IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

9pm dead still, 20C  68F and 95% rh. Waiting for more rain to arrive. I’m loving these warm balmy nights that came in autumn not summer. The grass is all wet from drizzle earlier after a 29.3C maximum today. If only this would consistently happen every year for 2 or 3 months. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A cool, but not cold 52F atm headed for a high of only 66F ..after hitting the low 90s over the weekend..  Looks like tomorrow we bottom out in the 59-63F range as the Cold core low pressure slowly edging this way from Southern CA. finally moves through. Rain chances here have gone up a touch, but still not anticipating much beyond .10" -.30"-ish of an inch around the low desert/Phoenix/ Tucson. Perhaps a little more in favored areas in the Foothills.  Only the highest peaks around Flagstaff/ N.W. AZ will see more than a few inches of Snow.

Stays cool thru Saturday, then a slow warming trend begins again.. Quite possible it is back to the mid/upper 80s by next weekend, and beyond   ..according to most current forecasts.. Looks like the warmth will spread west to most of CA. over time as well.

Noticed new growth pushing on one of the Mesquites out back, and some flowers starting to appear on the Sweet Acacia in front of the Medical Office Park across the street... More sure signs spring has arrived, at least in this corner of the world...

For anyone here/ in New Mexico... < Or anyone else interested in tracking/ learning about the region's weather/ climatology >, saw this a few minutes ago. Looks pretty interesting. Gotta love U of AZ and their focus on climate/ environmental issues. 

Waiting to hear thoughts on the past winter/ what lies ahead for the area when the next episode of the S.W. Climate Podcast is posted later this month. Been a couple months since the last Podcast. ( Usually done monthly, but the guys hosting it decided to skip January/February since there hasn't been much to discuss )   Already had one notable wildfire east of Phoenix last weekend( Pumpkin Center/ Tonto Basin area ).. Noticed where a couple others had charred a few spots along the 10 heading down to Tucson on Tuesday.  And yes, very early for any fire activity,  even here..  Season ahead looks pretty extreme across the state/ region. While i won't be here, still keeping my fingers crossed for an early start to.. and overall, widespread wet Monsoon season ahead.

Yesterday was in the low 70s, currently 62 at 12:46 with a forecast high of 66 today. Unusually cool March continues for at least a week or two

Monday night is forecasted to be a low of 32 for me and could end up being the extreme low for this winter. Almost Spring! Insane

11 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Monday night is forecasted to be a low of 32 for me and could end up being the extreme low for this winter. Almost Spring! Insane

No way!!!!

We had our extremes las week: A 2 minute hailstorm.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 3/13/2021 at 11:49 PM, GottmitAlex said:

No way!!!!

We had our extremes las week: A 2 minute hailstorm.

36.5F low. Still saw some patchy frost around the neighborhood. Too cold! Finally next week California is going to really warm up

• Like 3

High of 59 in the yard today, currently 42. Suppose to hit 70 Thursday, last week I had a reading of 71. 

Looks like my low for this winter will stand at 17 degrees. Not bad for Idaho, but the next one could knock me on my ass :rolleyes:

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 3

Well we are having a scorching start to autumn down under the land from down under. 33C yesterday and 34C today. Tomorrow is down into the mid twenties then back up into the 30's on Friday and into Sunday. Warmest stretch since summer 2019/20.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

63F at 10:11 currently on the way to the low 80s.. Mid 80s for the start of spring before another cool down, maybe a shower sometime next week..  Sustained stretch of 80F heat look to be pushed off to the end of the month/ start of April as -at least right now- looks like the unsettled, roller coaster pattern tries to hold on across the Southwest a bit longer than thought earlier ( Not that there's any rush to return to day after day 100-110+'s yet ).

Further out, more optimism for the summer ahead, this time from the Nat. WX Service's interpretation of the CPC's seasonal forecasts ( out today ) Per usual, Take w/ a grain of salt, ..but good to see green on the map again here, even this far out..  Hopefully the shades ( of green, on the map ) just get darker over the region as we get closer to the June update.

June/July/ August:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=3

July/August/September:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=4

August/September/October:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=5

Didn't include here but some additional signals for normal/ wetter than normal conditions across parts of the Southwest as well during both September and October..

Current day to day runs of the monthly CFS data for September ( on Tidbits ) has been very persistent so far this month in suggesting potentially wetter than normal conditions for parts of Central and/or Southern California in Sept... Hints of a more active E. Pac. Hurricane season ahead???  Quite skeptical, esp. this far out, for that area,  ..but,  ..we'll see what happens. 

Would be ironic if a tropical storm -related heavy rain event were to effect the region, just a few months after moving back to California.. No complaints if it were to happen though. :lol:

• Like 1

The heat doesn't end. 35.4C here at the moment and we are about 2C warmer in March than we were in February when looking at average maximums and minimums. If I keep everything hydrated we should get some good growth by the end of the season. Here's hoping for a mild winter.

8 hours ago, sandgroper said:

37c here in Jandakot at the moment, fortunately it's sprinkler day and I'm home.

We maxed out at 36.2C today so not much different to Perth. 

• Like 1

74F at 11:11 AM, headed for the mid/upper 80s. Nice way to end winter 2021.

After what is looking like quite a dry stretch ahead, More optimism for the summer ahead. Cross those fingers:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/arizona-could-get-wetter-than-usual-monsoon-in-2021-nws/ar-BB1eJnE5?ocid=hplocalnews

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After a toasty weekend in the upper 80s, and an afternoon in the 70s, a cool, but pleasant 55F at 11: 19 PM.

Looks like maybe a few showers tomorrow afternoon/evening and a cool-ish 68F as a quick moving low passes northeast of the valley.  After this system passes, looking more and more like this might be the coolest week for awhile as the week closes out. Temperatures quickly rebound from the mid 70s Thursday/Friday to the upper 80s/ possible first 2 or so day stretch reaching the low 90s as March closes outs and April rolls on in.  Right now, appears the warmth may finally extend it's reach into California with tonight's 00Z GFS suggesting a few days of 80/80F+ readings across parts of Central / Southern CA, inc. areas closer to the coast, sometime between next Tuesday and roughly the 6th/7th of April.

That said, and as usual,  some back and forth between individual runs ..with some running cooler ..and a continuation of the coolish/ trough-y pattern thru the first week of April,  vs.  other runs looking as warm/ slightly warmer and dry across the region for the same time frame.  A few runs have also been trying to suggest a possible back door- type of moisture surge event moving west into New Mexico, Eastern/ Northern AZ from West Texas but doubt those runs are hinting at anything that will actually occur.

Sweet Acacia started to really burst into flower across the street over the weekend, and noticed a few early flowers on some Palo Verde further up the road from the house.. sure signs the " pleasantly nice " portion of spring is about to kick up the heat a notch ( or two ) as the race to the 100s rounds the first corner.  At the same time, lots of cleaning / getting the house/yards in order,  and packing/re-packing of boxes continues as another countdown quickly ticks away..  Gotta love moving  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Forgot to post this this weekend, but we hit 90F at the house on Sunday - it was HOT down in the yard - and dropped to 38F yesterday morning.

80 sunny (and windy) degrees.

Both of my Trachycarpus fortunei’s are quickly outpacing everything else so far (per usual), they truly are a warm temperate palm, even before they started showing any real visible growth their pots were drying out much faster than any of my more subtropical palms, they seem to awaken at lower temperatures.

To my surprise my Sabal Louisiana is currently in 3rd place after both Trachys, Butia odorata in 4th place. My other Minors and my Palmetto are being lapped by my Louisiana, it’s even trouncing my Wagnerianus.

After a quick shower w/ just enough drops to wet the sidewalk, and a cool breeze, managed to eek out a high of 66F atm under rapidly clearing skies. 

Outside of a summer storm temporarily cooling things off, today might just be the last sub 70F day until at least sometime in October. Rapid warmup starts tomorrow. Current forecast adds 13-15 deg. to today's high ( 79-81 or 2 Sat. vs. mid 60s today ) Mid 80s Sunday, and flirting w/ 90 again Monday. If we don't " officially " top 90 Monday, will likely do so sometime between Thursday and next Saturday/Sunday.  ( 2-4 days between 90-92 forecast at that time ) 

While chances of flirting w/ the upper 90s/ 100 are roughly in the 35- 45%'ish range currently, according to some of the local long range forecast discussions, exceeding currently suggested temperatures for late next week/ next weekend, at least on a day or two, isn't completely off the table either as some of the forecast models can under perform on temperatures during rapid spring warmups here.

How long the upper 80s/ 90s stick around beyond next weekend, we'll just have to see.. As usual, some longer term forecast model output leans cooler ( lower 80s, maybe a day or two in the 70s thrown in ) with others locking in spring heat ( mid/upper 80s/ 90s here and there ) across the area.

While i'm hoping any early stretches in the upper 90s/ 100 hold off a bit longer ( preferably after a moving truck is packed and headed west lol ), nothing lower than 80F thru April would be perfect.

Warmth with the same pattern setting up here appear as though it will push into California over the next week, ..but might not hang around for long just yet.. Pattern beyond next week looks a little more unsettled, esp. for the northern part of the state.. at least right now.  Headed in the right direction, regardless.

72F after flirting w/ 80 earlier,  headed for the mid/upper 80s tomorrow, Upper 80s/ low 90s Monday.  Still looking HOT for the end of next week.. in fact, temperatures for Thursday-Sat. have been boosted to the mid 90s for the Valley.  Question for the week ahead: Could they keep getting pushed up ?

Another sure sign of spring, " Rod " season has arrived.. ( My personal reference to when the first un-opened flowers appear on the mystery Mesquite out back < AKA, " The Beast " > ) A little early to be sure, but looking over the tree, it looks like this may be a good flower/ pod season ahead, unlike the last couple years.  Hopefully this weeks' warmth helps push the flowers a bit faster, before the nearby Chilean Mesquites :sick: catch on. ( Haven't yet started to push new growth ) Neighborhood Honey Mesquite are also just starting to leaf out.
DSC01599.thumb.JPG.25f0816b361435f243dc4ab63e0c5e1a.JPG

DSC01600.thumb.JPG.749bb5d46864ca3d47b0b009482184ed.JPG

" Little Beast " ( 2 yr old Sapling from  " the beast " ) got a haircut today as well.

Before..
DSC01585.thumb.JPG.301d530b52b5dc0aab0ecf9265cfb2aa.JPG

After.. Bend in the leader ( last picture ) will self- correct as the tree gains size.
DSC01586.thumb.JPG.1877a033c8374d48955b4ac70eb16f15.JPG

DSC01592.thumb.JPG.331dd06501713d02ca0799dc268b0589.JPG

Reason for the trim, at this size / height? to focus this season's energy into vertical growth, esp. since i won't be here to continue it's training much longer.

All great trees start with a proper guidance when young. ( Little Beast, standing in front of The Beast, 08/20/20 )

DSC09312.thumb.JPG.743165d1b17a084ff7acaa4ec56e30fc.JPG

• Like 1

Currently a very pleasant 27c at 10.30am. We've had some lovely cooler temps in the mid to high 20's this past week and are expecting the same next week. The nights have also been cooler, much more pleasant sleeping temps. Hopefully the last of the high temps are behind us and we should start to get a bit of rain and milder temps. Autumn is my favourite season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Currently 38c here, so much for the cool change.

We've had temps in the high twenties for the last few days. Hot for down here. This morning we had thick fog that didn't clear until about 9.30am with RH around 100% and night min around 16C. Now it's about 26C and mega mega humid. An eastern states summers day.

• Like 1

This morning.

C1AF74E5-BE14-4068-ADE4-771BF8AD563B.jpeg

• Like 2

Reached 21C / 70F here today and expecting 23C / 74F on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

The Queens are loving it...

thumbnail_image1-1.thumb.jpg.0b6ea15f4efe967157456575c4bd5a3a.jpg

thumbnail_image4.thumb.jpg.34a8e8127c4cc5b3c2abea62c10ed5b7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

78F and climbing at 10:21AM MST. Suggested forecast high today is 90F.. This warm, this early under pretty much clear skies hints we'll exceed that easily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My garden reached 18.9C / 66F today, by far the warmest day of the year so far.  The overnight low of 11C / 52F was also the warmest of 2021 so far.  Tomorrow is forecast to reach 20C / 68F - not bad for the north of England any time of year!

• Upvote 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

March 29/2021

20210329_132600.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Going for 27C today. Yesterday was meant to be 25C but we hit 28.4C with high humidity. It’s still humid and we may hit 30C. Gotta love this Indian summer considering the real summer was a bit of a non event.

We had a high of 5C today but it is supposed to be 15C tomorrow. The low for tonight is -2C. Snow is forecast for Thursday.  Ottawa Canada

Currently 65°f at 7pm.  It was a nice cloudy and cool day today.  Not too cold not too hot.  Going to be 88°f tomorrow and down again to the 60s Thursday.  Just a little roller coaster.

• Like 1

We hit 32.1C today with fog again forecast tonight. Humid.

• Like 1

Maxed out at 26-27C this afternoon in my garden. Not official though. Kew Gardens, which is about 20 miles northeast of me, went up to 24.5C with a Stevenson screen. 

52AC3063154142DBB6E88EAF7D3A5C5C.jpg.aa81513f9bf623abdd0a2f0a886804ce.jpg]

thumbnail_image2-1.thumb.jpg.0d528d805cad4638b1ad5b85c03f6bbd.jpg

thumbnail_image0-3.thumb.jpg.6ad56a4d0ef39255510d98515aa9b512.jpg

I'm debating whether to just plant my Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana in the side border. 'Every king needs a queen', and so forth. It may need some winter protection though...

thumbnail_image0-4.thumb.jpg.46dff5df888e34e0d05f0852d6ab9ee6.jpg

• Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

75F at 9:22 MST, on the way to 88-91F later.. 

After a " slightly " cooler day yesterday, start of a major warmup starts today..  By Saturday, 25-30% chance currently we could reach 100F for the first time this year, and break the daily high record, ( 97F ) at least in Phoenix, set in the early 1940's. Entire Easter weekend/ Monday could flirt w/ break records as forecast highs from Friday-Monday have been bumped up to the upper 90s, vs. middle 90s earlier.

While reaching 90F is typical for this point in the year ( average first 90F high is March 31st ) last time we had an early stretch of 90+ heat was back in 2018. That was also a decent - monsoon season year.. so, ...we'll see.

Passing trough to the north might pull highs back to the lower/ mid- 80's next week, but, at least right now,  that looks temporary..  California might see a decent cool down, 'couple nights in the lower 40s/ ..maybe high 30s, esp. north of San Francisco/ parts of the Sacramento Valley in the next week, but looks the heat will return / build more after the 12th.

Heat over AZ looks to spread east into Texas/ Plains next week as well.  Heat for me, Heat for you, ..Heat for everyone! :D lol...

• Like 1

84F at 6:42PM after barely escaping the 90s today. Mid 90s a sure bet tomorrow. Weekend has bumped up to a possible 99F for both days as well. Lows hang in the low/mid 60s as well.  Current Humidity / Dew Point across the area, below 10% / 10 deg.

Some records broken ..already..  across California today.  Numbers aren't in from the S.F. Bay Area yet but know San Jose reached the mid 80s / Santa Cruz, 82F  Pretty toasty for the end of March.

Other #'s  from around Southern CA. today:

San Diego NWS:

Los Angeles/ Oxnard NWS:

• Like 1

57.9F     Low was 51.1F    Hope this is the last cold snap of the season.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

95F at 12:25PM on the way to 97-99F later.  97-100F Forecast for the rest of the weekend/ start of next week. " Cool down " suggested for the rest of the week has been pushed back to next weekend, -at the earliest. Might not even occur if forecast trends keep moving passing storms further and further north.  'Couple model runs throw around the idea of a modest cool down sometime around the 15th, but doubt it. Even if it happens, won't last long.

With an anticipated high somewhere between 97-99F tomorrow, we'll likely come in somewhere between 2nd and 3rd hottest Easter in the Valley. Hit 100F and we'll be tied w/ 1990 for the hottest Easter here. 

Regardless, not a great day for Chocolate Bunnies, lol.

• Like 1

A hot 93F at noon on Easter Sunday.. We'll see if high cloudiness forecast to increase later on keeps Phoenix from reaching / eclipsing 100F a few hours from now.  Regardless..

100F yesterday. Few other neighborhood stations were 1-3 deg above that. Shooting for 102-104F today, if the clouds hold off long enough. If it's going to be this hot, why not top it off with a chef's kiss right?
DSC01633.JPG.4327a27a62543e50933fcbde95598a1f.JPG

Tie for the hottest day since 1943 for Phoenix yesterday. Sky Harbor only dropped to 67 overnight, which ties for the hottest Easter morning low.

Looking further out, as we gear up for wildfire season, Current drought status across the state ( as of the March 30th update ) and more hope for the summer Monsoon ahead.  While the "above average " tilt is centered over AZ in this graphic, don't assume that means S. Cal. / Sierra Nevada, Nevada, Utah and other areas nearby will be excluded from experiencing enhanced activity. For now,  this looks to be one of the better summer precip. outlooks in at least a couple years.

May NMME update should be out sometime between Tuesday and Thursday of next week.  We'll see if optimism continues/ increases..  Roughly 6 weeks to go until the start of the 2021 Eastern Pacific Hurricane season as well.

• Like 1