IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm mini-ecosystems

CLINODAVE

We love our palms, but I also dig seeing the other plants/lifeforms that make their homes in palms.  The base of this Pigafetta at my place is home to climbing ferns and a begonia.  The Vetichias' grey trunks are increasingly mossy green.  Anyone else have palm epiphyte pics?

palm trunk.jpg

veitchia.jpg

• Upvote 6

In my highland garden it is amazing what finds its way onto palm trunks.

This is an Areca catechu with its trunk completely covered with oncidium orchids,staghorn ferns and an aroid that is about to cover everything!

IMG_2272.thumb.jpg.a84a9a33c52718e5831c2

• Upvote 4

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Many of the trees and palms in my garden are covered in vines.... I wanted that 'tropical jungle look' and encouraged the growth. The biggest mistake I made was allowing Syngonium podophyllum into my yard. It is a dreadful weed that quickly smothers trees and palms. During the Cyclone back in March, the added wind load toppled several palms in my garden. I am forever pulling it out, but you miss one tiny bit and its back with a vengeance in the rainy season.

That's it on a couple of palms in the back yard

eEdNOEph.jpg

c78PISph.jpg

9EqFSG0h.jpg

The Devils Ivy ( Epipremnum aureum ) rather likes my back yard and is also very in invasive in the Darwin region. Unbelievably garden centers down south sell it as a small indoor ornamental... colorful leaves, tolerant of shade.... but once released outdoors in the tropics it grows bigger and stronger than Jack's beanstalk !. The higher it gets in the tree canopy, seeking light, the bigger the leaves get. My ones, 30' up in the trees, have near on 2' diameter leaves !

WCb4Lf7h.jpg

C8SbO9th.jpg

lS99LRbh.jpg

I don't really mind the Philodendrons climbing up the trunks.... much slower growing and not as invasive. Leaves also get bigger the higher it reaches into the canopy.

C8SbO9th.jpg

YQ3y2edh.jpg

6RDqiUZh.jpg

xIpGye8h.jpg

These two have abandoned the Normanbya trunk and attached themselves to the end wall of the house.

8erWIZyh.jpg

DcXVSg8h.jpg

Strangler Fig and a weedy fern species whose name escapes me at home on these palm trunks...

U9MD7GLh.jpg

tffkWdSh.jpg

HS1b8JXh.jpg

• Upvote 2

This past summer in West Palm Beach, Florida. It seems like those ferns love to colonize in the palms 

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.8ca1fd2eb372a71e395d9

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

7 hours ago, scottgt said:

In my highland garden it is amazing what finds its way onto palm trunks.

This is an Areca catechu with its trunk completely covered with oncidium orchids,staghorn ferns and an aroid that is about to cover everything!

IMG_2272.thumb.jpg.a84a9a33c52718e5831c2

beautiful!  I would imagine a highland climate would be great for orchids to establish on the right palm trunk.

2 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Many of the trees and palms in my garden are covered in vines.... I wanted that 'tropical jungle look' and encouraged the growth. The biggest mistake I made was allowing Syngonium podophyllum into my yard. It is a dreadful weed that quickly smothers trees and palms

Yeah that Syngonium is really a pain.  I've been watching an Epipremnum vine climbing an Alexander at my place and, like u say, the leaves are ginormous.  

• Upvote 1

This is the entrance to my office. These are 30 year old Dypsis lutescens trunks covered in a few Neoregilia cultivars and native Brassavola, Oncidium and Encyclia orchids that I have rescued from fallen or cut trees.

IMG_2273.thumb.jpg.e9024caefac01a9d59db0

• Upvote 3

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c