IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

After a pretty chilly start ( bottomed out at 40F in the neighborhood ), nice afternoon spent in the lower 70s.. Perfect for another trip out yonder to get more gravel and boulder hop.

Trend is up the rest of the week. Crazy as it sounds, may flirt with 90F sometime between Tuesday-Thursday next week.. 85-88F is what is currently forecast starting Monday but possible highs get boosted a degree or two by the time Monday arrives. Regardless, a couple days could break daily records. 2020, ..continues being 2020, lol

Great day for a walk, and quiet reflection for those who fought for everyone's right to wide open spaces.
1793017958_DSC09886(2).JPG.3b16aefdf885728071fbec57e1998bf1.JPG

• Like 2

Currently 37F as the sun comes up. Had two “hard freezes” of 28F after the most recent storm. Somewhat heavy frost due to the higher humidity. Nothing seems bothered.

Highs have been in the 50s, and will return to the 70s shortly. No freezes expected for the current duration. 

also taking advantage of the snakeless colder weather the last few days to get out more. it has been really pleasant during the day. 

C587A197-F0E1-4BF0-843D-2574412BDDBB.thumb.jpeg.91a3bd3b961e7f38a19bec90b6c55101.jpeg

• Upvote 1

20201115_140738.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

35C/95F November 16, 2020

20201116_132020.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

83F at 4:47PM MST after reaching   ....96F around 2PM in Downtown Chandler. Most other neighborhood stations ranged between 91-94F across the East Valley around 3PM.  Local ( Municipal ) airport is still at 92F.

As i'd expected, Sky Harbor broke their daily record and recorded the latest 90F reading ( actually reached 92F ) of the year. May do it again tomorrow and/or on Wednesday. ( upper 80's forecast ) Highs don't pull back down to normal ( mid-70's ) until Saturday or Sunday. 

Only in 2020 would it seem normal for it to be in the 90s -in mid November-, while the " Operation Santa Claus " ( One of Phoenix's Holiday community fundraising operations ) jingle is on TV here, while a Cat. 5 Hurricane slams Central America... The second Major Hurricane to hit essentially the same area this month. 

• Like 2

Currently 72F here.  Supposed to go down into the high 50s or low 60s in the region tonight.  Relatively comfortable out now, but November has been pretty hot this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Another day, another notch in the " Crazy 2020 temperature records " 92F at Sky Harbor breaks the old daily record of 87F and ties with both 1934 and 2017 as the 2nd most 90s/90s+ highs for any year. 

Rest of the valley was similar.. Chandler Muni and Mesa Gateway both hit 90F while Downtown Chandler managed to click 98F briefly around 2PM before leveling off to the lower 90s the rest of the afternoon.. Would discount that reading except numerous other neighborhood Wx Stations around the East Valley ( ..Including out in San Tan Valley.. Much more open desert out there, and is normally one of the cooler parts of town -compared to neighborhoods closer to or inside the 202 Freeway loop. ) squeaked out readings in the 94-97F range  between 2-4PM this afternoon.

Tucson also hit 92F today, breaking their daily record, among others. 

Another day or two to add to this years' 90deg high total before things cool back to the 70s next week. Looking at some of the model runs today, possible we add a couple more 80s, for a day or two at least, around the end of the month/ start of December.. If  the forecast doesn't change before then of course. 

As warm ( Ok, hot, lol ) as it has been, nights still cool back to the 50s/low 60s.

Its pretty cold for 11pm here. The overnight low was supposed to be 53f and I’m at 52f already.

Westchase: 52f

St. Petersburg: ~62f

Nokomis: ~65f

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

3 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Its pretty cold for 11pm here. The overnight low was supposed to be 53f and I’m at 52f already.

Westchase: 52f

St. Petersburg: ~62f

Nokomis: ~65f

2:30am and we are back up to 58f in Westchase. :huh:

Here is a sample of some temps. this am at about 6:50 am .  Wednesday , Nov. 18 2020 .

Brooksville  , Daytona airport , and Deland .     NWS sites

Daytona was dropping fast last evening , but during the night , the wind went around to the NNE , and at 6 am was 67 .

Note the wind conditions .

The  Daytona beachside , and east of  I-95  was progressively  up to 2 deg. warmer .

Brooksville : Hudson.png

Daytona Airport.png

Deland.png

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

2:30am and we are back up to 58f in Westchase. :huh:

Strange night for sure. Temps plunged and bottomed at 51.4 at 12:30am, rose back up, then cooled off again. 

temp.png.4fc5acc6b3a116b1967273ba2a284e08.png

• Upvote 1

Here are a few readings from this morning in my area.  You can see the differences only a few miles can make.

SugarCane Station:

202011181550_SugarCaneOvernight.png

Lake Hollingsworth:

202011181550_LakeHollingsworthOvernight.png

Dixieland:

202011181550_DixielandOvernight.png

Lakeland-Linder International (KLAL):

202011181550_KLALOvernight.png

CODE Academy (East of Town) :

202011181550_CodeAcademyOvernight.png

Lakehouse:

202011181550_LakehouseOvernight.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

• 2 weeks later...

It’s currently 59f here in Westchase. The NW wind off the gulf is actually keeping this area quite a bit warmer than it otherwise would be. It’s rare that the gulf helps being 10 miles inland! The gulf seems to be moderating temperatures tonight out to about I-75, at which point all the stations I’m seeing on Wunderground are about 5f colder. Metro Orlando and Daytona are about 7-8f colder when they’re usually roughly on par with this area. 

Edited by RedRabbit

4 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It’s currently 59f here in Westchase. The NW wind off the gulf is actually keeping this area quite a bit warmer than it otherwise would be. It’s rare that the gulf helps being 10 miles inland! The gulf seems to be moderating temperatures tonight out to about I-75, at which point all the stations I’m seeing on Wunderground are about 5f colder. Metro Orlando and Daytona are about 7-8f colder when they’re usually roughly on par with this area. 

Water is definitely helping out.  Here, 47F out in the wide open yard, 51F in the coconut bed.  ~49 at the SugarCane and Hollingsworth stations.  A quick snapshot of the area shows nothing like the 59 you ended up with. Hopefully, you'll have similar help from the Gulf tonight!

image.png.5ffe7b9a981637e0e5039fc104c9dfb1.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Morning temps.  Lows this morning were dependent upon location location location.  Close to coastal waters no problem. 54F-56F    Inland a little you were 49-53F.   Away from the coast mostly mid- upper 40s.    I use a weather station that appears closest to me, that is sited similarly to me, which is basically out in the middle of the water of southern Tampa Bay.   As i suspected we stayed in the mid to upper 50's overnight.   My location and the station I use the data from the most. 

8am local station temps 2020-12-01 081949.png

Current 8 AM temp. 

8amtemp 2020-12-01 081532.png

This mornings low - 54.5F.  Note that the wind data is almost never correct for these PWS linked to wunderground.  Winds were 15-25 MPH all night last night with higher gusts. 

KFLSTPETE279 2020-12-01 081303.png

• Like 3

43F on Galveston Island, about 40F on the bay front, mid-upper 30s in town, 30-34 within the outer loop and I-10 corridor, mid-upper 20s in the outermost suburbs 

Warmest readings away from water are 37-38F in the central and SW Loop areas (Downtown, Midtown, Montrose, TMC, Museum District)

north.thumb.JPG.d9a405e7bd789a23e958b330b3dd312b.JPG

610.JPG.39da3cdd4711c192dd27aba33b4e8106.JPG

south.thumb.JPG.3906c39d80ab4aeee88e18248111dfbd.JPG

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Currently 60.4F along the Isabelle Canal. Low was 56.8F. The canal is at its end-of-season maximum depth and I am hoping it will moderate lows in the back yard jungle. Winds are quite brisk, though. Predicted low tomorrow is 42F.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Water is definitely helping out.  Here, 47F out in the wide open yard, 51F in the coconut bed.  ~49 at the SugarCane and Hollingsworth stations.  A quick snapshot of the area shows nothing like the 59 you ended up with. Hopefully, you'll have similar help from the Gulf tonight!

Eventually the wind shifted at 6:45am and the temperature fell off a cliff:

Untitled.png.82bdefb916dedb0105e66cd31e69c2ac.png

That's impressive your coconut bed stayed 51f. Nice work! That's going to make a huge difference on the coldest nights.

9 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Morning temps.  Lows this morning were dependent upon location location location.  Close to coastal waters no problem. 54F-56F    Inland a little you were 49-53F.   Away from the coast mostly mid- upper 40s.    I use a weather station that appears closest to me, that is sited similarly to me, which is basically out in the middle of the water of southern Tampa Bay.   As i suspected we stayed in the mid to upper 50's overnight.   My location and the station I use the data from the most. 

8am local station temps 2020-12-01 081949.png

You must have a great microclimate, possibly the best in all of St. Pete. 

• Like 2

High for the day did not reach 60F, even on the waters of southern Tampa Bay.  Tonight will be colder here. 

they are calling for upper 30's but i still am skeptical as my all time low on the water here in 3.5 years here was 37F. 

IMG_6136[778].PNG

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

Eventually the wind shifted at 6:45am and the temperature fell off a cliff:

Untitled.png.82bdefb916dedb0105e66cd31e69c2ac.png

That's impressive your coconut bed stayed 51f. Nice work! That's going to make a huge difference on the coldest nights.

You must have a great microclimate, possibly the best in all of St. Pete. 

I believe that its close to it yes.  Only thing better would be water front on the south facing side of a tall darker colored building I think.  Probably closer to 10B where Im at while most of the southern half or so of pinellas is a zone 10A. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I believe that its close to it yes.  Only thing better would be water front on the south facing side of a tall darker colored building I think.  Probably closer to 10B where Im at while most of the southern half or so of pinellas is a zone 10A. 

The Venetian Isles and Tropical Shores are probably competitive. They’ve got a lot more water to the north, but your further south, on a peninsula sticking out into Tampa Bay, and you’re next to 275 which all helps. On a cold night I wouldn’t be surprised if your house stays 10f warmer than my place in Kenwood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedRabbit said:

The Venetian Isles and Tropical Shores are probably competitive. They’ve got a lot more water to the north, but your further south, on a peninsula sticking out into Tampa Bay, and you’re next to 275 which all helps. On a cold night I wouldn’t be surprised if your house stays 10f warmer than my place in Kenwood.

Oh wow!  Howdy Neighbor!   You're only about 7-9 minutes from me.     Yes, you are about right.  The temp differences really show on the coldest nights and hottest days.   It can be 98 in inland pinellas and it is only 88-92F here at my place about 1 mile out into Tampa Bay.   The same is true on the cold nights in the warm direction.   If the wind is NNW, to N, or NNE it can cool it by a degree or two as its coming off of the Pinellas peninsula.  All other directions it comes across miles and miles of water.    Tonight I should see a decent difference, but we will see with the winds coming almost out of the due north and down the peninsula that I live on.    It is definitely a different world living out here in the water like this. The weather is substantially different than it is anywhere inland.  In any sort of windy weather, especially thunderstorms.  They are like mini hurricanes here with winds getting up to 60-80MPH at times.  Its almost ALWAYS windy here, rarely ever still, and its so dark at night.  So many stars.  It feels like you are in the country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Oh wow!  Howdy Neighbor!   You're only about 7-9 minutes from me.     

I wish we were neighbors, but we're not really. I live in Westchase, and have rental properties in Kenwood and Nokomis. I'm doing it for financial reasons, but multiple gardens is an added benefit. I've always loved St. Pete though and used to live on campus at USF in downtown. 

The temp differences really show on the coldest nights and hottest days.   It can be 98 in inland pinellas and it is only 88-92F here at my place about 1 mile out into Tampa Bay.   The same is true on the cold nights in the warm direction.   If the wind is NNW, to N, or NNE it can cool it by a degree or two as its coming off of the Pinellas peninsula.  All other directions it comes across miles and miles of water.    Tonight I should see a decent difference, but we will see with the winds coming almost out of the due north and down the peninsula that I live on.  

Have you thought about getting a Wunderground station? They're great and not that expensive. I'd sure be interested to know how your area does, it has a few unique influences that could render surprising results. 

Its almost ALWAYS windy here, rarely ever still, and its so dark at night.  So many stars.  It feels like you are in the country. 

Yep, going by the water is a great way to escape light pollution. Sanibel is the best place I've been for stargazing, it gets really dark there. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Current readings:

• Westchase - 42.3f
  • Kenwood - ~41f :hmm:
  • Nokomis - ~48f

3 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

I wish we were neighbors, but we're not really. I live in Westchase, and have rental properties in Kenwood and Nokomis. I'm doing it for financial reasons, but multiple gardens is an added benefit. I've always loved St. Pete though and used to live on campus at USF in downtown. 

Yeah, I do understand. Saint Pete is great and is probably one of the only places id truly love to live in the Tampa Bay area. 

5 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Have you thought about getting a Wunderground station? They're great and not that expensive. I'd sure be interested to know how your area does, it has a few unique influences that could render surprising results. 

I have actually, but never looked into it.   I was always under the impression that they were rather expensive?   Do you have a link? 

7 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

Yep, going by the water is a great way to escape light pollution. Sanibel is the best place I've been for stargazing, it gets really dark there. 

Yeah, its similar here.  countless stars at night and when we have launches or meteor showers its amazing!   Sanibel is probably darker because its off the coast and away from the more well lit areas / light pollution.   We have a mile  between us and mainland Pinellas, and 5 miles between me and central avenue / DTSP (downtown St. Pete. )

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

I have actually, but never looked into it.   I was always under the impression that they were rather expensive?   Do you have a link? 

I purchased a basic thermometer a few years ago that connects to Wunderground for $60. I think it was discontinued so I'm not sure what's available now that's comparable. 

• Like 1

5:50 AM lows. I think this is as cold as its going to get.  Once again Im sitting at 46F, which is far above the mid/ upper 30s forecast.    Here is a look at the temps across the greater Tampa Bay area.  Note the difference between the Pinellas peninsula and areas away from water / inland.   There is a good 5-12 degree difference between the warmest spots and coldest.   Def not a killer cold night for coastal areas.  

Screenshot12.2 TBareaLows 2020-12-02 054401.png

• Like 2

Put a few sensors out in the yard to see what they came up with.  Readings are between 37F and 40F.  There are a few stations in the area reading a little higher, but overall within a typical margin.  Warm spots were mostly the typical areas: Lake Hollingsworth (41) , SugarCane (40), ShoreAcres (41).  The airport recorded 39F.  That 31F reading in the NW corner - ouch.

image.png.bc0c165d7f9c32d5858d106b725d0a44.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Sitting at about 45° here in Eastern Pinellas.  Northern Pinellas and Tampa definitely are cool, but inland portions of W/SW Pinellas were also surprisingly cool IMO. Cold enough up by Dunedin and PH for some patchy frost.

3CBFA5C5-CEDD-4DAD-A050-314985ED4C2D.jpeg

7CBF2733-1D16-48E3-9D33-22C23CDD0859.jpeg

8E924F00-C2EF-4776-98B5-F7E7A217BAD8.jpeg

Edited by JJPalmer
  • Like 2

Currently 52.2F. Actual low this a.m. was 45.1F. Was predicted to be 41F. Tonight's predicted low = 50F

Was a full canal my saving grace? I don't know but I'm glad for it.

Meg

Florida

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Currently 52.2F. Actual low this a.m. was 45.1F. Was predicted to be 41F. Tonight's predicted low = 50F

Was a full canal my saving grace? I don't know but I'm glad for it.

I think you’re onto something. I live on a tidal canal and it seems that when high tide lines up with the coldest part of the morning, we stay warmer than predicted. When low tide is near the cold point, as happened last night/this morning, we seem to be less protected. My yard kissed 32 degrees this morning sometime before 6:45, when NOAA had predicted about 34-35. Conversely, we were down to 36 last night by about 10 PM, then the temp rose back to 38 around high tide and stayed there for a bit. 

• Like 2

Low temps this morning:

Westchase - 37.4f

Kenwood - ~37f

Nokomis - ~40f

Here in Westchase there was a lot of frost on rooftops, but none on the ground thankfully. Kenwood was disappointing and the wunderground station I track was colder than Westchase. This makes me curious if it’s 9b rather than 10a there, something I’ve been unsure of to date. Nokomis did okay, but it was a little cold from the east wind coming off the mainland.

My brother in Gainesville had 24f this morning. :bemused:

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

57F and sunny after hitting 41F low last night.  I was thinking it could be like Dec 14 2010 but that was radiational and much colder.  But 41F this early with a cool spell will cool the gulf water off early in the winter, and that is not good.  By comparison, Anna Maria island due west on the gulf only hit 48F and Ruskin 15 miles north close to bayfront tampa bay water hit 39F.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

53 minutes ago, jreich85 said:

I think you’re onto something. I live on a tidal canal and it seems that when high tide lines up with the coldest part of the morning, we stay warmer than predicted. When low tide is near the cold point, as happened last night/this morning, we seem to be less protected. My yard kissed 32 degrees this morning sometime before 6:45, when NOAA had predicted about 34-35. Conversely, we were down to 36 last night by about 10 PM, then the temp rose back to 38 around high tide and stayed there for a bit. 

I hope that's the case. My canal is freshwater so I don't have tidal issues. But the sun heats it during the day. Later in the winter when the depth falls because of lack of rain I may not have such good luck. I've learned during my 27 years here that winter's nadir in my 0.61 ac paradise occurs the week that includes January 10. After then average temps start to rise and arctic fronts start to weaken. Weird, but true. Just another 5 weeks and the light at the end of the tunnel is less likely to be a freight train.

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

Dec 2nd 

20201202_122121.thumb.jpg.f9cf6487121cc4ae8bb895cd2dceca7a.jpg

• Like 1

We had temps like that just last week.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida