IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

18 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Last week was pretty warm but fortunately it looks like it might be over now, looking forward to the cooler weather and, hopefully,  some rain!

Yes, might be a bit of a westerly flow coming in now. I couldn't believe how hot Perth got on the weekend. Down here was just mega humid and sticky not real hot, just uncomfortably sticky especially if you were doing work around the house etc. Sitting down doing nothing was OK.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Only reached a paltry 58F (14C) here today, although it was still very sunny with clear skies and low humidity at around 40%. We should be back up to 70F (21C) tomorrow though, once this cold front is pushed back by southerly winds from the Iberian Peninsula and north Africa.

There's also a real possibility of a frost tonight as well now under the clear skies, which has me worried about the grape vines. If I'm lucky, it will only drop down to 36F (2C). Worst case scenario, I might be looking at 30F (-1C). That would almost certainly be the last frost of spring though, looking at the forecast models. Hopefully it doesn't get that cold though.

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

April 14/2020

1:28pm PST

83F/28C and sunny.  Finally!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Chilly 53f

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

20200415_162145.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Currently 50°F (10°C), Freeze Warning for tonight, the last freeze here was exactly one month ago. April is shaping up to be a disappointment after such a mild winter + mild March.

A disappointing couple of days here weather-wise. We maxed out at 65F today and have a low of 50F forecast for tonight, but tomorrow is going to be a bit cooler. Highs of 62F. After a very mild winter and an abnormally warm start to April, it seems spring is fizzing out now. Temperatures look to be around average at best for the next week, or two.

Only 0.06 inches of rain so far this month though...

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

5 hours ago, sandgroper said:

A pleasant 28c today with some nice cool days coming up, hopefully with a bit of rain.

Screenshot_20200417-122611_Gallery.jpg

Looks like Autumn has arrived ?

21 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

A disappointing couple of days here weather-wise. We maxed out at 65F today and have a low of 50F forecast for tonight, but tomorrow is going to be a bit cooler. Highs of 62F. After a very mild winter and an abnormally warm start to April, it seems spring is fizzing out now. Temperatures look to be around average at best for the next week, or two.

Only 0.06 inches of rain so far this month though...

Average high in your part of the world this time of year is 13c, what on earth are you doing complaining about a 65 and 62 degree day which are more typical may days... not too mention this April will almost certainly finish top 5 or top 3 warmest ever.

3 minutes ago, PalmsNC said:

Average high in your part of the world this time of year is 13c, what on earth are you doing complaining about a 65 and 62 degree day which are more typical may days... not too mention this April will almost certainly finish top 5 or top 3 warmest ever.

I've just looked over my climatic stats for the past 5 years and my average high for April is 61F (16.1C). My average high for May is 67F (19.4C). 

We're in the second half of April now though and I only maxed out at 53F on Friday with quite a bit of rain. The second half of April 2020 is forecast to be quite a bit cooler than the second half of April 2019. So I can complain given that I've got several hundred tomato, pepper, cucumber, pumpkin and melon seedlings left in pots, which I already had in the ground this time last year...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sandgroper said:

I hope so! 

Too bad you can't send it in the mail, lol.. :D

79-82F tomorrow, mid 80s to start next week. Then, unless the forecast changes,  ...revving up the engines as the race to 100F+ (++) heat begins.. Might flirt with 100 ( 37.7C ) for the first time this year either next Friday or Saturday.. Too bad we just can't skip this part of the year, ha ha. Then again, if we want summer rain later on, has to get hot for awhile. May the days ahead fly by, quickly..:innocent:

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 9:17 PM, UK_Palms said:

I've just looked over my climatic stats for the past 5 years and my average high for April is 61F (16.1C). My average high for May is 67F (19.4C). 

We're in the second half of April now though and I only maxed out at 53F on Friday with quite a bit of rain. The second half of April 2020 is forecast to be quite a bit cooler than the second half of April 2019. So I can complain given that I've got several hundred tomato, pepper, cucumber, pumpkin and melon seedlings left in pots, which I already had in the ground this time last year...

The average high from the met service for your area 81-10 in April is 57.4, for May you average 17.7c.  5 years is not an average, 5 years is not climate. 30 years is average, 30 years is climate. Once more this April 2020 is close to being the warmest ever for your area. You have nothing to complain about.

It is highly disingenuous and goes against the official World Meteorological Organization definition of normal to use 5 year " averages" as normal.

Edited by PalmsNC
  • Like 1

Just now, PalmsNC said:

The average high from the met service for your area 81-10 in April is 57.4.  5 years is not an average, 5 years is not climate. 30 years is average, 30 years is climate. Once more this April 2020 is close to being the warmest ever for your area. You have nothing to complain about.

No, but trends are relevant. It's more relevant to go by the statistics from the last 5 years, than to rely on statistics from 1980 onwards. I have lived here all my life, unlike you. I know my rainfall pattern has shifted dramatically and my summers have got far warmer, and spring nights are cooler, which I have to factor in when planting palms, veg, or any other plant for that matter.

The current trend in recent years is for very dry, drought like conditions from April - August, with temperatures well into the 90's F in June - July. The drought trend also means clear nights and cooler than average nighttime temperatures in April and May, which I have to contend with. The droughts, hotter days and cooler nights in spring are not reflected in the 1980 - 2010 statistics, but have been the case for the past 3 consecutive years. So it's relevant to factor that in.

And as I previously stated, I was only moaning because I have so many veg plants in pots still, which need to go in the ground. Last year I had everything in the ground by mid April, but the nights are much colder at the same stage this year. I got down to 33F a few nights ago after a daytime high of 74F, due to the clear skies. I'm going to bite the bullet and plant everything between now and this weekend though. No more moaning.

19 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

No, but trends are relevant. It's more relevant to go by the statistics from the last 5 years, than to rely on statistics from 1980 onwards. I have lived here all my life, unlike you. I know my rainfall pattern has shifted dramatically and my summers have got far warmer, and spring nights are cooler, which I have to factor in when planting palms, veg, or any other plant for that matter.

The current trend in recent years is for very dry, drought like conditions from April - August, with temperatures well into the 90's F in June - July. The drought trend also means clear nights and cooler than average nighttime temperatures in April and May, which I have to contend with. The droughts, hotter days and cooler nights in spring are not reflected in the 1980 - 2010 statistics, but have been the case for the past 3 consecutive years. So it's relevant to factor that in.

And as I previously stated, I was only moaning because I have so many veg plants in pots still, which need to go in the ground. Last year I had everything in the ground by mid April, but the nights are much colder at the same stage this year. I got down to 33F a few nights ago after a daytime high of 74F, due to the clear skies. I'm going to bite the bullet and plant everything between now and this weekend though. No more moaning.

You do realize that the southern UK is having one of its warmest Aprils on record, right? I'd love to see you deal with a cooler than average April.

Using 5 year statistics greatly neglects your climactic variability. Your recent spout of warmer and drier than average weather is probably temporary, and before you know it the climate will swing cooler again. Remember December 2010? It happened, and it can happen again.

Also, your June-July average temperatures are not "well into the 90s". That's like saying my average summer temperatures are well into the 100s.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely shocking record heat here in London this April. Once in a generation if that. We’ll never see something like this again. Even so it’s nothing compared to what places in southern europe and the US can manage :(. To make matters worse all signs are pointing to a miserable summer this year. August will be cloudy and cool yet again, we haven’t had a 200 sun hour August in 16 years. What an absolute joke this climate is, the entire world is laughing at us. “Summer” this year will consist of endless slate gray overcast and drizzle with highs around 18-21C. 

Edited by B87
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Absolutely shocking record heat here in London this April. Once in a generation if that. We’ll never see something like this again. Even so it’s nothing compared to what places in southern europe and the US can manage :(. To make matters worse all signs are pointing to a miserable summer this year. August will be cloudy and cool yet again, we haven’t had a 200 sun hour August in 16 years. What an absolute joke this climate is, the entire world is laughing at us. “Summer” this year will consist of endless slate gray overcast and drizzle with highs around 18-21C. 

Good post.

3 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

You should see the private message this user sent me. About 30 curse words as well as racist abuse. Lovely gesture, given that I have just had a family member admitted to ICU today with Covid-19. 

I don't want to escalate things anymore, so I'm not commenting again. 

Don't sweat it.. Ignore, and don't let this person... " get under your skin", so to say I'm sure the moderator will be dealing w/ this shortly.. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

You should see the private message this user sent me. About 30 curse words as well as racist abuse. Lovely gesture, given that I have just had a family member admitted to ICU today with Covid-19. 

I don't want to escalate things anymore, so I'm not commenting again. 

I'm sorry to hear that, this is a tough time for everyone. I was quite on edge when Boris was in the ICU, losing our prime minister, regardless of your political views, would be a massive blow to the psyche of the nation. Wishing all the best for your family member.

Couldn't ask for any better timing with this unprecedented spring warmth, our normal climate is nearly perfect for spreading this disease.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love this time of year in Perth, cooler temps with the odd shower about but warm enough for the plants to be happy. They respond very well to the rain, it's always better than the hose.

Screenshot_20200421-120955_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, we are in an interim transition phase down here. It's not cooling down like it normally does at this time of year. We are still getting summer mins in the mid teens and days in the low twenties with the odd bit of rain now and then. The wind has been mental though. We can go from dead calm in the morning to 50kmh gusts in the arvo then back to dead calm. We are in a westerly flow down here, so when the cold fronts get close the winds whip up. So far though we are at the northerly end of the fronts so we get the build up and very little rain from it. Last night at sundown I was sure it was going to rain. The radar showed a line of showers moving in. Further along in the evening and it was clear skies and stars and the front had just evaporated.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We are suffering yet another heat wave in the Kimberley and Western Top End, with many recording sites breaking their April maximum temperatures, and some stations hitting 40c ( 104f ). 
What is unusual is the timing of the heat, deep into April. Spare a thought for Katherine at the base of the Top End.... not only the driest 'wet' on record with only 457mm ( 18") so far compared to the average of  1021mm ( 40").  Less than half, an extreme deficiency. But also some serious heat, with daily and monthly averages being broken too. March, Oct and Dec 2019 set new highest maximum records, and Jan, Feb and April 2020 have also set daily max temp records.
Even Darwin on the coast is not immune, we have the next week forecast at 35c ( 95f ) !
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/nt/darwin-daly/darwin

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

We are suffering yet another heat wave in the Kimberley and Western Top End, with many recording sites breaking their April maximum temperatures, and some stations hitting 40c ( 104f ). 
What is unusual is the timing of the heat, deep into April. Spare a thought for Katherine at the base of the Top End.... not only the driest 'wet' on record with only 457mm ( 18") so far compared to the average of  1021mm ( 40").  Less than half, an extreme deficiency. But also some serious heat, with daily and monthly averages being broken too. March, Oct and Dec 2019 set new highest maximum records, and Jan, Feb and April 2020 have also set daily max temp records.
Even Darwin on the coast is not immune, we have the next week forecast at 35c ( 95f ) !

:(

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

It's heating up and drying out fast, and we've jumped straight into the fire season. Fire fighting operations under the COVID-19 situation have undergone a big change. Now it's strictly one person fire units, drive and operate the equipment at the same time. At briefings you can't hand maps or aerial photos around and no 'huddling' in close together to look at them. Everything's at a distance. No sharing (drinking) water bottles if you run out.

When you're finished you have to clean down everything in the vehicle with sanitiser, and I mean everything, door handles, steering wheel, vehicle controls, 2way radio, hose nozzles, engines, etc., etc. Every thing you've touched. The vehicle has to be ready for the next person to use.

After doing hours on the fire lines it's a lot of extra 'housekeeping' you don't look forward to. And it's only just starting. We've got daily 37C's predicted into the coming week and dry, dry, dry. Next wet season can't come soon enough.

30C/86F 1:13pm PST 4/22/2020

20200422_130706.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

Ok...temps elevated to 90F

4/22/2020  3:19 pm PST

20200422_151806.jpg

• Like 2

High of 76F on Wednesday. Crystal clear skies for the 5th consecutive day. The same again tomorrow. The southeast of England must be closing in on 200 hours of sunshine for April already.

It's very, very dry at present with no rainfall in the extended forecast. The lawn is turning yellow already from what is becoming a recurring spring-summer drought season. I've only recorded 0.46 inches of rainfall this month, falling across two days. Although that's still more than the 0.09 inches I recorded in April 2019.

I'll have to hose down the lawn tomorrow, otherwise I will end up losing most of it again, just like last spring. The grass died in April/May and didn't come back until the August / September rains. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

High of 76F on Wednesday. Crystal clear skies for the 5th consecutive day. The same again tomorrow. The southeast of England must be closing in on 200 hours of sunshine for April already.

It's very, very dry at present with no rainfall in the extended forecast. The lawn is turning yellow already from what is becoming a recurring spring-summer drought season. I've only recorded 0.46 inches of rainfall this month, falling across two days. Although that's still more than the 0.09 inches I recorded in April 2019.

I'll have to hose down the lawn tomorrow, otherwise I will end up losing most of it again, just like last spring. The grass died in April/May and didn't come back until the August / September rains. 

Have you tried fertilizing the lawn? Lawns don't need as much water as you think. You shouldn't have any trouble having a green lawn in May in the UK. If you do there's possibly something else causing issues.

Edited by sipalms

41 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Have you tried fertilizing the lawn? Lawns don't need as much water as you think. You shouldn't have any trouble having a green lawn in May in the UK. If you do there's possibly something else causing issues.

That might have something to do with it, but I was in London yesterday on work related business, and the grass at all the parks is turning yellow. It's definitely due to the lack of rainfall. Maybe our native grass type isn't accustomed to spring time droughts...?

Very warm on Thursday again with quite a few places in the 80's F.

I recorded 82F in the shade in Compton. I also forgot to open the greenhouse door, so the internal temperature was reading 119F at 11:30am! :bemused: Hopefully my seedlings will be okay...

IMG_2292.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Very warm on Thursday again with quite a few places in the 80's F.

I recorded 82F in the shade in Compton. I also forgot to open the greenhouse door, so the internal temperature was reading 119F at 11:30am! :bemused: Hopefully my seedlings will be okay...

IMG_2292.jpg

Wow! More 30C temps in the UK in April... mind = blown - why don't the BBC report on this?

Or is there another site I should go to for UK weather news?

92F and change.

20200424_162218.jpg

• Upvote 1

It has generally been a very warm/hot Spring so far, however, today was cool, breezy and rainy.  Currently 68F.

Currently 70f/ 21c. We hit our first 90f/32c of the year! Super early but I'll take it. Will likely stay into the mid to upper 80's with a possibly of some low 90's for another week :greenthumb: 

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

After a cool, rainy day yesterday, today was warm and muggy with a light breeze.  Currently 79F as of midnight.  Seems like nights are getting warmer and warmer every year and we get midsummer-like nighttime temperatures for stretches in the Spring and Fall more often.

We also only seem to have a high in the 40s about every 3 years now whereas we used to get 1-2 per year.

• Upvote 1

Almost 1:00am  20C and 80% humidity.

Tropical California April.

20200426_005630.jpg

• Like 1

4/26 

1:30pm

34C/93F

IMG-20200426-WA0006.jpeg