IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

On 12/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, SEVA said:

Unfortunately, the temperatures have dropped down here now.  Only supposed to reach a high of 48F today. With lows expected in the low 20s tonight and tomorrow night.  It shouldn't last long though.  It looks like we'll be in the 50s by the weekend and back in the 60s by Christmas Eve.

Yeah 50s right around the corner. So far I think we have hit 22f for a low, but that may change tonight.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Tell me about it. 9c here. 10:46pm pst

We're not even in winter. 

I can only fathom what will be in store for us in January... -climate change-.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Getting hit with a Pineapple express out of Hawaii, so warm winds and rain.  Overnight we went to 58F, right now it seems to have trended northward so temps are down to 54F at 9:00AM.

8:34pm PST 12/20/21 

Night before Winter:

17C

20191220_203400.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

We have bottomed out at 20 to 21f so far. Not looking good for this winter...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

64° yesterday's high. Suppose to get to 61° today. And current 9:40 am PST temp is 44°. Interesting footnote - our winter lows to this point have only bottomed briefly to 31°. On the west coast, our coldest time of the year historically is within 2 weeks of the solstice. The next 10 day forecast is showing no real strong cool downs. So, in theory a 10A winter is still within reach :D

Edited by NorCalKing
  • Upvote 1

75F right now. Cloudy with strong north wind. Low tonight predicted to be 68F. Possible heavy rain tomorrow.

It's been a strange week. Low a few days ago was 50.7F. Cloudy most days, which has been a mixed blessing because the nights don't cool much. But it has been depressingly dreary. I'm waiting anxiously for typical winter cold plunges that send lows down to low 40s, even 30s. The coldest it's gotten so far is 49.6F. The winter nadir here occurs ~Jan. 10, then average temps start to rise as days grow longer.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Occasional high clouds and 68-75F around Chandler atm on this first day of Winter.. nice day for doing some weeding out front. Interesting that i'm still seeing seedlings of stuff that normally comes up during the summer popping up now in a warm south facing spot here and there around the yard, while, at the same time, winter /spring wildflowers continue gaining size.

About the same anticipated tomorrow temp-wise, maybe a couple degrees warmer. ..and about the same on Monday before rain and cooler weather returns on X-mas Eve. Stays cool and unsettled thru at least the end of the month.   Enjoying it while it lasts..

• Like 1

Just 21C /70F despite perfect sunny skies on the longest day of the year.  Had plenty of rain this week, the garden is very lush. Rhopalostylis sure do look best in shade. This one after 18 months in ground  is looking very happy.20191222_122241.thumb.jpg.836f2c3cb97f2e1e9330f2f999da8b05.jpg

20191222_121953.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

75F right now. Cloudy with strong north wind. Low tonight predicted to be 68F. Possible heavy rain tomorrow.

It's been a strange week. Low a few days ago was 50.7F. Cloudy most days, which has been a mixed blessing because the nights don't cool much. But it has been depressingly dreary. I'm waiting anxiously for typical winter cold plunges that send lows down to low 40s, even 30s. The coldest it's gotten so far is 49.6F. The winter nadir here occurs ~Jan. 10, then average temps start to rise as days grow longer.

it’s been strange here too, albeit nowhere near 70s. Cloud cover has been high this year, like you said, mixed blessing. It has kept us at a 9b winter so far. Not complaining, but I agree with you. It’s gloomy. I miss the sun. 

50 currently. Should stay above freezing this week as the rain moves back in. Lowest I’ve seen so far is 27F. I think officially it was 23-24, but I don’t sit on the valley floor. Regardless, Not bad. 

• Like 1

52F at 1am here off the back of a 54F high on Saturday. Heavy rain and overcast, but still mild nonetheless. A strong Atlantic influence. 

My county got hit by a category 2 tornado earlier today, which touched down about 10 miles north of me. Thankfully nobody has been killed. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

1 minute ago, UK_Palms said:

My county got hit by a category 2 tornado earlier today, which touched down about 10 miles north of me. Thankfully nobody has been killed. 

Glad to hear that much!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

29 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Glad to hear that much!

Thanks. It seems a few people had lucky escapes, judging by the photos doing the rounds. Thankfully it wasn't too strong and didn't touch down in a built up city area. 

EMV41wkWoAISxfL.jpg

EMU4oJ1U4AgwKZZ.jpg

0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-12-21-at-123622jpeg.jpg

1_WhatsApp-Image-2019-12-21-at-140346jpeg.jpg

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Thanks. It seems a few people had lucky escapes, judging by the photos doing the rounds. Thankfully it wasn't too strong and didn't touch down in a built up city area. 

EMV41wkWoAISxfL.jpg

EMU4oJ1U4AgwKZZ.jpg

0_WhatsApp-Image-2019-12-21-at-123622jpeg.jpg

1_WhatsApp-Image-2019-12-21-at-140346jpeg.jpg

Pleased you were not hit by that. Don't tend to think of UK in winter as being a tornado risk.  Know you do get some thunderstorms and odd tornado there after warm summer days.

• Like 1

Prayers go out.

• Like 1

Scary photos of the twister in action. Sending prayers and good wishes.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

48F and raining close to 11am on Christmas morning. Have heard this would be the first time in roughly a decade it has rained on Christmas here.. Comes after the rain we had yesterday this year also.. 

More rain on tap later tomorrow into Friday.  Same storm will spread significant rainfall / Snow across Southern CA. and desert areas of S.E. CA and S.W. AZ which typically miss out on "good" winter rains..  Stays cool until just after the new year, with perhaps some showers to close out the year ..and decade, Then things start to moderate, or, is the current forecast.

• Like 1

1:21 PM EST christmas 78F 66%RH winds ENE @ 12 mph breezy, partly sunny.  Lows overnight @ 63F, back up to 81 tomorrow.  It has rained softly on and off for 4 days with short periods fo sunshine.  Everything is moist, and the air is very fresh. 

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Ditto with @sonoranfans report.  Perfect Christmas, perfect planting day.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

A wet and chilly 47-50F around Chandler and the East Valley as we near 3:30PM on this final Friday of the year.. and decade  as the last round of misty showers heads off toward the northeast. Looks cold over the weekend.. with a freeze watch issued for parts of town south and east of here. Current forecast low for tomorrow night is 34F with Sunday night bottoming out around 36F on my side of the 202 ( Freeway ). Areas just south of here, and out east where the watch is posted for might touch 30-33F on one or both nights.  Might bring in a few of the seedling things but thats about it..

Slow moderation starting on Monday, but anything above 60F doesn't return until at least Wednesday. Right now, next potential rain maker looks to slip further south across Mexico as it passes by.  While a cold end to the year, not complaining since its rare to get decent rain 4 out of 5 days, in a row, even during winter here. Noticing nearby area hills and desert areas are starting to turn nice and green..

On 12/24/2019 at 11:52 PM, sandgroper said:

Currently 31c on this Christmas day but quite humid making it a bit unpleasant. 

Is the heat wave tapering down?

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Is the heat wave tapering down?

It is on this side of the continent but the really warm months are about to start so not looking forward to that mate.

We've been having a warm spell in the Richmond, VA area this past week with most days being in the high 50s and low 60s. It is currently 64°F and super sunny out. I wish it was like this all winter! 

SmartSelect_20191228-124728_Weather.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 3

PalmTreeDude

My low temperature last night was 61F at 5am. Off the back of a 64F high that day. In late December... at 51N :bemused:

Colder tonight though, under the clear skies. Although I still haven't had a frost in about 3 weeks now. The Washies are still pumping out new fronds...

It's been pretty warm the past few days. Low was only 63°F last night. Cold front coming in tonight and will be in the mid 50s to about 60 until Friday when it might reach 70°F for highs (lows 30s to 40s).

Screenshot_20191230-151050~3.png

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

33f a little after 7pm local time. The best time of year.. sun goes down and temperature drops like a rock.  

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

4 hours ago, SEVA said:

It's been pretty warm the past few days. Low was only 63°F last night. Cold front coming in tonight and will be in the mid 50s to about 60 until Friday when it might reach 70°F for highs (lows 30s to 40s).

That is amazing weather for end of December.. our record high for this date is only 65f.. 

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

7 hours ago, SEVA said:

Yeah we have been in the 50s and 60s with damn near 70s a couple of days and lows well above freezing to 50s. Cool down comes the 5th for a few days in the 40s and lows in the mid to high 20s. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Currently sitting at 38F.

weather has still been a little different this year. Highs mostly in the 40s, with a few 50s scattered, which is cooler than normal. However, the lows have been phenomenally warmer. Mid 20s, sometimes. It doesn’t always get below freezing at night lately. overall, pleased. 

• Like 1

Right now it's only 54°F. The highs for this week are in the 50s and 60s. My backyard is in a bit of a microclimate that gets warm when we have days like this with sun, the tempature back there was 62°F today while the weather station said it was 55°F. It's at the top of a hill with my house facing northwest with trees to the north and some deciduous trees to the south. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

PalmTreeDude

Highs have been 50°F for about a week and a half so far. Looking at more 60s Friday and the weekend. Haven’t been below freezing in a week.

• Like 1

50°F and sunny today, this has been a mild winter so far, currently 44°F with rain on the way.

Second winter casualty is my Needle Palm (of all things), not from the cold, not from rot, but from scale. What a shame. First it was my coconut (indoors) for some unknown reason, will not be trying another.

Butia, Sabals, and Trachycarpus fortunei’s look flawless. My other Trachys: Wagnerianus, Takil, Nova, and Princeps look slightly beat up, but as long as they live I don’t care about their appearances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Second winter casualty is my Needle Palm (of all things), not from the cold, not from rot, but from scale. What a shame. First it was my coconut (indoors) for some unknown reason, will not be trying another.

Condolences on your losses :crying:

We hit 27C today. I was not here for that though. We are currently at 15c

• Like 1

Topped out at 81F today according to the thermometer.  Tomorrow will top out it the mid-80s.  After that, time for it to cool off for a while.  Wish every winter day was like today. 

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL