Sign in to follow this  
dwimss

Dypsis decaryi ripe seeds color

dwimss

Hello, 

Is Dyspis decaryi seeds stays green when they are ripe/mature or do they change colors. 
I think they are on there maximum size but still green, can these seeds be harvested now or should I wait ?

6b7x64R.jpg

• Upvote 1

quaman58

Based on what I'm seeing, I would guess that yellow is the ripe color. I've got one seeding for the first time, but the fruits are still green in color. I always assume that ripe seeds can be easily separated from the branch. So if they're still holding tight, they've got a ways to go.

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

I had the same question myself recently as most of our local palms are in fruit.  In case anyone runs across this thread with the same question, you can see photos of the purpleish/black ripe fruit here: http://palmpedia.net/palmsforcal/Dypsis_decaryi

• Like 1

Fusca
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

you can see photos of the purpleish/black ripe fruit here

This is interesting - I've never seen decaryi fruit turn purple/black.  Perhaps there's variation within the species but I have definitely germinated seed from fruit that was yellowish/green in color that had fallen off the tree.

kinzyjr
43 minutes ago, Fusca said:

This is interesting - I've never seen decaryi fruit turn purple/black.  Perhaps there's variation within the species but I have definitely germinated seed from fruit that was yellowish/green in color that had fallen off the tree.

My interest was sparked mostly from wanting to germinate the seeds, so I'm optimistic that the test seeds I collected will germinate since you've had positive results.  Thank you for sharing that!  The particular specimen I collected from has fruit that almost looks silvery blue at points.

Fusca
3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

My interest was sparked mostly from wanting to germinate the seeds, so I'm optimistic that the test seeds I collected will germinate since you've had positive results.  Thank you for sharing that!  The particular specimen I collected from has fruit that almost looks silvery blue at points.

Sounds like you will have success.  They germinate pretty easily and fairly quickly also if I'm remembering correctly.  I'll be interested to know if you get germination - hope so!  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

kinzyjr
On 7/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, Fusca said:

Sounds like you will have success.  They germinate pretty easily and fairly quickly also if I'm remembering correctly.  I'll be interested to know if you get germination - hope so!  :greenthumb:

My first germination occurred today.  The fruit in the original post by @dwimss likely has viable seed based on our combined experiences.

• Upvote 1

Fusca

The fruit might very well turn purple when fully ripe, but it might be like Arenga engleri or even Sabal mexicana where germination can occur at different stages of fruit ripeness.

• Like 1