IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your top 5 FAN palms??

Trópico

1. Bismarckia nobilis (silver)

2. Mauritia flexuosa >> doesn't anyone else like this one?  :)

3. Pritchardia pacifica

4. Copernicia baileyana

5. Chamaerops humilis var. volcano

Buriti Mauritia Flexuosa.JPG

• Upvote 7

Jon Sunder

1. Bismarckia Nobilis 'Silver'
  2. Sabal Minor
  3. Rhapidophyllum Hystrix
  4. Sabal Palmetto
  5. Chamaerops Humilis 'cerifera'

If I lived where they would grow well, I would have put trachycarpus fortunei on the list.  A few others that didn't make the top, but are well liked include: livistona australis, livistona chinensis, washingtonia filifera, serenoa repens, and acoelorrhaphe wrightii.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

14 hours ago, Fusca said:

Buriti Mauritia Flexuosa.JPG

Do you know where that picture was taken? Looks kinda familiar. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

2 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Do you know where that picture was taken? Looks kinda familiar. 

Yes, I took this photo about 5 years ago.  It's a city park in Goiânia, Brasil near where a good friend of mine lives.  I've posted it a few times in this forum.  There are many Mauritia flexuosa growing along the highways of Goiás state and Minas Gerais state.  I wish I had been able to take some habitat photos, but it's not easy traveling by bus!  The "small" juvenile volunteer seedling on the far right is likely only a couple of years old from seed.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

1. Corypha umbraculifera 

2. Saribus rotundifolius

3. Borassus flabellifer 

4. Bismarckia nobilis

5. Sabal sp. 'Lisa'

10 hours ago, Fusca said:

Yes, I took this photo about 5 years ago.  It's a city park in Goiânia, Brasil near where a good friend of mine lives.  I've posted it a few times in this forum.  There are many Mauritia flexuosa growing along the highways of Goiás state and Minas Gerais state.  I wish I had been able to take some habitat photos, but it's not easy traveling by bus!  The "small" juvenile volunteer seedling on the far right is likely only a couple of years old from seed.

Ahh, thanks. It reminds me a lot of an urban park I visited recently in Thailand. 

If I had a half zone warmer and a 1/2 acre bigger yard, I'd most definitely want corypha umbraculifera and tahinia spectabilis  I can't imagine jamming them in my yard and I think a 20 year cold snap may kill either of them.  Removing such a big dead palm is not something I want to have to do.   As it is my five are copernicia fallaense, borassus aethiopum, copernicia baileyana, bismarckia, and sabal causiarum.  When my seedling copernicia hospita get some size they may bump one of these from my top 5.  All of these fans are more impressive when set apart for viewing, but especially the big ones.  I once visited a 5 acre garden in miami that had  several corypha and bismarckia among many other palms.  the corypha were fantastic but I was looking up at the undersides of the leaves and couldnt get a profile view due to planting density and the massive sizes of these palms.  I plant my pinnate palms in groups, but I think these monsters look better when set apart for a profile view against the sky or at least some open space.

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I chose 5 that I am currently growing

1. Sabal palmetto Lisa

2. Tahina spectabilis

3. Copernicia baileyana

4. Copernicia rigida (recently germinated seedlings)

5. Hemithrinax ekmaniana

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I can't do it. I simply cannot choose just five! :bummed: I tried and my list still had 6. :hmm:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

It's difficult to choose 5...

1. Chelyocarpus ulei

2. Itaya amicorum (I'm not growing but looking for it)

3. Mauritiella armata

4. Nannorrhops arabica

5. Medemia argun

• 8 months later...

I always hated fan palms because my property was overgrown with razor sharp unkillable saw Palmettos, and the FL Sabals were everywhere.  But I've gotten a new appreciation for fan palms, and have a few that are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Kerriodoxa Elegans

Bismarckia Nobilis (silver form)

Sabal Mauritiiformis

Copernicia Baileyana or Fallaensis

Licuala Grandis or Peltata

And honorable mention is the currently mostly unavailable Tahina Spectabilis and the common Livistona Chinensis and similar Livistonas.  I also like the black petioles on the Borassus Aethiopum and the massive size of the Corypha Utan or Umbraculifera just for the sheer "holy crap what is THAT THING?" effect.  :o  I think I mostly dislike the smaller fans because of their visual similarity to the saw Palmettos that flayed my legs and arms on a regular basis.  But I still like the Paurotis and Chamaerops humils because they are cute and not quite as razor sharp.  I'm currently growing:

Kerriodoxa Elegans, Bismarckia Nobilis (silver x2, green x1), Sabal Mauritiiformis, Copernicia Baileyana and Fallaensis, Licuala Grandis, Livistona Chinensis x6, Chamaerops Humilis x2 and Livistona Speciosa / Jenkinsiana

• Upvote 1

My 5 favorite fan palms:

1. Bismarckia nobilis (silver)

2. Sabal Causiarum

3. Washingtonia (filibusta)

4. Livistona saribus

5. Mauritia flexuosa

On 4/2/2018, 2:49:43, Missi said:

I can't do it. I simply cannot choose just five! :bummed: I tried and my list still had 6. :hmm:

Well you can’t just leave us in the dark by posting a list of zero, give us the six! Label the last two 5a and 5b. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

1. Copernicia fallaensis

2. Corypha umbraculifera

3. Bismarkia nobilis

4. Brahea clara,  or perhaps Pritchardia hillebrandii - species Huelo Blue

5. Kerriodoxa elegans

1. Sabal palmetto

2. Sabal minor

3. Bismarkia nobilis

4. Chamaerops humilis

5. Washingtonia Filifera

The only palm I am not growing is Bismarkia nobilis. Maybe I should plant one in the spring and cover it like how I did with my Trachycarpus when I lived up north. 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

1) Sabinaria

2) Kerriodoxa

3) Licuala peltata var. 'sumowongii'

4. Licuala 'mapu'

5) Tahina

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Five? Times what? ^_^

1. Bizzies.

2. Brahea super silver

3. Kerriodoxa elegans

4. Brahea dulcis.

5. Brahea "Franken Brahea" hybric

6. Brahea clara

7. Trachycarpus martimus

8. Trachycarpus princeps

9. Reinhardtia gracilis(? fan)

10. Pritchardtia maritii

11. Livistona saribus

12. Rhapis excelsa (exp. variegated!)

13. Copernicia prunifera

14. Cocothrinax (entire genus)

15. Rhapidophyllum hystrix

16. Sabal uresana

17. Sabal mauritiformis

18. Rhapis humilis

19. Chamadorea mutants

20. Crysophila [knife flies into wall, thoinggggggg )

STOP! No! Stop! (The inner dialogue tells me to stop.)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/2/2018, 11:49:43, Missi said:

Six? Mine has 60+

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is my list just off the top of my head. There are more. There are ALWAYS more..:rolleyes:

In alphabetical order, not order of favorites. I simply can't be made to do THAT! :lol:
Copernicia baileyana
Copernicia fallaensis
Itaya amicorum
Kerriodoxa elegans
Licuala mattanensis 'Mapu'
Licuala ramsayi
Mauritia flexuosa
Sabal mauritiiformis

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Lovely fan palms...

Brahea Súper silver.

61412061-713A-48E8-8F43-CFEC35A40F89.thu

Brahea Moorei.

E116E8E6-8A93-44E8-8D2B-E9C1077069D0.thu

Bismarkia.

35CDD498-A32D-4F40-8703-B1447A30D801.thu

Livistona Laguninosa

0A68C680-E7B3-4FC9-9F21-F9F6B352E13F.thu

Sabal Uresana.

B9F53CCF-688D-4453-8750-FC361F93F994.thu

...and a few more...:lol:

• Upvote 1

Roughly in order, my top 10 fan palms (that I can grow in my climate)...

Trachycarpus Ukhrulensis (Manipur)

Trachycarpus Takil

Brahea Armata

Washingtonia Filibusta

Trachycarpus Fortunei

Trachycarpus Princeps (Stonegate)

Washingtonia Filifera

Washingtonia Robusta

Trachycarpus Wagnerianus

Chamaerops Humilis

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I need to add this one to my list.  Some sort of Brahea hybrid named after Al Franken.  Anybody know this guy in front of the palm??

Cali 024.JPG

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder