IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

A balmy 33 degrees and snow!

It is not my yard though, but close.

0201211153b.jpg

0201211152a_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

High 56 today, currently 47 at just before midnight.

And January is a wrap! January stats from the NWS here:

Average high: 43.6

Average low: 29.2

Snow: Half an inch (I think Vegas and a good part of Texas beat us for snow)

Precipitation: 1.24 inches

And that's it for whats usually our coldest month. Glad it's over.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 2

Pleasant 46F this morning. Highs have been hovering in the 50s/60s, mostly. RH that is taking its time to die back down and cloud cover has keep things really mild the last couple of days. 
Things seem to be trending warmer. This next little ‘disturbance’ was originally forecast as teens; currently forecast as a low of 30 Thursday. Long range outlook currently favoring winter wane, to which I am heavily anticipating. Spring fever is in the air.. 

57ADB5F1-2F0A-4011-880D-325439E23EA0.thumb.jpeg.8cdbde49b049d357f7e720666831dc60.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12:12PM MST:  79F w/ almost wall to wall sunshine. Most neighborhood WX stations across the east valley sitting in the 75-81F range currently. Very quick warm up once the clouds moved out around 9AM. Only bottomed out at 55F. Should hit 80 easily.. We'll see how much higher we end up later.

What 60s were forecast for Thursday-Friday have been bumped to at least 70.  10-20% shot at showers scrubbed.  Nothing but lower/mid-70s forecast beyond that -for now-. Less clouds than forecast next week, maybe more upper 70s/low 80s.  'Some "pre-spring" hiking trips soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

12:12PM MST:  79F w/ almost wall to wall sunshine. Most neighborhood WX stations across the east valley sitting in the 75-81F range currently. Very quick warm up once the clouds moved out around 9AM. Only bottomed out at 55F. Should hit 80 easily.. We'll see how much higher we end up later.

So much for only reaching 80F today, lol.. 

Downtown Chandler at 3:39PM
DSC00534.JPG.dccec5ee495b3d01848dee88c0117e05.JPG

Area temps around 2:30PM:
DSC00532.thumb.JPG.1893df7dd5ae601affd66eb0acd51784.JPG

..Another check around 3:30.. **First 90F reading on the map of 2021.
DSC00533.thumb.JPG.14a294ed881c6a1d49184874c68afdad.JPG

Phoenix, at Sky Harbor managed to tie today's record, set wayy back in 1925.

A couple deg. cooler ..or a repeat.. tomorrow. :greenthumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Beautiful weather today..   currently 55f out approaching 8pm.

Today's high was 68f after a low of 36f..  The 10 day looks pre- springish and nice with moderating Temps.

Almost there.. 

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

What 60s were forecast for Thursday-Friday have been bumped to at least 70.  10-20% shot at showers scrubbed.  Nothing but lower/mid-70s forecast beyond that -for now-. Less clouds than forecast next week, maybe more upper 70s/low 80s.  'Some "pre-spring" hiking trips soon.

Beeeeauuutiful.. !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Pleasant 46F this morning. Highs have been hovering in the 50s/60s, mostly. RH that is taking its time to die back down and cloud cover has keep things really mild the last couple of days. 
Things seem to be trending warmer. This next little ‘disturbance’ was originally forecast as teens; currently forecast as a low of 30 Thursday. Long range outlook currently favoring winter wane, to which I am heavily anticipating. Spring fever is in the air.. 

57ADB5F1-2F0A-4011-880D-325439E23EA0.thumb.jpeg.8cdbde49b049d357f7e720666831dc60.jpeg

What flower is that??  Nice..  the first blooms I get are from my aloinopsis late february..always looking forward to that. 

20 hours ago, ColdBonsai said:

High 56 today, currently 47 at just before midnight.

And January is a wrap! January stats from the NWS here:

Average high: 43.6

Average low: 29.2

Snow: Half an inch (I think Vegas and a good part of Texas beat us for snow)

Precipitation: 1.24 inches

And that's it for whats usually our coldest month. Glad it's over.

Not bad at all..  december/ January are my coldest months.. barring any 2011 repeats.. we should be in the clear for palm growing. Cmon spring!

• Like 2

45F on the way down to a forecast low of 34F.  All my potted palms and other plants (a bunch of plants) are protected.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

What flower is that??  Nice..  the first blooms I get are from my aloinopsis late february..always looking forward to that. 

Sphaeralcea ambigua - globe mallow - a native; various shades of red and Orange; pink exists in nurseries. 
Hey, a couple weeks away! Not bad at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fortunately the NW wind off gulf is helping this area a lot tonight. Tomorrow night should be the cold one. Current temps:

Westchase - 48f

St. Pete - 50f

Nokomis - 55f

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

62F at 8:46AM MST.. On the way to day #2 of possible 80-80F+ highs..  Majority of forecast temps for the next 10 days bumped up again. 73-77F suggested atm  from Sat- next week. Lows 50-53F after next Monday.. Obviously that can change, but lookin' good for now. :greenthumb:

• Like 3

59F at the moment. Predicted Low: 48F per Alexis/Echo and 42F per NBC2.

Lows for the past 2 nights predicted to be in 40s but were in mid-50s. Will lightning strike thrice?

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

62F at 8:46AM MST.. On the way to day #2 of possible 80-80F+ highs.. 

Do it again, ..with more passing cloud cover today?  ..Because yesterday wasn't good enough, right? lol..  Absolutely wild sunset?, icing on the cake. ( *Pics to come in the " Sunsets " Thread )

Phoenix at Sky Harbor, day # at 82F.. On top of obliterating this morning's low ( Was 64F.  Old record " warmest low for the date? 56F )

Temps around town close to 4PM.
DSC00546.JPG.166c68a00d2555282b7d3352e5f951aa.JPG

Downtown Chandler dropped a degree in the time it took to click over to the station's data.
DSC00547.JPG.65d0a214eecec8c28c7d7f5b5f7a2836.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Do it again, ..with more passing cloud cover today?  ..Because yesterday wasn't good enough, right? lol..  Absolutely wild sunset?, icing on the cake. ( *Pics to come in the " Sunsets " Thread )

Phoenix at Sky Harbor, day # at 82F.. On top of obliterating this morning's low ( Was 64F.  Old record " warmest low for the date? 56F )

Temps around town close to 4PM.
DSC00546.JPG.166c68a00d2555282b7d3352e5f951aa.JPG

Downtown Chandler dropped a degree in the time it took to click over to the station's data.
DSC00547.JPG.65d0a214eecec8c28c7d7f5b5f7a2836.JPG

Whoah!

Very nice!!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

55 right now, low of 34 tonight. Forecast are trending down for next week with a nice blob of cold currently over the middle of the country.

Screenshot_20210206-161251_MyRadar.jpg

1906939.jpg

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently 62.7F at 9:19 pm on Feb. 7th in my yard in Flour Bluff in Corpus Christi, Texas.  Looking forward to Spring.  Hopefully the bad Arctic front that was predicted for the end of this coming week will weaken and move east, and spare South Texas.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It actually reached 70 F today, a few degrees warmer than predicted. Pretty warm along the coastal plain today.

CC544A79-B538-4D3B-B386-A2D204CA66DE.jpeg

99F61627-7D69-4745-8946-E13442A986E3.jpeg

• Like 2

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

Feb 22, 2021

1:45pm PST

33C/91.4F

20210222_134429.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

71F at 6:34PM MST after day #2 in the low 80s. ( Phoenix @ sky harbor: 81F/ Downtown Chandler: waffling between 80-83F through the afternoon. )

Escaped for the day and it was plenty warm where i headed..   BIG multi section thread(s) ahead..  For now, enjoy a clue.. or two.
DSC01382.JPG.632deb2da14fa77893289652a3a04299.JPG

DSC01402.JPG.e9afdbac0ba12189855f825c04332515.JPG

• Like 4

After lower 70s and calm conditions yesterday, a sunny -but blustery- end to February around Phoenix and the Low Desert as yet another dry low passes over far northeastern AZ.  A re-occurring feature both this month and through most of January.  Currently 53 just after 10AM. Forecast for the low/mid 60s later. We'll see if we get there.  For those curious, current humidity here is 11%.  Dew point is -1 Deg.. Watching to see how much lower into negative #'s it drops through the day.  

Wind backs off after sunset and we jump up 10-14 deg tomorrow.  Warm up continues until possibly topping out in the low 80s Wednesday when it appears, ~for now at least~, we might actually see .10- .40" of rain sometime Wed. eve/ early Thursday morning.

Unless things change dramatically by then, ( always possible ) looks like we'll see some of the warmest weather so far this year by next weekend/ early next week. Right now, looks like low 80s are back by Friday, lower to mid 80s next Saturday/ Tuesday. A day or two in the upper 80s isn't completely off the table either at some point.  Possibility of another quick moving cut off low approaching the region later.

Looking further out, our typical " signals the start of spring " period of sustained warmth may hold off until after the 15th.

It's currently 18c in Jandakot, it's pouring with rain, it's cool and I'm loving every minute of it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sandgroper said:

It's currently 18c in Jandakot, it's pouring with rain, it's cool and I'm loving every minute of it!

Sounds like here. Only it’s drizzling. Rain comes later.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

4 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Sounds like here. Only it’s drizzling. Rain comes later.

I don't know how much rain we've had today but it hasn't stopped and it's pouring down at the moment mate, love it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wall to wall sun and low to mid 80s atm around the valley as the wind starts to pick up. Anticipating a very windy afternoon as a dry front approaches.. Could see gusts between 30-45mph in/around Phoenix, w/ potential for blowing dust ( since winds are from the south/southwest today ) Same system that was going to give us some light rain.. MIGHT offer a few drops late tonight. Temps. head back to the low 70s tomorrow, before flirting with the mid/upper 80s over the weekend. For now, looks like we'll see a decent cool down ( w/out any more rain.. as things look right now ) next week.

Pattern could start to settle down/ warm up more consistently after next weekend as we count down the last days of Winter 2020-21.  In the meantime, Red Flag/ Fire Wx warnings up for the western/southern half of the state are perhaps an early hint of what lies ahead as spring sets in.  While wayyy off in the future, continue to keep a very close eye out for any early hints offered by longer term forecasts for this summer's Monsoon season pattern. Going to be a tough road ahead for the region until then.

84-88F around the East Valley, windy and lots of lofted dust as the clock nears 3PM.

Hovering between 87-88F down the road in Downtown Chandler, 83-86 across most neighborhood Wx stations atm. Today's forecast was 83F.

85-87F suggested for tomorrow, 89-90F Sunday.. Won't be surprised if we easily top that in the 'hood.  Another 12-15deg cool down -for a few days- by Wednesday. Might be the last however.. Stronger signals right now mostly 80 deg days will settle in, -for the rest of the month and beyond- starting around the 20-22nd. 

Engines are revving.. Looks like the race to 100F will begin shortly.

Real weird March so far. Tonnes of humidity. Nights around 18,19C days between 22-28C and drizzle to rain on and off all week. Not much wind either. The garden is going crazy. It’s like living in a subtropical cloud. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

61.3F  Don't know what ultimate low was but suspect mid-50s. Temps rebound fast when the March sun rises. Another cold front came in yesterday and gave us needed rain.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

88F at 4:45PM after a high of 93F about an hour ago under passing high clouds..  Most of the East Valley reached the upper 80s/low 90s as well.

83-86F tomorrow before temps cool back to the mid/upper 60s Wed./Thursday.. Before another warming trend starts..

Same unsettled pattern across the region for this week might bring the low desert a few drops, but not much else. High country will get a few inches of snow, but won't really put much moisture into the soil up there when it melts..

I woke up to an 18C morning (about the minimum) jet black clouds and almost the constant rumbling of thunder in the air. Man it has been a humid and wet growing season this year. Although the official readings don’t show it, the low evaporation rates due to the lack of sunshine and very high humidity has meant that the ground is moist right through and even drizzle that we have been getting every day for about 3 weeks has kept everything hydrated well. My lakes are the highest I’ve ever seen them at the end of summer and my water tanks are full. According to windy.com we are going for a humid 28C today. Not classic Mediterranean climate at all. We’ve been oceanic this year. 

3/9/21

5:40PM PST 

13C / 55F !

They're calling for two days of rain starting at midnight. At least that will help restrain the lows for tomorrow morning. 

Honestly it's too cool (weatherwise) for this time in the afternoon and 1/3 of the way into March.

16153404109861502615459019089204.jpg