IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

AeAe Banana 7 gallon

kwtimo

I have a successful offset of a seemingly improved strain of AeAe available for purchase. The mother plants just yielded three sets of fruit. In a 7 gallon, at 5 ft plus, $100 takes it. The plant for sale is the smaller of the two in the picture. Pick up in Key West, I will not ship this. Thank you for your interest.

20181026_122206_HDR.jpg

20181026_122158_HDR.jpg

20181026_122250.jpg

20181026_122218.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Very beautiful plants. I have heard of AeAe but never heard of the improved type. Can you elaborate? Also if you ever have a corm you can ship I will buy.. No problem with leaves cut completely off and trunk cut back to 6 or 7 inches long or so.

I had mentioned the potential for an improved variety due to a conversation I had with the director of Fruit and Spice Park in Homestead during his visit to the garden. Being that these can be fussy and problematic to grow, (which includes a few of my own personal attempts) this particular plant from a different source has simply exploded with healthy, beautiful growth. It is a genetically superior division, in my opinion. Who knows, maybe I just got lucky?

Man.....I didn't even have a chance.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow what a beautiful plant, never seen any of them here. I would gladly pay $100 here.

aloha

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Moose said:

Need lots of organic material in my rocky soil

Ron, do you still have your big one growing, you didn't loose it did you?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎29‎:‎13‎, Jeff Searle said:

Ron, do you still have your big one growing, you didn't loose it did you?

yes

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 10/31/2018, 12:06:45, colin Peters said:

Wow what a beautiful plant, never seen any of them here. I would gladly pay $100 here.

aloha

Colin, the AeAe banana is a Hawaiian banana that originated there probably at least a hundred years ago or even much more. You should be able to find one there. I saw a large beautiful mat growing at  Waimea Botanical Garden on the north shore of Oahu.. They are sensitive to nematodes but grow well when not infected. You can tell they are infected by the plant refusing to grow or even starting to die. You can then dig up the "corm" and  soak it  in 120-130 degree F. water, till the water cools  to kill them, then replant.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Colin, the AeAe banana is a Hawaiian banana that originated there probably at least a hundred years ago or even much more. You should be able to find one there. I saw a large beautiful mat growing at  Waimea Botanical Garden on the north shore of Oahu.. They are sensitive to nematodes but grow well when not infected. You can tell they are infected by the plant refusing to grow or even starting to die. You can then dig up the "corm" and  soak it  in 120-130 degree F. water, till the water cools  to kill them, then replant.

They are pretty impossible to find on Oahu. There is a banana virus here that limits where plants can be transported and its put a real sour on people growing them for landscaping.

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

10 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

They are pretty impossible to find on Oahu. There is a banana virus here that limits where plants can be transported and its put a real sour on people growing them for landscaping.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe one day they will find a way to tissue culture the "AeAe" or even the "Florida" one from Thailand (looks almost the same as AeAe) and then you can get virus free plants. In any case there are tons of other plants you guys can grow that makes the rest of us envy your climate.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...