IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Upper 50s under bright sun in Miami on X mas day....after a low of 56 earlier this AM. I think the upper 50s will be our high for today. I am so sick of the cold fronts always over performing. They always underestimate how strong and quick the rebound will be for temps...they were calling for low 60s today. I think the mid 40s they are forecasting for tonight will be lower 40s..and if the wind dies down maybe some upper 30s too.

A high of 28c today.

20201225_151030.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

A high of 28c today.

20201225_151030.jpg

55F at 9:07 PM.. Cool and cloudy X-mas eve, Warm and sunny X-mas day.. 72F in the neighborhood, 75 downtown ( Chandler ).. 71F down the road in Phoenix. 68-73F for the final weekend of the year.. Couple cool days/ flirt with freezing evenings still on track to finish out 2020,  Back, close to 70F,  to open '21..

• Like 2

At 2:30PM MST, can't ask for a better Sunday, in Winter,  just after Christmas..

While most neighborhood stations here in the East Valley are sitting in the 68-73F range, Downtown Chandler station has made it to 80F.. Several other stations here and around Tempe/Mesa have been wavering between 73-76 as clouds pass..  Just getting back from a long hike, could swear it was hotter, especially out where i was at. 

65-68F tomorrow, then a few days in the 58-61F range as 2020 ends.. Forecast chance of rain is still there apparently, but doubt we'll see a drop.  Lows hang in the 30s most of this week. Back to the mid/upper 60s to start next week..

As for today's journey, Pictures to come, as soon as i get done editing, lol... Needless to say, Picture perfect..

• Like 2

im going to get to 60 degrees in a few days it was 56 today weird its getting this warm in late December in the dc metro area

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

39F at the moment. On and off drizzle all day. Cloud cover will keep us above freezing tonight. Looks like a cooler stretch once it clears and then back to highs in the 50s. Not sure the accuracy of any models, as they keep changing, but I’ve seen a drop as low as 19F come and go a couple of times. We’ll see what we get. 

• Like 2

Currently 71f going down to 64f tonight.  Going to be in the 80s for the next couple of days until we get another cold front to knock down the temps.  @RyManUtah  how are your palms holding on. I saw that you got pretty cold.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

@RyManUtah  how are your palms holding on. I saw that you got pretty cold

Most are fairing quite well. Only noticing damage on W.robusta, L.nitida & Muley. Nothing I’m worried about, however. 

• Like 1

About as cold as we get here in Leucadia this morning.  I haven't checked my high/low thermometer, but had frost on the west facing roof even after the sun rose enough to start warming the southeast facing part of my yard.  The Dypsis plumosa seems to have kept some of the roof from developing frost underneath it's leaflets.  My wife went to the pool in nearby Carlsbad and said her car read 37 degrees when she arrived around 6:45 this morning.

20201230-BH3I2142.jpg

20201230-BH3I2144.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

A cool 61F under clouds, and the hint of a sprinkle or two passing overhead.. a fitting end to the year i suppose.  Sun returns tomorrow.  While nights stay coolish.. lower 40s, mid/high 30s, High moderate back to around 70 by the start of next week/ most of next week, or is what is currently suggested atm.

Looking at the past month, while nights have run a bit cool, yesterday marked day 23 w/ highs at/above the daily average for December ( Per accuweather graph data.. will have to look over the Noaa's data later ) 23 out of 31 days at/above normal,  Not too shabby.. aside from the lack of rain/snowfall.  Jan. looks about the same for now, though i have seen forecasts waver between warmer and slightly cooler so, we'll see..  40 or so days to go before " winter in the desert " is on the wane..

• Like 1

Our New Years weather at 1:50AM PST

8C

Happy New Years everyone! May this year forget about last and may we turn the corner on 2020. 

God bless you all.

Gott mit uns

Alex

20210101_015217.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3:00AM PST

6C....

Brood lamps turned on at 8C

20210101_032102.jpg

20210101_032046.jpg

20210101_032742.jpg

• Like 2

After a cloudy and chilly end to 2020, A bright and sunny start to 2021.. After a night of Fireworks.

In all honesty, in the -just about- 5 years here, no one in my neighborhood has set off as many "Sky Lights", ..let alone on new year's Eve, as they did last night.. While some people understandably aren't fond of them,  some flashy entertainment, under chilly midnight moonlight was perhaps the best way to send a bad year packing. 

63F currently after downtown Chandler reached 70 around 2PM.. while most neighborhood stations hung in the mid/ upper 60s around the rest of the East Valley.  Still looking milder next week, w/ lows also rising from the mid 30s over the weekend, to the lower 40s later.

Not that i trust it much but this afternoon's  18z run of the GFS ( Trop. Tidbits ) is whispering at a possible stretch of mid/upper 70s sometime around mid-month.

If it pans out, ( probably too optimistic though considering all the run to run/ day to day volatility in the Wx models lately ) a few spots out near Yuma / El Centro might notch the first 80F readings for the year across the region as well..  We'll see.. 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

After a cloudy and chilly end to 2020, A bright and sunny start to 2021.. After a night of Fireworks.

In all honesty, in the -just about- 5 years here, no one in my neighborhood has set off as many "Sky Lights", ..let alone on new year's Eve, as they did last night.. While some people understandably aren't fond of them,  some flashy entertainment, under chilly midnight moonlight was perhaps the best way to send a bad year packing. 

63F currently after downtown Chandler reached 70 around 2PM.. while most neighborhood stations hung in the mid/ upper 60s around the rest of the East Valley.  Still looking milder next week, w/ lows also rising from the mid 30s over the weekend, to the lower 40s later.

Not that i trust it much but this afternoon's  18z run of the GFS ( Trop. Tidbits ) is whispering at a possible stretch of mid/upper 70s sometime around mid-month.

If it pans out, ( probably too optimistic though considering all the run to run/ day to day volatility in the Wx models lately ) a few spots out near Yuma / El Centro might notch the first 80F readings for the year across the region as well..  We'll see.. 

After the punishing summer I hope the weather Gods give you a seasonably or above average winter this year. And a nice monsoon this coming summer.

I remember that there is usually a nice pronounced warm spell in February in the Yuma and El Centro area....and when it's over it's March and the temps are already climbing to Spring values. If you get a warm January I think you will be smooth sailing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

After the punishing summer I hope the weather Gods give you a seasonably or above average winter this year. And a nice monsoon this coming summer.

I remember that there is usually a nice pronounced warm spell in February in the Yuma and El Centro area....and when it's over it's March and the temps are already climbing to Spring values. If you get a warm January I think you will be smooth sailing. 

December was seasonal, overall, so if the next month and a half are similar ( or a touch warmer ) than last month, then the suggested forecast for the winter here will verify..  Wild card is def. next summers' Monsoon..  Hoping it is the complete opposite of the past 2 years..  Last year, Phoenix had 15 days where more than 0.01" of rain was recorded.. a record.  Old record was 18 days, back in 2017.. which was also a horrible summer heat-wise/ dry/ warm winter ( '17-18 ).  Summer 2018 was wet, though oddly just below normal,  ..for Phoenix anyway..  so we'll see if a similar ( or wetter ) pattern occurs this year.

I remember taking a detour around the Salton Sea while on the way to Tucson in early March one year when living back in San Jose and it was already over 100 there when i passed through.  Warm rest of the winter/ into spring is fine, as long as that doesn't = daily upper 90s kicking back in by mid March, lol..

• Like 1

Currently 56.6F in my yard in Four Bluff, Corpus Christi, TX at 10:14 pm, after a low this morning of 36F and a high today of 63F.

John

• Upvote 1

Back yard (both coldest point in the morning and hottest in the day) bottomed out at 25F (-3.9C) last night, topped out at 74F (24C) this afternoon.  Most weather underground stations showed the rest of Wickenburg somewhere between 30F-34F for a low and 66F-70F for a high.  Front yard bottomed out at 27F and topped out at 73F.  That's a 49F or 28C diurnal swing for me today - which appears to be fairly typical.

No frost - as always.  Nothing damaged even slightly.  This is the second coldest night this year.

Edited by ahosey01

Woke up to a very chilly 43.7° here in St. Petersburg.  I think my PWS is in the optimal spot for measuring the coldest temps (away from the house, 7 feet above the ground, no cover, etc). I need to drive around the neighborhood to see where others are located, otherwise I’m in a crappy microclimate amidst a great microclimate. 

B7938679-D718-47A9-99AC-CD14F9F9DDDF.jpeg

9A35B8ED-647F-44F4-B79A-C4B4090D2777.jpeg

Edited by JJPalmer
  • Like 1

Cool mornings, afternoons in the upper 60s-low 70s.. Not a bad way to finish out the first week of the year.. Slight dip in temps. over the weekend ( mid/upper 60s ) than looking more and more like a run at the mid 70s by this time next week.  While still wavering some, more and more runs of the GFS on Tidbits/ CFS runs on Pivitol seem to be zeroing in on whats looking like an extended streak of warmth for the Low Deserts, central /so. CA over the next couple weeks..

As if already sensing early warmth, spring annuals out front are bolting, with the first Desert Bluebell ( Phacelia campanularia ) of the season noted today while i was taking down the rest of the x-mass lights.. Many others are getting close. Looking back at last year and the start of 2019, they're about 6 days ahead of both years.. First flowers of the season last year opened on the 12th.
DSC00428.thumb.JPG.766406b7546f7404ed066ff0069463c7.JPG

Also, first set of NMME  data for 2012 came out today..  Posting suggested Temps for both Feb. and March..  Will post next month, but Spring 2021 is looking pretty warm for many areas as well..
***Remember, take these forecasts as suggestions.. and, just because the trend may be for warmer, overall that does not mean any particular area may not see a late winter cold spell, frost/freeze..****

Feb.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/NMME/current/ustmp2m_Lead1.html

March.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/NMME/current/ustmp2m_Lead2.html

Looking -further- out, some hope for the Southwest still being suggested for the coming summer monsoon.. Hoping the more bullish, wetter members of the 8 used for June, July and August's precip. maps keep trending wetter..  Obviously, still wayyy to early to get overly excited.. But, at least ( for now anyway ) they aren't piling more abnormally dry forecasts onto an already super dry situation.. If eastern AZ, and/ or New Mexico sees some early season storms/ slightly wetter than average conditions, say just after the start of summer, that would be a step in the right direction..    We'll see what happens later..

Looks like next week may be a good time to do more " Socially Distanced Exploring ".. Clock is ticking on what time i have left here in the desert.. let alone the return of the heat..   If ..big if.. the suggested warming trend for mid month decides to exceed current thoughts, maybe we'll flirt with a day or two around 80 /low 80s.. A few day stretch in the low/mid 80s still looking quite possible for Yuma/ El Centro. For now anyway. 

Fortunately I've finished work for the day and the beer is cold! I was welding for the first 7 hours today which was pretty unpleasant.

Screenshot_20210108-145513_Gallery.jpg

Jan 9th, 2021

1:20pm PST 

30C/86F

20210109_131611.jpg

Minus 3°C (26°F) currently at 11pm CET in Southwest Germany 

Keep safe

Eckhard 

Screenshot_20210109-225028_Transparent clock & weather.jpg

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

This morning was 47 around 7AM in North Miami after a cool day in the 60s yesterday. Today more of the same is forecasted but it should be milder tonight (above 50). I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop and for the polar vortex to unleash itself on the eastern US like they have been forecasting. I see the NOAA long range forecast for January shows above average but in their 6-10 day and 2-3 week forecasts they are forecasting below average temps...and it has already been below average in January...so I think their above average forecast for the month and next 2 months as a whole for the southeast is a bust, and this is WITHOUT the polar vortex yet. Let's hope they are wrong about that too.

47.7F ATM. Low this morning: 44.8F

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Currently 46.6F here.  The lowest temperature recorded in the yard for this morning was 40F.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

66.0F ATM. Low was 55.9F. An improvement over yesterday. Next cold front due this weekend - officially a trend this winter.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

A mostly sunny and mild Wednesday afternoon after another chilly start around Phoenix and the East Valley atm.. 71F in Downtown Chandler, mid 60s- 70 across the board on this side of town..

BIG warm up starts tomorrow after we bottom out somewhere in the 38-42F range in the morning ( 4-7 deg warmer than this morning ). Should reach the mid 70s later.. Current forecasts have temps Friday - Sunday. max out in the upper 70s. Would not be surprised if we see our first 80F reading Friday or Sat.  Lows also rise, to the lower/mid 40s.

Looks like highs back off to the mid/upper 60s next week. Various GFS runs have been suggesting a cut off low may dive south over the Southwest at some point, maybe offer some showers..  no extended forecasts are showing this solution atm..  Regardless, we'll see another quick cool spell before warmth likely returns as we close in on the end of the month.

Today marks day two that we gain 1+ minutes of daylight each day forward.  By next Tuesday, sun will start rising earlier each day as well..  The climb toward summer 2021 has begun.

• Like 1

1/14/2021  12:30pm PST

Currently 34C/93.2F

Our low this morning was 13C/55.4F

• Like 1

1/14/2021  8:40pm PST

Currently 23C/73.4F

They're calling for temps in the high 90's/low 100's for tomorrow. 

20210114_210736.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

1/14/2021  8:40pm PST

Currently 23C/73.4F

They're calling for temps in the high 90's/low 100's for tomorrow. 

20210114_210736.jpg

:bemused: crazy!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

2 hours ago, James760 said:

:bemused: crazy!

My coconut palms are loving it! Mid winter and at 22/23C @ midnight

And 2nd thermometer. 

16106995828643740066754901292856.jpg

16106996483735672501062354566472.jpg

And no. Broodlamps haven't kicked in. They are trained for anything under 10C.  But these cocos are growing nicely.

16106998874318172323168981361337.jpg

16106999398254171088104206391430.jpg

• Like 1

Warm and wall to wall Sunshine across the East Valley and Phoenix this afternoon.. Downtown Chandler WX station sitting at 79F while most other neighborhood stations are lagging behind by 1-4 degrees.. Should add a few more over the next couple hours.

As warm as it is here, MUCH more impressive numbers across San Diego/ rest of S. Cal. atm.. Many neighborhood stations, ( WX Underground ) away from the coast, currently sitting the upper 80s/ lower/ mid 90s! ..in mid-January!. This is THE  perfect example of temperatures driven by Santa Ana conditions. As warm as it is out there, winds through the mountains/passes are extremely strong as well. 88F to 94F in/around Vista, San Marcos, and Escondido atm, while stuck in the lower/mid 70s right along the coast ( Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas )

Stays warm here ( and out there ) thru the weekend, before a cut off low develops over Southern Nevada, and swings southwest, then settles in off the coast of Nor. Baja, ..bringing on a pattern change.. Looks like both areas see both a cool down, and possible rain chances over the next week or so starting Tuesday/Wednesday.. Doesn't really get too cold though, at least that isn't what is suggested for either area in the forecasts..

Seeing hints of another warm up, though maybe not quite as warm as this weekends', after that as we end the month/ start February.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

JAN/15/2021 2:13pm PST

37C/98.6F

The low this morning was 16C/60.8F

• Like 1

Managed to top out at 82F Downtown.. Still in the mid/ upper 70s ..and a few low 80s around the rest of Chandler/ East Valley.. Should be a nice evening.

First of a few updates i'll post as they come in from around S. Cal:

88 in Downtown San Diego, ...in mid- January.. Pretty impressive..  ( Feel free to repeat a few times this coming July/ August, lol:D:winkie: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Managed to top out at 82F Downtown.. Still in the mid/ upper 70s ..and a few low 80s around the rest of Chandler/ East Valley.. Should be a nice evening.

First of a few updates i'll post as they come in from around S. Cal:

Today's #'s from around L.A./ S.W. California:

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Records broken or tied in/around San Diego/Orange County:

Oh yeah!

10:09pm PST. And we are at 20C.

Jan 15th, 2021.

:D

• Like 1