings from Sky Harbor, near downtown Phoenix as the "official " reading for the area ( What most people around the country will see on weather maps ).  Chandler uses the reading from our municipal airport, as does Mesa ( They  have a small Airport also ) I use the closest stations to the house, which are within a mile east or north.. As was the case today, both stations closest to me reached 107F and it felt every bit as hot... Chandler Muni was 4 deg. cooler.  There's another neighborhood station less than a mile from the airport there that was reading 107F at the same time the airport was 103..  Personally, they should use the reading from Downtown Chandler.. Area surrounding the airport is a bit less developed overall compared to where most people are ( closer to downtown )

Looking at the map right now,  Chandler Muni is still at 93F.. Downtown Chandler is at 83F.. Two stations closest to me are reading 82 and 85F.. As are most other stations in the general area.

About the same as you would see on extreme days in Aussie cities....except all of ours  ( except Canberra ) are coastal so can vary substantially depending on location.
As an aside, how do you rate the accuracy ( or otherwise ) of home stations compared to the NWS ? I'm a bit of a weather records nerd and like the data to come from 'official' recording sites. Not always possible in a continent the size of Australia and only 25 million population..... then the problem being a plethora of el cheapo home stations with people making all sorts claims as to recorded highs and lows, rainfall etc. There's only been 4 +50c ( 122f ) temps recorded officially in Stevenson Screens in Australia since 1910, but if you read every on-line weather page in AU, well there are +50ç's every summer at Dad's farm west of Wagga Wagga......lol.

57 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

About the same as you would see on extreme days in Aussie cities....except all of ours  ( except Canberra ) are coastal so can vary substantially depending on location.
As an aside, how do you rate the accuracy ( or otherwise ) of home stations compared to the NWS ? I'm a bit of a weather records nerd and like the data to come from 'official' recording sites. Not always possible in a continent the size of Australia and only 25 million population..... then the problem being a plethora of el cheapo home stations with people making all sorts claims as to recorded highs and lows, rainfall etc. There's only been 4 +50c ( 122f ) temps recorded officially in Stevenson Screens in Australia since 1910, but if you read every on-line weather page in AU, well there are +50ç's every summer at Dad's farm west of Wagga Wagga......lol.

I myself try to find an average between 8 or so of closest neighborhood stations.  With so much development here, plus a low mountain range separating a good chunk of this side of the valley from where Sky Harbor is located, the local variations i see, especially regarding lows in the winter make more sense, at least to me, when it comes to how cold it gets here compared to either the area of Phoenix surrounding Sky Harbor / Downtown, where the official temp is taken.. or at either of the regional airports closest to me that are located in areas that still have more open space / farms surrounding them and thus can run cooler than where i am a lot of the time.. 

Temperatures ( winter overnight lows esp. ) in South Chandler, ( neighborhoods south of a major east / west running highway ) and Chandler Heights can be influenced by air flowing off the north face of the nearby group of hills ( San Tan Mountains ) and open desert to the south and east.. Areas east of the airport in the Mesa / Gilbert area ( Mesa Gateway Airport, east of me ) can be influenced by the same factor during the winter.. Lots of open desert out there ( for now ) that generally slopes toward the west.. That whole area is where a majority of the rapid development is occurring in the Valley atm.. 10, 20 years from now, whatever influence there is on temps out there now, will likely be a lot less impactful, especially on winter lows.

As far as accuracy, no doubt there are bad stations, which is why i'll disregard those that might be reading far too hot ( or cold ) compared to a majority of others surrounding it on a given day.. Say if one or two stations across this side of town read 112 while 95% of the others sit in the 100-104 range. I'd consider those 112F readings false readings.. Today, there were enough stations reading 109-110 across a broad enough area to assume some parts of the local area got that hot..  As far as compared to the official reading from the Weather Service at Sky Harbor, they can be in the mid 40s while areas south or east of me might bottom out in the mid 30s on the same morning in winter.. In this case, the official reading can be misleading..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Reached 25C / 77F yesterday after a frost in the morning. 26 degrees not far from here in the hills.

We're 4 weeks from winter but doesn't feel like that yet.

30April.JPG.3b4f37eba10b737443f36b9a132a6cf1.JPG

• Like 2

A hot end to April.. but saved from anticipated savage heat by persistent high clouds through the day.. After setting a record overnight, ( 75F.. Previous record is 74, set in 2007 ) & With the clouds, Phoenix narrowly avoided eclipsing the record of 102 which had been set in the early 1940s. 4 pm Readings across the rest of the valley stayed 2-5 deg. cooler overall compared to yesterday as well.  Highs pull back to the mid/ upper 90s over the weekend before rebounding next week.. 105F currently forecast again by next Wed. / Thursday..  

Forget May,  welcome to ..June? lol.. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

A hot end to April.. but saved from anticipated savage heat by persistent high clouds through the day.. After setting a record overnight, ( 75F.. Previous record is 74, set in 2007 ) & With the clouds, Phoenix narrowly avoided eclipsing the record of 102 which had been set in the early 1940s. 4 pm Readings across the rest of the valley stayed 2-5 deg. cooler overall compared to yesterday as well.  Highs pull back to the mid/ upper 90s over the weekend before rebounding next week.. 105F currently forecast again by next Wed. / Thursday..  

Forget May,  welcome to ..June? lol.. 

I topped out at 92f yesterday as my warmest on my weather station (which is about ~14 feet off ground) so not too bad. My patio shade thermometer read 96f.  There were high clouds.. and even some dark clouds with verga past couple days. Mid to upper 80s here on out. 

I'm thinking about putting in a misting system before summer sets in.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

6 hours ago, SailorBold said:

I topped out at 92f yesterday as my warmest on my weather station (which is about ~14 feet off ground) so not too bad. My patio shade thermometer read 96f.  There were high clouds.. and even some dark clouds with verga past couple days. Mid to upper 80s here on out. 

I'm thinking about putting in a misting system before summer sets in.

Thought about putting one up across the Patio also but, considering it faces west, directly into the afternoon sun.. don't think adding a misting system would put much of a dent in the heat when out there. If the back faced east or south, likely would have.. Might have saved my Orchid collection when i moved here.. Last year i started wetting down the shade cloth i put up to block out the sun on days there was a breeze.. Cooled off the patio a bit.. but only briefly. Do the same w/ the shade house also just as the sun disappears behind our back wall on such days.. Cooling effect lasts longer/ much more noticeable when inside.

Topped out at 100F here yesterday, expecting the same ( or a degree  or two lower ) today/ Sunday before Spring Nuke Fest, part 2 sets in. Current forecast has us topping out in the 106 -109f ( Yep, 109F possible.. in early MAY, lol ) range Wed./ Thurs. before it cools back to the lower 100's next weekend again..

Weather might get interesting after next weekend.. Some of the models continue to advertise some sort of disturbance rotating up from Central Mexico, bringing at least a chance for storms over the mountains here and in S.E. Arizona / possibly more widespread over there in New Mexico, maybe offering us something pre- monsoon-ish in the valley as well.. Possible some of the moisture ( likely just clouds ) makes it into Southern CA. / maybe showers in S. Nevada / Utah also.. GFS ( Tidbits ) is also trying to suggest a brief ( but always welcome ) dip back into the 80s for a day or two around mid-month..   Heat returns afterwards, at least as is suggested right now..

53 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Weather might get interesting after next weekend.. Some of the models continue to advertise some sort of disturbance rotating up from Central Mexico, bringing at least a chance for storms over the mountains here and in S.E. Arizona / possibly more widespread over there in New Mexico, maybe offering us something pre- monsoon-ish in the valley as well.. Possible some of the moisture ( likely just clouds ) makes it into Southern CA. / maybe showers in S. Nevada / Utah also.. GFS ( Tidbits ) is also trying to suggest a brief ( but always welcome ) dip back into the 80s for a day or two around mid-month..   Heat returns afterwards, at least as is suggested right now..

..Almost forgot about this:  Showed up on the 00Z run last night.. This is the 12z run on T- Tidbits..   

Again, i ask, We sure it is really  ..MAY? ha ha.. Question for later, where does it go?, -if-  it evolves, as hinted.. Perhaps a Pacific to Gulf of Mexico Storm?
DSC07891.JPG.2d63a26eb0da3bc6490dc2550f87641e.JPG

• Upvote 1

70f and beautiful!

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Forecast hour 354... come back in the 10 day range and maybe I’ll raise an eyebrow ;)

27c at the moment but not for long, we're supposed to have a very wet week ahead with much cooler temps around 20c. Looking forward to the rain, hopefully it'll start tonight according to the weather mob.

2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

27c at the moment but not for long, we're supposed to have a very wet week ahead with much cooler temps around 20c. Looking forward to the rain, hopefully it'll start tonight according to the weather mob.

And 30c in Albany atm ? It's below 32c in Darwin about 4,000 klm north  lol ).
To explain for our USA friends, Albany in WA has an almost unique climate in Australia....it faces the Southern Ocean, but has a massive continental land mass to the north and east.  Universally derided by the rest of Western Australia for having a worse climate than Melbourne over East. Many summers are flat out getting to 30c ( 86f ). Yet a day in May ( Northern hemisphere equivalent of November. ) tops 30c !. Meteorologically outstanding ,,, haha The record for May is 35.2 way back in 1916. And, there is a possibility of snow flurries on the Stirling Ranges ( sorta nearby ) come Wednesday next week....
94889864_273992227331231_2040045663860817920_n.jpg.2026e10e1baf9e50ff8d92ce3bbcbe6b.jpg

Edited by greysrigging
  • Like 1

Yeah the official figure at the moment is 29.5C but under my verandah area it’s saying 34C. Very low humidity with a northerly air stream at the moment. I’ve watered a few things today like my shadehouse to keep the humidity up off the floor. Tomorrow starts thunderstorm mayhem for a few days.

Not much between Broome and Albany at the moment. A couple of degrees and the same rh.

Btw, Melbourne has cooler winters than Albany but Albany has cooler summers than Melbourne. It’s much more stable weather than Melbourne. We never get hot nights in Albany. We get 50% more rain than Melbourne on average. I’ve never recorded a minimum higher than 19.6C here.

The storm clouds are rolling in. Gonna get a wet few days in sw Oz.

15 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

The storm clouds are rolling in. Gonna bit a wet few days in sw Oz.

Cold rain?

No, this shouldn’t be cold rain. It’s coming from the subtropical Indian Ocean. This morning I woke up to 17C  and about 75% rh. The moisture in the atmosphere has built right up compared to yesterday.  On Thursday when the winds turn southerly any rain will be coming off the southern ocean so it will be cooler then.

We are going for a top of 21C today, then the storm comes through and we are going for 21C tomorrow before another storm front comes through in the evening. The next day things turn more southerly and we will have a high over us on the weekend, so some cool mornings are coming I think.

2A0F8DBF-A370-4620-ADC8-82B8F773CA19.jpeg

95-100F around the east valley this afternoon.. Hot but manageable.. One more day of this before the next heat wave rolls in.. Rare sight in the sky earlier serving as a reminder that while this is the desert, this time of year is fire season, no matter which side of town you live..  Were a couple small fires yesterday on the north and north east side of the valley.. Today was apparently our turn.. With the rain we had thru the winter, conditions and fuels are primed for burning.

Stepped outside to the overwhelming smell of smoke around 3pm. Wasn't obvious at first but after watching the horizon to my south west for a couple minutes, could tell there was an on going brush fire out in the open desert just south of this side of Chandler ..where Chandler borders part of the Gila Indian Reservation.. Didn't seem like much.. there have been a few small fires during the summer out there since moving here but apparently this was a tad bigger.. After watching ..what i assume  was a "lead" plane circling where the fire was for about a half hour, heard the obvious sound of a large, low flying " passenger " type jet passing overhead.. 

Mesa Gateway, one of the smaller local airports on this side of town, houses one of the DC 10 Super Tankers used by the Forest Service here in the state.. Would have never thought i'd watch it pass overhead, heading to drop Phos. Check on a fire occurring less than a couple miles from the house.. Made about 5 or 6 passes before being released from the fire..  News just said a couple abandoned buildings in the fires path were torched but no injuries and local firefighters have it contained.. Would have been interesting to have a closer front row seat since the fire apparently approached part of the 202 freeway for a short time. Video footage showed the tanker dropping right next to it.. 
DSC07959.JPG.276e2f5a93a91dc8440adbda6d5ed97b.JPG

DSC07960.JPG.fbbb8d3ac175d1c34dca44649eb933f6.JPG

DSC07961.JPG.ec4003a1642fdfc94a712bd31f8df65d.JPG

Just goes to show.. Don't assume just because you live in -town, doesn't mean the yearly fire threat stays up in the Mountains, even in Arizona..

• Like 3

A maximum of only 22c today and lot's of rain around, I'm loving it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

A maximum of only 22c today and lot's of rain around, I'm loving it!

San Diego weather!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

95-100F around the east valley this afternoon.. Hot but manageable.. One more day of this before the next heat wave rolls in.. Rare sight in the sky earlier serving as a reminder that while this is the desert, this time of year is fire season, no matter which side of town you live..  Were a couple small fires yesterday on the north and north east side of the valley.. Today was apparently our turn.. With the rain we had thru the winter, conditions and fuels are primed for burning.

Stepped outside to the overwhelming smell of smoke around 3pm. Wasn't obvious at first but after watching the horizon to my south west for a couple minutes, could tell there was an on going brush fire out in the open desert just south of this side of Chandler ..where Chandler borders part of the Gila Indian Reservation.. Didn't seem like much.. there have been a few small fires during the summer out there since moving here but apparently this was a tad bigger.. After watching ..what i assume  was a "lead" plane circling where the fire was for about a half hour, heard the obvious sound of a large, low flying " passenger " type jet passing overhead.. 

Mesa Gateway, one of the smaller local airports on this side of town, houses one of the DC 10 Super Tankers used by the Forest Service here in the state.. Would have never thought i'd watch it pass overhead, heading to drop Phos. Check on a fire occurring less than a couple miles from the house.. Made about 5 or 6 passes before being released from the fire..  News just said a couple abandoned buildings in the fires path were torched but no injuries and local firefighters have it contained.. Would have been interesting to have a closer front row seat since the fire apparently approached part of the 202 freeway for a short time. Video footage showed the tanker dropping right next to it.. 
DSC07959.JPG.276e2f5a93a91dc8440adbda6d5ed97b.JPG

DSC07960.JPG.fbbb8d3ac175d1c34dca44649eb933f6.JPG

DSC07961.JPG.ec4003a1642fdfc94a712bd31f8df65d.JPG

Just goes to show.. Don't assume just because you live in -town, doesn't mean the yearly fire threat stays up in the Mountains, even in Arizona..

Do you have prescribed burns over there Nathan? We have them every year in early spring, the idea is to reduce the fuel load for the upcoming bushfire season. They burn different areas each year so they don't continually burn the same area wiping out plants & wildlife etc...

4 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Do you have prescribed burns over there Nathan? We have them every year in early spring, the idea is to reduce the fuel load for the upcoming bushfire season. They burn different areas each year so they don't continually burn the same area wiping out plants & wildlife etc...

We do.. Done mostly up in the mountains though, carried out during the late Fall / winter.. Maybe very early spring ( in some really remote areas ) if it is cool and wet.. Below the mountains, very rare for any of the state agencies to carry out controlled/ prescribed burns.. Un-touched desert is often too open to carry fire well, and the desert itself is too sensitive of an environment to handle fire ( didn't evolve w/ it. Extremely destructive to the ecology ) Part of the problems that have been seen in the lower desert areas here, in more recent decades, is being caused by the rapid spread of 3 invasive annual weeds that carry fire well / cause it to burn hotter: Sahara Mustard, Buffelgrass, and Globe Chamomile ..which has been spreading like fire itself in the last 2-4 years.

All 3 greatly increase the fuel load in what would otherwise be sparsely vegetated "breaks" between cacti / shrubby stuff out there.. In the case of Buffelgrass and the Chamomile, both burn hotter than what dried out native annuals would, which greatly raises the potential  native stuff would be wiped out completely.

• Like 1