IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Currently 87F at 9:22AM MST. Should top out at about 100-103F later on.. Weekend hope for rain was a complete bust, unless you lived on the far northwest side of the Valley, or out in the Sticks ( and spines ) down by Ajo.  Essentially, all that moisture from two tropical systems that moved north got shunted east much faster than anticipated, and timing issues around what storms formed busted pretty much every forecast each day.  Not a drop forecast for at least the next 10 days either.

Weekend ahead looks hot, possibly adding 2-3 more days at/above 110F, then forecast to cool back to the low 100s again after Monday. Lows warm from the few days of upper 70s/ low 80s we had but aren't currently expected to make a run back into the 90s again. Should fall back into the 70s/low 80s by next week.. California, Central Valley esp. looks HOT as we head into Labor Day and the first full week of September.  Bigger ( and highly welcomed ) cool down may occur around the 10th-12th.

As meteorological Summer comes to an end, here's how Phoenix shakes out.. While not quite as miserable ( if that is possible ), Hottest summer for Tucson also. 

Phoenix Summer 2020 stats:

Better break down of August stats..

Quick look at the main factors that contributed to this summers record heat.

Tucson...

While some parts of the area saw a bit more than the Airport itself, Sobering overall picture for Flagstaff, esp. with what is looking like a dry winter -region wide- ahead.

Still a few weeks left in Non-/Yawn-soon Season but highly doubt anyone is going to catch up.. Will be lucky if we see any moisture surges from the East Pac. either thru at least mid month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After a nice half inch of rain, it is really hot and steamy. Perfect example of Florida in late summer.

Temp 09012020.PNG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

No rain today, people who have never been to Florida in the summer time can see why it feels so uncomfortable, 80 degree dew point, instant sauna! But the palms love it!

Temp 09022020.PNG

• Like 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

2 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

No rain today, people who have never been to Florida in the summer time can see why it feels so uncomfortable, 80 degree dew point, instant sauna! But the palms love it!

Temp 09022020.PNG

You're not kidding - especially after 3 pretty decent days.  This is in the shade...

20200902_151530_WeatherStation.jpg

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My old and probably shouldnt even be used anymore weather station in my backyard reads a temp of 105 and a feels like of 127. Now do you get why it shouldnt be used anymore? lol

But yeah i believe the 105, but only as the feels like.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

95F with moderate humidity under mostly cloudy skies.  Feels like 103F.

I am ready for autumn for my own comfort, but the palm-obsessed part of me wishes it would just stay hot and rainy year-round, as this winter is going to be a pita with all the new tropical palms and other plants.  With such a lengthy warm/hot season here, it is easy to forget that November through March is not prime Cyrtostachys growing season.

96F here today.  Drove through north Tampa on my way to Palm Harbor.  The car thermometer was reading between 100F and 102F.  Not 100% accurate, but it was only 3 degrees high when I was driving through Lakeland.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Another day, same sizzle.. 111F after topping out at 113F here in Chandler about an hour ago.. 

Phoenix.. Day 51 above 110F w/ yet another record. BIG record for September..

Same for Tucson also ( new record set )

Looks like today should be the hottest for this weekend's heat here, though highs only drop by a degree or so until Monday.. Then...

Get Ready CA!! Same record breaking heat spreads west tomorrow and will likely break all sorts of daily/monthly and likely all time September records by Tuesday or Wednesday before....

As the saying goes, " Changes"  In the case of the middle of next week, Temps. crash across most of the west as a big trough originating up in Canada barrels it's way south through Colorado and New Mexico bringing quite an abrupt change with it. Very possible Denver goes from the 90's on Monday to ..maybe some snow.. by Wednesday. If that occurs, it will be one of the earliest first snowfalls on record for Denver. Possible snow flakes fly in the mountains of Northern New Mexico/ eastern N.M., possibly into the far western panhandle of Oklahoma, far N. Texas, and far western Kansas. Lows across the Plains/ Mid West will easily fall into the 40s for a few days afterwards.

Here, same trough should finally send the extreme heat packing.. Highs drop back to 104-106F Tuesday, mid/upper 90s -for a couple days- Wed thru Friday. Lows here should get knocked back into the 70s, possibly upper 60s in outskirt parts of town. 

While we return to the low 100s by next weekend, lows stay in the 70s. Then, another cool trough may be gearing up to descend south toward AZ from the Pac. N.W.  This one could push lows here into the 60s/ highs into the upper 80s-low 90s, and generate more potential snow in the Rockies, maybe into Utah..

Anticipated record heat in CA. backs off as well by later next week, but there is potential for the first offshore wind event of the fall across the region somewhere in the Tuesday-Thursday time frame in current forecast thinking.

As for Monsoon Season, yea, there's a couple weeks left -officially- but with the pattern ahead, calling this season well done..  Would be surprised if we see -anything- between now and the end of the month. Eh, Should at least be better weather for cutting up lots of wood now that the shadehouse has been dismantled.. Tis' the season of Changes ahead.. :greenthumb::winkie:

• Like 2

7:21PM PST Sep/4/2020

80F/27C

20200904_192039.jpg

15992725551247834673170403580974.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

81f/27.2c @ 11:21 pst 

This next (and possibly last) heat wave could potentially bring the hottest single day of the summer for me here in Hesperia, CA.  This Sunday we're expecting the temperature close to 108f/42.2c.

• Like 3

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Just now, James760 said:

81f/27.2c @ 11:21 pst 

This next (and possibly last) heat wave could potentially bring the hottest single day of the summer for me here in Hesperia, CA.  This Sunday we're expecting the temperature close to 108f/42.2c.

Batten down the hatches! 

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Batten down the hatches! 

Right! Lol B)

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

23 minutes ago, James760 said:

Right! Lol B)

Mist 'em if you can at night before the heatspell. 

No way to protect them during daytime.

11:56pm PST 9/4/2020 @ 25C

That speaks volumes of what's coming tomorrow!

Viel glück!

IMG-20200904-WA0168.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0175.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0172.jpeg

IMG-20200904-WA0176.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

87F at 10 to 8AM MST.. Feels hotter. On the way to another possible record.. 2 more days to go.

Some late reported records from around the area yesterday:

Flagstaff and Nor. AZ, Even by Arizona standards, that is very hot for the higher elevations, esp. in September.. Today is supposed to be similar up there..

Yep, even Reno..and South Lake T ( Tahoe )..

San Diego area.. Day #1

What the above area, Orange and L.A. are looking at for highs today/Sunday.. suggested 122F in Palm Springs would be pretty crazy for so late in the year.. Let alone any 110+ recorded today,  much closer to the coast. Rest of the state ( Cen. Valley esp.. ) just about as sizzlin' the next few days.. Water!  Water! Water!

No end in site for some beautiful weather up here.  Definitely a September to remember.

image.png.24d2b2b3e80b7ad71d8a8128c6e35c38.png

• Like 2

113F at 5:42PM MST after hitting 117F around 4PM.. So much for it being "cooler" here today, lol..

Day 52 above 110F in Phoenix.. Think this is day 18? above 115F so far this year also. ( High at Sky Harbor was 115F - for anyone who didn't see it posted in the "extreme heat warning" thread )

More records from today as they start trickling in: 

El Centro:

Yuma:

Today's records so far around San Diego/ other areas in their NWS region.

Other areas in S.D. county/ Orange Co. ** some on the list are mentioned above**  Los Angeles Co. and surrounding areas in their NWS region ( Below ).

Will add more later as #'s come in..

*** HOTTER tomorrow across most of CA***

More numbers from today..

S.F. Bay Area

Reno NWS

Salt Lake City NWS.. Gonna be QUITE a change coming in a few days.

Flagstaff/ Nor. AZ.

Tucson also broke their daily record w/ a high of 108F. Old record was 107F, Set in 1945.

Los Angeles NWS posted a link to a rundown of 100/100+ highs across pretty much all of S. Cal north of San Diego/Orange Counties.. VERY long list ( is broken down by region and includes Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, etc areas ) and some pretty Impressive numbers, esp. for recording stations on the Channel Islands/ Catalina.

Appears -at least as of now- no areas in the Central Valley, aside from Fresno, tied or broke any records today.. Kind of surprised. Fresno apparently tied their record high max of 105F, which was also set in 1984.

Tomorrow should be very interesting.. Much more of the state will see records shattered.

• Like 1

Darwin Airport topped 98f ( 36.7c ) today and this was combined with extreme fire danger, gusty south easterlies and very low humidity. The Sept average max is 91f ( 32.6c ). The Sept record is 99.9f  ( 37.7c ) back in 1983. Huge regions of northern Australia have broken August and Sept records ( early season heat ) this year. This sort of weather with the drying winds and low DP's/humidity is very trying in the tropical garden.
118797361_1276738999334206_3169654576502623976_n.jpg.70c13155404cfca027040b64ff5e294e.jpg

• Like 1

101F at 10:03AM MST.. Pretty typical start to a hot day in the Low Desert..

Not so typical?, Check out some of these readings ..as of 9:55AM across S. Cal. even where it is only in the mid/upper 70s right on the coast.  Pretty crazy..  Afternoon readings should be off the charts..

Even earlier, in the 9:15-9:30AM time frame, while doing some point and click temp checks across S. Cal/ up around the Bay Area, there were numerous spots that were as warm ..or MUCH warmer than the 92F deg reading here in Chandler -at the same time.. 

Stay out of the sun as much as possible, and keep everything in the garden hydrated.

Yesterday was a scorcher, 109 F.

Be safe and be hydrated.

118601502_3250994948311733_1987164783073

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just to turn the attention away from CA for just one minute... but Denver has a high of 100F forecast for Sunday, which is pretty darn hot for September there, but then it is only forecast to reach a high of 40F on Tuesday with snow and an overnight low of 28F!!! Just 48 hours later! Looks like a low of 32-33F on Monday night as well. A possible swing of 70F in 24 hours. :bemused:

I have never seen or heard of anything like that before. I get that the Rockies are high altitude and in the path of big continental air masses, both hot and cold, but that is ridiculous. Like that is the most drastic temperature swing that I have ever heard of. Is this normal for places in the Rockies, or is a temperature swing of that extent really quite unusual??? :hmm:

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 19.27.35.jpg

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

42 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

Just to turn the attention away from CA for just one minute... but Denver has a high of 100F forecast for Sunday, which is pretty darn hot for September there, but then it is only forecast to reach a high of 40F on Tuesday with snow and an overnight low of 28F!!! Just 48 hours later! Looks like a low of 32-33F on Monday night as well. A possible swing of 70F in 24 hours. :bemused:

I have never seen or heard of anything like that before. I get that the Rockies are high altitude and in the path of big continental air masses, both hot and cold, but that is ridiculous. Like that is the most drastic temperature swing that I have ever heard of. Is this normal for places in the Rockies, or is a temperature swing of that extent really quite unusual??? :hmm:

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 19.27.35.jpg

Yes.. While not always on this level, these sort of sharp temperature swings are common enough in this part of the country both in the Fall/Spring esp.

It's a weird experience too when you wake up and it is sticky and 72F and within 4 hours, it is 45F, dry, and windy.. Bottoming out at 23F w/freezing fog that night..  Can go the other way too.. And often brings lots of trouble in the form of Accumulating Ice when it occurs in winter..

Weirdest weather phenom. i think i have ever seen -anywhere- is a raging freezing rain/electrical storm.. Followed by heavy snow - and more ice.. Glad the nearest Grocery store was across a small vacant lot between it and my Apartment at that time.

10ft long ice cicles hanging from the roof of my building, and the rising sun shining through everything in view -completely covered in ice- was a spectacular sight to wake up to once the storm moved out though.. Trying to dig out my car, let alone get up and down the stairs of my apartment, not fun at all, lol..

3 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yes.. While not always on this level, these sort of sharp temperature swings are common enough in this part of the country both in the Fall/Spring esp.

It's a weird experience too when you wake up and it is sticky and 72F and within 4 hours, it is 45F, dry, and windy.. Bottoming out at 23F w/freezing fog that night..  Can go the other way too.. And often brings lots of trouble in the form of Accumulating Ice when it occurs in winter..

Weirdest weather phenom. i think i have ever seen -anywhere- is a raging freezing rain/electrical storm.. Followed by heavy snow - and more ice.. Glad the nearest Grocery store was across a small vacant lot between it and my Apartment at that time.

10ft long ice cicles hanging from the roof of my building, and the rising sun shining through everything in view -completely covered in ice- was a spectacular sight to wake up to once the storm moved out though.. Trying to dig out my car, let alone get up and down the stairs of my apartment, not fun at all, lol..

I can't even begin to comprehend that. I guess it's because I live on an island, where the weather is heavily moderated by the Atlantic ocean and thus mild year-round. We just don't see temperature swings like that. Not even close. I still can't wrap my head around it, although I understand how and why it happens in continental climates, especially at high elevations.

The highest temperature that London has seen for instance over the past 12 months is 38C several weeks back in late July. The lowest nighttime temperature was about 1.5C in January. A difference of 36-37C, recorded about 6 months apart. Denver on the other hand will see an even greater swing of around 40C, in the space of just 48 hours! I actually never knew that you could get temperature swings to that extent, in such a short amount of time. Maybe 30-35C, but not 40C swings within 48 hours. That's news to me. 

I'm surprised Denver will be experiencing it's first frost in early September as well. That seems very early. I don't think I have ever had a September frost here, at least not in my lifetime, and I am 12 degrees further north of the equator. My coldest September day still reached 11C and my coldest night was about 2C a few years back. So to see a high of 3C and a low of -2C in early September at 39N is pretty surprising to me. Especially when it is coming just 48 hours after a 38C high!!!

Although I obviously recognise that the Rockies are high elevation and in the path of arctic air masses from Canada. So it's a bit different. Still difficult to comprehend without actually experiencing it though. Like the 10 foot long icicles that you mention! :bemused: I don't think I have even seen a 1 foot icicle here...

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

47C

20200906_133441.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

I can't even begin to comprehend that. I guess it's because I live on an island, where the weather is heavily moderated by the Atlantic ocean and thus mild year-round. We just don't see temperature swings like that. Not even close. I still can't wrap my head around it, although I understand how and why it happens in continental climates, especially at high elevations.

The highest temperature that London has seen for instance over the past 12 months is 38C several weeks back in late July. The lowest nighttime temperature was about 1.5C in January. A difference of 36-37C, recorded about 6 months apart. Denver on the other hand will see an even greater swing of around 40C, in the space of just 48 hours! I actually never knew that you could get temperature swings to that extent, in such a short amount of time. Maybe 30-35C, but not 40C swings within 48 hours. That's news to me. 

I'm surprised Denver will be experiencing it's first frost in early September as well. That seems very early. I don't think I have ever had a September frost here, at least not in my lifetime, and I am 12 degrees further north of the equator. My coldest September day still reached 11C and my coldest night was about 2C a few years back. So to see a high of 3C and a low of -2C in early September at 39N is pretty surprising to me. Especially when it is coming just 48 hours after a 38C high!!!

Although I obviously recognise that the Rockies are high elevation and in the path of arctic air masses from Canada. So it's a bit different. Still difficult to comprehend without actually experiencing it though. Like the 10 foot long icicles that you mention! :bemused: I don't think I have even seen a 1 foot icicle here...

The U.S. Plains are one of the wildest places on earth -Weather wise-.  The -sometimes extreme- drops/rises in temps as air masses from Canada and the Arctic and Tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico ..and Mexico itself.. collide and slosh back and forth are one reason many plants some might consider tropical from Texas and/or N./N.E. Mexico can be grown far from where they originate.. It's also a big reason the seasons can de so dramatic there.

As far as the ice cicles.. yea, lol.. never saw anything like that until that storm.. Thinking part of the reason some got that long ( most others hanging off the roof were only 1-2ft in length. ) was the downspout/ gutter on that side of the building was clogged w/ debris that froze. Had moderate freezing rain for hours the first night.. then heavy wet snow and more ice the following day/night.. Could watch it accumulate on the wall along my stairwell/ on my patio. ( lived on the second story of my building at the time ) There was about 3" covering the wall before it got covered by snow.. then another inch of ice..  Was the worst ice storm to hit Eastern Kansas/Kansas City in quite some time.  Tore down quite a significant amount of trees across the region.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

47C

20200906_133441.jpg

:bemused: I take it that is the all time record where you are, Alex, or certainly since you started recording climatic data? Or have you seen hotter? 

Surprising that such heat is coming in September, rather than July/August. Given that the solar intensity is quite a bit less than it would have been 1-2 months ago. I know you have a seasonal lag in CA though, which is way more pronounced than in other Med climates. Obviously explains it. Crazy temperatures nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

47C

20200906_133441.jpg

Thats nuts for T.J.!  109F here.

This was posted about a half hour ago.. 120F, -in San Luis Obispo.. WOW!  Downtown L.A. was at 111F about an hour ago.  3 more deg. and they break their all time high.

Can hear other records shattering all over the place..

11 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

This was posted about a half hour ago.. 120F, -in San Luis Obispo.. WOW!  Downtown L.A. was at 111F about an hour ago.  3 more deg. and they break their all time high.

Incredible !!!

30 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

:bemused: I take it that is the all time record where you are, Alex, or certainly since you started recording climatic data? Or have you seen hotter? 

Surprising that such heat is coming in September, rather than July/August. Given that the solar intensity is quite a bit less than it would have been 1-2 months ago. I know you have a seasonal lag in CA though, which is way more pronounced than in other Med climates. Obviously explains it. Crazy temperatures nonetheless.

It's an all time record!

55 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Incredible !!!

First ( and likely the most significant -for the region- ) of many records to be posted later.. A chance this gets upped a degree later. ( station may have added a degree shortly after hitting this reading ) Crazy regardless.

55 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

It's an all time record!

So are you in Tijuana, Mexico? Or in the US still, but right on the border?

Either way it's world's apart compared to my weather, or anywhere else in Europe for that matter. I'm currently enduring my coldest start to a September since 1983. It's not cold, but it's not 'warm' either. I mean we only reached a high of 66F here on Sunday, although we should be back into the low 70's F again on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Pretty dry here again as well. Not really wet at all. Just mild with scattered clouds. Feels more like October temperatures than early September though. 

Given my own recent temperatures, I'm slightly envious of your 47C! :lol2:

48 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

First ( and likely the most significant -for the region- ) of many records to be posted later.. A chance this gets upped a degree later. ( station may have added a degree shortly after hitting this reading ) Crazy regardless.

I know the previous record highs for Los Angeles and San Diego were both set in September, due to the seasonal lag, but I'm still surprised that places are seeing 120F+ this late on in the year. Like you would expect that in July, maybe August too, due to the strength of the sun back then, but surely not in September, right? You would think the sunlight intensity would have dropped off a fair bit by then, limiting the extent to which days can heat up, even when a hot weather system is at play? Like you would think there wouldn't be enough sunlight intensity to heat things up to 120F+ in September, surely. Unlike July-August where inland desert regions can easily exceed that (due to the sunlight intensity back then). I guess today's temperatures disprove that sentiment though.

Do you guys actually notice a decline in the sun's intensity yet where you are? Like does the sunlight feel less intense now, compared to say 1-2 months ago? Is it even noticeable? Or do you not really notice a difference yet at your latitude? Here at 51N, I can definitely notice the decline in sunlight intensity. It's nowhere near as strong now, compared to June and July. Even during the mid-August heatwave, when I recorded 9 consecutive days above 35C and 7 consecutive days above 37C, the sun still didn't feel anywhere near as strong as it did back in late June / early July here. The sun intensity drops off very quickly at this latitude, from an average UV rating of 9 in late June/early July, to a UV rating of just 5 come early-mid September. A massive drop off, pretty early on here. 

I'm just wondering whether the sun/UV intensity drop off is WAY less pronounced at your latitude than it is here? Maybe there's really not much difference in the strength of the sun between July and September where you guys are...? Or do you actually notice that drop off in sun intensity/UV already? Like how pronounced is it? I'm curious to hear your opinions on the sunlight intensity where you guys are...?

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

So are you in Tijuana, Mexico? Or in the US still, but right on the border?

Either way it's world's apart compared to my weather, or anywhere else in Europe for that matter. I'm currently enduring my coldest start to a September since 1983. It's not cold, but it's not 'warm' either. I mean we only reached a high of 66F here on Sunday, although we should be back into the low 70's F again on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Pretty dry here again as well. Not really wet at all. Just mild with scattered clouds. Feels more like October temperatures than early September though. 

Given my own recent temperatures, I'm slightly envious of your 47C! :lol2:

I know the previous record highs for Los Angeles and San Diego were both set in September, due to the seasonal lag, but I'm still surprised that places are seeing 120F+ this late on in the year. Like you would expect that in July, maybe August too, due to the strength of the sun back then, but surely not in September, right? You would think the sunlight intensity would have dropped off a fair bit by then, limiting the extent to which days can heat up, even when a hot weather system is at play? Like you would think there wouldn't be enough sunlight intensity to heat things up to 120F+ in September, surely. Unlike July-August where inland desert regions can easily exceed that (due to the sunlight intensity back then). I guess today's temperatures disprove that sentiment though.

Do you guys actually notice a decline in the sun's intensity yet where you are? Like does the sunlight feel less intense now, compared to say 1-2 months ago? Is it even noticeable? Or do you not really notice a difference yet at your latitude? Here at 51N, I can definitely notice the decline in sunlight intensity. It's nowhere near as strong now, compared to June and July. Even during the mid-August heatwave, when I recorded 9 consecutive days above 35C and 7 consecutive days above 37C, the sun still didn't feel anywhere near as strong as it did back in late June / early July here. The sun intensity drops off very quickly at this latitude, from an average UV rating of 9 in late June/early July, to a UV rating of just 5 come early-mid September. A massive drop off, pretty early on here. 

I'm just wondering whether the sun/UV intensity drop off is WAY less pronounced at your latitude than it is here? Maybe there's really not much difference in the strength of the sun between July and September where you guys are...? Or do you actually notice that drop off in sun intensity/UV already? Like how pronounced is it? I'm curious to hear your opinions on the sunlight intensity where you guys are...?

While the September-early November time frame is considered the " hottest part of the year" for areas of CA. esp. closer to the coast, heat of this magnitude is practically unheard of -west of the deserts/ farthest inland valleys.. Both here and in the hottest parts of CA, anything above 115F would be more expected to occur during a heatwave in late June-  ..say mid- August.. Here, worst of the heat normally peaks just before our summer Monsoon season cranks up. Once that kicks in, the heat -would normally- start backing off.  That didn't happen this year and, like last year, the High pressure ridge that would normally bring rain -and temper the earlier summer heat, sat on top of us, or just wouldn't anchor itself in the right places to allow moisture to move north from Mexico.. Same thing occurred last year but this year, the heat really kicked in.

On top of that, over the last several years, the ridge itself has been getting stronger.. Anything above say 590mb is considered a hot and strong "ridge." Last few years, the summer subtropical ridge has been achieving "heights" of 597-605mb.. and over a wider area than had been observed in the past more often..  It is a trend many who are studying it say will likely intensify and expand.. thus, heatwaves like what we've seen here/ in CA will become more common A: Due to a stronger High pressure ridge, B: Due to that ridge sweeping away the marine layer, aka coastal CA's natural Air Conditioner.. Same pattern will also help continue to hike Sea Surface Temperatures, adding extra humidity/higher low temperatures to the mix during the summers out there. About a week or two ago, Scripps Pier ( in San Diego ) registered a record high SST temp of 79.5F. Had the last big heatwave hung around for a few more days, very possible someone would have clocked an official reading at/exceeding the magic 80F along the coast of Southern CA..

As far as sun intensity.. Our UV index can be just about as intense now as it was in July.. Yea, sun angle is lower ( one reason it hasn't been 120F+ every day thru August-until now/ Lows are backing away from the 90s ) but UV won't be noticeably lower until ..roughly the middle of next month.  Then again, even in November or Jan. If it is hot and dry, UV can get high, just maybe for an hour vs. several hours during the summer.

Another aspect of a stronger and more expansive High pressure area across the west during the summer months, Monsoon moisture storm events such as he "Lightning Siege" that caused all the fires across Central/Northern CA will also likely become a more commonly seen feature of the summer across the state ( Thunderstorm activity, outside the Deserts/Sierra is a very rare treat )..  Though still being debated, it is possible the typical "Monsoon season here shifts to the August-October time frame vs. the traditional time frame of July-September..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

This is madness, how did we ever survive without AC?;)

37 minutes ago, amh said:

This is madness, how did we ever survive without AC?;)

To quote King Leonidas himself...

4e31gt.jpg.cf83e8e26872f923ce9d8b301e854ad0.jpg

Wonder what Death Valley officially maxed out at today? Looks like they have 51-52C forecast for tomorrow... :bemused:

• Like 1

Record reports starting to trickle in...

San Fran. Bay Area: For those who know the area, Pinnacles Nat. Monument topped out at 117F, a record i believe.. Normally a hot part of the Central Coast/ extreme southern part of the NWS Bay Area region but 117F is pretty amazing -even for there-

Los Angeles /Santa Barbra/San Luis Obispo area:  Full list of the records will likely be posted later. ( There were  a lot )

Phoenix.. not quite as hot as yesterday, but another record. ( 113F. Beats 111F set in 2013 ).. Topped out at 113 F here in Chandler also.

Yuma/ El Centro, again..

Tucson..

Flagstaff/ Nor. AZ.

Sacramento/ Nor. Central Valley.. Looks like the extensive smoke from the Creek Fire kept most areas in the San Joaquin Valley from exceeding any records this time.

...More later.....

• Like 1

Los Angeles NWs area report. ( looks long, as expected ) While not considered *official* readings (Given WX station has to be active for 30 years to be counted as an official site apparently ) there were 3 122F readings recorded today- outside the deserts-.  Might have missed it looking over the data but Chino also topped 121F today.. That's TWO *OFFICIAL* readings ABOVE 120F ..WEST of the Deserts/ Mountains in S. Cal. on ONE day!

San Diego NWS Records for today: Full list, inc. record high lows recorded this morning across the area can be seen on their Facebook page. ( not sure why they didn't post the same graphic to their Twitter page.. )

Anaheim: 105F. Old record: 100, 2013                
Santa Ana: 110F. Old record: 103 in 1984  
San Diego: 100F. Old record: 97 in 2011
Oceanside Harbor: 85F. Old record: 83, in 2004 
Vista: 107F. Old record: 102, in 2004
Chula Vista: 102F. Old record: 97, in 2011
Riverside: 117F. Old record:  115, in 1955
Lake Elsinore: 117F. Old record: 114, in 1955
San Jacinto: 114F. Old record: 108, in 1988
Escondido: 115F. Old record: 104, in 1955
Ramona: 112F. Old record: 102, in 1983
Big Bear: 87F. Old record: 83, in 1982
Idyllwild: 104F. Old record: 92, in 2013
Palomar Mountain: 98F. Old record: 94, in 1955
Campo: 110F. Old record: 104, in 1955
Palm Springs: 120F. Old record: 114, in 1986
Thermal: 17F. Old record: 115, in 2008
Indio: 116F -tie- 116, in 2008
Borrego: 117F. Old record 115, in 1989

MUCH cooler near the coast tomorrow out there.. Everyone else cools down starting Tuesday.. That said, Off Shore " Santa Ana " type wind event look likely at the same time across CA so it might not cool off as much as it could...

**Quick correction, in the Bay Area's list, Santa Cruz was actually 104F today ( a record. Old record was 98F in 2004 ) not 102F. Wasn't corrected before the data was posted.

For @UK_Palms ..and others curious, Death Valley topped out at 122F today, a record.. Was 125F yesterday.. Also a record. Hard to believe either would be record highs there.

• Like 4

Had to wake up to take the pic 

20200907_024523.jpg

• Like 1

Woodland hills was a full ten degrees F hotter than La Habra. We had 111; they had 121.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we will be arriving in Hell shortly. Temperature 121 degrees, no wind. Have a nice day."

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/09/06/la-county-heat-wave-historic-record/

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.