IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

UK Palms, very mild on this side of the pond too, NJ,  a bit shy of 41 N. lat. here. Could also be record warm on New Years's 60 F., nights have mostly been above freezing. It was also a record-breaking summer here in terms of precip, about 30 inches (762 mm) from July to September.  I see they are calling for some very cold temps in Quebec in the extended (sometimes I check their weather to see what might be incoming), I don't understand temps in Celsius, so I converted the temps to Fahrenheit, and it felt even ruder.  Fortunately, the Canadians are being good neighbors and  keeping the dam! barn door CLOSED for now!  And last year, when they sent the temps down to 0 F. on the GULF OF MEXICO, my absolute minimum was 14 above, so I am not complaining. We live in interesting times, I guess.

18 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

2:45am PST.   28 of December 2021:

11C/52F

Its raining cats and dogs.

IMG_20211228_024305_1_copy_3686x2073.jpg

I don’t remember a stretch in SAN with so many days that the highs didn’t even get above 60. Wonder what I’m gonna lose between the cool and damp…. Ugh.

• Like 1

Just woke up as I fell asleep quite early and the temperature is currently 16C / 60F at 4am here. It looks like the December record high minima is going tonight with a low of 15C / 58F now being forecast. If I’m not mistaken, it is going to be the warmest winter night on record too for England. It will be interesting to see what the Met Office confirm as the ‘official’ lows. Either way it is positively balmy for 51N in late December. 

262C18C0-C40A-479F-B1E1-23069B9FFF1B.thumb.jpeg.2aeac0f7617d7bc7f8a6f1b6187c26d0.jpeg

Here are the 4am temps across Europe right now...

1026337682_europe_now(1)22.jpg.c4b24a5b76cfd896041322a696021a07.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 3

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

78492BCF-A0EF-4991-A0EB-FF7F81E4DD87.thumb.jpeg.1a85c0a775e3472a81697316e7876f41.jpegHigh today in my garden! Not bad for the end of December! The hottest day should be January 1st then we're expecting a quick cooldown and burian by the second half of January 

• Like 2

A cool, humid, and cloudy start to the final 48 hours of 2021 ( 55F at 11:39 AM )..  While the forecast high today is somewhere between 60-62F, we'll see if we get there.. Rain chances ramp up after sunset as the next ..and possibly final.. storm in this series  heads towards the area overnight, and thru the day tomorrow..

As impressive as it looked earlier on, looks like this storm won't be quite as strong as previously forecast, not here at least..  Highest rain totals may end up falling closer to the AZ / Mex. border, and further south into neighboring Sonora / Sinaloa over the next 2 days. That said, still could see .25" - .75" locally,   w/ 1-2" ( maybe isolated totals near 3" ) in foothill areas northeast and east of Phoenix.  Some thunder, maybe isolated hail are also possible later tomorrow here and east of Phx..  Snow looks good for the high country state-wide, w/ a light dusting in spots possible as snow levels drop to about 5,200ft overnight tomorrow / early Sat. as any lingering showers at that time wrap up. 

.." Some changes " after that..

After a cold start to 2022, looks like a well hinted at change in the overall pattern may finally shift this cold, stubborn trough over the west east as we head through the first week of the new year..  For now,  rain chances locally all but shut down next week, w/ temperatures starting a steady climb back to seasonal / slightly above seasonal by next weekend..  While just a hint, for now at least, Last night's 00Z GFS was hinting at a pretty quick climb back to the upper 60s ( likely, ..by the end of next week )  to the lower 70s around the same time, and beyond ( We'll see.. maybe, but.. ) Same model run was also hinting at 80s returning to the low  low Deserts ( El Centro / Mexicali area ) / maybe a few days near 80 in / around Los Angeles sometime around /after the 10th.. Might be a stretch right after such a cool/ wet spell, but,  we'll see..  I'm fine w/ that   -if that is the case-  Stuff is starting to germinate, and got more things going down soon..

As i looks right now, Rainy pattern hangs on over Nor. Cal a bit longer, but same moderating / drying trend expands to the rest of the state over time.. Pac. NW. should get out of the freezer -finally-  too..

At this point, while the core of the cold eases east, we'll see if it is more transient, or hangs around... Does look the trend is for colder, overall,  across the Midwest / Northeast vs. across the south ( esp Cen. / So. FL. & S. TX. )

As for the weekend cold here,  All forecasts still point to Sunday morning being the coldest, area - wide ( 31-33F forecast here, 29-33F for the outlaying areas around town / Tucson area ) Won't be surprised if  "actual" lows Sunday morning bottom out a deg. or two cooler.  Monday morning should be a couple deg. warmer, but still present plenty of frost potential.  Tues/ Wed Morning look chilly, but w/ less frost potential ( 36-38 forecast currently here ).. Back to the 40s ( maybe milder, if today's 12z GFS < WX. Underground > pans out ) after that..  All in all, cold, but typical.  ..No " Apocalyptic  cold " headed for the desert..  California, S. Cal. esp.  follows a similar trend.

How long / how much the pattern switches around as we head toward the middle / latter half of Jan?, ..we'll have to wait and see.. Don't rush to bet the house on any one mid / longer term forecasts, they're all pretty crappy right now.

Some interesting thoughts regarding ENSO, and what the possible implications might be for Hurricane season next summer.. ** If  ** the pattern in the Tropical Pacific head in an El Nino direction over the coming months. Need to see an upward trend of more WWB's , and robust Kelvin Wave generation.  I'm all for it if it means a hyper active E. Pac. Hurricane season that unloads -with a vengeance- over Sonora, AZ, S. CAl., UT, and N.M.  come August, September and October next year..:yay: Last year's Wet summer was all Monsoon circulation, w/ very little Tropical storm -related ..anything..

Could change of course, but , For now,   Looks like it is back to your regularly scheduled, mild to slightly warm, AZ winter weather..  ...And better weather for the rest of the west..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

Its a balmy and cloudy 38F. 

Lol.....its feeling down right warm here 41..! ..UK palms that's just ridiculous...Whats  going on...just flat out hot or cold type pattern no moderate stuff..!

3 minutes ago, Hutch said:

Lol.....its feeling down right warm here 41..! ..UK palms that's just ridiculous...Whats  going on...just flat out hot or cold type pattern no moderate stuff..!

Yep,  There are apparently a couple brush fires in / around Boluder, CO. atm combined w/ 60-100mph winds..  on Dec. 30th     ..And  ..They've apparently only had 1"  ..1 INCH.. of snow so far this winter.. 

It seems that whatever type of winter we’re having in the PNW the UK tends to have the opposite. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chester B said:

It seems that whatever type of winter we’re having in the PNW the UK tends to have the opposite. 

I was going to comment on this the other day as it is something I have also noticed. When you guys warm up again next week in the PNW we are due to cool down quite a bit again in northwest Europe. So there definitely appears to be a correlation, whether that is due to jet stream positioning, the Gulf Stream or Newton’s Law, like how ‘for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction’ across the pond. 

I have also noticed this in other seasons too, like when you guys had the record heat in June and we pretty much had our coldest, wettest June on record as well as the coldest summer solstice on record. In fact the past 2 days here have actually been warmer than it was on June 21st, the longest day, believe it or not. I’m not sure whether that says more about how cold late June was for us, or whether it says more about how mild late December has been for us. 

My low last night came in at 12C / 54F. St James Park in London only went down to 13.4C / 56F. Manchester at 53N was the mildest place in the UK overnight with a low of 13.5C / 56F. I wonder what @Ryland recorded there in Manchester? Nowhere in the UK reached freezing overnight, not even in the Scottish highlands at 56-57N.

AEBED917-78C7-4C44-8EAD-B011756A8ED5.thumb.jpeg.fb7164c42b3945727c1d221ea631ff0f.jpeg

905BD557-F11F-4E5B-A9A4-8BF474BB9971.png.ff24a80ffd669d499e604699411139af.png

Some very mild temperatures across Germany as well last night which surely broke some records. 

3AE310F7-87C4-42B5-BCCD-F0B6F7D6A53B.png.f4fdf250f60bf1d0062c05a4f6f2f880.png

The sun is now coming out and the temperature will obviously rise further as it has only just gone midday here. There are highs of 16-17C being forecast, but will we actually reach that? London City airport is currently at 16C / 60F with another 2-3 hours of heating to go. Tomorrow (New Years day) looks like it may be the warmest day potentially. I am actually wearing shorts today at work haha on New Years Eve at 51N.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

Maxed out at 27.1 today! An absolute record for this time of the year, which tends to be the coldest of all winter. 2022 seems to be starting the right way all tho everything could change in the matter of days based on my climate's variability.

A6BA76A1-F1CC-44A2-B02D-27AD38E4549D.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi @UK_Palms it has indeed been very mild (though the week surrounding Christmas was cold.  Last night's low was 12.8ºC (55ºF) here.  The last few days have been well into the teens but we had a few cold weeks in December, including a cold day only reaching 3.2ºC (November was colder than normal though, had a bitter day of only 0.4ºC near the end of the month).

I've just run my most recent stats from the weather station in my garden.  I'm a few hours early so I'll have to rerun the December figures tomorrow (not going to see any difference though).

This is what 2021 looked like here:

image.thumb.png.54694ac6d49ade40d4a4c23f34535fff.png

The main takeaways for me are:

• Colder than normal months in January, May, August, and November - May was especially abysmal (in 2020 it averaged 20ºC for the highs across the month, for comparison)
  • Warmer than normal months in June, July, and September
  • The rest of the year was pretty average
  • 2 days below freezing in November didn't match the cold we had in February, so the -2.7ºC reading in February was the coldest for 2021
  • Only 8 nights below freezing across the entire year: 4 in February, 2 in April, 2 in November
  • Notice that nighttime temperatures are much milder than those recorded at nearby Met Office stations which are exclusively in rural, frostier areas
  • It's funny that the warmest temperature in August was lower than the average high across the whole of July - in fact, September being warmer than August is very unusual

You'll notice some differences compared to what you've observed down south, in particular we had a glorious June this year.  I don't track rainfall, but it's generally been pretty normal from my own observations except that it didn't rain in June at all.

Here's the same in ºF:

image.thumb.png.c91a1fcff752cd7588839c2fa15bed3c.png

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Currently 30 degrees out.

Tonight's the night. It will probably be the coldest night of the year here. Temps will dip down to the single digits for the first time in two years. Wish me luck!

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 2

Currently 55°F (12.7°C) with 87% humidity where I live in Arizona. Plus a whole bunch of rain. Supposed to keep raining into the new year. 

20211231_152731.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

Currently 55°F (12.7°C) with 87% humidity where I live in Arizona. Plus a whole bunch of rain. Supposed to keep raining into the new year. 

20211231_152731.jpg

You out in San Tan?.. Barely anything here in Chandler.. Looks like the E. Valley is about the only part of town getting more than just sprinkles ( per current radar ).  Be ready for tomorrow night / Sunday night's frost / freeze..  Upper 60's/ low 70s are back by next Thurs / Fri.

@Silas_Sancona i live SE of Casa Grande. We were getting hammered with some good rain. I know, thankfully the temp will rise back up those days. Going to have to protect some younger palms i have. Expected lows the next 4 nights are 46, 27, 29 and 32..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZ_Palm_Guy said:

@Silas_Sancona i live SE of Casa Grande. We were getting hammered with some good rain. I know, thankfully the temp will rise back up those days. Going to have to protect some younger palms i have. Expected lows the next 4 nights are 46, 27, 29 and 32..

Looked like the heavier stuff would reach the house, but sat just south of the county line as it has moved east..  For now, doesn't look like there's more than some showers left to move through for the rest of tonight.

Lowest we're supposed to go is 32-33 Sunday morning / ..a deg. or two warmer both Monday and Tuesday morning ( PHX Wx office ).. Wx underground keeps flip flopping ( Now has tomorrow night at 34 / Sunday night at 32 / Tues. morning at 34 < was suggesting 31 for Monday  earlier, lol >

• Like 1

I recorded a max of 16.2C / 61F here today, although the highest 'official' reading was 15.8C / 60F in England. Either way it is the mildest New Years Eve on record. The sun came out in force around 1-2pm as well and it was clear skies until sunset. If only every New Years eve was like this one!

I think the mild nights are more significant than the mild days. Some places are seeing 13-14C / 56-58F for nighttime lows as we go into January at 51N. 

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

You out in San Tan?.. Barely anything here in Chandler.. Looks like the E. Valley is about the only part of town getting more than just sprinkles ( per current radar ).  Be ready for tomorrow night / Sunday night's frost / freeze..  Upper 60's/ low 70s are back by next Thurs / Fri.

We've had steady rain on and off up here in Wickenburg for pretty much the last two days.  I think I read somewhere it was like 1.1" or something.

Weather Underground forecasts the station closest to my house will hit 29F tonight.  I'm expecting a wet, frosty 25F down in my yard.  We'll find out in the morning!  Coldest night of the year so far!  Protected my three young Copernicia alba just because they're so small, my Phoenix roebellenii because it's a weak ass palm so, duh, and my Beaucarnea recurvata and Aloe hercules more out of an abundance of caution than anything.  Both should be fine with those temps - and even if cold damaged would just regrow heads anyways.

11 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I recorded a max of 16.2C / 61F here today, although the highest 'official' reading was 15.8C / 60F in England. Either way it is the mildest New Years Eve on record. The sun came out in force around 1-2pm as well and it was clear skies until sunset. If only every New Years eve was like this one!

I think the mild nights are more significant than the mild days. Some places are seeing 13-14C / 56-58F for nighttime lows as we go into January at 51N. 

Do you have any official data on austria? I got to 19.3°C in my garden. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

Do you have any official data on austria? I got to 19.3°C in my garden. 

Has Austria got an official weather service, similar to how we have the Met Office here? Surely they will operate a bunch of 'official' stations that record data with professional equipment that is accurate. Then you can then use that as a comparison to your own recordings. The only problem with official stations is that they wont cover all areas, which means you may not get an accurate representation of temperatures in your area, which is why it helps to have both 'official' recordings and personal station recordings to compare.

Looking over the Austrian temperatures, I don't really see anything above 16-17C in the past 24 hours or so, although a limited number of 'official' stations will mean potentially higher temperatures could have been missed in your area. It doesn't mean your recording is inaccurate, but it does make it harder to verify and compare. I have looked at the historic data for your location on Wunderground, which defaults to Vienna International Airport, which reached 17C yesterday it appears. I think you need to take the highs from 3-4 personal stations in your town (via wunderground) and average them out. You probably did see 18-19C where you are, but it's hard to verify that now. Also do you record your temperature readings in the shade?

Already 82F at 10:30 AM headed up to 83F? It felt like 90F yesterday and will be hotter today and Sunday. For two days we drop to some more tolerable weather with a front and highs of 77°F with lows in the lows in the mid 60s F. Then back to highs in the low 80s F through at least January 10 and Tropical Tidbits shows continuation through  January 17. One hot winter but still cannot rule out the mother of all freezes…

What you look for is what is looking

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Already 82F at 10:30 AM headed up to 83F? It felt like 90F yesterday and will be hotter today and Sunday. For two days we drop to some more tolerable weather with a front and highs of 77°F with lows in the lows in the mid 60s F. Then back to highs in the low 80s F through at least January 10 and Tropical Tidbits shows continuation through  January 17. One hot winter but still cannot rule out the mother of all freezes…

et tu, bubba? Tempting the Fates? Alas...

• Like 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

First day of 2022 and the records are tumbling like dominos. Exceptional warmth in parts of the UK overnight as we went into the new year! Bearing in mind this is at latitude 50-57N. London is at 51N which is pretty much the same latitude as Saskatoon, Canada. The warmest nighttime temps (16C+ / 60F+) occurred at 53N at the same latitude as Edmonton, Canada.

Here, I dropped down to 12.8C / 54F by 11pm last night, however the temperature was back up to 15.7C / 60F at sunrise. A few places were nudging 17C / 63F overnight. Incredible. 

16.3C / 61F was the daytime max for England and the UK at St James Park, London. I recorded a max of 16.0C / 60F here with no UHI influence, but I saw quite a few unofficial stations in southwest London and northeast England reading 17C / 63F. Some hotspots were probably missed due to a lack of 'official' coverage. 

Reports of 18C / 64F readings in Wales overnight last night at 53N which is absolutely crazy. A lack of 'official' Met Office stations in that area will prevent it being confirmed as a UK record, but the recording is clearly pretty genuine. A retired meteorologist runs the station and a professional weatherman is reporting on it.

There are also provisional reports of 18C / 64F being recorded in Kyle of Lochalsh, Scotland on Saturday morning due to the Foehn Effect, however it doesn't look like there's an 'official' Met station near that location either. The 'Highland & Islands weather' account that is reporting the reading is pretty reputable. They probably did see 17-18C there, but it won't be confirmed.

803027845_thumbnail_image0(17).thumb.jpg.552c2154a01c6e93a9f61c8ba4a98f7d.jpg

Mean daily temperatures are off the charts for 31st December in central England...

It's impossible to go skiing anywhere in the UK right now. Not a single mountainous Met station has fallen below freezing for at least 72-96 hours now. Some have reached up to 12C / 54F. Even Drumnadrochit in the Scottish Highlands only went down to +3.8C / 39F which was the coldest place in the UK last night. 

The temperature is currently 13.3C / 55F here at 11pm, which means I have gone over 100 consecutive hours now since the temperature last dropped below 12C / 54F. That duration itself is surely another new record to add to the list, possibly for the whole of winter in general. More official records will probably follow or be announced over the next 12 hours or so.

I cut back my banana plants a few weeks back and they are all pushing out new leaves again and actively growing. The temps are due to drop off, starting tomorrow, with a colder spell forecast next week, but the latest GFS runs suggests another winter warm spell in mid-January for northern Europe. That could spell trouble for the PNW again? @Chester B

gfs_T2ma_eu_53.jpg.e6e1104a1a59ca754e3ba82329192a58.jpg

Edited by UK_Palms

Currently 13 out... oooph. Last night stayed above zero dipping all the way down to 1 degree for a split second in the coldest part of the yard.  The warmest area, on the south side near the patio, didn't go below 7 degrees. -2 at the airport. -5 at the lowest elevations in town (zone 6b to 7a transition).

I'm pretty sure the fatsia on the north side of my house is in for a rough recovery. The one on the south side actually looks really good and even perked up today when it got warmer.

I'm a bit bummed about the cold weather. Just need to move someplace warmer I guess lol.

Edited by ColdBonsai

66F almost midnight, downtown Houston is still in the mid 70s

Supposed to wake up to this :o

1368718904_image2(1).png.2590861618fbfff761241a59a6b7485c.png

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

19.3C / 67F at 2am all the way up at 53N during the early hours of January 1st. It's a professional station and operated by the retired meteorologist David Lee, so the recording is legit, otherwise Derek Brockway wouldn't be commenting on it either. There's no doubt they saw 19C / 67F there and possibly elsewhere.

Unfortunately the Met Office rule the roost these days and it won't be recognised by them due to it not being one of their own 'official' stations. There is an obvious lack of station coverage due to this, so the Met Office really need to add another 50 or so 'official' stations across the UK. That way records won't be missed!

1301522637_Screenshot2022-01-02at02_24_06.thumb.png.67b19ee602a6c9c93f608014ec934379.png

92814326_Screenshot2022-01-02at02_26_25.thumb.png.0719dc1eb48dff68448cebc87ea0a98d.png

715678450_Screenshot2022-01-02at14_57_17.thumb.png.ddda3fb85707caf83a57b44a63770eea.png

Edited by UK_Palms

On 1/1/2022 at 3:34 PM, UK_Palms said:

Has Austria got an official weather service, similar to how we have the Met Office here? Surely they will operate a bunch of 'official' stations that record data with professional equipment that is accurate. Then you can then use that as a comparison to your own recordings. The only problem with official stations is that they wont cover all areas, which means you may not get an accurate representation of temperatures in your area, which is why it helps to have both 'official' recordings and personal station recordings to compare.

Looking over the Austrian temperatures, I don't really see anything above 16-17C in the past 24 hours or so, although a limited number of 'official' stations will mean potentially higher temperatures could have been missed in your area. It doesn't mean your recording is inaccurate, but it does make it harder to verify and compare. I have looked at the historic data for your location on Wunderground, which defaults to Vienna International Airport, which reached 17C yesterday it appears. I think you need to take the highs from 3-4 personal stations in your town (via wunderground) and average them out. You probably did see 18-19C where you are, but it's hard to verify that now. Also do you record your temperature readings in the shade?

Yeah it was measure in shade. Probablybthe wood in the back heated up a bit from the sun. 

But it was definitely a warm day for this time of the year. 

As the sun rises on day # 2 of the month and new year, 35F was the low at 7:30AM.. Already up 3 deg at 8: 07AM..  Dead center in the forecast envelope..  Looking over Wx underground neighborhood data: While a few outlaying spots like San Tan Valley, Queen Creek, ..far south Chandler are seeing a few stations touching 29F, most stations around the east valley are in the 32-36F range currently.. 

Similar story down in Tucson.. Warmer spots around Casas Adobes, slopes of the Tucson Mountains to the west of I 10 mainly in the 30-35F range.. w/ a few, isolated readings in the upper 20s..  Low laying areas near the rivers / closer to downtown in the 28-33F range. Similar story on the less densely populated east side of town, out by Agua Caliente Park / Tanque Verde.

Looking further out, All wx stations i keep tabs on in California, ( San Jose, Vista, Escondido ) also bottomed out in in the 30s, w/ San Jose at 30, Vista 39, Escondido 33.

While forecast numbers may flip flop thru the day ( Wx underground data ), 33-36F looks good for tonight locally.  Monday night should add another 2-4 deg..  Back to the low/ mid 40s from Thursday onward..

For now, overall forecast for the first 7-10 days hasn't changed much.. mid 60s to low 70s should be good for highs under mostly clear skies. Tucson may beat us to the first lower middle 70s of the year..  Are some hints of a nuisance type storm trying to develop along the AZ / MEX. border on/ after the 10th, but we'll see how that plays out later..  No signs of a return to any cold / wet  ..yet..

Freeze warnings are rolling out all across southern Texas and Louisiana. Many locations saw their first freeze today and the forecast is calling for a hard freeze in much of inland southeast Texas and inland southern Louisiana.

NWS has both Houston and New Orleans possibly seeing a first freeze tonight at 31F and 33F. The immediate coast and deep south Texas should escape a freeze with readings in the mid 30s to 44F at South Padre. 

US.png.2ec46a4e500f4d004d69ca22f4582734.png

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Briefly hit 26-27F this morning but doesn't appear that way based on (lack of) damage. Stuff out in the open is fried but looks like mostly cosmetic damage to stuff like bananas. Minor tip damage to Ficus (70% leaves fried) and starfruit. 

Minor to no damage to unprotected stuff under canopy (papaya, jackfruit, mango, peppers, Colocasia, etc). Archontophoenix cunninghamia with partial canopy looks fine for now. 

If this is the coldest it gets I'll take it :P

I did protect the newly planted zone 10 stuff but probably wasn't necessary. 

PXL_20220102_220744430_MP.thumb.jpg.fdbbd4fbeeea17bf2f2adae8b0914783.jpg

Most of Houston proper only recorded a brief light freeze, 30-31F. Inner city areas (downtown, midtown, east Montrose, Museum District, Medical Center) managed to stay just above 32F. No freeze near Galveston Bay and the coast. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Just pouring rain and .....ugh...39....again....getting thrown around on the west coast...had 40 to 50 mph gust last night now flooding rains ..after snow..cmon!!#

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xenon said:

Briefly hit 26-27F this morning but doesn't appear that way based on (lack of) damage. Stuff out in the open is fried but looks like mostly cosmetic damage to stuff like bananas. Minor tip damage to Ficus (70% leaves fried) and starfruit. 

Minor to no damage to unprotected stuff under canopy (papaya, jackfruit, mango, peppers, Colocasia, etc). Archontophoenix cunninghamia with partial canopy looks fine for now. 

If this is the coldest it gets I'll take it :P

I did protect the newly planted zone 10 stuff but probably wasn't necessary. 

PXL_20220102_220744430_MP.thumb.jpg.fdbbd4fbeeea17bf2f2adae8b0914783.jpg

Most of Houston proper only recorded a brief light freeze, 30-31F. Inner city areas (downtown, midtown, east Montrose, Museum District, Medical Center) managed to stay just above 32F. No freeze near Galveston Bay and the coast. 

I've hit 25F a few times this season, but the ground was so warm that my bananas, canna, and other freeze sensitive plants were unharmed. Sunday/Monday changed everything, but it'll get colder, especially in February and early march.

• Like 1

59.5F low this morning at nearby Weather Station. High headed to 77F. Saw Tropical Tidbit runs showing cold penetrating Florida around January 21, 2022. Impossible right now to tell how far this cold air makes it down the peninsula. What Alan said…

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking