IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T. Fortunei smaller new growth

SRJbb99

My T. Fortunei is sprouting new leaves that are smaller than the ones before.  I have another one about 10 feet from this that doesn't have this problem but has a negligible amount more shade than this one.  It has been in the ground about 3 months, Zone 8B in Dallas.  Amended clay soil with sandy loam.  Full sun.  We've had the wettest fall months on record so that could be a part of it.

Thoughts?  I've never seen this before

IMG_0101.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Is it in full sun? If it is, it is probably just growing shorter leaves because there is no need for it to stretch way out to get more sun. It actually looks pretty healthy. 

PalmTreeDude

15 hours ago, SRJbb99 said:

My T. Fortunei is sprouting new leaves that are smaller than the ones before.  I have another one about 10 feet from this that doesn't have this problem but has a negligible amount more shade than this one.  It has been in the ground about 3 months, Zone 8B in Dallas.  Amended clay soil with sandy loam.  Full sun.  We've had the wettest fall months on record so that could be a part of it.

Thoughts?  I've never seen this before

IMG_0101.jpeg

Agreed, that's typical for moving into a sunnier site. Looks healthy and should do great with enough water.

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

15 hours ago, SRJbb99 said:

Yes definitely in full sun

Will it get any protection from the late afternoon sun?  I would think that it'll benefit with some afternoon shade.  I've seen dozens of sorry-looking ones in this part of the state and I've killed a couple myself due to late afternoon sun exposure.  The one I currently have I grew from seed and is in almost full shade - it gets about 3 hours of midday sun.

Jon

Jon Sunder

Yes it definitely gets made afternoon sun. Frankly it gets all day sun!  Hoping to plant a couple taller palms behind it to help with the afternoon sun.  The one a few feet down from it gets late sun as well but has a slightly higher amount of dappled shade throughout the day.