Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Who Grows Larger Sabal minor In Pots?

PalmTreeDude

Who here grows larger (as in older) Sabal minor in pots? How is their growth rate? I might put a bunch in pots because I may end up moving (locally) and it would suck if I planted a bunch in the ground just to leave them in the next year. 

NC_Palms

I think they should do fine in pots, just make sure you have good drainage as always. I am not sure about the growth rate but you could always bring the Sabal minor inside during the winter to keep it growing. 

PalmatierMeg

Use deep pots to accommodate the underground stem.

• Upvote 1

jimmyt

I have had some in pots for several years.  Growth rate is slow and may be due to hot/dry Texas summers.  They tolerate the pots ok and appear healthy.  They do get ample water. They get a warm greenhouse in winter as my winters get cold enough to kill a hardy palm in a pot.

I am sure they wish they were Terra Firma and not confined to a pot.  Someday soon................

Allen

I got a little one from Jungle music palms and he had it in a extra tall pot.   I would plant out as soon as I could as growth will be much faster.

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Alright, thank you all for your replies. I have always thought of Sabal minor as not doing well in pots long term since the trunk develops under ground. My I have nine Sabal minors inside right now (with one not doing so well, I am trying to let it to grow a new spear but the old dead on is kind of stuck in there). 

15416512133502036520933400011195.jpg

15416512320681449740645818557345.jpg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

By pots I mean plastic cups... Yeah, I know. They will not be in there after the Spring though! 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos

Rickybobby

Can we see some pics of larger specimens ?

Allen

Well from that size you can grow a couple more years at least in pots or even longer but they should live fine for you in ground.  Mine just went thru 0F and -15 windchill with little damage last winter.

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 1

sashaeffer

I have one in a 20+ gallon Styrofoam pot. Bought it and others as 5 gallons but all in the ground but one. Doesn't grow near as fast as in the ground ones. Potted one is inside the garage now for the winter along with a ton of other potted palms I have.

NC_Palms

I was at the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores a few days back and they have some Sabal minor in pots. I instantly thought of this thread when I saw them. IMG_0682.thumb.JPG.a9c6503b15dcb746b5eb9

• Upvote 1

Chester B

The big sabal minor I bought is about 6' tall and even wider  Pot grown as far as I know.

Sabal 1.jpg

• Upvote 4

Henoh
On 11/9/2018, 12:28:26, Rickybobby said:

Can we see some pics of larger specimens ?

They need large pots for normal growth of underground trunk. This specimen from the Zagreb city botanical garden is about 50 years old. 

F0B2074C-3B74-41D4-8F48-1DFA3892F232.jpeg

7EDFA2E5-0565-4165-A068-D6026CD091B4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nj Palms

That's a beautiful specimen! Would love to have one that big.

• Like 1

teddytn

@Chester B in one of your videos there were some monsters in pots I think at a nursery for sale? 

• Like 1

Chester B
50 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@Chester B in one of your videos there were some monsters in pots I think at a nursery for sale? 

I do,  but I can't find the one with the big palmettos and minors.  I've shot too many videos!

• Like 1