IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Ended up with readings throughout the yard from 37F to 41.5F.  The airport ended up with 39F, so almost the midpoint between all of my numbers.  Did have some ice on the windshield, but it did give me a chance to see if the tree in the front was making a difference.  Looked like maybe some light frost in some areas in the front yard, but none under the perimeter of the tree canopy.  In IT terms - works as designed.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

32F here this morning in the front yard.  26 in the back.  No frost to speak of.

It was down to 36 in the front yard by 9:30 last night, so I was sure it would get really cold.  Didn’t happen though.

Been monitoring weather underground more lately.  Looks like the line up I-60 between the Harcuvars and the Harquahalas from Salome to Aguila stays right about in line with where we’re at.  Hit 33 in Salome this morning.

A gloomy 49F with heavy clouds and rain.  Entering ground hog day season.

image.png.4101d904d7ab0d764993097e80fbc206.png

A cool 61F at the moment after bottoming out at 33F..  Another chilly night ahead, though likely a deg or 2 warmer. Highs trend steadily warmer through the 60s thru the rest of the week, reaching the 70-72F mark by Sunday / Monday, then hanging around the mid/upper 60s X- mas week, and as we close out 2020.

Continued volatility in the Models as the year ends/ 2021 begins w/ some runs hinting at a little more rain, others stay dry ( and mild ).. 

Let's hope its a warm rain for you...I was in Phx once in January and it rained grapple....I think how that's spelled. To me it was sleet...so I'm not sure what the difference was technically...but it was cold and it didn't melt immediately either. I suppose the snow would be better for the mountains and drinking water though. 

15 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

A cool 61F at the moment after bottoming out at 33F..  Another chilly night ahead, though likely a deg or 2 warmer. Highs trend steadily warmer through the 60s thru the rest of the week, reaching the 70-72F mark by Sunday / Monday, then hanging around the mid/upper 60s X- mas week, and as we close out 2020.

Continued volatility in the Models as the year ends/ 2021 begins w/ some runs hinting at a little more rain, others stay dry ( and mild ).. 

• Like 1

ITS SNOWING IN NOVA YAY

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

27F in the back yard today and 28F in the front. Coldest morning since moving here - at least in the front yard.  Back yard has hit 24F a couple times.

Already up to 44F in the back yard and the sun peeked only an hour and a half ago.  High around 65 expected today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chinandega81 said:

Let's hope its a warm rain for you...I was in Phx once in January and it rained grapple....I think how that's spelled. To me it was sleet...so I'm not sure what the difference was technically...but it was cold and it didn't melt immediately either. I suppose the snow would be better for the mountains and drinking water though. 

Think it's spelled Graupel, or is close enough, lol..  Not sure if you'd heard about it but had several big-time Hail events in/around the valley last year.. Missed 98% of them, esp. those where it stuck around on the ground for more than 8 hours ( or could be sledded on ) Big hail is pretty much the only thing i haven't seen here ( aside from it snowing, in my yard = Not allowed to do that, lol )..

Due to how decent last year was, water supply should be in good shape for the year ahead. Trouble really starts if next summer-fall is abysmal again.

48 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

27F in the back yard today and 28F in the front. Coldest morning since moving here - at least in the front yard.  Back yard has hit 24F a couple times.

Already up to 44F in the back yard and the sun peeked only an hour and a half ago.  High around 65 expected today.

Looks like it bottomed out between 30-32F here at the house/ in the neighborhood.. No frost/ signs of any in the typically shaded/ open to the sky spots out back though.  Coldest for the winter so far.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Looks like it bottomed out between 30-32F here at the house/ in the neighborhood.. No frost/ signs of any in the typically shaded/ open to the sky spots out back though.  Coldest for the winter so far.

32F this morning in the front, 31F in the back. What about you?

We hit 71F in the backyard by like 2PM yesterday afternoon.

6 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

32F this morning in the front, 31F in the back. What about you?

We hit 71F in the backyard by like 2PM yesterday afternoon.

Reached 65F yesterday..  35F last night.. Seemed a bit colder though.  Forecast is for 68 today but not sure that's gonna happen w/all the high clouds overhead.. Highs are hanging between 59-62 around the neighborhood atm.

• Like 1

Currently 52.1F. Low was 48.0F (predicted = 47F). But the wind is brutal and makes the temps feel much worse. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Coldest night of the year in our area of St. Pete. Proximity to the bay didn’t seem to matter much. Dropped down to 42°. 

• Like 2

A balmy 25F in the front yard this morning!!

Already up to 47, though, and the sun’s been up an hour and a half or so. Bismarckia so far appears unphased.

No frost.

Edited by ahosey01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

Already up to 47, though, and the sun’s been up an hour and a half or so. Bismarckia so far appears unphased.

No frost.

53F earlier and FINALLY a touch of frost -on rooftops, and some 2X4's sitting out in the coldest/ most open to the sky part of the yard..  Today's forecast for 66F.. Clear skies today =  maybe a degree or two extra degrees ( crosses fingers ).. 68- Low 70s Sunday- Wednesday.. Not bad for Christmas week in AZ. 

• Like 1

57f right now. A low of 27.1f this morning & 90% humidity <_< had a little frost on the car windows. Typical " winters" day here. We warm up a bit with some highs in the mid 60's next few days :interesting:

Lowest temperature so far has been 24.1f & 25.7f measured on 2/5 of my sensors spreader around my property. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

4 hours ago, JJPalmer said:

Coldest night of the year in our area of St. Pete. Proximity to the bay didn’t seem to matter much. Dropped down to 42°. 

Wow, that's pretty cold for your area. Usually there's a bigger difference between here and there.

Lows this morning:

Westchase - 39.7f

St. Pete - ~41f

Nokomis - ~43f

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Temperatures on my thermometers ranged from 40F-44F overnight last night.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

5 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

No frost.

74F at 2:30PM.  49F diurnal temp swing from morning to afternoon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ahosey01 said:

74F at 2:30PM.  49F diurnal temp swing from morning to afternoon.

You must be in a part of town that faces south or west ( east side of the river? Below W Mountain? ) that both heats up quick/ cold pools really well since none of the Wx underground stations in/around Wickenburg are that warm atm ( or have gotten near as cold ) All but one, Yawning Lizard Retreat ( KAZWIKE2 ), odd name, lol..  are to the west of the River / Hwy. 60 though. ..Interesting..

4 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

You must be in a part of town that faces south or west ( east side of the river? Below W Mountain? ) that both heats up quick/ cold pools really well since none of the Wx underground stations in/around Wickenburg are that warm atm ( or have gotten near as cold ) All but one, Yawning Lizard Retreat ( KAZWIKE2 ), odd name, lol..  are to the west of the River / Hwy. 60 though. ..Interesting..

You'll have to swing by and check out the garden sometime if you're in the area.  I'm west of the 60 - but literally right up against it.  My yard backs up to the flood control plain that ADOT dug when they put the highway in.

It's wild down here.  Someone's growing a Sissoo, though, so I don't know what to expect.

16 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

See previous post.  However - to this same point - KAZWICKE2 is showing 37 right now and my front yard is at 32.  Back yard 29.

No frost.  Yesterday we reached a high of 74 in both yards.  I had gone for a walk with a hoodie on, and had to take it off pretty quickly in the sun.  Usually I don’t feel like that unless it’s at least in the 70s.

• Like 1

69.3F now. Low was 50.9F (predicted = 50F). Temps should moderate for the next few days but still stay at Jan. averages with sunny skies.

Meg

Florida

2:30pm PST Dec 20th

30C/86F

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Currently, 68F with a torrential downpour.

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

51 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

I’d kill for a torrential downpour.

Its rained twice here in 10 months now - none torrential.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

We had a quick 3.1” just north of Downtown St. Petersburg.  Welcome surprise for December. 

• Like 1

We’ve been getting hit with an atmospheric river for the last 24 hours coming from the South Pacific. Localized flooding and I’ve heard of a few landslides today due to the large amounts of rain. Overnight lows in the mid 50s, same as the days. Clearer weather in the forecast with a couple overnights predicted at 30f mid week. 

First day of winter 2020,

Barely 7:55am PST and we're at 24C/75F

20201221_075522.jpg

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Not bad for the shortest day of the year: 74-78F around the East Valley, with a few 80s thrown in too..   Shave a couple degrees tomorrow, and stay in the mid/upper 60s thru Christmas day..  Maybe a shower or two by Monday.. But don't hold your breath..

Happy Winter Solstice..

• Like 3

43 out back, 37 at the airport. This winter has been strange with overnight lows consistently below average but we've avoided any large dips or truly cold weather (relative to the area). The lowest my backyard has seen is 21°, with high teens in other parts of the valley.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 1

12/23

10:53 PM PST 

17C/ 63F with 6RH

... and Santa Ana winds.

In any case, I'm misting them.

IMG-20201223-WA0136.jpeg

Summer must be right around the corner.

Only bottomed out at 35F.  Practically May for Wickenburg.

Edited by ahosey01

80F at 2 p.m. Christmas Eve on the Isabelle Canal. Palms are happy but for how long? Hard to believe Sat. morning may be 40 or below and that the highs Fri and Sat may be 62F & 60F respectively.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

58F, and a cool and cloudy X-Mas Eve around the Low Desert atm..  Back up to about 70F tomorrow thru Sunday, then another modest cool down to end the year next week.. Likely we'll see some crispy mornings again in the 33-37F range, and that nagging 20% chance of a shower on Monday next week as well..  All in all, a touch on the Coolish side, but not unexpected as we round out the bottom of the year.  No worries.

Christmas eve, 9:33PM PST

16C/61F

16088745078967462295876424618561.jpg

A typical warm Christmas day here in Perth. Hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas wherever you are in the world!

Screenshot_20201225-134357_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Merry Christmas

20201225_000910.jpg

• Like 1

Currently 54F and 12:30 Christmas Day. At 8 a.m. it was 53F. I got a feeling we won't reach the predicted high of 61F. At 2 a.m. I heard the cold front arrive with a burst of wind and rain that lasted 5 minutes, thank God. I decided the uber tropicals gotta come indoors tonight. This is the coldest Christmas in 25 years in Cape Coral. And we still got Jan. to come. Nothing is ever easy. Merry Christmas to all.

Meg

Florida