IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rusty spots on leaflet

DennisK

I recently purchased this Chamaedorea tepejilote. 2 leaflets have rusty colored spots on then (on an older leaf). What might have caused these? Forgive my ignorance as i am quite new to palms.

Dennis

801B3A5D-2346-440D-BBFD-FFC75C273602.jpeg

F529B338-EE73-4B5B-9674-B3C78FB83329.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Hi Dennis, the problem appears to me to be some sort of  surface contaminant. I would just wipe off those leaves carefully with a wet sponge. Actually doing all of them would not hurt.

I think that the plant was just splashed with something muddy or with some chemical. It does not look serious.

I would give all of the plants a gentle wipe with a wet sponge or soft wet cloth to freshen them up a bit while you are at it. And don't over water them.

Let us know how they go.

I like your poster, we foster several native frog species in our small yard ponds, just to hear them calling.

Steve

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. Will wash down the leaves with a sponge. The other two palms are Chamaedorea pinnatifrons and C. woodsoniana with a Zamia neurophyllidia seedling thrown in for good measure.

When the time comes to split the pinnatifrons and woodsoniana individuals in the community pots, would it be feasible to change the substrate to something faster draining such as a pine bark/Seramis mix or will they incurr a substrate shock? 

Frog vocalizations are something i enjoy as well- really miss their calls in the winter time now back in Europe. I made the poster to show all the amphibians we were able to record for the area around our research station in SW Costa Rica in the past years. C. tepejilote is common there, looking forward to adding two Zamia fairchildiana as soon as they are mealy bug free (at least for a while). I would like to grow some C. geonomiformis at some point to get yet more regional flavor.

Dennis

AD6646BA-F907-423E-BF71-EAAEB677B4C7.jpeg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DennisK said:

When the time comes to split the pinnatifrons and woodsoniana individuals in the community pots, would it be feasible to change the substrate to something faster draining such as a pine bark/Seramis mix or will they incurr a substrate shock? 

Definitely give them faster draining substrate. In the meantime monitor their current substrate carefully to avoid overwatering that suffocates roots and promotes damping off.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I wiped down all plants today and was able to remove the stains for the most part. The plants certainly look a lot better now.

unfortunately i found an adult longtailed mealybug and scale while cleaning the leaflets of the tepejilote today. this in addition to the fungus gnats it came with. i saw a very light mealy bug infestation when i got the plant and then sprayed Neem oil. I might try something systemic next- any suggestions (Europe)? I would have to treat all of them in this spot i guess

I use Compo Axoris Quick-Sticks or Bauer duo-stick against all sorts of bugs including mealy bugs. Works great.

12 hours ago, maxum2610 said:
I use Compo Axoris Quick-Sticks or Bauer duo-stick against all sorts of bugs including mealy bugs. Works great.

Thanks. I will give one of them a try. I have ordered some Bayer Confidor as well.

Edited by DennisK

Welcome to the forum! 

For treating small indoor palms, I wouldn’t over do it with the pesticides. Usually a mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory soap

and a sponge to wipe off individual leaves will do the trick. 

Now, when you have a whole garden of palms and plants, then you bring out the big guns. 

Indoor palms usually suffer from lack of humidity, poor drainage, improper lighting,and overwatering. 

Good luck with your plants.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Tim,

thank you. I will try to keep in mind what you said about the overuse of pesticides on indoor potted plants. I have washed down the leaves with a solution of water and soap and will keep a watchful eye on things.

Dennis