IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

We've had a couple of lovely cooler days of around 25c, about 6c cooler than average for this time of year but we are steadily warming up again next week. The older I get the more I enjoy the cooler temps.

Screenshot_20200321-072628_Chrome.jpg

Come to Albany it’s always cool. We’ve had rain on and off for a week, nights in the mid teens and days in the high teens to low twenties. Going to be a heatwave next week with a couple of 27C days. With everything hydrated to capacity the garden should love it.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Been a warm start to autumn so far, it's supposed to cool down a bit next week, I'm looking forward to that!

Screenshot_20200324-164738_Chrome.jpg

Summer always lingers on in WA. We used to get 38c ( 100f ) days into early May at Roebourne and Port Hedland.
We had a fair dinkum, dinki di good old fashioned Darwin downpour this arvo with 55mm falling at home. Flooded roads and backyard with a rain rate of 157.8mm/hour at its peak !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Summer always lingers on in WA. We used to get 38c ( 100f ) days into early May at Roebourne and Port Hedland.
We had a fair dinkum, dinki di good old fashioned Darwin downpour this arvo with 55mm falling at home. Flooded roads and backyard with a rain rate of 157.8mm/hour at its peak !

Half your luck! While you were getting that I got 0.2mm. Over night the total went up to 2.4mm. The rain brought the overnight minimum down to 24C after yesterday's maximum of 35C. Continuing rain and cloud cover is expected to keep the maximum down to 33C today but rising to 36C again in a couple of days.

Currently 74F after reaching 79F earlier this afternoon. 79-82F forecast for tomorrow, then a quick cool down ( mid/ upper 60s Thurs/Fri. ) and maybe a shower or two. Might be the last chance of showers/ mild temps for the year.. Temperatures rebound rapidly over the weekend and look like they're off to the races next week. Nothing but mid/ upper 80s.. possibly topping 90 for the first time this year sometime next week, suggested in the forecast going forward.

With current events, and the likely hood of things staying as is thru at least early/ mid May, maybe early June,  kind of curious what might happen here as the heat starts setting in.. Electricity is already too expensive ( imo ) and with a lot more people home atm, i anticipate we'll start seeing stories related to how local utilities are planning on handling things.. Hopefully the May- Mid July "dry 'n hot" period this year trends slightly cooler and we don't see many days above 110F.. While odds, at this point, aren't looking all that great,  hoping Monsoon season offers up at least some relief later on. Touch on that later.   Interesting times ahead for sure..

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Currently 74F after reaching 79F earlier this afternoon. 79-82F forecast for tomorrow, then a quick cool down ( mid/ upper 60s Thurs/Fri. ) and maybe a shower or two. Might be the last chance of showers/ mild temps for the year.. Temperatures rebound rapidly over the weekend and look like they're off to the races next week. Nothing but mid/ upper 80s.. possibly topping 90 for the first time this year sometime next week, suggested in the forecast going forward.

With current events, and the likely hood of things staying as is thru at least early/ mid May, maybe early June,  kind of curious what might happen here as the heat starts setting in.. Electricity is already too expensive ( imo ) and with a lot more people home atm, i anticipate we'll start seeing stories related to how local utilities are planning on handling things.. Hopefully the May- Mid July "dry 'n hot" period this year trends slightly cooler and we don't see many days above 110F.. While odds, at this point, aren't looking all that great,  hoping Monsoon season offers up at least some relief later on. Touch on that later.   Interesting times ahead for sure..

Just curious mate... do you guys use conventional inverter type aircons or the evaporative ones ?  The evaporatives are not efficient in humid tropical climes but work fine in the dryer inland desert regions of Australia.  I know you get a bit of humidity in your monsoon season......

2 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Just curious mate... do you guys use conventional inverter type aircons or the evaporative ones ?  The evaporatives are not efficient in humid tropical climes but work fine in the dryer inland desert regions of Australia.  I know you get a bit of humidity in your monsoon season......

Both actually.. Some homes here/ around the rest of AZ. still have "Swamp Coolers"  You see Apartments with Inverter types also. Ours is your standard forced/ Central Air.. and yes, i've wondered myself how well the evaporative type works at that time of year. News stations will post info from time to time on how well they can be expected to perform on certain days. Seems that on the hottest nights,  you'd be lucky to get the inside temp down to around 80F.  Had the inverter type in a couple of apartments i lived in when living in Kansas.. Hot and very humid during the summer ( most of it ) there.. Did pretty well keeping things cool. A totally different beast compared to here though. Kansas get pretty regular, heavy rain on and off through the summers there.

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Both actually.. Some homes here/ around the rest of AZ. still have "Swamp Coolers"  You see Apartments with Inverter types also. Ours is your standard forced/ Central Air.. and yes, i've wondered myself how well the evaporative type works at that time of year. News stations will post info from time to time on how well they can be expected to perform on certain days. Seems that on the hottest nights,  you'd be lucky to get the inside temp down to around 80F.  Had the inverter type in a couple of apartments i lived in when living in Kansas.. Hot and very humid during the summer ( most of it ) there.. Did pretty well keeping things cool. A totally different beast compared to here though. Kansas get pretty regular, heavy rain on and off through the summers there.

The price of split system inverters has come way down over the years in Australia, and if you run them on 24 or 25c all year round in Darwin they use way less power than the old box window units.  My house has split inverters but I rarely turn them on, unless I have visitors up from the cooler south who struggle with the high humidity and DPs. I sometimes run the bedroom one on the oppressive n29-30c nights. Dry season nights with the overhead fans whooping around, one has to pull the doona up to keep warm !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

The price of split system inverters has come way down over the years in Australia, and if you run them on 24 or 25c all year round in Darwin they use way less power than the old box window units.  My house has split inverters but I rarely turn them on, unless I have visitors up from the cooler south who struggle with the high humidity and DPs. I sometimes run the bedroom one on the oppressive n29-30c nights. Dry season nights with the overhead fans whooping around, one has to pull the doona up to keep warm !

Agree, far better than a "window box", so to say.. Kept my apartment plenty warm through the coldest part of winter /  comfortably cool during the hottest, most humid part of summer in KS.

I have a decent sized fan i run in my bedroom here.. Extra air circulation keeps it bearable most of the summer. That said, even w/ the air con running, my room faces east, directly into the morning/ early afternoon sun. With no tree canopy to block it, heats up very fast once the sun is up above the buildings across the street. Run the fan in winter also, w/ the window slightly open as well.. W/ an extra blanket, its a perfect night of sleep.

On 3/25/2020 at 4:29 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree, far better than a "window box", so to say.. Kept my apartment plenty warm through the coldest part of winter /  comfortably cool during the hottest, most humid part of summer in KS.

I have a decent sized fan i run in my bedroom here.. Extra air circulation keeps it bearable most of the summer. That said, even w/ the air con running, my room faces east, directly into the morning/ early afternoon sun. With no tree canopy to block it, heats up very fast once the sun is up above the buildings across the street. Run the fan in winter also, w/ the window slightly open as well.. W/ an extra blanket, its a perfect night of sleep.

My house ( and I daresay so has the majority of Darwin houses ) has fans in every room. I literally can't sleep without them... the noise and the movement of air. Even at my mothers house in a western Sydney Basin winter and its a frosty night outside, I have the ceiling fan on in the bedroom....lol !. Just put more blankets on... or if its a -4c night, turn on the electric blanket.....

On 3/26/2020 at 1:47 AM, greysrigging said:

My house ( and I daresay so has the majority of Darwin houses ) has fans in every room. I literally can't sleep without them... the noise and the movement of air. Even at my mothers house in a western Sydney Basin winter and its a frosty night outside, I have the ceiling fan on in the bedroom....lol !. Just put more blankets on... or if its a -4c night, turn on the electric blanket.....

Yep, same thing here.. Without the noise created by the fan,  awakened by almost any sound while sleeping. Waking up to cats fighting/ howling about something below my window was when i decided i had to have a fan to cancel out background noise while asleep.  With the fan, rarely awakened by anything except sirens since i am roughly half a block from the hospital here..

On 3/24/2020 at 6:54 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

...AAnd right on cue,  looks like there could be quite a fight w/ local electric utilities on the horizon, esp. now that our drags- his- feet Governor finally decided to issue a statewide lock down, well behind most of the country, after most cities in the state took matters into their own hands and issued their own stay at home orders.. Anyway, lol.. Local news broke a story discussing what ( ..if anything ) our local electric providers may ( ..or may not ) do to help people this coming summer.

Funniest thing about the declaration he made today: Golf Courses are considered "Essential Businesses"  ..Same with Nail Salons :bemused:,

..Only in Arizona, under current leadership. I digress, lol:rolleyes::innocent:

• Like 1

Got up to 73F (23C) here today. We should hit 75F (24C) on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. It certainly feels like spring is in full force now. Even the outdoor cacti are flowering. Although the nights are still very chilly under the clear skies. We got down to 34F last night for instance, before rising to 73F by 2:30pm. Crystal clear sunny skies for the 4th consecutive day. But again, that means cold nights. It shouldn't drop below 55F tonight though, hopefully.

Right on queue, we seem to be entering another drought cycle. I haven't recorded any rainfall for 12 days now, although we may get a sprinkle of rain tonight. Not likely though. Last year I only recorded 0.1 inches of rainfall for April and 0.2 inches for May. The past 2 years have seen spring/summer droughts, so I don't see why this year will be any different. Considering we have just had our wettest winter on record, the ground is already looking very parched and dried out. I can see myself having to provide a lot of irrigation between now and September

Humidity has been as low as 20% in recent days, rising to 70% overnight. In general the air is very dry though. It's currently 38% humidity here at 9:30pm. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Perth area often has a late summer.... and the Pilbara and Kimberleys still in the 40's. The forecasts have dropped back a bit with Perth Metro forecast at 35c on Wednesday. April record is 37.3c in town and 37.7c at the Airport.

On 3/31/2020 at 3:20 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

...AAnd right on cue,  looks like there could be quite a fight w/ local electric utilities on the horizon, esp. now that our drags- his- feet Governor finally decided to issue a statewide lock down, well behind most of the country, after most cities in the state took matters into their own hands and issued their own stay at home orders.. Anyway, lol.. Local news broke a story discussing what ( ..if anything ) our local electric providers may ( ..or may not ) do to help people this coming summer.

Funniest thing about the declaration he made today: Golf Courses are considered "Essential Businesses"  ..Same with Nail Salons :bemused:,

..Only in Arizona, under current leadership. I digress, lol:rolleyes::innocent:

Hair dressers were 'essential services' in Australia for a while ( think the Prime Minister's wife has a fair bit of influence on Federal Cabinet decisions... ). They're closed now after howls of outrage in the media .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

Perth area often has a late summer.... and the Pilbara and Kimberleys still in the 40's. The forecasts have dropped back a bit with Perth Metro forecast at 35c on Wednesday. April record is 37.3c in town and 37.7c at the Airport.

Perth often does have a long summer, I'm just sick of it, the older I get the more I like cooler weather.

• Like 1

We went from having the heater on at night (although it's still way warmer than winter) earlier in the week to days in the high twenties and no heater at night but still warm at night for us. Got a couple of low thirties days lined up with warm nights and then high twenties then back to cooler milder conditions later on. There's a bit of yo-yoing temperatures going on, but nothing unusually cold at night yet. I still reckon we are in for a mild winter which will be great.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's 34C down here at the moment on the southern ocean. It's a stinker.

It is currently 75F (25C) here. We might possibly hit 80F (27C) on Friday. Humidity is still very low during the day, in the 30% range, going up to 70% at night. 

The Chamaerops are flowering profusely here and where I failed to collect the seed last year, they have started germinating on the patio and in the side borders. This afternoon's job is to eradicate about 100 seedlings that have popped up in recent days. They're almost becoming invasive here, if Chamaerops are left to their own devices. More so than Trachy's even. The mild, wet winter and warm, dry spring helps them establish here, no doubt...

• Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

The official peak yesterday was 35C, warmer than Perth. The top in the state was up in the Kimberley with 37C. We had a warm balmy Perth style summers night and it heated up quick to just above 30C but around lunch it was raining and 29C with around 60% RH. In town it's just above 23C and 94%RH. Dewpoint is around 22.5C. Sticky.

81F (27C) at 2:30pm here. Not bad for early April at 51N. Humidity is currently at 19% here.

I heavily watered all the potted palms, including Dactylifera and Filifera, given that I have only recorded 0.1 inches of rain over the past 2 weeks, plus it has been pretty warm the past week or so.

Some forecast models are predicting up to 85F (29C) for parts of southeast England tomorrow and Friday. I doubt we'll see that high, but I am expecting 27C again, hopefully. I'm not used to this heat though, coming off the back of our long, cool, wet winter. It's a bit of a shock to the system for me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

81F (27C) at 2:30pm here. Not bad for early April at 51N. Humidity is currently at 19% here.

I heavily watered all the potted palms, including Dactylifera and Filifera, given that I have only recorded 0.1 inches of rain over the past 2 weeks, plus it has been pretty warm the past week or so.

Some forecast models are predicting up to 85F (29C) for parts of southeast England tomorrow and Friday. I doubt we'll see that high, but I am expecting 27C again, hopefully. I'm not used to this heat though, coming off the back of our long, cool, wet winter. It's a bit of a shock to the system for me.

Nice. Right now your weather is much better than mine.  I'm at 16C. 1:43pm PST.

Our low at dawn was 11C.. Winter just doesn't want to depart!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It was even hotter today than it was yesterday. I recorded a high of 88F (31C) here in the valley. My nearest big town, Guildford, clocked in at 84F (29C). It'll probably get chilly again tonight under the clear skies, down to 45-50F, but as soon as that sun comes up tomorrow, the temperature will shoot up again. I'm expecting 28-29C again tomorrow. Not a cloud in the sky either.

The grape vines are already going for it this spring with lots of growth already. I'm expecting a huge grape harvest this year. A late frost at this stage would be devastating for them though. I'm also hoping for some rain soon as the ground is already very, very dry. Like dust here. But if the past 2 years are anything to go by, I won't be getting any more than an inch of rainfall between now and mid August, as the Mediterranean influence takes hold.

IMG_E2158.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

It was even hotter today than it was yesterday. I recorded a high of 88F (31C) here in the valley. My nearest big town, Guildford, clocked in at 84F (29C). It'll probably get chilly again tonight under the clear skies, down to 45-50F, but as soon as that sun comes up tomorrow, the temperature will shoot up again. I'm expecting 28-29C again tomorrow. Not a cloud in the sky either.

The grape vines are already going for it this spring with lots of growth already. I'm expecting a huge grape harvest this year. A late frost at this stage would be devastating for them though. I'm also hoping for some rain soon as the ground is already very, very dry. Like dust here. But if the past 2 years are anything to go by, I won't be getting any more than an inch of rainfall between now and mid August, as the Mediterranean influence takes hold.

IMG_E2158.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Wow, that is mind boggling for the UK in early April!! 

Was the 29/31C recorded temps you mentioned, acknowledged by any weather agencies there? I would have thought they would have made headline news? Below headlines don't seem to mention it. I have close friends in nearby Farnham and they didn't record anywhere near that.

Screenshot_20200411-095127_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39b4f3ade8f2ed0b951c6a7f177d327c.jpg

18 minutes ago, sipalms said:

Was the 29/31C recorded temps you mentioned, acknowledged by any weather agencies there? I would have thought they would have made headline news? Below headlines don't seem to mention it. I have close friends in nearby Farnham and they didn't record anywhere near that.

Screenshot_20200411-095127_Chrome.thumb.jpg.39b4f3ade8f2ed0b951c6a7f177d327c.jpg

Looks like it will cool down there in a few days.  We're in for a warm one today 37c but fortunately the weather bureau are saying it will cool down next week to the mid 20's, I'm over the warm weather and looking  forward to some cooler temps. We're still getting bushfires, that threat has usually passed by now.

Screenshot_20200411-060410_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200411-060312_Chrome.jpg

Edited by sandgroper

Thursday night we had 8mm of rain and we had a drissling 20C day yesterday while Perth had 36C. Today the sky has cleared with a forecast 27C. Will probably hit 30C. The lawn and weeds are growing like crazy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sipalms said:

Not just mind boggling, but actually record breaking! The highest ever April temperature in the UK is 29.4C recorded in London in 1949. Someone needs to contact the Met Office & inform them of this new record & the amazing micro-climate on the outskirts of Guildford as the UK high on Friday according to them was only 25.0C at Bude in Cornwall.

Shall I email them? Or maybe contact the BBC??

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Nowhere near as hot today with my highest recording being just 77F (25C). I saw a few nearby stations nudging 80F and parts of southwest London were certainly hovering around 80F for most of the afternoon. A few places were in the low 80's F. I see Wimbledon, which often see's the highest temperatures around London, maxed out at 83F today. It felt quite humid as well, despite the fact it was only showing 25% humidity this afternoon.

I'm expecting the same again tomorrow, possibly a few degrees warmer, before it starts cooling down on Monday. Then a couple of days of below average temperatures before it gets warm again. Certainly can't complain about the hand we've been dealt so far this spring. Could do with some more rain though, not that any is even forecast.

@sipalms As I've mentioned before pal, I don't have any 'official' stations within a 10 mile radius of me. The Met Office never acknowledge any recordings in my area, despite the fact that I live in one of the hottest parts of the country on the warmest of days. They need to triple their number of 'official' stations to allow better coverage and more varied recordings, outside of the cities especially. 

IMG_2170.jpg

8 minutes ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Not just mind boggling, but actually record breaking! The highest ever April temperature in the UK is 29.4C recorded in London in 1949. Someone needs to contact the Met Office & inform them of this new record & the amazing micro-climate on the outskirts of Guildford as the UK high on Friday according to them was only 25.0C at Bude in Cornwall.

Listen Nathan, you know full well that the Met Office has a severe lack of 'official' stations, especially outside of the major cities or landmarks. If you're going to contact the Met, tell them to build more of these 'official' frickin stations and to put one of them in Guildford. You know that surrounding area often see's the hottest temperatures in the UK, especially in summer. Yet the nearest 'official' station from my house is 13.4 miles away from me, which gives people an idea of the lack of coverage when it comes to these 'official' recordings. 

Anyway, I stand by the recordings from my own station. I recorded 81F on Thursday, 88F on Friday and 77F today. Maybe I do have a bit of a microclimate due to being situated in a heatsink in a valley, at low elevation. It's probably part due to the Foehn effect as well, with the 'Hogs Back' range being situated to the northwest of me. I know it was bloody hot yesterday because the asphalt on the roads was melting outside my house. It was probably even hotter somewhere else within a 2-3 mile radius of me. But again, no 'official' stations anywhere near here.

Countless record temperatures could, and will, be missed every year across the country, especially in my part of Surrey where it gets very warm in summer and has minimal Met stations present. But at the same time that doesn't make my own recordings irrelevant or false though, does it. I'll continue to record and report...

2 hours ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Wait! You still listen to his "facts"? I thought everyone has turned off the switch. lol

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 11.00.52 AM.png

13 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Wait! You still listen to his "facts"? I thought everyone has turned off the switch. lol

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 11.00.52 AM.png

Just for the comedy value...

• Like 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

1 hour ago, SouthSeaNate said:

Just for the comedy value...

Isn't there more important things going on in the world right now than arguing about what temperature I recorded.

It's not even far fetched given that there are multiple stations in my vicinity that have recorded temperatures in the 80's over the past 2-3 days. I suppose all those stations are wrong as well.

Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. Stay safe during these difficult times.

• Upvote 3

Definitely a record-setting Easter.

202004121800_DailyWeatherRecord_Lakeland_00.png

202004121800_DailyWeatherRecord_Lakeland_01.png

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

10:30 PM and it’s 55°F (13°C) and very breezy outside, the air definitely has that incoming storm feeling to it. I’m currently seeing hurricane-force wind gusts for my location tomorrow on a weather model, I thought I was done dragging plants back inside weeks ago but apparently not. Only my heaviest stuff and low profile plants are staying out, I grouped everything together so nothing falls.

Hoping there isn’t much, if any, damage as the trees here are flowering and leafing out.

• Like 1

A beautiful cool change today, currently 24c, I love it. The coming week looks to be mild mostly in the mid 20's which is great. 

5 hours ago, sandgroper said:

A beautiful cool change today, currently 24c, I love it. The coming week looks to be mild mostly in the mid 20's which is great. 

I see Perth official BOM site reached 39.5c ( 103f ) the other day, a new April record. And some eastern suburbs hit 40c ! 
Some suburbs out at Palmerston copped a 50mm downpour last night....me ? I got 6.2mm in the gauge and I reckon that's it for this season. We failed to reach 30c on Saturday just gone, but are forecast for a week of 34/35c after Easter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

I see Perth official BOM site reached 39.5c ( 103f ) the other day, a new April record. And some eastern suburbs hit 40c ! 
Some suburbs out at Palmerston copped a 50mm downpour last night....me ? I got 6.2mm in the gauge and I reckon that's it for this season. We failed to reach 30c on Saturday just gone, but are forecast for a week of 34/35c after Easter.

Last week was pretty warm but fortunately it looks like it might be over now, looking forward to the cooler weather and, hopefully,  some rain!

15 hours ago, cm05 said:

10:30 PM and it’s 55°F (13°C) and very breezy outside, the air definitely has that incoming storm feeling to it. I’m currently seeing hurricane-force wind gusts for my location tomorrow on a weather model, I thought I was done dragging plants back inside weeks ago but apparently not. Only my heaviest stuff and low profile plants are staying out, I grouped everything together so nothing falls.

Hoping there isn’t much, if any, damage as the trees here are flowering and leafing out.

Honestly feeling like a tropical storm right now, winds are howling and gusts are shaking the ground. All I hear is sirens in the background.

Trachy looks a bit tattered but alright, Butia has a snapped frond, my tiny Palmetto has a damaged spear and my Bird of Paradise is shredded.

Edited by cm05