IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

That's rough, I feel awful for you.  Once the weather warms up I'm sure you will put this behind you and get motivated again!  

Run of the mill??  Wow.

Lol, have said the same thing when i'd hear someone say it..  Kind of scratch my head saying "really??, just * average * ".. in my head. 

Here's another, from back at the end of November last year.  I think the added dust in our skies in the desert adds to the drama of many sunsets here, especially during the summer storm season.  Average?.. i don't think so..
DSCN4695.JPG.acfdc18f179538ef3b2845dfb78ebcf2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I have just broken my February temperature record for the second day running, with a high of 72F today. The same temperature is forecast again tomorrow, with the prospect of another temperature record being set, possibly, before it cools back down again to normal temps, come the end of the week.

I have now recorded 4 consecutive days over 68F and 6 consecutive days over 65F... in February. And it's technically winter still. This part of the UK has actually been warmer than Los Angeles the past 3 days! :laugh2:

Just to put it into perspective... I am level with Saskatoon in Canada, which is at the same latitude as me at 51N. 

While I had a high of 72F on Tuesday, Saskatoon didn't get above 2F. Which is a difference of 70F. 

Literally worlds apart... but both locations are the same distance from the equator.

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

2 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Just to put it into perspective... I am level with Saskatoon in Canada, which is at the same latitude as me at 51N. 

While I had a high of 72F on Tuesday, Saskatoon didn't get above 2F. Which is a difference of 70F. 

Literally worlds apart... but both locations are the same distance from the equator.

When you're on am island in the direct path of the gulf stream vs land locked for thousands of miles...lol

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

What a difference a week makes. 

This time last week, it was 47F.  Today, Averaging 76.5 around the neighborhood atm after another great, early spring afternoon spent in the upper 70s -low 80s.  If someone had been away for the last two weeks, they wouldn't even have a clue we'd just emerged from the coldest February since 1998 across the area. 

Snow, that could be easily seen while standing out front last weekend, at least in the lower elevation areas of surrounding foothills up north, is long gone.  Now, attention turns to the wildflowers that are starting to perk up on hillsides around town with the return of some sun and warmer days.   Interestingly, Crickets in the yard are out singing again ( lots of babies everywhere also) and spotted a couple Large Orange / Orange Giant Sulphur Butterflies ( Phoebis agarithe) and early Painted Lady passing through the yard / neighborhood.. Most of the Sulphur sp. that occur here in AZ are more typically seen in Summer, once monsoon season starts. Interesting that the cold across the region didn't scare any that seem to have hung around all winter, back into Mexico last month. 

Looks like we stay basically mild through the weekend with maybe a light shower possible tomorrow ( 20% chance across the valley). Temps stay in the 70s.

Phoenix and the valley might make a run at the season's first, official 80-82F highs early next week before potentially better rain chances may enter into the forecast later on. Temps. at that time might cool back to the low 70s -upper 60s for a couple days if we do get rain.

All in all, what one anticipates as we start Meteorological Spring,  Spring Plant Sales Season, and the first weekend in March. 

Sun + Warmer days = Happy plants.. and flowers too.    Happy Meteorological Spring.
779428746_DSCN5029(2).jpg.d1416dc2bba45a05918cda52f43aa7aa.jpg

• Upvote 1

18 C, 64 F, 340 am, Saturday 2 March 19

It looks like our high on Wednesday will be about the same.  A bit of a chill, but nothing like the March freezes we've had in recent years.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Still looks like freakishly low for January for 2 days wrapped on both ends by January weather in our 10 day. Longest January on record at 4 months and going strong and we didn't even get a true warming trend as we always do in the actual month of January. Think we got 1 60F day and a handful of 50s... Glad everyone else is spared this mess. The 6th and 7th would worry me in the dead of winter, but coming into spring I have to wonder about this whole "things are warming" hypothesis some have. The past few winters have just plain been odd to say the least....

Here's hoping NEXT winter is more normal.

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

33 degrees with 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground.

Lowest temperature in the forecast is 17 degrees, which isn’t great, but it could be worse.

Only up from here though, sun getting too strong for any real cold, UV Index now beginning to top out at 6/7 consistently. Forecast going forward looks early spring-like.

• Like 1

Coldest reading of the season, in March?! Forecast now in the 30-32 range for tomorrow night...and just above freezing Tuesday night...

Edited by Xenon

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Looks like those we're going to duck the brunt of this haymaker:

201903031515_Weather.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

79.3F/26.4C at 2.30pm. With a cool front moving tonight, it’s gonna drop to 45F by dawn.

A low of 40F tomorrow night, 35F Tuesday night and 41F Wednesday night. After that it’s back to normal temps. again. 

Edited by Estlander

This morning I tied my all-time low for March at 25F it so dry here there is no frost on the rooftops. But loving this sunnier than normal winter. 

Low 80s right now, but headed for two nights in the low 40s.  I hope at least one will be less chilly than forecast.  It’s a shame that my two Cocos will have to be traumatized again before things warm up for good.

28F sunny and no frost, but high winds for days.  It's looking like the third week in March things might begin to approach normal.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:15 PM, kinzyjr said:

Looks like those we're going to duck the brunt of this haymaker:

201903031515_Weather.png

Yall are lucky! We will hit, briefly zone 8a Temps possibly but I doubt my house will drop bellow 8b. Either way mine are mostly done for as we enter month 5 of at or we'll bellow January averages. Only things that are doing well are magnolia, yuccas and needles. I know we can expect a surprise in March but never this bad lol...

Right now we should have highs at 57f to 60f and lows around 35f yet we are bellow mid 40s for highs....

WOW, the arctic cold is going south this morning, Dallas TX hit low 20's and Huston 30F what's going on with all this cold weather this late in winter. This morning is better for me but still cold but nice during the day. Might get some rain tomorrow, my hellebores in bloom are laying flat from the winter drought.  

acttemp_1280x720.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

NWS had been forecasting a freeze for interior portions of FL Panhandle, but they just extended it to the coast. Unfortunately, there are a lot of blooming and leafing-out trees and shrubs in the area I'm worried will get damage.

NWS Discussion from Mobile

Daytime highs today range from the mid 40s northwest zones to the
lower 50s southeast of I-65 and to the coast. Clear skies, light
winds, and low dewpoints tonight favor excellent radiational cooling
processes and lows plunging into the mid 20s over the interior to a
light freeze now looking to make it the coast. The freeze watch for
tonight will be upgraded to a warning, which now includes the
coastal zones. /10

2 hours ago, Matthew92 said:

NWS had been forecasting a freeze for interior portions of FL Panhandle, but they just extended it to the coast. Unfortunately, there are a lot of blooming and leafing-out trees and shrubs in the area I'm worried will get damage.

NWS Discussion from Mobile

Daytime highs today range from the mid 40s northwest zones to the
lower 50s southeast of I-65 and to the coast. Clear skies, light
winds, and low dewpoints tonight favor excellent radiational cooling
processes and lows plunging into the mid 20s over the interior to a
light freeze now looking to make it the coast. The freeze watch for
tonight will be upgraded to a warning, which now includes the
coastal zones. /10

The past few winters we have had a false spring that has killed buds/leaves/flowers and delays the bloom a bit. Sure hope that doesn't happen to yall as it really delays leafing out quite a bit albeit Florida can recover quicker. Good luck!

• Like 1

Recorded a low of 36F last night. Predicted to get down to 35F tonight. Will see what my thermometers actually record tomorrow morning. Inland FL panhandle I-10  areas are predicted to get down to 27F tonight.

Dropped down to 20F this morning, currently 33F.

It’ll be cold until the weekend before returning closer to normal (40’s/50’s).

2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

The past few winters we have had a false spring that has killed buds/leaves/flowers and delays the bloom a bit. Sure hope that doesn't happen to yall as it really delays leafing out quite a bit albeit Florida can recover quicker. Good luck!

I guess that’s one “benefit” of being on the coast. Our springs are generally on a slight delay because of the ocean influence + we’re also kept milder at night by said ocean influence, as a result we usually see our last frost/freeze before everything really comes to life.

It’s rare that I see plants damaged by spring cold snaps here, but it can happen. One year most Dogwoods didn’t even flower.

I’d still take Maryland’s climate over Long Island’s though.

After one of the longest cold spells in February, my winter-flowering plants are now back in full bloom. 

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

• Like 1

Currently 62F after finally reaching / breaking the 80F threshold around most of the valley.  Sky Harbor also reached 80 officially, the first time this year, and since the first 'couple days of November last year.  

Wx stations in the neighborhood ranged between 82-84 with some of the hottest breaking the 90F mark.  Could feel the heat in the air and while out on another hike today. Supposed to be 2-4 deg warmer tomorrow before temps head back to the 60s-low 70s, and rain chances return.  May not see 80F+ temps again until after the 20th..  As long as lows stay above 40F, you couldn't ask for better weather this time of year here.   Now, if we could spread it around a little more,  that would be good also..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

58.5F at 11 a.m. Low was 48.7F.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Local weather underground station got upgraded to z9a so I reckon it's possible my house stays just bellow freezing. Going to be more March averages with high 40s to 60s for the 10 day. Hopefully spring is here and I can start planting soon.

35F and snow.  It's the 6th time on record to have recordable snow fall in March.

59F in my yard right now at 4pm. Recorded a low of 34F this morning.   Warming up now. A low of 43F predicted for the upcoming early morning.

Edited by Estlander

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Local weather underground station got upgraded to z9a so I reckon it's possible my house stays just bellow freezing. Going to be more March averages with high 40s to 60s for the 10 day. Hopefully spring is here and I can start planting soon.

When did you move to Hell?

Hoping you get warmer weather soon.

Meg

Florida

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

When did you move to Hell?

Hoping you get warmer weather soon.

November 1983 lol

@PalmatierMeg & @mdsonofthesouth And here I was thinking Hell was a solid zone 12... there goes my only hopes ;)

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

7 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@PalmatierMeg & @mdsonofthesouth And here I was thinking Hell was a solid zone 12... there goes my only hopes ;)

Hell? ..maybe Zone 12 in Phoenix.  ..Never under 60F,  100F+ Feb 1st thru December ..31st.  90F between the roast fest..   Maybe 1" of rain, all year..  THAT would be classic hell, right there. lol.  Anything else, just wouldn't compare:lol:

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Zone 12 with humidity would be heaven for me lol

Current temp is 61.7F at 9:35 a.m. That's about 5 degrees higher than yesterday at 10:30 a.m.  Does the warmup begin?

Low was 48.0F, which is 0.7 degrees lower than yesterday's low but 2 degrees higher than predicted.

Meg

Florida

Didn't go bellow 23F with the event! Much better than the initial reports of 9F!! Currently still frigid at 34F at my house. Should warm up in the next day or so I'm told lol at this point I don't believe it til I see it!

Currently holding at 50F after sunset, which should be the low for tonight. It shouldn't dip much below that, but it won't warm up much either come tomorrow, with a high of 52F forecast. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Currently 65F and sunny at 2.40pm. Predicted low was 43F for last night. I recorded 36F however. 

4:04pm PST, Tijuana, Mex

25c

20190314_160448.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

After a week that started wet and cold,  followed by a day -long 35-50MPH wind event, ..and awakening to 33F Wednesday morning, 73-76F around the East Valley atm with some high clouds, and a light easterly breeze atm. Anticipating upper 70s- 82F tomorrow  ..Solid 80s return Sunday- next Wednesday before more possible rain chances later next week / the start of the following week. 

A very unusual ramp up to.. / start of calendar Spring, at least for here.  ...and, based on the current thinking of several longer range forecasts, this up and down, some heat / some unusual cool, maybe a few showers every few days pattern may hang around into April, or at least the start of the month. More interesting are suggestions that the region may stay slightly cooler / wetter than normal thru May ( CFS Weekly / Monthly models.. T-Tidbits )     ..I'll happily take delaying any 90-95+ heat well into June.

Despite minor shifts between various runs from time to time, some 'real interesting things worth keeping an eye on still showing up on the NMME / CFS Monthly models for the entire region going into the summer and beyond. Could we see: "Decent Monsoon season, ..part #2"?   ..Could CA get in on some of that summer moisture this time as well?  Stay tuned... :interesting:

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

After a week that started wet and cold,  followed by a day -long 35-50MPH wind event, ..and awakening to 33F Wednesday morning, 73-76F around the East Valley atm with some high clouds, and a light easterly breeze atm. Anticipating upper 70s- 82F tomorrow  ..Solid 80s return Sunday- next Wednesday before more possible rain chances later next week / the start of the following week. 

A very unusual ramp up to.. / start of calendar Spring, at least for here.  ...and, based on the current thinking of several longer range forecasts, this up and down, some heat / some unusual cool, maybe a few showers every few days pattern may hang around into April, or at least the start of the month. More interesting are suggestions that the region may stay slightly cooler / wetter than normal thru May ( CFS Weekly / Monthly models.. T-Tidbits )     ..I'll happily take delaying any 90-95+ heat well into June.

Despite minor shifts between various runs from time to time, some 'real interesting things worth keeping an eye on still showing up on the NMME / CFS Monthly models for the entire region going into the summer and beyond. Could we see: "Decent Monsoon season, ..part #2"?   ..Could CA get in on some of that summer moisture this time as well?  Stay tuned... :interesting:

I’m all game for a cooler start to summer! Keeps my AC use down and I can keep banking my solar credits for the summer. Although the monsoon last year was fun, the near daily severe winds and the damage it did to my patio and trees can stay home. Near 80mph wind gust at our home shot a good sized glass table into my pool area. Glass into a pool = no bueno. Don’t feel like draining a pool this year. Also brought down about a 50ft tree into my adjoining driveway with my neighbor. Missed homes and a truck somehow.