Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Final Cayanne Pepper Harvest Before The Freeze

PalmTreeDude

So it will be going down to 25 tonight, which means all tropicals will be killed for the winter, the only are around me that may be spared is the islands in the reservoir, but even they might not be saved by the water. They have not had a single frost yet, even the areas right along the lake did not frost yet (I can tell by the completely unharmed bananas a trees along the water). My Cayanne Pepper plants will be killed by tomorrow. So I did my final harvest. 

20181110_195515.jpg

• Upvote 3

_Keith

I have about a week before the same.  Mine are Tabasco peppers.  Very productive, but a pain to pick.  I suspect I have a few hundred on a single bush.

Moose
20 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

So it will be going down to 25 tonight, which means all tropicals will be killed for the winter, the only are around me that may be spared is the islands in the reservoir, but even they might not be saved by the water. They have not had a single frost yet, even the areas right along the lake did not frost yet (I can tell by the completely unharmed bananas a trees along the water). My Cayanne Pepper plants will be killed by tomorrow. So I did my final harvest. 

20181110_195515.jpg

These are the peppers I use for my green mango salsa. I am told it is excellent. Personally I don't do hot. But enable those who do.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude
On 11/11/2018, 12:58:28, _Keith said:

I have about a week before the same.  Mine are Tabasco peppers.  Very productive, but a pain to pick.  I suspect I have a few hundred on a single bush.

These were a pain to pick also, it was cold out there! 

On 11/11/2018, 4:28:57, Moose said:

These are the peppers I use for my green mango salsa. I am told it is excellent. Personally I don't do hot. But enable those who do.

These peppers are my limit when it comes to hot things. 

Laaz

Meh, Reapers are where it's at!   ;)

UK_Palms
9 hours ago, Laaz said:

Meh, Reapers are where it's at!   ;)

Reapers suck, at least when it comes to growing. They are so slow off the bat and they take ages to fruit, let alone the time it takes the peppers to fully ripen. Maybe it's more to do with my climate, but I didn't harvest my first ones until mid October. In contrast, I was harvesting Padron peppers the size of soda cans, as early as June. And I started all my peppers from seed at the same time. I had hardly any Reaper pods this year as well which was a bummer. 

I plan to overwinter my Reaper plant this year, as there is no way I am growing one from seed again! Not worth it IMO. I found the 7 pot Chocolate Douglah to be much more efficient, productive and it is almost as hot, at 1,700,000 SHU. A much better alternative to Reapers, IMO. 

Laaz

Must be your climate, I plant my seeds in March & have ripe peppers by June. Just took a drive up to get next years seeds...

2cp6q6o.jpg

1io1hg.jpg

nmx508.jpg

There's a local company here in Charleston that makes the best Reaper sauce I've ever had. Just picked up a bunch more.

20f8zt.jpg

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

I have a reaper plant, but it is not doing to good... I have tried a Carolina Reaper with a few friends of mine, and lets just say it was not exactly fun at the time, but the stories we got from it were great. 

• Upvote 1

Moose

I don't understand the name of the company ?     :blink:

Laaz

A word of wisdom, wash your hands REALLY good before you pee after handling Reapers...

Edited by Laaz
  • Upvote 1

RJ
1 hour ago, Laaz said:

A word of wisdom, wash your hands REALLY good before you pee after handling Reapers...

:ttiwwp:

PalmTreeDude
2 hours ago, Laaz said:

THIS, it was part two of the experience...

Edited by PalmTreeDude

_Keith

Mine made it through 36 and a light frost.   Re-growing greener and even a flower or two.   Unfortunately here the same comes again over the next 2 nights.  But no freeze yet.