IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Garden Festival - Fort Myers, FL - Edison Estate - Nov. 17-18, 2018

Palmarum

Garden Festival

November 17th - 18th, 2018

Edison & Ford Winter Estates

Fort Myers, Florida

Link: https://www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/events/garden-festival/

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. and the Rainforest Collection® will be a vendor at the Garden Festival held at the historic Edison & Ford Winter Estates the third weekend of November. I have heard great things about this sale from various excited sources but I haven't been able to attend the event before now. Jeff Searle was invited to attend as a vendor and is currently going through the nursery looking for plants to bring to the sale. I do not know as to the extent of what plants he will be bringing, but it will be a mix of everything grown at the nursery, with a focus on Palms and Crotons. If I get a list or a better idea of what he will be bringing, I will try and post it here before next weekend. If you are going to the sale and may want Jeff to bring something specific, like a palm species or a croton cultivar for example, you can post it here or call him at (954) 658-4317.

The webpage lists all sorts of vendors will be at the sale and I am interested to see what plants may show up. If anyone has an experiences with this sale, please post them here, as I could use any and all info about what to expect. Follow the link above to get hours, etc. or use the map link below...

Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/eP1ZJatUpZm

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

Jeff, i am attending the show on the 17th.  Do you have the following available and in what sizes and prices?  

Veitchia winin

Cyrtostachys loriae

Clinostigma ponapense 

Clinostigma samoense

Pinanga javana

Pinanga patula

Dransfieldia micrantha

Areca macrocalyx red

Edited by palmsOrl

I will make sure Jeff sees the list or I will ask him about it. I think he may have five of them, but I will make sure.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Ryan, I'm interested in a Rhapis Super Dwarf in a 1g. I definitely will be there Sat. Thanks. Glad to see Jeff (and you?) in our part of FL.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Shoot, I might have gone but I'll be abroad that weekend. Looks like a great event to attend.

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

2 hours ago, Brian1960 said:

admission cost??

There is no admission cost to the sale, but if you want to go into the Edison Estate that will cost you.

2 hours ago, Brian1960 said:

admission cost??

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Ryan,

I would like a Lodoicea maldivica, already sprouted, maybe 2 of them, and cheap! :D

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Ryan,

I would like a Lodoicea maldivica, already sprouted, maybe 2 of them, and cheap! :D

I have a good crop of 1 gallons for sale, they will be approx. $75 each. Let e know.....

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

45 minutes ago, Jeff Searle said:

I have a good crop of 1 gallons for sale, they will be approx. $75 each. Let e know.....

Jeff

Must be the dwarf version of Lodoicea's :D

I am glad you will be a vendor at the sale, it is a nice sale and you will be a great addition.

I was there at the garden today and one of the volunteers at the garden center mentioned you and was very excited about you being at the sale.

All kidding aside, would you have the following in one gallon size?

Arenga pinnata

Satakentia liukiuensis 

Neoveitchia storckii

Kerriodoxa elegans

Thanks

27 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Must be the dwarf version of Lodoicea's :D

I am glad you will be a vendor at the sale, it is a nice sale and you will be a great addition.

I was there at the garden today and one of the volunteers at the garden center mentioned you and was very excited about you being at the sale.

Pretty funny. Ryan and I are extremely excited about bringing the circus over to the west coast, ahhh I mean coming over and participating in this sale. Thanks for the kind words, I hopefully will know by Monday or tuesday at the latest and get back to you and palmOrl. I will be limited on booth space (25' x 25' ) unless their overly generous with their measurements. I sure hope so because I have lots of great looking material coming over.

Jeff

• Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I had donated a few cool palms from my collection to there garden so keep your eyes pealed it would be nice to here that they were planted

OH MY GOSH!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Do you guys need volunteers?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

6 hours ago, Missi said:

OH MY GOSH!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

Do you guys need volunteers?

And you should be! Ryan and I are also excited about coming. I have some nice material coming.

• Upvote 2

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Preview photos of some of the plants bound for the Garden Festival...

- Varied Aroids and other related plants...

DSC_0777.thumb.JPG.745e11fceda7eb13cf086DSC_0778.thumb.JPG.e94b83780b01e0a254b28

- Crotons and more crotons. The group includes everything to the left of the footpath in these photos...

DSC_0779.thumb.JPG.ae194309941c7e8e39f44DSC_0781.thumb.JPG.ba3c46d9b20b0fd2410e7DSC_0783.thumb.JPG.58ccfb17142faffcd7996

- ... and on the opposite side, everything to the right of the footpath. The selection is mostly "one of this, and one of that", with a few groups of some notable cultivars. The idea with the Croton group was to bring as many cultivars as possible.

DSC_0784.thumb.JPG.8a210cc65f7ea2b4579d1DSC_0787.thumb.JPG.fe2ce62d7c45758ad6def

- The Palms and other plants were tricky to photograph as the group was in total flux, with stuff being added and some being taken away at the same time. We really do not what to bring, and of how many and what sizes, as this is our first trip to the Garden Festival. Like with the crotons, we are trying to bring as many species as possible that will fit in the booth, as we know of it vs. how much shade we will have, sun, etc.

DSC_0790.thumb.JPG.ed9a56ab6a72e646b7547DSC_0788.thumb.JPG.5efbe2fdba06e03747f91DSC_0793.thumb.JPG.ef0c483f7ee071ed62d42

- One gallons, three gallons, some larger material. A least a few tables worth of plants.

DSC_0791.thumb.JPG.ea397b3a0168b7fc6880bDSC_0792.thumb.JPG.3529064c3fa796b452ff6DSC_0789.thumb.JPG.e7e153b79ea713ac0fcd8

Ryan

South Florida

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎27‎:‎31‎, palmsOrl said:

Thank you Jeff! 

Sent you a message.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I might be able to make it over there, I am in Venice now but should be in the Cape this weekend. 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

7 hours ago, cfkingfish said:

I might be able to make it over there, I am in Venice now but should be in the Cape this weekend. 

Hey buddy, it would be nice to see you there.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dropped the ball on making this. Got sidetracked weeding and ended up doing 6 hours of gardening. Sorry guys :crying:

How'd it go? Share pics of your goodies!! :greenthumb:

6 hours ago, Missi said:

Dropped the ball on making this. Got sidetracked weeding and ended up doing 6 hours of gardening. Sorry guys :crying:

How'd it go? Share pics of your goodies!! :greenthumb:

Weeding?

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I enjoyed the sale, many more vendors this year I believe. 

Great having Jeff there, very good selection.

I bought 5 palms from Jeff,

Astrocaryum mexicanum

Copernicia macroglossa

Kerriodoxa elegans

Pritchardia vuylstekeana

Satakentia liukiuensis

And scored a bunch other plants from the other vendors, so very happy :D

And what beautiful weather, actually had to wear a light coat!

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2018, 6:47:28, Jeff Searle said:

Weeding?

When it's nice and cool out, and the Spanish needle is over 3' tall in the front landscaping, and you can no longer see your large bromeliads in the sea of green, it's time to prioritize weeding! I was only going to pull the tallest ones and then head up to Ft. Myers but I got on a roll. Pulled out ALL the weeds for compost, pulled over 20 large sun loving bromeliads to place down at the road for neighbors or trash pixies to take (they were actually all gone a couple hours later). Hmm...now I need a plant sale to purchase new plants for that area...Curses to bad timing! :rant: Or...maybe curses to me for poor planning! :unsure:

On 11/20/2018, 9:59:33, Palmaceae said:

Astrocaryum mexicanum

Copernicia macroglossa

Kerriodoxa elegans

Pritchardia vuylstekeana

Satakentia liukiuensis

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: I would have loved an Astrocaryum and that Pritchardia...

On 11/20/2018, 9:59:33, Palmaceae said:

Astrocaryum mexicanum

Copernicia macroglossa

Kerriodoxa elegans

Pritchardia vuylstekeana

Satakentia liukiuensis

Thanks for coming out and supporting us! I'm glad you found some goodies. Ryan and I had a great time with everything involved with this sale. It was really nice, and surprising to see so many familiar faces and customers show up. thanks again. We will be back!

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I got 5 palms at the sale:

Dypsis mirabilis

Licuala sp Fairchild Garden

Areca guppyana

Hydriastele affinis

Rhapis excelsa Super Dwarf

Thanks, Jeff & Ryan. I hope to see you at an Edison sale in the future. I will ponder what palms to ask for.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 11/19/2018, 12:02:24, Missi said:

... How'd it go? Share pics of your goodies!! :greenthumb:

The Garden Festival was a phenomenal sale. It was a great time not only at the sale but I also had my first tour of the Edison Estate. I shot everything and everywhere I could in the time we had. I have a large batch of photos that I will have to go through and I will put together a topic in some form. I found a few interesting non-plant goodies myself.

12 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

... Thanks, Jeff & Ryan. I hope to see you at an Edison sale in the future. I will ponder what palms to ask for.

It was great to see you Meg and other key notables in the palm world that I do not get the chance to see more often. I see the Festival only growing larger in the future, as they have a great group of people behind the event. For the next sale, I will have to start the topic earlier to give more time for people to ask for what plants they would like to have brought over. This topic was almost a last minute idea. With more time, Jeff can really dial in the palm and other plant requests, as the space in the trailer was the only main limitation, as we had a perfect sale booth.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

18 hours ago, Palmarum said:

The Garden Festival was a phenomenal sale. It was a great time not only at the sale but I also had my first tour of the Edison Estate. I shot everything and everywhere I could in the time we had. I have a large batch of photos that I will have to go through and I will put together a topic in some form. I found a few interesting non-plant goodies myself.

It was great to see you Meg and other key notables in the palm world that I do not get the chance to see more often. I see the Festival only growing larger in the future, as they have a great group of people behind the event. For the next sale, I will have to start the topic earlier to give more time for people to ask for what plants they would like to have brought over. This topic was almost a last minute idea. With more time, Jeff can really dial in the palm and other plant requests, as the space in the trailer was the only main limitation, as we had a perfect sale booth.

Ryan

I will be CERTAIN to attend nest time! :greenthumb: Can't wait to see your photos Ryan!

It was nice seeing you guys that weekend - I bought the first palm for my own collection in 6 years from you guys on Saturday. Hopefully it will become a more regular thing. 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε