IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

63F and very windy here, storms will be rolling in overnight bringing heavy rains.

I haven’t really had to much hand watering so far this year, rainfall has been consistent.

Almost... but did not officially reached 100F at Sky Harbor where the valley's official temperature is taken. Regardless, most stations in the neighborhood topped 100F by about 2pm today. As of 8:20pm, still in the mid / upper 80s with scattered low 90s around town. Quite the warm up since Tuesday / Wed.  when it we only reached 80-82F in the warmer parts of the area, ..even had a few sprinkles.  Supposed to trend back into the mid 80s by Sunday, thru about Wednesday, then maybe another run at the upper 90s / 100F by next Friday. That could change though.  While later compared to last year,  average date for Sky Harbor / Phoenix' first 100F is May 2nd.  ..Lets keep pushing it back, lol.

On a side note, ( had to laugh at this ) i saw Accuweather released their summer temp forecast. Suggesting our area might trend near to slightly below average thru July..  At the same time, their extended forecast was suggesting a run up into the 110-113F for mid June last night, before dialing back to the 106-109F range for the same time when i looked again this morning.. which is still about 2-4 deg above the current 30 yr. average.   While i take anything *long range* with a pinch or two of salt, i'd be shocked ( ..and happier, lol ) if indeed we got through this summer w/ out any 2017 style nuke fests.  Latest checks on other long range stuff is still a toss up regarding our summer rain potential..  For all i'm concerned, ..let it pour, and stay in the low / mid 80s, until late September from San Diego / L.A. to El Paso..

Just clocked 84F here, in the shade. And the temperature is still rising. 

This is the driest I have ever seen it in April. So far I have only registered 0.3 inches of rain for the month and no rain at all in the past 11 days. Very worrying indeed, as we have had droughts from May - July in recent years. But it has never been this dry, this early on, in April. The stream at the back of my garden and the streams in the woods are gone. Not a drop of water left in them.

My Trachycarpus Nova's spear has gone completely brown this past week as well, which I suspect is due to the drought. It's in the ground, but I should have been hand watering it. Even the Dactylifera has been wilting in the drought and heat. I had to give it a proper good soak yesterday along with all the other palms. Got a bad feeling about this summer. My climate is no longer oceanic/temperate here, it has become borderline Mediterranean. I have only received 13 inches of rain over the past 12 months, since April 2018.  

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

11:10am  PST.  83f/27c

It's gonna be a scorcher today.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

50F right now, but it is approaching midnight here. Off the back of a mini heatwave, the weather has been crap the past couple of days and looks set to be crap until next week. Highs around 55F the next couple of days :(

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

At 9:30 PM, it is 76F with a dew point of 66F. Feels great. Tropical season is lurking. Lows starting next week are creeping towards the 70F mark. We are probably a few weeks from the rainy season starting.

• Upvote 1

86F @ 2:30pm now. More onshore breeze today to cool things a bit which is nice, yesterday topped out at 91 which is a little too hot for me. 

First "official" 100F day of the year, reached roughly an hour ago at Sky Harbor.. Neighborhood stations currently running between 100-105F around Chandler.  'Couple more days in the 90s before yet another brief cool down for the start of the week ( cool in May, here = maybe down to 85F for a day or two ), and a possible shower / sprinkle Monday or Monday night. Back to the low 90s by Thurs/ Friday. 

22 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

First "official" 100F day of the year, reached roughly an hour ago at Sky Harbor.. Neighborhood stations currently running between 100-105F around Chandler.  'Couple more days in the 90s before yet another brief cool down for the start of the week ( cool in May, here = maybe down to 85F for a day or two ), and a possible shower / sprinkle Monday or Monday night. Back to the low 90s by Thurs/ Friday. 

I wish :bemused:

1 hour ago, UK_Palms said:

I wish :bemused:

lol, My wishes for the next 4 months;  Limiting anything over 110F / 43.3C to less than 10 days, NO days over 116F.. and anything over 105 / 40.5C to less than 40 days..

...And at least a few decent rain events - that actually dump over the house - come July- end of September ( our Monsoon season )...  Sub 60F evenings? ..pretty much over until at least the second week of September.  Attention now turns toward "Lets see how many 85-90F overnight lows the summer has in store".:blink2:

64-66F at 11:30pm after some wind / light dust, ..a few brief sprinkles this morning / early afternoon.. a break through the remainder of the afternoon.. followed by a fast moving heavy shower and couple close bolts of lightning about an hour ago..   83-85F expected tomorrow before  another round of 90+ highs by the end of the week..  Extended continues suggesting at least a couple more of these quick hitting upper level lows to pass through the area over the next 10 days or so.. 

Not quite there yet,  but a nice preview of the summer ahead..

A glimpse of some ominous skies around 10am this morning..  What looks like Mammatus clouds is actually heavier rain attempting to fall through an extremely dry layer of the atmosphere between the surface and roughly 10-12K ft overhead. 
DSCN5969.JPG.5cc5f2989784b00a050449b872c38ed8.JPG

• Like 1

Its 88°F out right now, just a mild breeze too. Feels good! Lots of bugs though. 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

48°F and misty. We’ve been trapped just north of a warm front days now, normally this is New England’s problem not ours. It’s agonizing when there’s 80’s so close by.

Tomorrow should be warm though.

70°F and hazy sunshine.

13th day in a row with precipitation (new all time record here), my Licuala grandis and 3 out of 4 Phoenix roebelenii’s (2 sets of twins) have spear pulled and are likely deceased, my Chamaedorea elegens is also deceased and my Kentia is heading in that direction. :rant:

My cold hardy palms (zone 8a and under) now outnumber my tropicals, 12 to 7, and it’ll stay that way. Cold tolerance aside, they’re just all-around tougher plants and give off the same tropical feel.

Edited by cm05
  • Like 1

27c 1:15pm pst

One of the advantages of being inland (in our latitude) over the coastal area. +7c

20190503_132512.jpg

15569153450019053067941234982496.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The weather has been an absolute disgrace for this time of the year here. It is the coldest May bank holiday period on record. This time last year it was 30C (85F), whereas today and tomorrow, we only have highs of 12C (53F) forecast, with an abnormally late frost expected here tonight. We haven't had a frost since early April, but tonight might get down to -1C, maybe even -2C here under the clear skies. At the very least it is going to be hovering around 0C. 

I have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, melons etc all in the ground outside. I am expecting a lot of losses over the next few days... :(

• Like 1

It’s currently 83 degrees Fahrenheit/28 degrees celcius and sunny/humid. Not out of the ordinary for May. However, it was a warm spring, with the last freeze around March 15. The last frost was around March 25, which is relatively early also.

• 2 weeks later...

17c with 76%RH.

20190513_224340.jpg

27c today and the same for tomorrow before cooling down towards the weekend.

25C in Albany tomorrow. 22C today. Then winter hits and the party's over.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

76F at 3:30pm

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

81f @ 9:50pm

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

76°F with 72% humidity.

Was as high as 90°F in some spots earlier, I think the sea breeze came in though.

Around 78 to 80f at 8:13pm reached 95f at peake today and the real feel was +15f higher. Love me some summer!

We reached 93°F today, then a thunderstorm came and it went to 75°F in literally minutes. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

54 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Hot!

th (1).jpeg

Sometimes I wished I lived in Florida for the tropical plants, but the weather is just atrocious sometimes. At least in Virginia there are some cooler spells during the summer.

43 minutes ago, sevapalms said:

Sometimes I wished I lived in Florida for the tropical plants, but the weather is just atrocious sometimes. At least in Virginia there are some cooler spells during the summer.

Yeah. Hence California, however the recent and continuing exodus of Californians to Florida and Texas is quite telling: State tax.

Looks like Central Florida has a chance to see triple digits in places next week.

201905220800_Lakeland10Day.png

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

15 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Yeah. Hence California, however the recent and continuing exodus of Californians to Florida and Texas is quite telling: State tax.

The fires are kind of a turn-off also. Although the weather is very nice in California, there are definite cons to living there.

We finally got a break from the clouds.

20c @2pm PST

Palms are getting direct sunlight. So they are a bit warmer than the thermometer readout.  

20190523_140148.jpg

Heat's on it's way I have a few days in the 100's early next week. Bring it on. It's sabal growing weather :D

• Upvote 1

70ish F for lows and 90-93F for highs lately.  Getting hotter going forward with a day or two in the upper 90s expected early next week.  Lovely but I am ready for the rainy season.

17 hours ago, RJ said:

Heat's on it's way I have a few days in the 100's early next week. Bring it on. It's sabal growing weather :D

On the news this morning B)

916F7FC8-0010-472F-8C9C-94ECA494AF6F.jpeg

• Like 1