IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

90° for the high today. Highs will stay above 80° into October. Tommorow will be 90°+. Hopefully this lasts past mid October.

• Upvote 2

Currently 65F which will be the high for today. The days are really starting to cool down now at 51N due to the lower sun intensity and longer nights. Even with a warm front from North Africa moving through, combined with clear sunny days... it is still pretty much impossible for us to heat up beyond 75-80F now at this time of year, due to the lack of sun intensity.

The cool, wet Atlantic air-masses are starting to take precedent as well, keeping it cool here during the day. But they also keep us warmer and more mild at night, preventing clear skies which allow the temperature to plummet. But these weather systems bring wet, stormy, mild weather which is hardly ideal. 

@Nj Palms The one benefit of being at 40N for you is that the sun is still quite strong at this time of year at that latitude, allowing your days to heat up quite a bit still. Whereas the sun here has lost a lot of its strength/intensity, this far north. Our nights are also lengthening more rapidly now this far north, meaning less sunlight in general. We're down to 11 hours of sunlight a day, compared to your 12. That extra hour can make a massive difference when it comes to solar heating. And we'll be dropping to 10 hours of daylight in less than a fortnight. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

46f and pouring rain. The jet stream has pushed way down into California so we’ve been 15-20f below norms for the last month. We went from 85f and sunny one day to early winter temps the next. No end on sight so I’m hoping this is not a repeat of 3 years ago. Timberline lodge up on Mount Hood got 3” of snow yesterday and more in the forecast today! That’s only 1 hour from my house - scary stuff.  

78°F tommorow and Wednesday will be 94° one last ninety degree day of the season. Parts of Northwest already getting first frost. Hoping for a late one here.

20C/ 68F at 5:50pm pst Monday, Sept 30th

They are calling for warmer weather come mid-week.

15698912519508787442675427851319.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Today is the last day of summer it seems with mid 90s. 10 day shows mid to high 70s for the remainder of the forecast.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Already in the 80’s with a dew point in the 70’s....at 9:45 AM....in October....in New York. 

Supposed to make a run at 90 today. I really love this, I really belong somewhere where this is normal October weather.

• Like 1

2200 and still 85F. If this could last the next few months til spring that'd be great!

• Like 1

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

It's only 81F right now, but it's supposed to reach 98F today.  Some far inland areas of VA are forecast to reach 101F.  Fortunately, temps are forecast to be in the 70s-80s for the next week.  This heat is not helping the drought conditions, but it's not as bad here as areas farther inland.  We could certainly use some rain here in the Southeast.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?Southeast

• Upvote 1

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

She's been a very chilly week for the overnight lows here in NorCal. 39.2° dip on Wednesday morning. Brrr... Way too early for that. Thankfully we are back to high 80's - low 90's come the weekend. Then long range has us warmer and drier heading into mid fall.

• Like 1

95°F yesterday, 50’s and mist today. :rant:

Hottest October day on record coming off the heals of the driest September on record. Flash drought conditions here causing a lot of trees to lose leaves over a month early, we need rain very badly.

Edited by cm05

Cold, wet and very stormy today with a strong front expected to hit mid afternoon. Heading for a top of 22c.

0015 and 71F and muggy as hell!

11 hours ago, SEVA said:

Since the link/map will eventually update, this might be helpful.

Capture+_2019-10-03-12-38-40~3.png

Yeah I'd say the entire east coast is under a drought, but I can only speak for the DMV for certain.

I have a demolition job out on the VRD ( Victoria River Downs ) of the Northern Territory starting Monday. Not looking forward to it.... lol !

TIMBER CREEK 7-DAY WEATHER FORECAST

Summary Fri
Oct 4
Sat
Oct 5
Sun
Oct 6
Mon
Oct 7
Tue
Oct 8
Wed
Oct 9
Thu
Oct 10

Mostly sunny

Sunny

Mostly sunny

Sunny

Sunny

Mostly sunny

Sunny
Maximum 39°C 39°C 38°C 39°C 40°C 40°C 41°C
Minimum 24°C 24°C 24°C 24°C 24°C 25°C 25°C

18 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

I have a demolition job out on the VRD ( Victoria River Downs ) of the Northern Territory starting Monday. Not looking forward to it.... lol !

TIMBER CREEK 7-DAY WEATHER FORECAST

Summary Fri
Oct 4
Sat
Oct 5
Sun
Oct 6
Mon
Oct 7
Tue
Oct 8
Wed
Oct 9
Thu
Oct 10

Mostly sunny

Sunny

Mostly sunny

Sunny

Sunny

Mostly sunny

Sunny
Maximum 39°C 39°C 38°C 39°C 40°C 40°C 41°C
Minimum 24°C 24°C 24°C 24°C 24°C 25°C 25°C

I've been there many years ago! 

32 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

I've been there many years ago! 

Yeah.... nice little town ( if you like remote Outback bush places... ) Some of the best fishing ( Barramundi ) in Australia on the Victoria River. The rods and yabby pots are packed....20190901_112151.thumb.jpg.4930d46eec9dc373c260fa42eb3ffa16.jpg
This is one of the bridges to demolish
20190901_122951.thumb.jpg.2adebb9ec84c830df3b97f541e6f5c3b.jpg20190901_123552.thumb.jpg.eadb6495e7ded64aabc7bb35d0184a1b.jpg
And +40c temps for the next 2 months.... !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah I'd say the entire east coast is under a drought, but I can only speak for the DMV for certain.

DMV? Like the delmarva peninsula?

And yes it looks like parts of the Northeast are under drought conditions as well, especially towards the southern end of the region.

Capture+_2019-10-04-08-14-05~3.png

AHS Heat Zone 7

DMV = Delaware Maryland Virginia. Delmarva is a separate beast all together.

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Interesting. Must be a regional/state difference.  Down here, DMV = Department of Motor Vehicles or Division of Motor Vehicles (NC).  The only time I hear folks lump the 3 states together is when referencing the delmarva peninsula. Then again, I'm more familiar with southeast/southern VA and northeast NC.

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I always thought DMV was just the DC area (DC, MD, VA).

5 hours ago, SEVA said:

Interesting. Must be a regional/state difference.  Down here, DMV = Department of Motor Vehicles or Division of Motor Vehicles (NC).  The only time I hear folks lump the 3 states together is when referencing the delmarva peninsula. Then again, I'm more familiar with southeast/southern VA and northeast NC.

Yep. Same here in CA DMV/Department of Motor Vehicles

On 10/5/2019 at 8:25 AM, SEVA said:

Makes sense. I never call Delmarva DMV as it's already short enough and very specific. 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, cm05 said:

I always thought DMV was just the DC area (DC, MD, VA).

You may be right, I just don't lump DC in because of cultural differences. At least the southern 2 counties in Delaware are culturally similar to Eastern Shore MD and VA whereas DC is its on little cultural enclave (add in Fairfax County, Montgomery County etc).

On 10/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, NorCalKing said:

Yep. Same here in CA DMV/Department of Motor Vehicles

We call ours MVA every state has their own name and yes there are a handful that have DMV as the acronym. But yes DMV can be synonymous to MVA here too.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Looking like mid-80s with ~80% chance of rain until Friday at this point.  It's hard to believe that after we got so much rain this summer that we were begging for rain again.  Definitely my favorite time of year in Central FL.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It was 84F yesterday and even had a brief little rain shower.  It wasn't enough to even wet the leaves though.  Was completely dry within about 5 minutes after it ended.  Low 70s today with a 40% chance of rain.  Maybe we'll get some measurable rain today.  Tomorrow is the last chance of rain I see this week with only a 30% chance.

AHS Heat Zone 7

I usually prefer the sunshine, but it's finally raining.  Probably can't tell, but it is a light rain.  Had to stop to take this pic as I was taking my car to the shop this morning.  Car said it was 70 degrees.

1008191039a.jpg

AHS Heat Zone 7

After upper 90s to start the week, mid 80s / lower-mid 50s on the way by Thursday and into the weekend. :greenthumb:

Looks like today should be the last 95+ day for the rest of the year as well ( :greenthumb::greenthumb: ). For now, no rain forecast but keeping an eye on the forecast for mid / later next week.. there's least an opportunity for precip. showing up on the model runs today.  Also keeping an eye on what happens with a West Pac. Typhoon that may recurve up over the N. Pacific and really amplify the jet stream over the west 12-15 days from now.  

Monthly update of the CPC's NMME model data ( going out to May ) was released yesterday.. Lots of interesting things ( and some big contrasts for CA and AZ winter  precip chances, compared to last month) on the temp / precip maps for the US in the months ahead.  

Got to 23C/ 73F today. First decently warm day of the spring. A. cunninghamiana is slowly pushing out first spear of the spring, this might speed it up.

• Like 2

66F currently and feels like mid to late fall.....not ready for this.

Currently 63°F here at 7:58 PM, it feels so much cooler than it was just a week ago. Here is my forecast for the rest of this week. Its cool now, that's for sure! 

SmartSelect_20191009-195637_Weather.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

It rose to 35c today.

But since 7am this morning our humidity has been 1% or lower...

As I walked towards the bathroom at around dawn, I took a peeksie at the thermometer. We were at 16C/1% RH.

20191011_142610.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

20191011_150412.jpg

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

1%?  I can't even fathom what a humidity at that level feels like.

:blush: at 9:45pm we're back at 34%

• Upvote 1

Had to get up at midnight for this: 

15708652425664325601134736472969.jpg

Reached 83F today. It was nice after having these low 70s temps.  Still dry and the humidity was pretty low at 34%.  Back in the 70s tomorrow with a 70% chance of rain.  The rain we received earlier in the week was minimal.  The drought has worsened and the governor has issued a statewide drought watch advisory.

AHS Heat Zone 7