IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

Warm afternoon in S. Texas but the cold is not too far away. Some of the earlier forecasts were calling for snow in Houston tomorrow, but now it looks like we'll be getting away with just low-mid 40s. Warm-ish again next week. 

warmafternoon.JPG.439730bc1f044a600ce806

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

A paltry 35F at 3pm right now. Bloody freezing for mid December even! 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

About 65F at nearly 11pm.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Dec 17, 2018 10:53pm pst, (6 miles south of San Diego border. 12m-14m inland) 16C/60.8F

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

8 am 50F but will be cold next week with highs/lows in the '40s. Lots of warm rain this week!

Edited by Palm crazy

Very windy and mild this morning 25 mph with gust up to 45 mph will die down this evening. humidity is really low at 75%. Rainy, 7 am 56F. with a high of 58f. 

Edited by Palm crazy

67.1F at 11:34 am on 12/20/18 in my yard (Flour Bluff, east side of Corpus Christi, Texas, just .6 of a mile inland from the Laguna Madre).  So far, a fairly mild winter, and my Coconut Palms doing well, but with some typical Potassium deficiency spotting this time of year.

John

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Very windy and mild this morning 25 mph with gust up to 45 mph will die down this evening. humidity is really low at 75%. Rainy, 7 am 56F. with a high of 58f. 

The winds have died down now and it barely raining, I can now get outside and do some cleanup. Winds are only 5-10 mph, but the electricity did go off twice this morning. Things are back to normal and mild. Yay! I'm doing some cuttings today off the grevillea shrub. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎4‎:‎06‎:‎36‎, Xenon said:

Warm afternoon in S. Texas but the cold is not too far away. Some of the earlier forecasts were calling for snow in Houston tomorrow, but now it looks like we'll be getting away with just low-mid 40s. Warm-ish again next week. 

warmafternoon.JPG.439730bc1f044a600ce806

Look how nice and tropical the Rio Grande Valley is this time of year!  They need to plant thousands of Coconut Palms there, especially near the coast in Brownsville, Los Fresno, Port Isabel, and South Padre Island, and a lot more Royal Palms too!

John

• Upvote 1

66.6F at 2:00 p.m. Gusty rain front moving through.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Had issues with flooding and tornadoes here.  In a few places, roads had to be closed or reduced to fewer lanes of traffic.  In some places, structural damage to houses from high winds.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

7 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Minimum this morning: 5:30AM 28.2C (82.8F) 82% RH. Glad to be at this end of the year.

It's been a dreadful 'build up' this season, only 5.4mm at the Airport ( long term average for December is 254.4mm ( 10" ) night average minimums 2.7c ( 4.3f ) above normal. Gets worse I might have to turn on the bedroom aircon.....

Currently 67°F and sunny out. We are getting a break from the cold. The Southwestern side of my house with my driveway is 74°F right now thanks to the sun. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

66F today and cloudy. Supposed to hover between the mid 60's / low 70's between tomorrow and Tuesday. Bottom falls out afterwards. Maybe only in the high 50's by Wednesday and Rain / Snow returns. Snow level from Wed. night through the end of next week may lower to 4,000' and low desert areas, inc. around Phoenix,  may flirt with / drop to freezing either Thurs. or Friday morning, maybe through next weekend.

18z GFS run ( Tropical Tidbits ) is suggesting a possible 2- 2.5" of rain across the area by the start of 2019.   Much different start to Winter than last year.. A good thing.   Not worried about the plants.. Getting more water in the ground / local Lakes / Upper Colorado River Basin is far more important.

71F at 5:03pm MST on Christmas Eve.. 64F forecasted for Christmas Day as big weather changes move in. Possible that it only reaches 55F by Sat.or Sunday ( or both days ).

Local NWS is still suggesting at least 2 mornings bottoming out in the 31-33F range here in Chandler. Other, colder valley spots may dip just below 30F. Tucson looks 2-4F colder from what i saw clicking on various parts of town.

Current point and click Forecast even seeing an outside chance (10% at best) for a rain / Snow mix possible just north of Tucson ( Marana / Picacho / Red Rock areas) and in the area around the Desert Museum  as the next, colder storm moves through Friday night. Highly doubt it but certainly would be cold enough if any remaining showers pass through before sunrise on Saturday. Snow is a sure thing for Flagstaff, Rim Country, and Sky Islands / White Mountains all the way to the U.S. / Mex. Border..

If the next storm does drop snow levels to 4000 ft as suggested earlier, that would put white stuff on top of the Superstitions east of town, maybe briefly dust highest peaks in the San Tans ( closest to / visible from the house ), Quartz Peak in the Estrellas southwest of South Mountain, and Newman Peak down by / across from Picacho Peak.. That's plenty close enough ...Frosty, White Death can stay up there, lol:mrlooney:

Spent part of the day getting all the extra -valuable seedlings / other high priority stuff together that i'll likely bring in Thursday or Friday. 

71.2F at 11:25 a.m. Calm wind, sparkling blue sky and sunshine.

Merry Christmas to all.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

83F clear ,low tonight 62F

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

My microclimate is working well tonight.

Screenshot_20181227-012652_Weather.thumb

Here is at the actual house

20181227_013125.thumb.jpg.26581bda7f6d0b

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

68F and sunny at 1pm CST. Last pleasant day before the next arctic blast arrives. 

81F in Brownsville and 30F in the panhandle 

dec27.JPG.6bf6f8190f14395853c52dcdd2f1c8

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Well here in Phoenix, it’s freeze warning eve. The next week calls for lows in the low (31/22f) to mid 30s and highs in the 50’s and low 60’s. I’ve protected the royals and a couple of dypsis and a P. Elagans. 

I hate this weather and hope everything pulls through will little to no damage. 

12 hours ago, Xenon said:

68F and sunny at 1pm CST. Last pleasant day before the next arctic blast arrives. 

81F in Brownsville and 30F in the panhandle 

Pretty warm, although a bit cloudy and rainy, here for the next 5 more days before the next dip in temperatures. 

823BF1D1-22D9-444F-8336-A1B569992D71.png

Edited by Estlander

We had a low of 6c/42.8F before dawn. 

They're calling for another cold spell for tomorrow around the same time.

But come Sunday, low temps should hover in the upper 50's again.

20181229_130215.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Low of 70F this morning and already 81F, January 1, 2019 at 10:25 AM with 73% humidity. Better than summer but cooler would be nice. 

We will get our cold weather before the end of the day! CM, so will you but you crack me up! Happy New Year to All!

What you look for is what is looking

Currently 58ºF at 10:41 PM

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC