IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

At my place we bottomed out at 38F lowest this winter, nearby anna maria island on the gulf hit 45F for a low.  My "canaries in a coalmine" (10b) dictyosperma album conjugatum (furfuracea) seedlings in 3-7 gallon pots, out in the open, look unfazed.  

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

It got down to 48 here, maybe a couple of degrees colder in different spots around town.  It felt pretty cold out there.  1st time in the forties for the season.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A balmy 50F with rain since 6AM this morning.  Temperatures have been pretty much constant, but the wind and dampness makes it feel a lot colder that the ambient air temperature.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

A horrible cold day here today as we go into the coldest depths of winter. The max was only 3.2C / 38F with a cold northeasterly wind blowing most of the day due to the high pressure block that has been in place for weeks now, sending freezing cold winds down from Scandinavia. London barely scraped 4C / 40F today. I have a low of +1-2C / 35F forecast tonight, so I should escape a frost due to the cloud cover and also due to how dry it currently is. Like it is exceptionally dry again here, just like November was.  

The last measurable rainfall here was 16 days ago now. Up to the 25th January, I have only recorded 4mm / 0.1 inches of rainfall so far, with less than a week left to go. This will probably go down as another exceptionally dry and abnormal month akin to November 2021, April 2021, May 2020, April 2019, June 2018, October 2017, April 2017, July 2016, June 2015 etc. All those months had less than 0.2 inches of rainfall. A few had 0.0 inches. All in quite close proximity. Lots of abnormally dry months in recent years, with April especially standing out.

It seems that any month could potentially be the driest, or the wettest. However the period of April - June definitely stands out as being the driest, or becoming increasingly likely to suffer drought months. Then again this November just gone only had 8mm / 0.3 inches of rainfall here and it looks like January will finish on about the same, or less, just 2 months later. So any month seems to have the potential to be ridiculously dry. Likewise though, any month could in theory be the wettest too. It can vary year on year, clearly. Erratic and unreliable rainfall patterns. England and wider UK totals don't reflect the southeast corner of England. 

2 weeks ago Judah Cohen predicted snow for us, which never came. The GFS model flopped on the snow forecast. There has been a total precipitation block in place due to the extreme high pressure in western Europe. Even if it is cold, which it has been, there is no chance of any snow or rain, even under cloud cover. It has been as dry as a bone.

A few days after Judah forecasted snow for the UK the extreme high pressure block really took hold...

The latest Euro (ECMWF) model suggests no rain for southern and central England going well into February. So basically there is no 'wet-cold' right now. Just cold and dry, but no temperatures below freezing, so not actually very cold in the grand scheme of things. The extreme dryness is the obvious talking point. ECMWF has no rainfall through to 4th Feb. I am currently on 4mm / 0.1 inches here, so it will potentially be the driest January on record. 

It's looking fairly mild and dry for London, given that this is supposed to be the depths of winter now at 51N. No frost at all in sight. Highs of 60F possible on Saturday...

354365253_Screenshot2022-01-26at02_25_33.thumb.png.0e26759c6684b102792e377cc9e803b3.png

Edited by UK_Palms

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

16 minutes ago, UK_Palms said:

A horrible cold day here today as we go into the coldest depths of winter. The max was only 3.2C / 38F with a cold northeasterly wind blowing most of the day due to the high pressure block that has been in place for weeks now, sending freezing cold winds down from Scandinavia. London barely scraped 4C / 40F today.

Interesting dynamic there, such dreary conditions for a place that's full of CIDP's, even cook pines, bougainvillea, citrus etc. according to the posts on this forum.

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

It's been weird here, cold days but not freezing.  Current temperature is 4.8ºC which feels balmy!  The last few days had highs between 3 and 4, lows around 2ºC, so constantly cold but sticking in a very narrow temperature range that is thankfully above freezing.  We are now coming into a run of more normal days now, 8-11ºC during the day, 5-9 overnight.

• Like 1

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

9 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Interesting dynamic there, such dreary conditions for a place that's full of CIDP's, even cook pines, bougainvillea, citrus etc. according to the posts on this forum.

Given that we are in the depths of winter now and the coldest part of the year, it isn’t too bad. Especially given the 51N latitude. I mean the temperature range for London is in the 5-15C range with no frosts over the next 10 days.

It’s also bone dry here minimising the effects of wet-cold. So very benign, almost boring conditions really. Relatively cool and overcast but also exceptionally dry. Zero wind too. Southern and central England is the driest place in Europe right now and will probably get a whole lot drier looking at the forecast.

I suspect the lemon and orange trees will hold onto their leaves this winter in London, unless a polar vortex hits in February. I don’t think London City airport has gone below 0C / 32F this winter either and that was under dry conditions minimising wet-cold damage. Looking forward to spring now though and the first 20C+ day. 

• Like 2

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

Given that we are in the depths of winter now and the coldest part of the year, it isn’t too bad. Especially given the 51N latitude. I mean the temperature range for London is in the 5-15C range with no frosts over the next 10 days.

It’s also bone dry here minimising the effects of wet-cold. So very benign, almost boring conditions really. Relatively cool and overcast but also exceptionally dry. Zero wind too. Southern and central England is the driest place in Europe right now and will probably get a whole lot drier looking at the forecast.

I suspect the lemon and orange trees will hold onto their leaves this winter in London, unless a polar vortex hits in February. I don’t think London City airport has gone below 0C / 32F this winter either and that was under dry conditions minimising wet-cold damage. Looking forward to spring now though and the first 20C+ day. 

Yeah those prolonged cool/cold temps but not freezing won't hurt the CIDP's or citus etc.  It's just that mentally when you see a place where the climate supports them, you visualize nice cozy/warm conditions in the winter.

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

IMG_20220126_130949_1.jpg

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 hours ago, Xerarch said:

Yeah those prolonged cool/cold temps but not freezing won't hurt the CIDP's or citus etc.  It's just that mentally when you see a place where the climate supports them, you visualize nice cozy/warm conditions in the winter.

True, but nowhere is really considered 'warm' or 'cozy' in Europe during January, as evidenced by the blizzards recently in Athens at 37N and Istanbul at 41N. Both of those places are relatively palmy as well, by European standards. You probably have to go right down to the Canary Islands at 28N before you will see temperatures above 21C / 70F in January really. The extreme south coast of mainland Spain (36N) may reach 20C / 68F in January if you are lucky, but nowhere in Spain reached that figure today. Europe doesn't get as many temperature extremes, relative to latitude. 

Where you are in Texas, you seem to get more winter heat than anywhere in southern Europe along the Med with temperatures of 27C / 80F plus in January most years. Those sort of temperatures in mid-winter is practically unheard of anywhere in Europe. A high of 27C / 80F in the warmest parts of Europe would be record breaking. However you guys can also experience the exact opposite with extreme freezes, just a matter of days after 80F+ heat, as was the case in February 2021. Whereas Europe tends to be milder in general with less extreme heat and freeze events. Hence the absence of extreme cold in London, despite being up at 51N, which is the same latitude as Saskatoon, Canada pretty much. No doubt the Gulf stream plays a massive part. 

Today was one of those really torrid type mostly dry kinda days, but then a short sharp monsoonal squall/shower that delivered 6.4mm of rain in 6.4 mins.
January is the depths of the rainy season, a bit below average as of the 27th Jan, but may well end up about average by the end of the month.
Fairly uncomfortable humid day with DP's peaking at 27.2c at 3.00pm and a temp of +32c.
pHev8au.jpg
Loved the short sharp shower that brought some relief from the heat.
pvzehRh.jpg
QXyiIGT.jpg
51GEuzE.jpg

• Like 3

It’s currently 12C / 53F here with the faintest drizzle of rain that isn’t even measurable. I’m still stuck on 4mm / 0.1 inches for January with only 4 days left to go. An exceptionally dry month, given that January is usually one of my wettest months.

@Ryland How much precipitation have you recorded so far this January? It looks like some parts of England may have only recorded trace amounts so far with quite a few places on 1-2mm. Unbelievably dry for January here. Another winter without any snow for most of us probably, not that I am complaining.

Meanwhile in Jerusalem…

Edited by UK_Palms

Hey @UK_Palms I don't actually measure it, but from my recollection I can't remember the last rain this month... I think it must have rained at some point!  This does seem to happen every now and then, at any point in the year, where we get a run of 3-4 dry weeks.  Last June for instance was rainless here.  I'm quite happy with it, it's good for the palms.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

19 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Today was one of those really torrid type mostly dry kinda days, but then a short sharp monsoonal squall/shower that delivered 6.4mm of rain in 6.4 mins.
January is the depths of the rainy season, a bit below average as of the 27th Jan, but may well end up about average by the end of the month.
Fairly uncomfortable humid day with DP's peaking at 27.2c at 3.00pm and a temp of +32c.
pHev8au.jpg
Loved the short sharp shower that brought some relief from the heat.
pvzehRh.jpg
QXyiIGT.jpg
51GEuzE.jpg

27C dew points. Man that's sticky. Time to jump in the pool with a nice cold beer.

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A breezy 67-71F at 12:46pm around Chandler atm,  on the way to the lower 70s later,  under basically cloud free skies..  Strong winds across the area should die down as the disturbance causing them slips further into N.E. New Mexico overnight.. Low to mid 70s expected for the weekend / early next week, before temps pull back to the upper 60s Wed/ Thursday, as the forecast stands for now. 

If it holds as suggested, 70s return starting next Friday..  paving the way for what might be the year's  first couple days' stretch  of mid / upper 70s heading into the 2nd week of Feb.

Lows stay in the 40s thru Wed. morning, then back off a few deg. to the upper 30s Thurs. / Friday mornings next week.. before returning to the 40s beyond that, ..unless the forecast changes..

With a batch of high clouds heading our way from N. Baja and S. Cal thru the rest of the day, issuing a " Colorful Sunset Advisory " for the evening,. Another batch of high clouds further offshore may reach S. Cal shores by about sunset as well..

Sun will set after 6pm again starting next Wednesday..    Winter 21-22's finish line is now in sight..

• Like 2

Outperformed the forecast. Went under 40 for a few minutes but low was supposed to be 36. Now at 43 with an extremely low dew point and RH.

CD0055C9-1096-4740-98E2-A7FEBFB2CB5D.jpeg

F1110B0D-DBCA-478D-882D-78F403E2299A.jpeg

24FC97B3-3E35-4F0F-AFC9-24A826375E8B.jpeg

• Like 1

We managed to bust our predicted high of 50F pretty early.  All thermometers in the yard are showing 56F at this point.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

A balmy high of of 14C / 57F down here on Saturday with mild, sunny spring-like vibes. However the temperature has plunged tonight under clear skies, allowing a radiation frost for rural areas of southern England, like where I am here. I doubt Central London will drop below 3C / 38F though under the clear skies tonight.

temperature_max_2022-1-29_0Z_infoclimat_fr.thumb.png.2f33701a00637de036fdeb6528953c9c.png

14.9C / 59F the warmest and +5C / 41F the coldest temperature in the UK on 29/01/22, so nowhere below freezing. 

Still very dry and sunny this January...

We're right in the depths of winter now and London is totally frost free. Most protected parts of central London are probably 10a nowadays, given the stuff that is growing there...

359226671_Screenshot2022-01-30at07_12_28.thumb.png.3ff6bc53677d3746eed118bfcf350c46.png

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, EJ NJ said:

Why?

Why not?

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

It’s currently 15.7C / 60F here with gorgeous sunny skies. February starts off where January left off. Dry, sunny and mild. I notice both of my CIDP’s and my Washingtonia’s are actively growing. 

6462DD39-1610-496F-AE43-F640FFE80DEE.thumb.jpeg.8ede39d33e146431cf91b84cca11e06e.jpeg

It is exceptionally dry here now. I have only picked up 1mm of rainfall in the past 3 weeks. January finishes on 7mm / 0.2 inches here. Some official Met Office stations have only picked up 4mm (0.1 inches), most notably the Met station at Shawbury. Bearing in mind that November only had 8mm / 0.2 inches as well. 

8FE4FC8B-8119-4E46-BD7F-1B125805BE96.png.6f60dfc76395aea7fe5ce0d626d26bf1.png

So much for ‘rainy’ London…

Is this a London or Melbourne winter forecast? Nighttime temps especially mild for mid-winter at 51N, given that it is inland away from the coastline. Exceptionally dry as well. No rainfall in 10 day forecast due to high pressure blocking. 

A5AFA10B-63E8-4F64-AE8F-245315225C86.thumb.png.40c3de6d62070f61d26b91189ac54c75.png

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

60-63F around town at 11:37AM.

A mild, start to February as an inside slider- type disturbance skirts east south east across the northeastern corner of Arizona..  While we might see a sprinkle or two, northeastern corner of the state might see some flakes, w/ most of the moisture associated w/ this system headed into New Mexico and TX.  Biggest impact from this system as it moves out will be some breezes and colder air getting dragged down into the state.  This is the same system that will bring snow/ ice/ serious cold further east thru the week, and ...what is looking like a prolonged period of offshore conditions to California at times ( as a few other inside slider systems pinwheel through the Great Basin / Inter-mountain West over the next week/ 10 days.. )  Aside from this system, no real chances for rain, ..either here or in California for at least the next 10 days..

Highs locally go from the mid / upper 60s ( maybe 70 if it clears out sooner today ) to the low 60s.. maybe only reaching 59F on Thursday, before warming again starting Friday onward. Highs should be back to the low / mid 70s by this time next week, and may make a run at 80 later next week / weekend, - if the current, longer range forecast doesn't flip again..  May see another 2-3 day stretch of sub 40 lows here.. with some areas outside of town / areas around Tucson maybe seeing a light frost/ 2-3 day shot at lows below 32F both Thursday and Friday mornings.

..Not a big deal though.. Pretty typical for the start of Feb.  We'll see if that is the last opportunity for frost for the month / rest of our " winter "  ..There are still some signs a stretched out lobe of the Polar Vortex could try to swing south / southeast through the west mid - month, before more sustained warmth may return after the 20th..  PNA is also teetering on staying positive/ taking another quick dip around the same time..

At the same time, seeing upper 80 - 90 / 90+ readings returning to the coastal plain of Sinaloa / far Southern Sonora, and some areas on the east side of Mexico in some model runs ..so the heat isn't far off..  Just a matter of how soon it starts getting drawn north.  20th of the month will be here in no time,  and the threat of any serious cold fades quickly each day there after, even though brief, damaging frosts/ freezes have occurred as late as the 1st 10 days in March.

As the " suggested " lobe of the polar vortex that may rotate through the west sometime around mid- month starts getting nudged east, if it doesn't get shifted further east in future forecasts,  could bring another big surge of cold air to TX and areas to the east..  Something to watch..

As a caveat, while we avoid any serious cold, Flagstaff will see 2-3 nights in the single digits / highs only in the 20s.

• Like 1

Feb 1, 2022

2:10 PM PST 

19C

They're calling for the chilliest low of this winter for tonight/tomorrow dawn @ 6C

• Like 1

Currently 14.1C / 57F here at midday.

As well as being the driest January on record in parts of England, it was also officially the sunniest January on record for England and the 3rd sunniest on record for the wider UK. 

Shoeburyness, about an hour east of London, clocked up 103 hours of sunshine in January. That is ridiculous for mid-winter at 51N, given how short the days are at this time of year. It’s also supposed to be one of our wettest months too. Shoeburyness also recorded 2,200+ hours of sunshine in 2020, so it is arguably the sunniest spot in the UK. 

Temperatures were actually slightly below average in London and southern England, especially nighttime minimums, due to the constant clear skies and prolonged radiation cooling at night. Despite both the mean and minimum temperatures being below average, the lowest temperature recorded at London City Airport was still only 0C / 32F. Outside of southern England, the UK in general had average or warmer than average nights, due to cloud cover. Scotland was certainly warmer then average, especially at night.

46CAC353-0DAA-48B2-AAC5-A0FB9DAEEE04.png.79568ff85eb8b02847544a0b6da1ffcc.png

8E964EDB-CD5B-4736-81DE-E70402D934C0.jpeg.a2dce7bc15e0123667b5a0b957ee7fcf.jpeg

Edited by UK_Palms

A cool and breezy 58F at 1:08PM under full sun..  Will we make it to 60 today?..  Or   tomorrow?  For the most part, yesterday's thoughts on the forecast for the rest of the week / heading into next week are on track..

The pain:
Starting tonight, another round of cool nights for the rest of the work week..  Currently forecast to land somewhere between 33-35F tonight / tomorrow night ..Upper 30s - 40/41 for Sat / Sunday mornings.. Sitting just outside of where a Freeze watch is up for the area to the south. Dew points locally crash to as low as -2 to-5 tonight/ tomorrow, which might limit frost coverage, here at least..  We'll see how low it goes.   Lows for Tucson have also trended down a hair.  Many areas there will spend at least a night in the mid/ upper 20s before moderating thru the 30s over the weekend/ early next week..

Rural areas further east of Tucson will see some lower 20s / high teens.. darn Cold, but fairly typical occurrence for those areas of the state.. Some cold nights for parts of California as well over the next couple nights..

The payoff:
Back to the 70s starting Sunday or Monday.. Mid to upper 70s by this time next week.. Chance of the first 80F reading for the year is still suggested just beyond next Friday. 

Looking further out, < going w/ WX Underground's forecast >, could be a warm late winter week around S. Cal ( maybe for the Bay Area/ Central Valley too ) next week..

While Accuweather's current, longer term forecast would suggest keeping things mild/ warm n' dry here beyond next weekend, we'll see how well that forecast pans out ( the warm part anyway ).  That said, for the next 5-8 days at least, forecasts from it,  WX Underground,  and our local NWS are running pretty close to one another.   Voodoo i'll tell ya,  haha..

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in southern England... :bemused:

Not sure who these guys are, but this is pretty insane (expletive warning). 

There was another fire in my county on Tuesday, just 10 miles down the road from me. Both of these fires were about 15 minutes drive from my location. 

We desperately need some rain as it is bone dry here. I have only registered 1mm over the past 3-4 weeks now and there doesn't look like much, if any, rainfall in the extended forecast. It is almost certainly the driest start to a year on record for me here and for southern England in general. This is also the earliest I have seen the fires start around here. Usually they don't start flaring up until about April, so that's obviously a bit concerning. 

Edited by UK_Palms

Some screen shots from around the area this morning..  Can see where a few areas on the east side of Tucson got down into the teens, very close to nearby areas that stayed in the upper 20s/ or didn't even hit freezing.

Wasn't able to grab them in time but areas around San Jose and Vista / Escondido out in Cali.  were running around the same temps as here in Chandler/ around the East Valley this morning as well. 

Closest neighborhood station to the house settled at 36F around 7am.. Did not see any frost ..on anything when i walked out into the yard around 7:30 ( AM ). Already back to 49F at 10:10AM

Chandler proper:

107680855_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-53-43ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.21feeb92ef16ed5d2bce9dfebc4f6f50.png

Overall East Valley:
1454751324_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-56-17ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.96b7c73e60b2c5ae1bc098198eeb320c.png

West side.. of the East Valley:
1351486074_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-57-23ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.02d3783b3688e96648c4f4e20552ef6e.png

San Tan / Queen Creek:
511537045_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-54-29ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.df34caffa57598f8dc53364b9e2faa4d.png

Tucson area:

Tucson proper ( in / around downtown ) Tumamoc Hill / " A " Mountain

1863168425_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-49-20ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.c77304627e7768cf8d4365b5d743f91e.png

East side ( Tanque Verde / Saguaro Nat. Park East, Agua Caliente Park area )

1448498457_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-44-51ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.bec26d5d05beb444ff11fc6ca46110e1.png

North side:  Casas Adobes / Tohono Chul Park area..

1629803714_Screenshot2022-02-03at07-50-10ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.31f48d12e8615f8138ae457945b23478.png

• Like 1

A cold 42 degrees right now, headed for 30 tonight/tomorrow morning in my part of town in Corpus, I suppose I'll still score it a win if that's as cold as it gets for the season.  We shall see.

• Like 1

3:19PM:  Current conditions around the area on a chilly Thursday. Don't think we'll crack 60F:

1455813111_Screenshot2022-02-03at15-01-10ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.thumb.png.063e9d315df8d4e29747df485b8dd55e.png

Minor day to day fluctuations aside,  pretty much how the 10-day is looking right now.. Yes, the graph for this afternoon is correct, Current dew point is wavering right around zero.  That's some seriously dry air..

848118593_Screenshot2022-02-03at15-01-43ChandlerAZ10-DayWeatherForecastWeatherUnderground.png.c81d35a055911206e6933081f0eed72f.png

• Like 1