IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

We broke 70F

bubba

While many of you have broken out your sweaters and long pants, down here north of the old Monkey Jungle, we busted 70F for our low temperature. A low of 65F with a high temperature that barely made it to 80F. Also, what seemed like low humidity (probably 65%-70%). Does not take much to make me happy!

• Upvote 3

What you look for is what is looking

3 hours ago, bubba said:

While many of you have broken out your sweaters and long pants, down here north of the old Monkey Jungle, we busted 70F for our low temperature. A low of 65F with a high temperature that barely made it to 80F. Also, what seemed like low humidity (probably 65%-70%). Does not take much to make me happy!

OK, I'll bite. Where is the monkey jungle?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Got down to 59.2 yesterday a.m. Lowest of the season so far. Blessed relief after the past weeks of relentless swelter.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We hit 55 two mornings in a row.  Definitely hooded jacket weather after living here for 15 years, but certainly a lot easier to pull weeds in than 95F with 85% humidity.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 30/10/2018, 10:33:09, bubba said:

I've never recorded a min as high as 70F ever here. Not even once in 5 years of living here. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Amazing! Tyrone, you are in Perth, which I imagine to be a nearly perfect climate to live in. Here, just north of the old monkey jungle, it is just shy of hot to most of the world year round. From Thanksgiving to early May, we move into dry season, which includes some great weather, lower humidity and cooler temperatures. Coldest month is January but our average temperature (high and low/2= 67F). 

You have to spend most of the year here to understand and enjoy dry season. Great weather for growing palms and perspiring (even in dry season). Also, for some reason we get a bullrush of folks from the northern part of our country transmigrating away from dreary cold (mainly 212’s, 917’s and 617’s).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bubba said:

Amazing! Tyrone, you are in Perth, which I imagine to be a nearly perfect climate to live in. Here, just north of the old monkey jungle, it is just shy of hot to most of the world year round. From Thanksgiving to early May, we move into dry season, which includes some great weather, lower humidity and cooler temperatures. Coldest month is January but our average temperature (high and low/2= 67F). 

You have to spend most of the year here to understand and enjoy dry season. Great weather for growing palms and perspiring (even in dry season). Also, for some reason we get a bullrush of folks from the northern part of our country transmigrating away from dreary cold (mainly 212’s, 917’s and 617’s).

Last time I was at a football game against the hurricanes most of the kids from there sounded straight NYC...so i dubbed that part of Florida as the NYC annex lol.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

No Cane Thang here. North of the old monkey jungle...Gators 

• Upvote 1

On 05/11/2018, 10:23:48, bubba said:

I'm nowhere near Perth anymore. About 400km or 250 miles south by road on the cold southern ocean.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sorry but hope your Coconut is still going strong in Perth. We may break 70F again if a front makes it through. Continues very hot with highs near 90F and lows in humid 70’sF.

19 hours ago, bubba said:

Sorry but hope your Coconut is still going strong in Perth. We may break 70F again if a front makes it through. Continues very hot with highs near 90F and lows in humid 70’sF.

That's ok. Coconut is dead and gone though. Tenants :angry:

We did it again! Low of 62F this morning and high today only reaching the mid-70’s! Back to highs in the 80’sF with lows in 70’sF for remainder of 10 day forecast. Humidity all the way down to the mid-60’s. California dreaming...

• Upvote 2

On 14/11/2018, 12:10:26, bubba said:

Sorry Tyrone

That's ok. Beccariophoenix alfredii all the way down here now and with the ability to grow cloud forest stuff like Ceroxylon, Hedyscepe and possibly Leppidorrachis. 

Tyrone,

If it can be done, you will do it! Happy Thanksgiving from your friends in US!

• Upvote 1