IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

After another afternoon back in the mid 60s, One more night of sub 40F chill before lows return to the mid / upper 40s to low 50s for the end of the week, into next week. Highs should be back to about 70-72F by Thursday,  and beyond.

• Upvote 1

After an exceptionally mild end of December we are now in for some proper cold (at least as far as that goes around here).  There are clear skies - it was a fabulous sunny day (great for hanging the washing out to dry in the sun) - but it's now 0.7ºC (33ºF) and we are headed for around -1ºC (30ºF) or so... maybe an update tomorrow.  This will be the third frost of the winter, not too bad for early January.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Just now, Hutch said:

Still.....raining...51 now....my property has water everywhere...!

Same here except the pineapple express hasn't hit me yet.  Just moving into the area now.  Currently 39 will be waking up to low 50s.

• Like 1

A very warm 28C/82F day. Sun is shining really nicely!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

65F at 10:45AM, on the way to 72-74 later..   While forecast earlier, looks like a slow moving storm that was suggested for mid to late week isn't going to develop as thought, or will stay well southwest of Baja before filling in and basically having little or no impact on the weather here, unless something changes - again-

.. Stays dry and less cloudy / clear  all week,  highs could remain in the low to mid 70s thru at least Friday or Saturday ..possibly into next Monday  ..before settling back to 67-69 range the first half of next week.. Lows cool a bit, w/ some nights cooling back to the lower 40s later..

Keeping an eye on the longer range as the 06Z GFS was hinting at bring back some pretty cold air to the Pac N.W. / rain to CA. again.. Been some other talk of  -some sort - of pattern change / re-adjustment -again- late month/ start of Feb. over the weekend also ..but,  as usual, just have to see what happens..  One model run in, ends up as junk when the next is out..  < shrugs >

Another nice California day!

0cdafb.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Jan/11/2022  1:21PM PST

30C

• Like 2

Another high of 30C

IMG_20220112_154754_1.jpg

• Like 3

66F at 6:39 AM. Cooling down this weekend with 75F/55F California weather! Next week California weather continues as we approach our lowest temperature all Winter of 50F!

• Like 2

What you look for is what is looking

Luckily the rattlesnakes here don't like the forest, and the cats and chickens help keep them away.

The funny thing is a new neighbor from a west coast state that shall not be named, just cut down cut down about a half acre of 150+ year old oak trees because they are afraid of snakes. Those trees are home to snake predators and the increase in lawn will attract all sorts of rodents. :bemused:

IMG-20220113-WA0081.jpg

• Like 1

16422113965956514710492162206253.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_20220115_233244_1.jpg

• Like 1

Currently 34.6F with slight winds. Much different from the 40 to 50MPH gust of the past 24 hours.

Edited by amh

70F here at 7:00am and as of 8am a really fast moving low cloud deck moving east with moderate rain as the squall line approaches from the west.  Winds gusting to near gale force and winds up to 50 mph in gusts expected within the hour.

-Michael

• Like 2

I see Perth hit 41.7C. Gooseberry Hill 42.1C and may go higher.

We got to 32C down here with humidity. The dew point maxed out at 19.7C and is back around 18.5C now. Tomorrow’s meant to be marginally warmer so I may go to the beach tomorrow after work. It doesn’t often get warm enough down here to say that but when it does you’ve got to drop everything and make the most of it. 

• Like 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

62 at 11: 07AM,  on the way o the upper 60s/ low 70s later on, depending on how much cloud cover stick around on this side of the valley as another upper level disturbance brushes the state to the east.. For now,  Temps hang in ..pretty much the same range we've been in the first half of the month: mid/ upper 60s to the lower 70s  ..for the rest of the week / into next week.. 

Forecast as we close out Jan/ start Feb. could remain the same, or start the new month with another cool-ish spell as the PNA takes another dive:
pna.sprd2.gif

Then again.. both the AO  And NAO look to stay in positive territory, -for now-  ....so maybe things don't revert to the cool / wet pattern we experienced to start the year..  ( All 3 index were Neg. at that time )
ao.sprd2.gif

NAO:
nao.sprd2.gif

Some hints weather to start Feb could go either way among model runs, so,  ..wait and see..   Either way,  unless something changes of course,  not looking like we'll see a repeat of the low/mid 80F readings we saw last year to start Feb '22.. ( Booo!, haha ) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Perth Airport hit 41.3C and Pearce got to 42C with very low humidity. Down here in Albany we nearly hit 34C with humidity at that point around 38% RH but as the temp dropped the dew point came up to just about 21C (70F) with RH in the 60% range. Not as dry or hot but still hot. I'm going to the beach after work. 

• Like 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's -0.5ºC just now, making this the fifth frost of the winter, the third frost of January.  It shouldn't be problematic, only went below freezing at 6am and with the days getting longer, sunrise is at 8:15 which will soon warm us up a little - it's just behind the adjacent building at the moment.  Only expecting 5ºC today though, so it's a cold day for here.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Sitting at 42F right now, equal to the coldest I've been this whole season so far.  At this time I don't think I'll go below freezing at my location, but it isn't going to be pretty, extended time at cool temps, chance of sleet and/or freezing rain around town tonight, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Deep South Texas is getting the brunt of the cold this morning with similar readings across the board (33-34F McAllen, 33F Brownsville, 34-35F South Padre) accompanied by heavy clouds and cold rain so I'm assuming damage to even newly planted Adonidia should be minimal. 

Meanwhile Houston-Galveston is sitting in the upper 30s with Galveston having the warmest reading in the state at 42F. 

The clouds are sticking around through tonight/tomorrow from about Corpus south keeping that area well above freezing while north of there not on the immediate coast is forecast to get whacked with a radiational freeze. Well everywhere except urban core Houston which will probably narrowly escape freezing for the second time this season. 

image1.png.85356f66b2c20b0e105e4a1cde1c49ac.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

38 degrees in my back yard right now after bottoming out at 36 which is right around where I was expecting/hoping, no sign of that sleet or frozen rain the news kept talking about (fine with me, I moved here to escape that garbage), I think there was a bit of that further inland. But yeah the surprise this morning was that Brownsville/S Padre were both colder than me, saw a few 32's around Brownsville and some 34's on SPI.  Nothing to derail the tropical recovery currently in progress.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

32F at sunrise, not too bad at all. NWS was calling for 29F, TWC 30F. 

33F in urban core Houston; would've expected it to be slightly warmer than that. 

Consistently warmest spots: south shore of Galveston Bay and the bayfront near-west end of Galveston Island and Tiki Island at 35-36F. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Jan/23/2022

11:40 PM PST

13C / 55F

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1