IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mass PRA in Anaheim Hills California November 17 2018

DoomsDave

The PSSC’s much ballyhooed meeting at the home and garden of Patrick and Jolynn  Mahoney was attended by more than 100 - some say up to about 150 - palm nuts, spouses children and friends on Saturday November 17, 2018. 

2000D96B-2E08-4738-8D62-8355DBEBCF34.thu

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There was so many people we ran out of food!

Everyone swooned en masse to the sheer palmy overload plus Ficus, Magnolias, tree ferns, and of course [expletive] cycads.

A38E648C-4890-49C6-AD41-22C8EEA5EFA2.thu

• Upvote 6

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Two acres of water falls, a pool, four restrooms (always a major plus!), cobblestone paths, my brain is seizing up from try to process it. 

415B6A57-4A8C-4846-B072-2BD14C9027D3.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Where will this path lead?

38435F9F-2B08-4011-BA2C-D3C7EDB6AF53.thu

• Upvote 6

Look up!

E94C316D-868A-410C-BACF-2EA5EDE4C816.thuA9CF5478-8BF7-4E69-8C86-8125846B2FD8.thu

• Upvote 8

Keep looking up!

73828872-4777-4302-8EC2-DCAF47B72CFA.thu

• Upvote 8

Thanks to many Palm Talkers who attended!

@joe_OC, @bgl, @BS Man about Palms, @Kim and so many many more.

Dunno what the auction total is yet but I think we did well!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose said:

No smoke of Doom?

Nope. We were far from the fires, this time.

3 acres of palm bliss.  At times, it was like the Mahoney's lived in the "Jungle Cruise" at Disneyland.  There wasn't a lot of rare palms, but it did not matter because of the scale of it.  Walking under the densely planted canopy of Kings and Kentias, I felt like I was in Hawaii and not Anaheim Hills.    

• Upvote 5

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I loved the walkways.  That's how I want my walkway to look when my coconuts and sea grapes grow in around it.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Dave, what is the luxuriant groundcover in the fourth photo ?  Possibly just large Aspidistra, or something else ?

San Francisco, California

37 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Dave, what is the luxuriant groundcover in the fourth photo ?  Possibly just large Aspidistra, or something else ?

Hi Darald,

Yes, they use Aspidistra (cast iron plant) extensively along the shady pathways.  

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

What an absolutely amazing garden! :) A very intricate maze of paths that were intersecting with water features and lots of mature vegetation and the "end result" is a tropical rainforest that truly feels like Hawaii, and this is in the heart of Orange County in Southern California. Incredible! :)

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

28 minutes ago, bgl said:

What an absolutely amazing garden! :) A very intricate maze of paths that were intersecting with water features and lots of mature vegetation and the "end result" is a tropical rainforest that truly feels like Hawaii, and this is in the heart of Orange County in Southern California. Incredible! :)

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0138.JPG

DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

If you had said this was Borneo or SIngapore, I would have believed you!

• Upvote 1

I took way too many photos... it was that kind of home and garden. Eye candy at every turn, surprises, thrills, trails to reawaken your inner Marco Polo explorer mode. The house is named The Lost World, and you really feel you have entered a wrinkle in time and space to arrive here. This can't be Anaheim, California! Enjoy.

DSC_6115.thumb.jpg.dd11fb6cb0df3717f7631DSC_6120.thumb.jpg.9c80e7cbf4b81d74e77d4DSC_6121.thumb.jpg.05476e6cfd1cd255ffdd7DSC_6126.thumb.jpg.07afdb810fadd72708f48DSC_6128.thumb.jpg.480d2e1706923b3427a6dDSC_6130.thumb.jpg.8a671adda7683a4024ad6DSC_6132.thumb.jpg.f1c263530c26753e162a6

• Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

We were permitted to explore indoors. Waterfalls and gardens outside every window. A wine cellar with the Lost World theme painted on the the walls. Exotic art beyond every boulder and palm trunk. A few familiar visitors.

DSC_6139.thumb.jpg.2e758511313278f4c6007DSC_6158.thumb.jpg.1140ccdc9bbeedce5ed7aDSC_6159.thumb.jpg.8c640409a6fefcaf26108

DSC_6164.thumb.jpg.62bc3e32b3c39aecdf224

DSC_6172.thumb.jpg.0b4b2f8c25c602fe41331DSC_6175.thumb.jpg.9201194e27bb1ec680af0DSC_6178.thumb.jpg.7ce43c1a68742f566eec2DSC_6180.thumb.jpg.588c021f8f1e3959c1ac9

• Upvote 13

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

DSC_6183.thumb.jpg.d426e9a7f0db26f3d0bde

DSC_6191.thumb.jpg.a483a509510f663d1420c

DSC_6203.thumb.jpg.f6366b8c9f9b646de5558

DSC_6212.thumb.jpg.c5a73db59c27da6be1722

DSC_6213.thumb.jpg.cc79eecd714ec7a8f3e13

DSC_6219.thumb.jpg.97f8d41007669b54c31b7

DSC_6216.thumb.jpg.5fb1b6839e45b26ed84e6

DSC_6228.thumb.jpg.14ff9366f138560e76e7c

DSC_6234.thumb.jpg.e6ee64c09e94c794e7e2f

• Upvote 13

Kim Cyr

Everyone seemed awed and entertained!  Great meeting followed by a great palm auction! 

DSC_6252.thumb.jpg.b861f841664b59f7793e0

DSC_6253.thumb.jpg.58c7b4fab644221d0c7cd

DSC_6255.thumb.jpg.b3938984d04520953dd69

DSC_6257.thumb.jpg.2f685ad3f1ce994d7a61c

DSC_6263.thumb.jpg.aff5bae781f3c67ddb38d

DSC_6265.thumb.jpg.efa238d5a7c665b90d4d1

DSC_6281.thumb.jpg.5e988d180bf9b4cf3af86

• Upvote 13

Kim Cyr

Holy smokes! That is an amazing place. Sure looks like the jungle cruise @Disney.

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Holy smokes! That is an amazing place. Sure looks like the jungle cruise @Disney.

It’s sure enough amazing!

12 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Thanks to many Palm Talkers who attended!

@joe_OC, @bgl, @BS Man about Palms, @Kim and so many many more.

Dunno what the auction total is yet but I think we did well!

Who else from PalmTalk was there?  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

5 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Who else from PalmTalk was there?  

Where is Bill?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

11 hours ago, Kim said:

DSC_6228.thumb.jpg.14ff9366f138560e76e7c

DSC_6234.thumb.jpg.e6ee64c09e94c794e7e2f

I was there also. What an amazing garden! I walked it twice and could have walked it 5 more times. I was in jungle cruse harmony here.  Beautiful palms, philodendrons, many other plants, architecture, accents, lighting, water features, and pathways.  This garden had it all. Even great as a family outing.

My son is on the left and my father to the right. Thanks @Kim for taking these pictures! My Father Greg and my Mother Linda are the ones who introduced me to palms and for that I am thankful. My heart overflows when I watch my son running around gardens blabbering and wanting to explore. My parents must feel the same way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

It's quite impressive.

Not to upset anyone, but how do you irrigate (legally) this kind of landscape in SoCal? It's got to require a lot of water.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

It's quite impressive.

Not to upset anyone, but how do you irrigate (legally) this kind of landscape in SoCal? It's got to require a lot of water.

It's not as much as you might think. First, many soils in California are clay, which holds water well. Second, grass lawns are HUGE water hawgs compared to a palm garden, though they still take their share. My lush palm garden takes about 1/3 the water that half an acre of lawn would take, especially in the summer time.

That said, someday we will likely face water restrictions of the total type, i.e., no penalties, just use too much and get cut off.

Beautiful place and lovely visuals...And thanks everyone for those visuals.

Love,

Kris.

Btw. Dave and Bill where are you...?

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

6 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

It's not as much as you might think. First, may soils in California are clay, which holds water well. Second, grass lawns are HUGE water hawgs compared to a palm garden, though they still take their share. My lush palm garden takes about 1/3 the water that half an acre of lawn would take, especially in the summer time.

That said, someday we will likely face water restrictions of the total type, i.e., no penalties, just use too much and get cut off.

Yes. I've been to Palm Desert and couldn't believe that I was seeing lawns being watered in the heat of the day in June. I suppose that's the only way to keep the turf alive.

1 minute ago, Kris said:

Beautiful place and lovely visuals...And thanks everyone for those visuals.

Love,

Kris.

Btw. Dave and Bill where are you...?

I was too busy officiating at the meeting to pose for pictures, and no one happened to get one of me they posted here.

Yet.

dave

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I was too busy officiating at the meeting to pose for pictures, and no one happened to get one of me they posted here.

Yet.

dave

I understand that,Since most of the time this happens to me in the parties that i attend.Taking pictures of friends and relatives and sending them in whatsapp...finally i realize iam not to be seen in a single frame ! :)

• Upvote 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

29 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yet.

dave

This one is for you Dave. A candid, of you working so hard to rake in that needed money for the PSSC, as well as allowing collectors and newbies acquire the gardens/palms of their dreams.

But this is picture actually gives scale to the massive size and maturity of this garden.

20181117_131442.jpg

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, hbernstein said:

It's quite impressive.

Adding to the above explanations: Another way this is done is responsibly designed and tuned drip irrigation systems using reclaimed water working with the shape of the landscape.  It may be hard to tell in the pictures but there was a decent change in elevation throughout the garden.  I noticed that drip lines were carefully running atop the slopes allowing the excess water to trickle down to other plants without the need for more sprinkler distribution.  This allows for very efficient irrigation distribution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jesse said:

This one is for you Dave. A candid, of you working so hard to rake in that needed money for the PSSC, as well as allowing collectors and newbies acquire the gardens/palms of their dreams.

But this is picture actually gives scale to the massive size and maturity of this garden.

20181117_131442.jpg

Jesse, thanks! Post some more, maybe?

Great picture of that Cyphosperma balansae from Larry's collection. I had a pair of little ones, but his was stupendous. Don't remember what it went for.

Hmm. I think next time I'll go for that Don Martin / Don Tollefson look. Or maybe back to Mad About Plaid . . . . .

• Upvote 1

Holy wow! That is an amazing garden. I could get lost in there on purpose. 

8 hours ago, hbernstein said:

It's quite impressive.

Southern California and SF Bay Area water agencies haven't really had a strong hand with water regulations. The LA basin receives it's flow from the vast network of rivers in the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys, the Colorado River and Owens Valley. The the city of San Francisco has exclusive rights to Hetch Hetchy within Yosemite National Park with it's non-stop flow from the Tuolumne River. Water restrictions have been most heavily placed on agencies in Central and Northern CA - ironically, where the water flows from after it comes out of the Cascade Mountains and the Sierra Nevada (a touchy subject around here). Commercial ag crops have largely switched to drip systems - think hundreds of thousands of acres of almonds, citrus, peaches, grapes, etc on drip irrigation. And residential water usage is closely monitored - at least in Fresno it is. I received a note this year telling me my house would be monitored to make sure I was complying with the city's watering schedule - outdoor watering only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. A verbal warning for the first offense, $50 the second, $100 the third and so on. The city has an app where neighbors can report water offenders also :bemused:. At the peak of the drought, Central CA looked like a wasteland but if you drove to Southern CA or the Bay Area, the drought was not much more than a of series reports about drought in a faraway land - no visible changes - so it seemed. (written without any bias...obviously :innocent: :floor:)

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Upvote 2

On 11/18/2018, 12:13:50, Darold Petty said:

I concur with @joe_OC; it’s Aspadistra.

I am alive, I WAS there and had a great time at a beautiful place and was happy to Visit and witness' Sir Daves garden after!! Now to get back with some daylight!!

46501793_356622528233348_4710272856653561856_n.jpg

46499109_120106825574215_1835590810955939840_n.jpg

46521633_561034901015415_8414110386227249152_n.jpg

46498394_2182472255138063_5024614842963591168_n.jpg

• Upvote 5

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 11/19/2018, 5:58:30, hbernstein said:

It's quite impressive.

Some good explanations above.

Also, it would still be expensive.

Two acres, and that's straight from Pat Mahoney, the owner.

• Upvote 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm