IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

3 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

59.4F at 10:15 a.m. Low this morning 56.1F. Predicted low for tonight: 46F.

So far this winter weather has been as predicted: cooler (but not wetter) than normal but not horrifically cold. I'd rather have days of 60s/40s than the occasional night in the low 30s.

This morning was interesting because we had 44 here in Tampa and about 55 at my place in the Sarasota area. Seems like Sarasota County south is about a day behind on the cold air from this front.

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Jan 25th, 11:50am PST

27C/81F

Our low at dawn was 14c/57F

20190125_114902.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hovering between 73-75F  as high clouds roll through atm ( 3:50 PM MST), after briefly reaching 78 about an hour ago.. 

A perfect day out on the trails, mild when i got there. Warm with a nice breeze to temper building heat heading up the trail.. Perfect with continued breezes at the top, and on the way back down.  Lots of pictures to post.

• Upvote 2

62F at 6:51 EST, which is chilly! 100% chance of rain over the weekend, which means the chilly front is backing up. That’s not good! The median temperature for December 2018 at PBIA was 70F. The current median temperature for January 2019 at PBIA is 67F. The likelihood of Polar Armegedon is fading...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

57.6F at 7:40 p.m. High was 60F. We've had 4"+ of rain since 2 a.m. and it is raining now as I type. Low is predicted to be 48F but as long as it keeps raining I don't think (hope) it will get that low. This coming week will much cooler than normal, i.e., 60s & 40s. By then perhaps the chances of a freeze will decrease dramatically.

I worry what this chilly rain will do to my container garden on the back lanai. Guess I'll find out.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

64F 4:23pm, PST Jan/30 

Expecting rain tomorrow.

This potted green coco has survived the elements this winter. (South facing wall behind it. Concrete beneath it)

15488942024091999493416954730637.jpg

15488942617113100923133679567129.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

High of 72 today. Looks like some changes are in store... East will warm up, which will allow cold to spill into California. Temps will pretty cool Monday -> Wednesday

Edited by enigma99

6 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

High of 72 today.

That sounds pretty warm today.  We (north coastal SD, specifically Encinitas) are in the midst of rain with intermittent lightning/thunder, low to mid 60's F for highs and mid to low 50's for lows in the forecast during the next round of rain to hit.  The last few days were much warmer days and cooler nights, but warm enough for my bananas, guavas and at least one papaya to start ripening.

20190130-104A2296.jpg

20190130-104A2298.jpg

20190130-104A2297.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

15 minutes ago, Tracy said:

That sounds pretty warm today.  We (north coastal SD, specifically Encinitas) are in the midst of rain with intermittent lightning/thunder, low to mid 60's F for highs and mid to low 50's for lows in the forecast during the next round of rain to hit.  The last few days were much warmer days and cooler nights, but warm enough for my bananas, guavas and at least one papaya to start ripening.

Nice... what are those bananas? Blue java? They look similar to mine. My guavas all ripened up about 3 weeks ago. Maybe because it is a little cooler here?

42 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

what are those bananas? Blue java? They look similar to mine. My guavas all ripened up about 3 weeks ago. Maybe because it is a little cooler here?

Banana variety is Goldfinger ( Musa acuminata × Musa balbisiana hybrid ).  I have a couple of different varieties of guava and get 2 crops per year on both.  I actually doubt you are "cooler", probably more of both cold and hot than here depending on the season.  My proximity to the ocean moderates both highs and lows.  We don't often get really cold (except on clear nights after offshore winds stop early in the morning) dipping down to mid 30's and low 40's occasionally, and rarely get hot which would be above the low 80's F (normally only during a major heat wave).  According to the Weather.com, Encinitas average January high is 63 with average low of 45, with our hottest month (August) 71/64 average hi/low.  I'm not sure where in the city they measure that because it does vary a great deal if you go just a mile inland from me (both hotter and colder in the extremes).

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Only 34F at 3am, but the snow is falling thick and fast here. It looks like we'll have an accumulation of a good 3-4 inches of snow come sunrise...

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

After some sprinkles before dawn,  a touch humid and mainly sunny afternoon as we await  whatever remains of the next storm about to slam all of California, head our way. Hovering between 73-81F at 3:57 PM ( drops back to the lower 70's as some clouds roll through ). Most other nearby stations have held in the mid-upper 70s. Similar numbers seen when checking other stations around the rest of the valley this afternoon.  

May do it again tomorrow before the storm starts rolling in. Forecast is suggesting up to .50" of rain by Monday morning.. Hoping we squeeze out closer to 1".  Some cooler days ahead, but mid 60s isn't much to complain about,  esp. if we get more rain,  unless you're attending the big golfing event in Scottsdale this week.  

Perfect day for collecting the years' first harvest of Chili Pequins off my bush out front, before the neighborhood Mockingbirds and Thrashers get to them.. Bush is loaded this year.. and starting another flowering cycle.  For anyone who might not know the difference, Chiltepins are round,  Pequin are longer and narrow.. Great, small pepper with just the right amount of flavor. Throw one in with some Pasta sauce and it adds just the right amount of heat.  Just got to get them picked before the birds do it for you.. 

DSCN4984.JPG.21017fbdf18708eade88b7d4f51b2030.JPG

Edited by Silas_Sancona
  • Like 4

Year we hit 82 here. Windows open, fresh air! Love it. Cold returns Saturday though. Low of 36 :angry:

Currently running in the low -mid 50s  across the east Valley atm. Chandler Muni is reporting 52F while the warmest / closest neighborhood Wx stations are sitting at 60 and 61F. Sure doesn't feel like it, esp. with a stiff breeze and partly cloudy skies this afternoon.  

Anticipating 34-31F  again tonight.. Outside chance temps might touch 30 or 29F briefly as the sun rises tomorrow. Then we get ready for whats looking like the biggest  storm of the 2018-19 winter here starting early on Thursday and extending until possibly Sat. morning. 

Forecast is still suggesting .75" to 1.5" of rain for the valley ( higher totals currently suggested on this side of town, we'll see how much actually falls this go around..) and up to.. if not exceeding 35-50" of Snow across elevations above 5- 7,000ft, and up to 15+"  of the white stuff in areas between 4K and 5,500ft. Snow level very well could crash below 3,500ft late Friday and it is possible (..if not likely..) many areas of eastern and southern Arizona  may see an inch to several inches of Snow. If any showers are hanging around after sunset Friday night,  some areas just outside Metro Phoenix might even see a  brief flake or two. Chances for precip. for the area @ that time are 30% with an overnight low of 34F anticipated, per the latest forecast from the Phoenix NWS office.. 

** if planning any travel to or through the area through Saturday, please stay up to date on road conditions.. Very possible parts of I-40 through N. Arizona, Parts of I-10 east of Tucson and into  New Mexico, and numerous other roads leading up into the high country could experience delays or be shut down.for any given amount of time the next couple days.**. 

High Friday may not even reach above 52F which, if that comes to pass,  it would set a record low high for the date ( Think it's 54F for Sky Harbor) 

After all that, pattern starts a slow moderation, though not expecting a quick or significant warm up next week here, across the region, or in CA. May even see more rain chances ahead, though likely focused more north of Phoenix. Temps start out in the mid 50s Sat, and dial up to the mid / upper 60's by next Thursday / Friday.

GFS runs the last few days via T- Tidbits and forecast data from Accuweather continue suggesting the potential return of some 70F+ readings starting around the 3rd-5th of March.. Would be great.. but skeptical at the same time.. ( mid 60s to about 74F would be perfect, even if nights stay cool )   Think the coldest stretch of this pattern is occurring now,  but PNA looks to hover between neutral and  -.05- -1.00.. at least through the start of next month. The more negative it stays, the more likely cooler than normal weather may hang around the West.  We'll see..

While the cold of late may be a bit annoying in some circumstances, the rain /snow coming with it will likely put a nice dent in the region's long standing Drought.. Current thinking i have heard discussed among some forecasters locally is this winter may be among the best, precip-wise, in at least a decade for a lot of the Southwest.  

• Like 1

2-20-2019 @0110 it is 32.5F

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Looks like the whole valley is within a couple of degrees except a few pockets. Not a cloud in the sky. I predict I may touch 29f briefly before sunrise. I did throw a couple covers on things but didn’t go nuts like earlier this year. Come on spring!!

9F20395F-715F-4D12-99EE-7E388FEEBCD7.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Looks like the whole valley is within a couple of degrees except a few pockets. Not a cloud in the sky. I predict I may touch 29f briefly before sunrise. I did throw a couple covers on things but didn’t go nuts like earlier this year. Come on spring!!

9F20395F-715F-4D12-99EE-7E388FEEBCD7.png

Exactly the same readings i saw when i checked at 7:30am. Between the 6 stations closest to the house, Rialto Hills Wx station, ( roughly 1.2 mi away ) came in with the lowest reading, briefly reaching 25.9F.  Other closest stations all bottomed out at 29.8F.  Looking closer at the data, Dew Point and air temps stayed anywhere from 3-7 degrees apart  over night which is likely why there wasn't any frost in the shaded areas of the yard.  

Looks like another dip to 30 - 32F are  possible again over the weekend before the forecast moderation in temperatures begins..  ...after what looks like a wet and cold end to the week.. Return of the 60s, and maybe some 70s next week / start of March are gonna feel real nice after all the chill.. 

Current temp(s) as of 3:52 pm, MST: 45.7F  Only a few Wx stations around the entire valley are reporting 50F atm. Most are stuck in the 43-48F range.. Awaiting the afternoon forecast update from the local NWS..

Sky Harbor is also reporting 46F atm and, with all the rain so far.. and more / steadier rain headed in, i doubt they'll reach 50F. If that happens, i think we'll set a record low high a day earlier than suggested in earlier forecasts.. Thinking both today's and tomorrows records go wayy back to something like 1897-ish. Crazy..

Even crazier, When i lived in Kansas, ( and Ohio for that matter..) if it was 45 or 50F this time of year,  many considered it " t-shirt weather".  

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Current temp(s) as of 3:52 pm, MST: 45.7F  Only a few Wx stations around the entire valley are reporting 50F atm. Most are stuck in the 43-48F range.. Awaiting the afternoon forecast update from the local NWS..

Sky Harbor is also reporting 46F atm and, with all the rain so far.. and more / steadier rain headed in, i doubt they'll reach 50F. If that happens, i think we'll set a record low high a day earlier than suggested in earlier forecasts.. Thinking both today's and tomorrows records go wayy back to something like 1897-ish. Crazy..

Even crazier, When i lived in Kansas, ( and Ohio for that matter..) if it was 45 or 50F this time of year,  many considered it " t-shirt weather".  

I spend most of my days in the east valley doing outside sales and account management. The east valley has had it much rougher today than the west I think. Here’s my weather station readings from today. Says 52f and I don’t see how but with no sun I guess I do believe it? Very windy in Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler today. 

5B0E8DB9-E32C-429A-A2A2-1E311CCC149E.png

4 minutes ago, AZPalms said:

I spend most of my days in the east valley doing outside sales and account management. The east valley has had it much rougher today than the west I think. Here’s my weather station readings from today. Says 52f and I don’t see how but with no sun I guess I do believe it? Very windy in Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler today. 

5B0E8DB9-E32C-429A-A2A2-1E311CCC149E.png

Noticed the same thing while sampling other weather stations around town.. Some neighborhood stations out in the west valley saw more of a slight bump in temps earlier on before the rain set in.  Several Wx stations nearby also looked as though the temp briefly reached 50-52F a couple times during the early morning hours when we had all the wind, then tanked once the heavier rain set in.  

Just heard Flagstaff broke it's all time, daily snowfall record of 31.6" ( record is 31.0", set back in 1915). and it's supposed to keep snowing up there the rest of the evening / into tomorrow.. Great Skiing / Boarding once the roads are cleared.  

7C/44F 6:30pm PST 2/21/2019 We had hail for 1 and half minutes non-stop at 6:15pm.

:crying: 

Quick update: 

Big, Wet Snow being reported in Fountain Hills area. According to the post ( over on Agaveville ) 2" has fallen at his location, and was continuing to fall when he posted ( @ 10:10 pm).. Pictures he posted are WOW.. to say the least.  News said Salt River Fields, in North Scottsdale ( roughly at an elevation of 1309') could also see flakes sometime over night.. Winter Wx Advisory posted for areas just above 2000'  for parts of the valley thru 9am Friday Morning. 

Another twitter poster posted potential frozen precip. trying to form over South Mountain Park. Hills in the park /preserve range from 1400 to roughly 2400' in elevation.  Good indication of a dropping Snow Level overhead.

Been raining non-stop since 10 am.. or even earlier i count the lighter rain that was falling when i woke up around 7:30 this morning. 1.33" recorded in this part of Chandler so far, and should keep up for at least 3 more hours by the look of the radar. 

Hovering between 39.4 and 40.0F atm.. Could be an interesting start to the day if it gets any cooler before the rain ends.. EEK!

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

Well I woke up this am to a nice frost and ice on many of my palms from the rain. We’re in for another round possibly tonight. Sure is depressing seeing the royals look like someone torched them. I think they’ll pull through but might take a season or two to look like they did. Tonight’s predicted low of 35/36 means I will likely touch freezing one more night. 

B6D698DD-0A4D-4B64-A1C6-93BF7C9FC963.png

65F here right now. 70F forecast for Monday. The pepper plants are taking off already here.  I should have my first crops in April this year.

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

48°F with 1.23” of rain so far today.

High Wind Warning in place for tonight and tomorrow, March is coming in like a lion already, I just hope the warmth follows suit.

My Trachycarpus fortunei, Trachycarpus takil, and Sabal louisiana are awakening from their slumber with their spears slowly beginning to move. That means spring has sprung.

I have just clocked 71°F here in southern England, which is officially my warmest February day on record! But that record could change tomorrow, with another high of 70°F forecast again.

London and Wales have both set new records for the UK's warmest February day ever, clocking in at 73°F this afternoon. With Scotland also breaking it's February record high yesterday. We are also on record for it to be the warmest February on record by the average temp and the average high temp. 

This amount of warmth in winter is almost unheard of here. I have actually got sunburnt today on my face and arms, it has been that sunny. Everybody in town was wearing t-shirts, shorts and sunglasses. We even had the ice cream van come round earlier haha. The past 3 days have all reached 68F here now, in February. At 51N in the UK. Simply extraordinary!

• Like 1

46F at 6pm.

Sadly the start of March is looking terrible for January so seems the January or worse weather we have had sine November will be around for a few more weeks. While our ultimate cold was short here the relentless January weather over the past few months has drained all motivation from me. Debating butia capitata and removed chamarodea mass plantings from my wishful list. Will plant the ones I have and protect them since one did take 19F in a pot as Grandma forgot, but all my real pushing dreams are dead and gone for now. Building a backbone and trachycarpus collection with 1 butia (waiting a year or 2 more in pots), 2 palmettos, and chamaerops humilis.

Pretty sure everything is dead or near death save for the rhapidophyllum and yuccas which are 100% unphased. Heres hoping my next garden will work better and motivate me to continue. But this winter has sapped most if not all my motivation...

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

50-48F around the 'hood atm after a pleasant afternoon. While the often, overly- ambitious weather station in the neighborhood topped out at 76F. Most others came in just above what had been forecast, roughly 67-69F today.. Could have been warmer had skies stayed clear but, the high clouds around through the evening made for a an early season epic sunset. Was apparently warm enough that i'm feeling a touch of warmth on the back of my neck after moving river rock around half of the day. Should top 70 across the area tomorrow, then peak out around 75-80F by Saturday.. Lows hang through the low 50s starting tomorrow.  A trip or two to some local trails might be in order this week..

While it doesn't look as though we'll see a repeat of any crazy cold weather in days ahead, rain chances might not be done with the desert just yet, a good thing for sure. Chances look quite good that this winter has all but erased the state's / region's long standing drought conditions.. or, a majority of such conditions.. at least for now. anything -extra.. we can get is a welcomed bonus. Plants certainly won't mind. 

Many of the neighborhood catch basins are still filled with runoff from last week. In some cases, i could see just how full some had been earlier on, a bit surprising since some, that also act as small neighborhood parks / green spaces, can sit 4-10 ft below street level  had " bath tub rings" 3 ft up the bank sides. Interesting seeing ducks swimming around in one such spot where a local Dog trainer works with Police Canines across from a job i'm working on atm.. 

Anyway, a nice start to a warmer week ahead.  Oh, and that sunset:

Among many  the things Arizona is known for, our sunsets would likely make the top 10 or so *things* that might come to mind. Have seen some crazy ones since here. Colorful?, sure.. but compared to those seen during Monsoon season, today's might be considered your run-of-the-mill by some.. Still good enough to share.. 
 DSCN5037.JPG.81881e0fe1015b964527e5e64b4acb38.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

46F at 6pm.

Sadly the start of March is looking terrible for January so seems the January or worse weather we have had sine November will be around for a few more weeks. While our ultimate cold was short here the relentless January weather over the past few months has drained all motivation from me. Debating butia capitata and removed chamarodea mass plantings from my wishful list. Will plant the ones I have and protect them since one did take 19F in a pot as Grandma forgot, but all my real pushing dreams are dead and gone for now. Building a backbone and trachycarpus collection with 1 butia (waiting a year or 2 more in pots), 2 palmettos, and chamaerops humilis.

Pretty sure everything is dead or near death save for the rhapidophyllum and yuccas which are 100% unphased. Heres hoping my next garden will work better and motivate me to continue. But this winter has sapped most if not all my motivation...

That's rough, I feel awful for you.  Once the weather warms up I'm sure you will put this behind you and get motivated again!  

12 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Among many  the things Arizona is known for, our sunsets would likely make the top 10 or so *things* that might come to mind. Have seen some crazy ones since here. Colorful?, sure.. but compared to those seen during Monsoon season, today's might be considered your run-of-the-mill by some.. Still good enough to share.. 

Run of the mill??  Wow.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

That's rough, I feel awful for you.  Once the weather warms up I'm sure you will put this behind you and get motivated again!  

Run of the mill??  Wow.

Thanks, but this is a common theme during winter. They dont call it the depression season for nothing. Add in a few tragedies and hurting myself PRing at the gym and not being able to workout (an IMMENSE anti depressant) since January 2nd has me a little extra "blue" lately. I will be trying again on the better side for sure as I am really curious as to how much better it could be and only doing yuccas, rhapidophyllum and sabal minors elsewhere. The differences of my E/SE vs current palm garden is STARK from snow/ice and frozen soil to sun exposure. 

14 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

50-48F around the 'hood atm after a pleasant afternoon. While the often, overly- ambitious weather station in the neighborhood topped out at 76F. Most others came in just above what had been forecast, roughly 67-69F today.. Could have been warmer had skies stayed clear but, the high clouds around through the evening made for a an early season epic sunset. Was apparently warm enough that i'm feeling a touch of warmth on the back of my neck after moving river rock around half of the day. Should top 70 across the area tomorrow, then peak out around 75-80F by Saturday.. Lows hang through the low 50s starting tomorrow.  A trip or two to some local trails might be in order this week..

While it doesn't look as though we'll see a repeat of any crazy cold weather in days ahead, rain chances might not be done with the desert just yet, a good thing for sure. Chances look quite good that this winter has all but erased the state's / region's long standing drought conditions.. or, a majority of such conditions.. at least for now. anything -extra.. we can get is a welcomed bonus. Plants certainly won't mind. 

Many of the neighborhood catch basins are still filled with runoff from last week. In some cases, i could see just how full some had been earlier on, a bit surprising since some, that also act as small neighborhood parks / green spaces, can sit 4-10 ft below street level  had " bath tub rings" 3 ft up the bank sides. Interesting seeing ducks swimming around in one such spot where a local Dog trainer works with Police Canines across from a job i'm working on atm.. 

Anyway, a nice start to a warmer week ahead.  Oh, and that sunset:

We do have pretty awesome sunsets!

• Like 1

I have just broken my February temperature record for the second day running, with a high of 72F today. The same temperature is forecast again tomorrow, with the prospect of another temperature record being set, possibly, before it cools back down again to normal temps, come the end of the week.

I have now recorded 4 consecutive days over 68F and 6 consecutive days over 65F... in February. And it's technically winter still. This part of the UK has actually been warmer than Los Angeles the past 3 days! :laugh2:

• Like 2