IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Another very welcome and lengthy deluge today from 3pm or so and lasting for several hours at variable rates.  The high probably hit 90F-91F before the initial salvo of thunderstorms that swept in from the southwest dropped temperatures to a pleasant 74F-75F for the remainder of the day.  My favorite July weather pattern by far.  All the plants look greener, shinier and just generally healthier.  There is no doubt that tree ferns like the daily rains and cooler temperatures.

• Like 2

111F in Downtown Chandler at 5:00PM MST..  110-113F across most neighborhood stations in the area.  Stay in the same range tomorrow, Wheels come off ..and bust into flames over the weekend ahead..

Currently somewhat squashed High pressure area over the region rebounds like a rigid spring starting Friday sending 500mb heights over 600-605mb/dam overhead.. To put that in better context, A 588mb High is pretty strong, though typical each summer.. 591, stronger.. hotter..  Once you reach 598-600/ 600+ height range, that is extreme. Here in the desert, such extreme 500mb heights coincide with the most extreme heat events that can occur here. Current NWS ( PHX. ) forecast works out to:  113-115F Friday,  114-116F Sat.  115-118F Sunday,  back down to the 114-116F range on Monday, maybe next Tuesday also. We stay at/above 110F until next Thursday ( ..at the earliest ) btw. Already at day 14 of 110/ +110F highs for the year. 19 days is the current, yearly "Average" locally.  Well on-track to smash that this year..

Interesting thing about the current forecast?..  Model output currently guiding the weekend forecast may be a running few degrees "cooler" than what might actually occur.. At the extreme, some spots around the region may top out at or above 120F. Yesterday evening, the San Diego NWS even mentioned some model guidance suggesting potential highs exceeding 122F ( 123-125F were the numbers mentioned ) possible on either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday in the hottest parts of Imperial County < CA.> ( Lower Salton Sea, El Centro, Brawley areas ) Current forecast, issued by the Phoenix NWS tops out at 119F.. We'll see how the numbers come in..

Regardless, Excessive Heat Warning in effect from Friday until Monday across all of the Deserts in California, All non- mountainous parts of AZ.. Lows here may not fall below the low 90s both mornings, ..possibly Monday morning also.. Any extensive High Clouds overnight on either day could keep lows even warmer. Same idea if dew points are elevated also. 

Most of CA, outside the deserts/ southern end of the Central Valley, will likely miss out on the extreme stuff this time.. That said, keep an eye on the end of the month. Current forecasts move this High pressure area more toward the Central Plains/ Eastern States later next week, than it may re-organize itself over the Grate Basin/ Nevada ..at a similar 500mb height ( 597-600mb ) around the 24-26th.

As for any relief,  set up would be ideal, IF the high setting up wasn't so strong...  and centered right on top of the state.  500mb strength of this magnitude helps to create a hot, dry cap in the atmosphere. Any moisture that might sneak in from Mexico or up from the Gulf of California over the next 4 or 5 days won't be able to do much, except maybe up in the mountains, or close to the AZ/ Mex. border in Southern AZ.

Any hope for ..any.. rain looks to be at least a week away, and confidence in that is uncertain at the moment.. Models look better, but still quite variable and not putting a lot of faith in any guidance yet.

Latest date for the "official" Monsoon onset here is July 25th, and that has happened only once.. back in 1987..  Last year, Monsoon season kicked off on July 21st.. Started on the 8th in 2018 / July 9th in 2017.  Hopefully things get going by next weekend.. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

111F in Downtown Chandler at 5:00PM MST..  110-113F across most neighborhood stations in the area.  Stay in the same range tomorrow, Wheels come off ..and bust into flames over the weekend ahead..

Currently somewhat squashed High pressure area over the region rebounds like a rigid spring starting Friday sending 500mb heights over 600-605mb/dam overhead.. To put that in better context, A 588mb High is pretty strong, though typical each summer.. 591, stronger.. hotter..  Once you reach 598-600/ 600+ height range, that is extreme. Here in the desert, such extreme 500mb heights coincide with the most extreme heat events that can occur here. Current NWS ( PHX. ) forecast works out to:  113-115F Friday,  114-116F Sat.  115-118F Sunday,  back down to the 114-116F range on Monday, maybe next Tuesday also. We stay at/above 110F until next Thursday ( ..at the earliest ) btw. Already at day 14 of 110/ +110F highs for the year. 19 days is the current, yearly "Average" locally.  Well on-track to smash that this year..

Interesting thing about the current forecast?..  Model output currently guiding the weekend forecast may be a running few degrees "cooler" than what might actually occur.. At the extreme, some spots around the region may top out at or above 120F. Yesterday evening, the San Diego NWS even mentioned some model guidance suggesting potential highs exceeding 122F ( 123-125F were the numbers mentioned ) possible on either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday in the hottest parts of Imperial County < CA.> ( Lower Salton Sea, El Centro, Brawley areas ) Current forecast, issued by the Phoenix NWS tops out at 119F.. We'll see how the numbers come in..

Regardless, Excessive Heat Warning in effect from Friday until Monday across all of the Deserts in California, All non- mountainous parts of AZ.. Lows here may not fall below the low 90s both mornings, ..possibly Monday morning also.. Any extensive High Clouds overnight on either day could keep lows even warmer. Same idea if dew points are elevated also. 

Most of CA, outside the deserts/ southern end of the Central Valley, will likely miss out on the extreme stuff this time.. That said, keep an eye on the end of the month. Current forecasts move this High pressure area more toward the Central Plains/ Eastern States later next week, than it may re-organize itself over the Grate Basin/ Nevada ..at a similar 500mb height ( 597-600mb ) around the 24-26th.

As for any relief,  set up would be ideal, IF the high setting up wasn't so strong...  and centered right on top of the state.  500mb strength of this magnitude helps to create a hot, dry cap in the atmosphere. Any moisture that might sneak in from Mexico or up from the Gulf of California over the next 4 or 5 days won't be able to do much, except maybe up in the mountains, or close to the AZ/ Mex. border in Southern AZ.

Any hope for ..any.. rain looks to be at least a week away, and confidence in that is uncertain at the moment.. Models look better, but still quite variable and not putting a lot of faith in any guidance yet.

Latest date for the "official" Monsoon onset here is July 25th, and that has happened only once.. back in 1987..  Last year, Monsoon season kicked off on July 21st.. Started on the 8th in 2018 / July 9th in 2017.  Hopefully things get going by next weekend.. 

Just googled 125f, that's 51c, having spent quite a bit of time in our state's Pilbara region I can sympathise with you mate, there's nothing pleasant about temps like that, I don't enjoy it.

1 minute ago, sandgroper said:

Just googled 125f, that's 51c, having spent quite a bit of time in our state's Pilbara region I can sympathise with you mate, there's nothing pleasant about temps like that, I don't enjoy it.

:greenthumb:  We likely won't see highs get quite that hot here where i'm at, if they reach that high across the region over the weekend..  but even 111F+ ( 43.8C+ ) is too much, especially day after day..  Combine that heat w/ lows possibly not dropping below the 90s ( 32C ) and some extra moisture ( but not a drop of rain )in the air,  not great sleeping weather..   Just crossing my fingers this heat will finally kick start our Monsoon.. Usually does.  Temps get knocked down to around 100-104F ( 37-40C ) or so once we start seeing storms / Dew Points stay in the 50s/60s each day.  Regardless,  Not going to be missed at all once out of the desert, lol.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

^^I'm trying to imagine Marble Bar or Birdsville with populations exceeding 1.5million people..... haha.... why do ya's do it ?  lol^^

• Like 2

7 hours ago, greysrigging said:

^^I'm trying to imagine Marble Bar or Birdsville with populations exceeding 1.5million people..... haha.... why do ya's do it ?  lol^^

:lol:  To some degree, have wondered the same, especially all the people who move here from the Upper Midwestern states.. I get that they probably want to enjoy far nicer weather / more warmth than most places back there experience but.. plenty of other places which are warm ..but not sizzling and don't freeze solid during the winter..  Sure winters and Spring can be great, but.. A good %'age of people who live in/around Phoenix are transplants. Tucson is where you'll find more "real" Arizonians, ..or so i have been told numerous times. That is changing though and between the two cities, is the better place to live, even if it's somewhat smaller. 

As far as living in Yuma ..or places like El Centro, Brawley -or anywhere near the Salton Sea- out west in CA... Think the heat here can get bad?..  There's a reason Creosote Bush and some Cholla are about the only things you'll find growing out that way.. In some places, it gets too hot / is too dry for even those things to grow.. Sand Dunes out there are an interesting visit though. Dust in Yuma can be much worse than it is here due to proximity to nothing but bare desert between Yuma and the Gulf of California.

On a side note, this mornings forecast discussion from our local NWS is once again contemplating raising forecast temps by 1-3 deg. for the weekend.. ECMWF and it's ensembles suggest temperatures topping out in the 118-121F ( 47.7-49.4C ) range for Phoenix / across the area.  GFS / CMC and it's ensemble guidance keep temps in the 115-117F ( 46.1- 47.2C ) range. NBM (  National Blended Model ) guidance splits the difference, at least for the moment, siding with what the GFS/ CMC is suggesting..

Forthcoming torture, and perhaps a run at monthly.. and/or all time record highs ahead regardless, lol.

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

On a side note, this mornings forecast discussion from our local NWS is once again contemplating raising forecast temps by 1-3 deg. for the weekend.. ECMWF and it's ensembles suggest temperatures topping out in the 118-121F ( 47.7-49.4C ) range for Phoenix / across the area.  GFS / CMC and it's ensemble guidance keep temps in the 115-117F ( 46.1- 47.2C ) range. NBM (  National Blended Model ) guidance splits the difference, at least for the moment, siding with what the GFS/ CMC is suggesting..

Forthcoming torture, and perhaps a run at monthly.. and/or all time record highs ahead regardless, lol.

Some interesting stats to watch in Tucson for the weekend. Also keeping a close eye on Phoenix. Tucson managed to bottom out at 86F (30C) this morning. If they don't fall below that by midnight tonight, it will surpass the previous record high low of 85F, set in 1915.

Phoenix bottomed out at 90F, 2deg off the record ( 92F ) set in 2012 this morning. 

Saw both the Los Angeles and San Diego NWS expanded their Heat related watches/ advisories also.. Hot days ahead for all..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Some interesting stats to watch in Tucson for the weekend. Also keeping a close eye on Phoenix. Tucson managed to bottom out at 86F (30C) this morning. If they don't fall below that by midnight tonight, it will surpass the previous record high low of 85F, set in 1915.

Phoenix bottomed out at 90F, 2deg off the record ( 92F ) set in 2012 this morning. 

Saw both the Los Angeles and San Diego NWS expanded their Heat related watches/ advisories also.. Hot days ahead for all..

That is a little bit of difference between the two cities ? Must be the altitude I'm guessing ?

1 minute ago, greysrigging said:

That is a little bit of difference between the two cities ? Must be the altitude I'm guessing ?

Altitude plays a part.. as does just how large of a footprint each city leaves.. Phoenix sits in a wide, mostly flat alluvial valley. Mountains ( of any significance ) are further away and wouldn't really effect local weather much. From the far west end of the valley, to Apache Junction ( far east end of the Valley ) is about 53 miles.

Tucson on the other hand, sits in a much smaller valley and is bordered by significant mountains on two sides ( Catalinas = Northeast/ east,  Rincons = Southeast ) Lower hills to the west, and open desert / Desert Grassland/ Savannah, especially to the south... Which also tends to climb in elevation, and is punctured w/ numerous high-topped Mountain Sky Islands..  Catalina and Rincon Mtns can strongly influence temps ( Creating cooler, down sloping winds in the evenings, Act as a  focus for development of storms that eventually move off them, over Tucson itself this time of year ) It's about 9 miles from the base of the Tucson mountains ( west side of town ) to a friends place in neighborhood at the base of the Catalinas. Even from just west of downtown Tucson, it is only about 18.5 miles to the eastern section of Saguaro Nat Park/ base of the Rincon Mountains. I'd have to travel about 33 miles from my house to reach the Superstition Mountains to my east.. Near-er San Tan Mountains / South Mountain are too low / isolated to have any real influence on the climate here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Altitude plays a part.. as does just how large of a footprint each city leaves.. Phoenix sits in a wide, mostly flat alluvial valley. Mountains ( of any significance ) are further away and wouldn't really effect local weather much. From the far west end of the valley, to Apache Junction ( far east end of the Valley ) is about 53 miles.

Tucson on the other hand, sits in a much smaller valley and is bordered by significant mountains on two sides ( Catalinas = Northeast/ east,  Rincons = Southeast ) Lower hills to the west, and open desert / Desert Grassland/ Savannah, especially to the south... Which also tends to climb in elevation, and is punctured w/ numerous high-topped Mountain Sky Islands..  Catalina and Rincon Mtns can strongly influence temps ( Creating cooler, down sloping winds in the evenings, Act as a  focus for development of storms that eventually move off them, over Tucson itself this time of year ) It's about 9 miles from the base of the Tucson mountains ( west side of town ) to a friends place in neighborhood at the base of the Catalinas. Even from just west of downtown Tucson, it is only about 18.5 miles to the eastern section of Saguaro Nat Park/ base of the Rincon Mountains. I'd have to travel about 33 miles from my house to reach the Superstition Mountains to my east.. Near-er San Tan Mountains / South Mountain are too low / isolated to have any real influence on the climate here.

Using the brutally hot Pilbara region of Western Australia as an example, one of the more 'pleasant' climes is found at Tom Price, the highest altitude town in the state at 747m ( 2,450' ). The abandoned ( and toxic ) asbestos mining town of Wittenoom is about 80 miles north at 463m ( 1,519' ) and then Marble Bar another 173 miles to the north west and at 178m ( 584' ).
The climate stats for the 3 towns show the differences re both max and mins.  The dry adiabatic lapse rate re altitude  ( the rate of temperature decrease is 9.8 °C/km (5.38 °F per 1,000 ft) (3.0 °C/1,000 ft). The reverse occurs for a sinking parcel of air. ).
So us Aussie weather nerds use the rule of thumb of about 1c reduction per 100m of altitude for given locations. Doesn't take into account UHI and the like, but is otherwise fairly close to what is experienced on the ground.
Much of inland Australia is a plateau at modest altitude ( 400m-600m asl ) and this precludes some the isolated desert communities from the extremes such as recorded in parts of California and Arizona. Nearly all of our heat records are from low level and coastal locations. Even a city ( Penrith ) 25m asl just inland from Sydney hit an astonishing 48.9c ( 120f ) last summer, and on the same day the highland city of Katoomba 46klm ( 29 miles ) west at 1017m asl only recorded 38c ( 100f ) !
As you can imagine, the City of the Blue Mountains municipality is a sought after desirable living area, many older folk move up into the mountains to retire and escape the lowland coastal heat and humidity of the Sydney Basin. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A week of warm, humid weather with daily (though far from excessive) rain.  Then suddenly yesterday it was like we were back to the heatwave and dry spell that had preceded it.  Some of the cuttings I took at the beginning of the return to our rains suddenly wilted yesterday.  We did get some rain here this morning and right now it is mostly sunny and 90F.

Only 55 miles southwest of my esteemed colleague, @palmsOrl, we had a pleasant day at 90F and a perpetual breeze after a nice, soaking rain.  Just goes to show you how much can change in such a small distance here in the Sunshine State.  Today, overcast with an earlier shower and a high of 92F.  Both days below our average of 94F for July and thankfully much lower than that ridiculous heat the previous two weeks.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Well, we are currently sitting at a rain-cooled 79F (surprisingly not cooler considering the last hour of heavy rain and storms).  

After getting a bit of rain this morning, we kept getting skunked at my location again and again this afternoon as storms would pop up and move just east or west of me.  Fortunately, there was abundant moisture and instability left in the atmosphere sufficient to fire up this training line of storms lined up and moving right over me as they continue to slide southeast.

209796221_Screenshot_2020-07-10-22-22-302.thumb.png.ea16217bc96e29542be8e1b80989938d.png

I think this next photo conveys the overall "zeitgeist" of the evening, if you will.

20200710_222722.thumb.jpg.ce356bf236256f47286ef93bfee4ee27.jpg

• Like 3

9:41AM MST and already 102F + across the area, with several neighborhood stations already in the 105-107F range.. Today is " ...Pick your number Sunday "  as far as just how hot it gets this afternoon.. Phoenix NWS point and click forecast suggests 117F,  W.U. for Chandler suggests 115F.. News last night forecast 118F.. So, we'll see.. Kind of hoping for 120F ..i mean, if you're gonna make a run for it, why not just knock it down, right?..

Yesterday, highs topped out at 115 both in Phoenix and at the Airport/ Downtown Chandler. Neighborhood stations closest to the house reached 116F around 5PM. Most others around the East Valley ranged between 113-117F. Only one topped out at 120F.

Phoenix managed to smash the 2010 record low of 91F with yesterday mornings 94F.. Did it again again today with a low of 93F ( old record is also 91F )..  With an average temperature of 104.5F so far this year,  we are tied 8th hottest summer ever for the area. Record goes back to 1895. Also  ranked #6 with 4 days of consecutive days of lows 90 or 90+ Record streak is 7 days, set in August of 2012.

As hot as it was, some real signs of change as we finally saw storms bubble up in the mountains north and east of the Valley, and down south. As nice as the Satellite looked close to sunset, Atmospheric profile over the lower deserts was quite hostile and any storms ( one actually.. ) that managed to survive the trip " down the mountains " didn't get very far into the Valley itself.

That said, First big storms of the season made their presence known across Tucson and areas south of there. Numerous reports of minor damage, Power lines /poles down / brief power outages ( Sierra Vista area ) and some good rains.. Same strongly " Capped " atmosphere overhead kept what was left of those storms.. and any debris clouds from them.. from reaching Phoenix. 

Similar set up today so we'll see if we can get anything to pop here.  May finally see an uptick in humidity/ storm chances as we go through the upcoming week. Temperatures slowly trend back to around the 108-110F range after tomorrow ( 114F forecast here ) That said, hints of another "Nuke Fest" already showing up in some model runs toward the end of the month..

From the looks of the 00z GFS last night,  California could get in on the Torch Fest this time around, all the way to the coast.. San Diego and Los Angeles areas may also get a few sprinkles / mountain storms going as well next week / weekend..

Will update later with today's numbers..

• Like 2

A pretty bleak winters day here, lot's of rain and currently sitting on 17c. I'll take the rain any day but I can do without the low temps.

11 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

9:41AM MST and already 102F + across the area, with several neighborhood stations already in the 105-107F range.. Today is " ...Pick your number Sunday "  as far as just how hot it gets this afternoon.. Phoenix NWS point and click forecast suggests 117F,  W.U. for Chandler suggests 115F.. News last night forecast 118F.. So, we'll see.. Kind of hoping for 120F ..i mean, if you're gonna make a run for it, why not just knock it down, right?..

Will update later with today's numbers..

As anticipated, a record breaker across the area today.. Held off posting an update until all updates to numbers observed across the region were in for the day..

Daily records observed today are as follows:
Phoenix: 116F, beating the old record of 115F, set in 2009.
Tucson: 113F, beating the old record of 110, set in 2005.

California..
Per the San Diego NWS:
Palm Springs: 121F beating the record of 120F, set in 1985.
Borrego: 119F, beating the old record of 116F, set in 1976.
Campo: 107F, beating the old record of 102, set in 1983
Ramona: 100F beating the old record of 99F, set in 1999.

Los Angeles County NWS:
Lancaster, at Fox Field: 108F, beating the old record of 107F, set in 2002, 1964,1961, and 1953.
Sanberg, up in the N.W. L.A. County Mountains: 98F, beating the old record of 96F, set in 1994, and 1972.

Didn't see any other records listed across the area.

Depending on who you chose as your source, Chandler reached 115F both at the Airport, and Downtown.. Local News listed 118F for Chandler's high, Not sure where they got their data but the closest neighborhood station to the house was reading 118F most of the afternoon. A few more 119-121F readings on other neighborhood stations across the entire Valley / east side of town, but most stations i looked over stayed within about the same range as yesterday, approx. 113-117F.  Currently 101F downtown ( Chandler ) 106F at the airport here, but thinking their reading is off.. Most neighborhood stations close by are in the 101-103F range. 107F in Phoenix atm.

As for rain chances,  ..Got clos-er..   A few hot breezes atm but what storms managed to work their way up here from Tucson collapsed about 25miles south of the house. Once again, Tucson got some rain.. More on the west side of town though today.

Tomorrow looks a little more favorable across the area, thanks to a forecast Gulf Surge currently working its way up the Gulf towards Yuma. should help re-moisten the atmosphere, and create a better overall  profile for storm development. Strong High responsible for the weekends nuke fest also wanders off toward the east, opening the door for better moisture to return from Mexico and Texas. As it moves away, temperatures in the atmosphere cool, which reduces the inhibiting factor when potential storms form, if the do. 

Overall, the pattern for next week continues to show signs of  better rain chances.. we'll see..  Definitely need it. despite the big storms Tucson saw yesterday ..and today, Lightning sparked a few new fires down there. Really need a region-wide soaking, and a few days of upper 50 to mid-60deg dew Points to end our Fire season. 

Regardless, more signs things may be headed in the right direction.. Decent Sunset too..DSC08943.JPG.3afa8c5cb60153334fa03abf92a3904a.JPG

DSC08946.JPG.98a188c5d27d1dd74454d6a5de0c14d5.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Here it was 22C at 6:00am this morning, followed by dry very windy day.

84F as of 11pm and now artificially muggy to boot in my garden thanks to copious misting and watering.

The past two days have been mid-90s for highs, sunny and dry and tomorrow morning's low temperature is supposed to be close to 80F.  Higher rain chances are in the forecast starting tomorrow with a good chance for rain and storms each day by the end of the week.

Despite lots of clouds from a remnant MCV.. That kind of looked like a mini- tropical storm, -clear eye included-, both on satellite and radar this morning as it slowly crept north from Nogales,  Another sizzlin' day,  complete w/ moe' sizzlin records..  Phoenix tied both their record morning low ( 93F ) and the day's record high ( 114F ) ..were now tied 2nd place in regards to longest stretch of 90/90+ morning lows in a row.. Could tie the most days ever tomorrow. Also up to 10 days straight of 110/110+ highs.. Record is 18 days.   Almost smashed the all time morning low as a push dry air raised the temp at the Airport to 106F around Midnight, and it was still 97F right as the sun rose..

Slow cooling trend starts tomorrow.. and Finally, some really good signs for rain across most of the state in the extended forecasts.. Bring- It- On!!!
814prcp.new.gif

• Upvote 2

Well that looks encouraging for at least a trend toward precipitation chances around the normal range for Central Florida.

• Like 1

It's currently 12c at 12.30pm, one of the coldest days I can remember, raining, dark and just unpleasant. Looking forward to spring already!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Slow cooling trend starts tomorrow.. and Finally, some really good signs for rain across most of the state in the extended forecasts.. Bring- It- On!!!
814prcp.new.gif

On 7/14/2020 at 6:30 AM, palmsOrl said:

Well that looks encouraging for at least a trend toward precipitation chances around the normal range for Central Florida.

Well then, :lol: i guess this link was direct enough that the map will change daily, Notice the issue  date  -compared to when i posted on the 13th.:hmm:   Thought it was like a screen capture of what it had suggested going forward, that day.  Guess i'll just come here to check updates, rather than go to the CPC. LOL!!  

As you can see, rain potential has been pushed back, and lessened a bit in "today's" update.. Grr!

1 hour ago, sandgroper said:

It's currently 12c at 12.30pm, one of the coldest days I can remember, raining, dark and just unpleasant. Looking forward to spring already!

My son has just come home ( to Darwin ) after 4 months in Koolyanobbing. He is complaining non stop about the cold there and then also in Perth where he was forced to quarantine on his R'n'R.
He has badly burned and chapped lips from the cold dry winds.... 
I told him about the bushies trick to cure cracked lips...
"What's that Dad ?"
"Catch a Dingo and kiss it on the a**e.... guarantee you wont lick your lips again....."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greysrigging said:

My son has just come home ( to Darwin ) after 4 months in Koolyanobbing. He is complaining non stop about the cold there and then also in Perth where he was forced to quarantine on his R'n'R.
He has badly burned and chapped lips from the cold dry winds.... 
I told him about the bushies trick to cure cracked lips...
"What's that Dad ?"
"Catch a Dingo and kiss it on the a**e.... guarantee you wont lick your lips again....."

Mate it has been really cold, much colder than last winter, we are getting some decent rain but the temps have been bloody horrible.

Currently at 29C / 85F right now after enduring several ‘cool’ weeks of highs in the 70-75F range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

It is 97°F (36°C) out with a dew point of 74, thunderstorms should be coming this afternoon and we’ll hopefully cool down a lot. The “dog days” of summer are starting! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typo Correction
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

86°F (30°C) with a dew point of 74°F (23°C) and a heat index of 94°F (34°C) and it’s not even 9:30 AM yet.

LaGuardia Airport in NYC had a low of 80°F (27°C), happens roughly 1-2 times per year on average.

• Upvote 1

86F here as of 10am.  We are not far off from the half way point of the rainy season and so far it has been overall inconsistent and totals have been well below average.  This regime has continued since the last time I posted and the forecasters continue to lower rain chances at the last minute a day or two ahead of time then forecast 50-70% chances for the 3-7 day period, then each day, these high chances again move to the future and the same day and next day chances are lowered to slight or even none, and so on....

The good news is, I have access to all the municipal water I could ever need and so I just keep on watering day after day.  I actually think the ritual of doing so is peaceful and watering during abnormally dry periods is second nature to me, as a longtime resident of Central Florida.

Perhaps Adeniums were the right direction in which to move and tree ferns were not.  Nonetheless, haven't lost a single one of either yet.  The tree ferns just spent a week indoors out of the heat and then one developed a bit of rot near the base.  On a hunch that this infection might be controlled by a temperature increase, I put them all back outside and the fungus on the one appears to have subsided.  I did hit it with some propiconazole last night for good measure, since I already had some out for use.  I think it just takes individual attention and care over time to nurse a sick plant to health.  Now, a palm seedling with root rot on the other hand, I couldn't save with all Phyton 27 on earth (based on past experience) and all the radioactive waste at Chernobyl.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

The good news is, I have access to all the municipal water I could ever need and so I just keep on watering day after day.  I actually think the ritual of doing so is peaceful and watering during abnormally dry periods is second nature to me, as a longtime resident of Central Florida.

With the low rainfall is there any chance municipal water use will become restricted?

• Upvote 1

Yes there is tropicbreeze.  I can remember a number of occasions during which my area was under water restrictions of various degrees.  If the Orlando area does not see a return to a normal summer monsoon pattern within a couple weeks, I could see this happening.  Then I would have to find out the exact guidelines and rules and find a way to get the plants just enough water while following the guidelines.  Most of the in-ground stuff and the lawn would be the first to take a watering cut.

• Upvote 1

11:17pm PST.  July/19/2020

A complete departure from the official weather report based off of local airports. 

20200719_231702.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

85°F (29°C) with a dew point of 80°F (27°C) this morning, heat index of 99°F (37°C).

It’s 8:30 in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9.1C at 7.20 am going for a semi cloudy day of 19C. Much better than the minus 2.5C I got on July 12th. Oh the pain of that day is still sinking in. Brown is the new green. :crying:

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

49 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

9.1C at 7.20 am going for a semi cloudy day of 19C. Much better than the minus 2.5C I got on July 12th. Oh the pain of that day is still sinking in. Brown is the new green. :crying:

I just had a re read of @Mohsen thread re a disastrous frost in Thornleigh ( north western suburb of Sydney ) 2 winters ago. The damage is stunning....mature palms killed/burnt many meters above the ground. Goodness knows what his grass temp bottomed out at !
Its the cold snap out the ordinary that takes us all by surprise.....

• Upvote 1

Currently 101F. Seems we get a little break from the 110s and even 100s briefly as the week progresses. That will be used as an advantage to get out in the garden more.

Interesting things happening in the sky, albeit the only thing forecast is dry lightning. I love this time of year. It’s nice to see clouds and sky activity, as well as getting a break from the blistering sun. Hoping to get a few monsoonal swells this season. Last year we get skipped, but we will get what we get. :interesting: I’ve seen it “raining” in a few places today, but it has yet to reach the ground. Not sure the actual term, but we call it “ghost rain”. We will see. 

9D0D4D6B-6C4E-4532-B635-F06F16A3C86D.thumb.jpeg.fee0d5e2fd7c616dc9ee8322da3ba84e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3