IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fruit on Sabal minor heading into fall

JSKeys

This summer I finally got two of my Sabal minors putting out fruit. All the seeds have firmed up but are still green and aren't fully ripe. Unfortunately we are in fall and while we haven't had a frost yet it won't be long. Will they ripen when we reach low temps and if not if I remove them and let them dry will they still be viable for propagation?

MinorSeedsCloseupE.jpg

MinorSeedsW.JPG

Edited by JSKeys
  • Upvote 2

They should still ripen.  They usually get ripe by the end of November and will likely be viable unless you get one of those insane arctic blasts.  Even then, some have had luck with stratified seeds, so you can't rule out viability after a deep freeze either.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Like kinzyjr said, they still should be viable. Some of their native habitats already got frost. They will ripen soon, make sure you do not pick them too early, let them get fully black first. Do you have a picture of the full plant? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos
  • Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

I'm very familiar with Mid-Atlantic weather and I seriously doubt you will get cold enough weather to damage those seeds before at least mid-winter and maybe not even then. S. minor is a tough palm. Seeds will turn black when ripe. Good work. Welcome to PalmTalk

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here are photos of the two palms. They were planted in 2007 as bare root palms I got from Chilly Palm in SC. They were protected the first two winters just with a frame with burlap to break the wind but since 2009 they have been bullet proof!

Thanks for all the great info...these are the first of my palms to get seeds.

MinorE.JPG

MinorW.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

What do you plan on doing with the seeds? If you dont mind me asking...

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018, 12:50:29, mdsonofthesouth said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm going to germinate some and will be glad to share the rest. 

48 minutes ago, JSKeys said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm going to germinate some and will be glad to share the rest. 

No worries just wondering since some folks dont bother with seeds. Would be curious as to how fast the seeds progress :D.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

42 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

No worries just wondering since some folks dont bother with seeds. Would be curious as to how fast the seeds progress :D.

I love propagating seeds and I collect them every chance I get, even if they aren't hardy for my zone and will be in containers. I have a couple of S. minors in the yard that I grew from seeds from the plants at the Air and Space Museum in DC. Started those in 2010 and they one is pretty bushy while the other is still pretty small (<12")

But hardy palms are so slow growing it is nice to get a few 3+ gallon plants to enjoy!

On 10/25/2018, 12:50:29, mdsonofthesouth said:

• Upvote 1

These do ridiculously well in the UK. Even when Trachies have got a bit damaged by cold, drought or flooding, Sabal minor always looks great still regardless of climatic factors. I have never seen a bad looking one around here, although they aren't that common in the UK. I suppose because of how small it is and how slow growing it is too. I can't believe how small your ones are after 11+ years in the ground! Not many people grow it for that reason. But it is one of the hardiest out there, for sure. Excellent in cold, wet winter areas.

I would never attempt it from seed though. I just haven't got the patience. I would purchase specimens at least 5 years old, possibly 10 years. I'm tempted to get another since the one Sabal Minor I had is back at the old house, in the ground. It was actually already planted there when we moved in. It must be close to 20 years old now. 

• Upvote 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018, 11:04:45, JSKeys said:

I love propagating seeds and I collect them every chance I get, even if they aren't hardy for my zone and will be in containers. I have a couple of S. minors in the yard that I grew from seeds from the plants at the Air and Space Museum in DC. Started those in 2010 and they one is pretty bushy while the other is still pretty small (<12")

But hardy palms are so slow growing it is nice to get a few 3+ gallon plants to enjoy!

Any update on these now that it is December? 

PalmTreeDude

The seeds ripened and I am germinating some. I'm hoping for a good result since I like the idea of a second generation. We plan to be in this house a long time so the slow growth rate doesn't worry me :).

11 hours ago, JSKeys said:

The seeds ripened and I am germinating some. I'm hoping for a good result since I like the idea of a second generation. We plan to be in this house a long time so the slow growth rate doesn't worry me :).

That's great. The more heat the better. I used to place my seed baggies on top of the refrigerator during winter. The kitchen up high is often one of the warmest rooms in the house. Other warm areas are top of hot water heater, cable boxes, computer boxes, even a corner of the hearth if you regularly use a fireplace. You still won't see much seed action until spring heats up. My Sabal seeds outdoors usually do nothing all winter.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, ultimateli said:

Haha, more of your lies - they don't do well in the UK. They do horribly. You have too much extended cool weather and not enough heat. Sorry.

They're slow growing in the UK, not in the US.

Have you ever grown a Sabal in the UK? Do you really think washingtonia Filifera would grow 20+ foot in a decade in London, but then Sabals would straight up struggle? :floor: The Sabals don’t even take damage here, even if they are a bit slower growing due to lower summer heat. However the milder winters in London and the south coast largely negate the drawback of lower summer heat, so they still grow relatively well at lat 50N and 51N. 

Also you’re quoting a post from over 3 years ago now. Despite the fact that Sabals are extremely rare to come by over here, I will have to do a thread for the UK Sabals at some point. There are some gorgeous looking specimens growing here. Sabal Minor, Bermudana, Domingensis and Mexicana do pretty well over here. Palmetto less so, but it will still grow. The idea that they do “horribly” is plain stupid and false.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

53 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

I heard theres a 100 year old Sabal in England that looks ok.

Any idea where this one is located? Sabals are extremely rare and almost impossible to get in the UK. They’re like hens teeth pretty much. Even seeds are a nightmare to obtain and took me ages to get. I had to go down the seed route as I couldn’t buy any specimens here. I hear others in Europe are struggling to get them as well, and yet they don’t even have to worry about the mandatory 2 year quarantines on palm imports heading to the UK now, which puts off suppliers from shipping here. Hence the palm drought in the UK right now.

8 hours ago, ultimateli said:

Haha, more of your lies - they don't do well in the UK. They do horribly. You have too much extended cool weather and not enough heat. Sorry.

They're slow growing in the UK, not in the US.

They do just fine in the PNW, just grow a little slower. Sabal minor are fully able to ripen fruit, even here on "cool chilly" Vancouver Island, don't see why they wouldn't do well in the UK as well....

Pretty rude to come on here and troll people with just 2 posts...

Edited by ShadyDan

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

13 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

They do just fine in the PNW, just grow a little slower. Sabal minor are fully able to ripen fruit, even here on "cool chilly" Vancouver Island, don't see why they wouldn't do well in the UK as well....

Yup. I grew S. Birmingham from a 3 strap leaf seedling to flower in about 5 years.  Also a planted 10 gallon S. minor doubled in size in 2 years and was showing no signs of slowing down when I sold the property.  Lots of water in our summer droughts and a SW exposure was key.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

You need to have at least 845 posts to call anybody out,I think thats a rule somewhere.

How convenient for you Jim!!!:floor:

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

1 hour ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

Yup. I grew S. Birmingham from a 3 strap leaf seedling to flower in about 5 years.  Also a planted 10 gallon S. minor doubled in size in 2 years and was showing no signs of slowing down when I sold the property.  Lots of water in our summer droughts and a SW exposure was key.

I think the SW exposure is really key as well.  Most of the ones I have do face SW and  tend to be the fastest growers.  Interesting to see you point this out - now we have 2 good data points - almost a trend!