IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What is your current yard temperature?

GottmitAlex

First day of winter here today, we're in for some cold mornings which aren't much fun but the daytime temps are quite pleasant to work in. My coconut doesn't like this time of year but I do.

Screenshot_20210601-175705.png

• Upvote 1

It’s not even 11am yet here and local stations are already reading 24-27C across the board already. 

F0F94A4F-808B-4C4D-820F-93A6FDA4CF16.thumb.jpeg.bfcb8c12854cfe3d7198574811dc3fb3.jpeg

BBC have a high of 26C forecast today but it looks like it will exceed 30C in Surrey under the clear skies. There isn’t a cloud in the sky and things will continue heating up for another 5 hours.

E29C6633-0BF5-4ACD-BA5D-590FD347E676.thumb.png.14b9c0121b4319a7dd4a64eac46317d1.png

Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter. Under clear skies at this time of year, we will probably be looking at 30C+. One of the models is showing 33C for tomorrow. At least summer has arrived with a bang here, after a dreadful spring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

We are currently 74°F due to rain cooled air.  We just had a thunderstorm pass through and we got a little over 2" of rain.  That is on top of the 9.5" of rain we got last month (May).  I'm happy since we don't usually get this much rain this time of year.  The plants are also happy with everything being green.

My banana plants and my coconut are happy in the rain.20210601_094201.thumb.jpg.0fcf3d3d8e2d3d95c739cd1965f6c7a4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

A balmy 96F today. First 90 of the year. One more on tap tomorrow as well. 

• Like 1

28C / 82F in the garden at midday. Expecting 29-30C. Nearby Guildford is running 1-2C warmer. It's also starting to cloud over now though, which will limit the extent of continued heating. The temperature has actually gone down about 1C here over the past 15 minutes. The thermometer was reading 29C a few minutes earlier. 

thumbnail_image2-11.thumb.jpg.94b1571cbec9e8835a1d62c3ff6c6d9e.jpg

thumbnail_image1-24.thumb.jpg.0ffdf8df310e2c37e745c3e0bfe58e38.jpg

thumbnail_image0-44.thumb.jpg.09a163b443488d5f738812e68f1e3a82.jpg

Temperatures are widely in the 26-29C range at midday in Surrey. 

• Like 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

At long last summer seems to have arrived here.  It's currently 26C / 79F in deepest shade in my back garden and the cold and wet wintery May is behind us.  The Washingtonia's newest frond, which had slowed and concertinaed last month (basically leaf kept opening but it wasn't growing upwards so the leaf was all bunched up encircling the lower spear) has grown a full inch in a single day!  This is also nicely drying out the ground around the Brahea, which I planted at the worst possible time, thinking May was going to be a nice month like it usually is.

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

21 hours ago, Ryland said:

At long last summer seems to have arrived here.  It's currently 26C / 79F in deepest shade in my back garden and the cold and wet wintery May is behind us.  The Washingtonia's newest frond, which had slowed and concertinaed last month (basically leaf kept opening but it wasn't growing upwards so the leaf was all bunched up encircling the lower spear) has grown a full inch in a single day!  This is also nicely drying out the ground around the Brahea, which I planted at the worst possible time, thinking May was going to be a nice month like it usually is.

What was your low temperature last night Ryland? After a high of 29C yesterday, the temperature didn’t drop below 17.9C last night due to cloud cover, which has also limited the amount of solar heating this morning. I’m currently at 23C at midday here, but the skies are finally clear again now. I reckon it will get to 27C by 4pm.

Looks like potentially record breaking heat for June late next week as well, as the Azores high centres directly over us. Most forecast modes are in agreement on that. There may be a few 35-36C days for London and southeast. Possibly 37C. It could change between now and then though.

6810D5BE-0D8D-42D5-84DC-40A660984E17.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

What was your low temperature last night Ryland? After a high of 29C yesterday, the temperature didn’t drop below 17.9C last night due to cloud cover, which has also limited the amount of solar heating this morning. I’m currently at 23C at midday here, but the skies are finally clear again now. I reckon it will get to 27C by 4pm.

Warmest night of the year for me last night with a low of 16.4C.  Could have slept out in a hammock if I had one.  Today is cooler but still very pleasant at 20.7C highest so far, mostly due to some pretty heavy clouds for most of the day, sun breaking through only a few times (sounds similar to you, though it has not yet cleared here)  Another 3/4 inches of Washingtonia petiole has emerged since yesterday :D

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

A very chilly winter morning here, around 7c at dawn heading for a reasonably pleasant 21c.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11.4C at sun up going for 20C. So far we have been very mild for May June but wet. The sun will be out today so it may evaporate some of the standing water around this place. 

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

6 hours ago, Ryland said:

Warmest night of the year for me last night with a low of 16.4C.  Could have slept out in a hammock if I had one.  Today is cooler but still very pleasant at 20.7C highest so far, mostly due to some pretty heavy clouds for most of the day, sun breaking through only a few times (sounds similar to you, though it has not yet cleared here)  Another 3/4 inches of Washingtonia petiole has emerged since yesterday :D

Glad to see it warming up in the uk. Summer is a very valuable thing in your part of the world. Enjoy. 

• Like 5

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

June came in with a bang. Currently 93F halfway to the 11pm hour. High today hit 106F (41c) a couple degrees warmer registered in the garden. Overnight lows in 70s. 11% RH and ‘rising’ in the evening hours. 
i like this weather, though.  Things noticeably grow, everyday. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

June came in with a bang. Currently 93F halfway to the 11pm hour. High today hit 106F (41c) a couple degrees warmer registered in the garden. Overnight lows in 70s. 11% RH and ‘rising’ in the evening hours. 

Ya know lol, for some reason  i thought you were going to say you'd had a shower or two up there.. Looked like there was something going on in that part of the state earlier this week..  We were only a degree warmer than you here. 80s instead of 70s overnight though. 109-110+ stuff has been locked up over Havasu and Bullhead City -so far-. " Avoiding the real heat " may come to an abrupt end here around the 12th..  Current 14 day forecast is worth keeping an eye on too.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ryland said:

I only reached 25.7C on Thursday, which was my lowest maxima of the week. However it was quite humid and uncomfortable compared to recent days when it has been a much drier heat. Not nice to work in at all.

I have awoke to some rain here and I am only expecting a high of 20C at best here today. I’m looking forward to it though after a run of 28-29C days recently. The rain will do the plants and palms a lot of good. It’s due to warm up again over the weekend though.

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

11 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Ya know lol, for some reason  i thought you were going to say you'd had a shower or two up there.. Looked like there was something going on in that part of the state earlier this week

I wish haha. We have had some activity, but nothing has touched the ground. Nothing large either. 285789C1-8F0B-46FA-A6E4-3726B16CB327.thumb.jpeg.a26fd165900717d95c25ab274f6f87ab.jpeg

noted on the 14 day forecast it keeps changing as well. Definitely interesting.. 

• Like 1

A beautiful morning at the beach, only 21c but no wind and quite warm in the sun.

Screenshot_20210605-105731.png

• Upvote 2

On 6/4/2021 at 9:14 AM, RyManUtah said:

I wish haha. We have had some activity, but nothing has touched the ground. Nothing large either. 285789C1-8F0B-46FA-A6E4-3726B16CB327.thumb.jpeg.a26fd165900717d95c25ab274f6f87ab.jpeg

noted on the 14 day forecast it keeps changing as well. Definitely interesting.. 

GFS is worse than someone who can never make up their mind, -about anything- lol..

GEFS 840 hour runs are more Interesting.. Longer term " thoughts " have been more consistent, less ..all over the place, day to day..   Obviously, never a guaranteed outcome..

Today's 12z GFS " thoughts ":  ..First day of Summer? ..Ohh Boy! :bemused:  Model runs have been showing a little more consistency w/ the heat for mid/late month the last 36 hours, so..

gfs_T2m_swus_59.png.df63d3c9f0e1c6e214eb5c6996b96264.png

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

A pleasant high of 25.1C / 77F here today, but nowhere near as warm as it was a few days ago. It's actually a nice respite from the 28-29C days earlier in the week.

You just can't beat a walk in the woods at this time of year up here at 51N. It's not properly dark until about 11pm now either, so I can still walk through the woods unaided after 10pm. You won't need a torch until about 10:30pm. During the day it is so tranquil and shaded from the heat of the sun. I could never live in a big city as I would miss my forest walks too much. 

thumbnail_image1-26.thumb.jpg.4bb55568516729d3a878cdf4d36221ad.jpg

The ECMWF (European) model still has London down for 37C / 100F on 13th June. That's only a week away now. The June record currently stands at 35.6C / 96F, so it may well go. 

ecmwf_T850a_eu_9.jpg.727992934591b23dc57e92822e03cab3.jpg

Looks like extreme high pressure is going to build up as the Azores high centres over us next week when record breaking heat is forecast, according to the JMA...

jma_z500_mslp_eu_9.png.931faa9977cddea67fa0b6ce7f047174.png

The ECMWF puts the centre of the high slightly below us, but still forecasts record breaking temps...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eu_9.jpg.d81ddbb86c252154573c8aba8dc2b8e5.jpg

The GEM is looking quite similar to the ECMWF model...

gem_z500_mslp_eu_33.jpg.de2810b28bbc901e154ec0ed59e86433.jpg

If the Azores High is that established, it will bring heavy Mediterranean influence to the UK, especially the south. This summer could be shaping up to be a hot one...

E3I9c0_WQAYnsxT.png.19d7770b230830b2787627280d30a41b.png

There are signs of an even bigger heat event the following week as high pressure centres over western Europe and intense heat comes up through Morocco, Algeria and Spain. June temperature records could fall twice in the space of a week in UK, France, Spain and Portugal. After the potentially record breaking heat around 12th - 14th, it looks like a brief cool-down to slightly below average temperatures for a few days, followed by an enormous heat injection from north Africa. Possible highs of 38-39C for Paris and London around the 18th or 19th. Very close to the summer solstice too, meaning long days that allow big temperature warm ups. Of course it could change between then and now, but it does look like mid-late June will be a scorcher for western Europe. 

• Like 1

A high of 24C / 75F here today. Quite comfortable. 

Insane heat in the Middle East right now. Parts of the UAE is seeing temperatures of over 50C / 122F with their joint highest temperature on record at 51.8C (125F) being recorded. 

Looks like a big spike in temperatures for the UAE in recent years. Possibly due to the expansion of Dubai and an increased UHI effect there. Or it could be climate change. 

E3OeBy3WQAgf9Sj.png.9613cbc38e0516fd236ab7ed94ff366b.png

There looks like there may be a monstrous heatwave en-route for western Europe next week...

GEM to 14th June. London at 37C / 100F. 

gem_T850a_eu_33.jpg.8819f2d493cced91ec6f14068b9cbacd.jpg

Gem to 16th... northern Spain to get some BIG heat. 40C+ in places. London at 36C / 98F. 

gem_T850a_eu_41.jpg.af903cbf8bf6fe0d005eefd6ed5352df.jpg

ECMWF model is less sure of an all-out heatwave and worrying suggests cooler conditions later on possibly. Hopefully it falls in line with the other models. 

ecmwf_T850a_eu_8.jpg.bd3ee18e759046a821d1eeacd53f3dec.jpg

GFS on 22nd June is still holding strong though. Western France especially hot. London at 33C / 92F on 22nd...

gfs_T850a_eu_65.jpg.dbe0a9d28d6ebcf78afe94f945fa280f.jpg

I see there's quite a big heatwave going on in the NE of the states too, in New England. It seems after an abnormally cold blip in the northern hemisphere this winter and spring (Jan/Feb - April/May), temperatures have suddenly rebounded and cranked right up in time for summer. Out of nowhere this could be one of the hottest June's on record. Lots of places are already seeing record breaking heat (north America & Middle East), with others to follow over the next 7-10 days. The forecast models suggest unprecedented heat for the Arctic and Siberia in the coming days and weeks too. This amount of heat this early on may cause some knock on effect and big temperature spikes in July as well. Only time will tell though.

100F under high cloud haze at 1:20PM MST, on the way to 101-103F.  Coolest day of the week.. and beyond should be tomorrow when we're only expected to reach 100F.  After tomorrow, Get ready, the red hot Guillotine is about to drop.

.. WX Underground temp. forecast for next week has gone up.. Right now, looking like we may make a run for 120F by next Tuesday/ Wednesday ( forecast highs are in the 115F-117F range for the start of next week ( prob. the rest of the week too ).

Aside from the lurking heat ahead, There's also a massive wildfire just east of town currently, the west/ northwestern flank of which is on the steps of Boyce Thompson after breaking through a fire line in the last couple hours. " Telegraph" Fire, as it is named, is also causing evacuations of most areas just east of Superior, and has threatened to drop down into Superior since Saturday.  Started sometime Friday and is currently at 56K acres.

Some tweets.. As some here might have seen, was just out exploring the west side of the mountain a couple weeks ago, let alone Boyce earlier on.. Crazy..   **May add more here later..

Better overall view of where the fire is in relation to Boyce < picture #1 > ( in front of the lower ridge ) , and Picketpost ( further back ) Pic. #2 is a view of the larger, eastern flank of the same fire in the distance. Canyon i explored last time out in this area is between both areas. Mine where the Apache Tears can be found is just to the east of the eastern shoulder of Picketpost. 

***All photo credits to ABC 15 Reporter Mike Pelton.***

Another fire, the "Mescal " Fire, just east of Globe, AZ is also now over 50K acres and part of it is burning toward the west and also prompting evacuations..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2

Quick update on the fire situation near Boyce Thompson:

Looks like Firefighting Crews have been able to hold the part of the fire that broke through containment lines on this side of it earlier to the Canyon ( Arnett ) just to the south of the Arboretum itself. There have been NO reports it entered anywhere into the garden itself.

As you can see however, it has been moving east across the entire north face of Picketpost.  Current scene ( via live reporting ) from the same area looks much tamer than earlier w/ attention turning to the east section of the fire where it has been much more active today.

Tweet was from near 4PM ** Credit again to AZ. ABC 15 News reporter Mike Pelton. **

• Like 1

High of 25C (77F) again here today, same as yesterday. Temperatures are tanking tonight though under the clear skies. Currently at 13C / 55F at 1am. 

The highs will keep trending upwards as we approach the weekend, with perhaps 35C on the cards somewhere in southeastern England this weekend. The Met Office aren't forecasting anything above 29-30C (85F) for central London though, as it stands...

1173359218_Screenshot2021-06-08at22_42_52.thumb.png.3a374072c916a45f5f72980f6ab1c7b0.png

Some of the forecast models seem to think 31C as early as Friday for parts of Essex and East Anglia. The heat isn't due to peak until Sunday though. This is the run just up to Friday...

E3TikrVXwAcO3eA-1.png.62b26c2bbb957f5b1ce6139b97da6dc6.png

GFS and Euro models look pretty much identical. Both suggest 30C+ on Saturday and Sunday for me here under clear sunny skies. Possibly on Monday too if the Azores High stays in place. The days are 18 hours long now so I reckon somewhere in the southeast will hit 35C on Sunday. 

18_96_mslp500.jpg.393d2a85d3829e794716888d219d1b84.jpg

12_120_mslp500.jpg.0135219d3b2b2b1c1b30077c18be8057.jpg

• Like 1

A " comfortable " 100F at 12:12PM, on the way to a still " comfortable " 102-104F later..  Will definitely be comfortable compared to next week..  If you aren't already aware, get ready to face the heat..

..And this includes ALL of California, ..and the rest of the west for that matter.  Imagine this will be quite a shock to some since it has been a bit cooler than average in parts of the state this week.

4 Corners High is commin' back w/ a vengeance, and might just hunker down the rest of the month. Very possible 500MB heights set records over the central Rockies as the high shifts north and settles in up there mid to late next week ( per current forecasts )

Temps here look sizzlin' but, seem to be trimmed to more modest values compared to some other model guidance which still hints a run at 119-120F here in /around Phoenix at some point next week. We'll see who nails it by next weekend. ( kind of rooting for one 120 day, just for giggles, lol )

One thing that could passively keep us from reaching 120F? could see some flavor of a moisture surge from the Gulf of CA. and/or east / southeasterly flow from New Mexico /  N. Mexico as the high shifts north / northwest. On the other hand, Dew points rising into the 40s ( or 50s, for a couple days at least ) might just make 112-118F heat feel worse.. Certainly will help push overnight lows well into the 80s here. Current forecast for lows here in Chandler, for Tuesday - Friday are 85-87F.. Typically, you'd add a few degrees to those lows for areas closer to downtown Phoenix/ near Sky Harbor ..so, maybe they stay in the 90s a couple nights. Oof!:blink:

On a side note, current SST's in the Gulf ( of California ) are running .03 to 3.0 / 3.0+ Deg Celsius above normal across the entire basin. 26C isotherm is just about covering the entire Gulf, w/ the 29C isotherm steadily working it's way north along the mainland side of Mexico atm.  What does this mean?   I'll discuss that   ..soon..:winkie:

Anyhow, get yourself, and your plants prepared.. and drink plenty of water if out and about in it..   Welcome to Nuke Fest  2021..

• Like 2

Currently 92°F with a dew point of 76 and a feels like temperature of 105°F.  Just how I like it.  I need my humidity.  I can't deal with negative dew points like Arizona can get.  I'll take this over cold any day of the year.

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Maxed out at 25C / 77F on Thursday afternoon. Currently sitting at 18C / 64F at 2am here. 

The next few days are going to be pretty hot. I'm tempted to risk going to Kew Gardens on Sunday, but I suspect it will be super busy and the lines to get in there will be insane. 

737170710_Screenshot2021-06-10at21_49_51.thumb.png.cb0546603b9634149bc203ae8da503b8.png

• Like 1

Things are starting to really heat up, early. While I’ve not receive any heat warning alerts for my area, things do look pretty toasty for forecasted future

B935BB2F-F029-4EB9-849A-ABEE72B6F5D5.jpeg.af378b75e7c6589eabeebd886a3d6c6f.jpeg

I do, however, receive weather alerts for neighboring Clark (NV) and Mohave (AZ). Seems to be getting hot all over the SW in general. Some highlights and important reminders. Stay safe out there. 

9C7FD78D-A4F5-41D9-8A57-E2F3FF379CF0.jpeg.402211f63966c9be38471ef9d83ae128.jpeg

3729BA0D-9618-4369-9990-7795DFA5BDC5.jpeg.c65887485ae455d1a959b99c613f67d8.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, RyManUtah said:

Things are starting to really heat up, early. While I’ve not receive any heat warning alerts for my area, things do look pretty toasty for forecasted future

B935BB2F-F029-4EB9-849A-ABEE72B6F5D5.jpeg.af378b75e7c6589eabeebd886a3d6c6f.jpeg

I do, however, receive weather alerts for neighboring Clark (NV) and Mohave (AZ). Seems to be getting hot all over the SW in general. Some highlights and important reminders. Stay safe out there. 

9C7FD78D-A4F5-41D9-8A57-E2F3FF379CF0.jpeg.402211f63966c9be38471ef9d83ae128.jpeg

3729BA0D-9618-4369-9990-7795DFA5BDC5.jpeg.c65887485ae455d1a959b99c613f67d8.jpeg

Definitely take it seriously...  Have family in town next week, and a fellow Palmtalker passing thru later next week and have made it pretty clear.. Do any planned hiking / garden visits / -anything- outdoors ( where you aren't tied to a pool, lol ) in the morning / evening hours.. Stay indoors / by a pool during the afternoon as much as you can,  and don't be shocked by how much water you consume to stay hydrated. One of my cousins and his wife were out here several weeks ago, when it was still nice out, and were very surprised at how much liquids they had to drink.

Heat exhaustion / stroke is a very sneaky danger here.. Based on my own experience, it's that very dangerous factor that people don't seem to take seriously enough.. Compared to the humidity in FL. / other places i have lived/ visited, where the humidity factor can be pretty dangerous in it's own way,  even sitting in shade outdoors, esp. this time of year, thanks to our dry air,  you can almost feel every molecule of moisture being drawn out of you. That can quickly lead to big time trouble -without even realizing it.  No clue how some people here hike local trails when it is 110/ 110+ out..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

..Tweeted via AZ WX forecaster Mike Leuthold roughly half an hour ago..  Yep, that's a 120 for Phoenix on the second map. Woah!

:bemused::blink2:

Currently 27C / 80F in my back yard, although nearby Guildford is running a shade warmer at around 28C / 82F. 

thumbnail_image1-27.thumb.jpg.a1d36e29d68c12470f129d839d3a10c2.jpg

thumbnail_image0-48.thumb.jpg.1962d2746183c08eb394eb87a215ea91.jpg

It's very warm and very dry right now. The last measurable rainfall was 11 days ago and I am currently on 0.09 inches for June up to the 12th. Just 20 miles east of me, in Kent, they have had no rainfall at all this month. Heavy Csb influence for the southeast. It's due to cool down next week though, with some cloudier conditions, but rainfall is still looking incredibly scarce for London and the southeast of England. High pressure block will buffer any low pressure systems trying to reach the southeast. 

1556348788_Screenshot2021-06-12at15_38_44.thumb.png.b9680aa98db1cd8460e4e7722458be3b.png 

Interesting to see whether those thunderstorms that BBC are predicting will actually come to anything next week? We certainly need some rain here. The lawn is turning already. Looks like an overnight low of about 20C for London on Wednesday night as well. Thunderstorms may come up from the Spanish and French Med regions next week. 

289522647_Screenshot2021-06-12at15_45_27.thumb.png.66ab114be6e967af880f807dfbe9235b.png

1041140374_Screenshot2021-06-12at15_55_45.thumb.png.9bb0d416bf8262ce10ddb4ec7bf2a8cf.png

It’s a perfect 21°C (70°F) here just before midday - I don’t really need it any warmer personally, though I’m happy with it warmer too. The bricks and stone really make the garden bake in the sun making it feel pleasantly toasty (though not toasty in the sense you’ve got @RyManUtah).

All of June has been brilliant, making up for the dreadful May. There’s been no rain yet, which combined with the warmth is hopefully preventing the wet roots of May from turning into rotten roots. The coldest night this month so far was 11.4°C here, no nights as cold as the average low for June of 10°C.

Temperatures logged by the little weather station lurking behind the Chamaerops in the photo. This is on the north side of a wall and never gets direct sun, but it’s got a wee box anyway in case a stray raindrop or sunbeam tries to get through.

E2166C30-E308-4A1D-AF19-BAE8D0401785.thumb.png.43d5f4c8d152f730cae0f8a66b1d35e6.png

D87ACF63-B11E-4E2A-94E8-512AAE2E03EF.thumb.jpeg.3c0d6a3c037b50438af23edd537f9d39.jpeg

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

81F with a 30 minute downpour that stopped a few minutes ago.  Hoping there is more rain on the way.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

89F at 8:37AM MST.. On the way to a record tying ..or record breaking 114 /114+ as " Nuke Fest 2021" settles in.. 

From today until at least next Saturday it's 114-118F with each day this week having at eat a 60% chance of breaking old daily records. Rest of the state is in the same boat.. in fact, Tucson already broke yesterday's record with a high of 110F. Safford, Tiny town far removed from any heat island ) and Nogales also got the record breaking ball rolling yesterday. 

Hottest days  area-wide  ( for now at least ) look to be Tuesday, Thursday and Friday w/ forecast highs of 117F ..That said, a couple factors could influence those highs either way. 

High Pressure area bringin' the heat is anticipated to continue drifting north over AZ before settling over.. or just northwest of that primo target spot around the 4 corners by Tuesday/ Wednesday. South/ Southeast/ Easterly " return flow " under the high is already starting to pull mid level moisture north and west from Mexico / New Mexico ..which has been very active storm-wise over the past couple weeks.  In doing so, Dew points, currently in the 12-20% range area wide, should jump to the 30's-40's starting mid-week, esp. the further south or east you head. There is also a pool of 50-60deg Dew points south of Hermosillo that could get nudged north through the week.  Adding to this, there are at least a couple subtle disturbances / inverted troughs that could pass over the area through the week.. 

If any of these disturbances are a touch stronger, this could spread more cloud cover here and there over the lower deserts at times this week which, depending on timing / coverage, might stop Phoenix from exceeding 117F  on one of the days highs could reach those numbers. Higher Dew Points / higher Precipitable Water #'s / higher Humidity could also shave off a degree or two.  Quite likely, for the next couple days at least, smoke from on- going fires east of the valley / in far west central New Mexico will make it's way here. Depending on how thick the smoke is as it passes overhead, that too could temper the heat this week, similar to what occurred last year at times.

Looking west to California... Hottest part of the week looks to be from Tuesday- Friday / Saturday. Central Valley / Deserts sizzle.. Areas closest to the coast stay nice. Same easterly / southeasterly return flow  under the high may eventually spread some moisture / higher humidity / dew points over the state sometime during the week as well. Not completely out of the question mountains across S. Cal see some buildups/ weak shower or two where any rain barely reaches the surface.. perhaps some storms up in the Sierra. Nothing widespread though.. " Monsoonal " Set up isn't quite primed yet.

Some back and forth on just how long the " extreme " end of the heat hangs around after next weekend.. Some model runs flatten the high, or temporarily knock it around before it rearranges itself over /just south of AZ ..or just to the west ..before it builds back over the 4 corners.. Other runs essentially keep it intact, but not quite as strong.. with some interesting things in the mix as we head toward the end of the month.

While most people dread this level of heat, this is a necessary cycle if we want any kind of Monsoon action/ season.. While last year was brutal,  extreme heat didn't settle in until later ( sometime in July ).. and we know how last year's Monsoon end up.  We'll see what happens later but perhaps a sizzling good omen that the most extreme heat of the year seems to be occurring at exactly the right time as you'd expect in a typical year.

For now, ( and even after the extreme heat settles back to simply very hot )  stay out of the sun during the the day,  hike / run errands in the morning /evening, Don't leave anything in your car, stay well hydrated.

• Like 3

27C / 80F at 10:30am here. Depending on cloud cover this afternoon, we may see 32C / 90F.

3456D847-AA5E-4F0D-A813-B71CABAEEC04.jpeg

F4873234-4A47-48F9-8CBD-27C8BB6ACC88.jpeg

81F 76% relative humidity, cloudy.  This mornings heavy rain has soaked everything to standing water which is now abating.  The palms are rejoicing and aglow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Currently 90f/32c. First season heat wave moving in. Looking forward to the next few nights :D we usually get a light breeze too!

Screenshot_20210615-105743_Weather.thumb.jpg.0de77f973af0f7c57c7a4c77016c37ac.jpg

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

8 minutes ago, James760 said:

Currently 90f/32c. First season heat wave moving in. Looking forward to the next few nights :D we usually get a light breeze too!

Screenshot_20210615-105743_Weather.thumb.jpg.0de77f973af0f7c57c7a4c77016c37ac.jpg

That's it?, only one or two days above 105 there? Hows this possible ?:lol:  Kidding aside, Consider yourself lucky, -for now..  Could be worse.. Supposed to be 121-123F ( ..or up to 125 according to some forecasts ) today / rest of the week in both Bullhead City / Lake Havasu. 

• Like 1

Lol :D. We're in the not to hot/ not to cold desert southwest range. I'm definitely fortunate for our weather. I just got back from Lake Havasu yesterday & the heat was definitely cranking up right before we left. Saturday was 108f, Sunday 113f Monday was going to be 115f range. We got out of dodge right before the worse part of it. 

I don't know how you guys can deal with that heat all those months :bemused:!

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

4 minutes ago, James760 said:

Lol :D. We're in the not to hot/ not to cold desert southwest range. I'm definitely fortunate for our weather. I just got back from Lake Havasu yesterday & the heat was definitely cranking up right before we left. Saturday was 108f, Sunday 113f Monday was going to be 115f range. We got out of dodge right before the worse part of it. 

I don't know how you guys can deal with that heat all those months :bemused:!

:greenthumb:  Even though the heat is easier to handle once we start seeing humidity/ more clouds/ storms, escaping " Nuclear Summer " can't occur fast enough.. Since they typically get far less rain, not sure how anyone could like in Havasu, or Yuma.. ( ...Add those repeated episodes of 65-70+ Dew point readings to the heat in Yuma )

• Like 1