PalmatierMeg

Some Back Yard Jungle Palm Photos

PalmatierMeg

Yesterday I took the following photos of some of the palms in my back yard World's Smallest Jungle

View down the walk toward the Isabelle Canal

5bc9734865ed8_Viewdowntocanal0110-18-18.

Left (east) of walk: Chamaedorea ernesti-augustii in pots and Hydriestele dransfieldii

5bc973cc4542e_Chamernesti-agustiinHydria

Right (west) of walk: Kerriodoxa elegans

5bc9743446dc8_Kerriodoxaelegans0110-18-1

Pinanga cochinensis

5bc9747c29b1d_Pinangacochinensis0110-18-

Ravenea julietae and Chamaedorea geoniformis

5bc9750817a84_ChamaedoreageoniformisnRav

Lytocaryum hoehnei

5bc9755ebb794_Lytocaryumhoehnei0110-18-1

Lytocaryum weddellianum & Reinhardtia latisecta Compact x2

5bc975cd6d2f0_LytocaryumweddellianumnRei

Pots of palm seedlings germinated this past growing season

5bc976288e3f3_Palmseedlings0110-18-18.th5bc976349a60a_Palmseedlings0210-18-18.th5bc9764509747_Palmseedlings0310-18-18.th

Chamaedorea geoniformis n Ravenea julietae 01 10-18-18.jpg

• Upvote 21

PalmatierMeg

Potted Areca catechu Dwarfs & Semi-Dwarfs

5bc976efa8a50_Arecacatechudwarfnsemidwar5bc977146c586_Arecacatechudwarfnsemidwar

Ptychosperma sp & Adonidia merrillii x Wodyetia bifurcata

5bc977a0ef9d0_PtychospermaspnAdonidiaxWo

Adonidia merrillii x Wodyetia bifurcata

5bc9780604bc9_AdonidiamerrilliixWodyetia

Satakentia

5bc97833b7cae_Satakentia0110-18-18.thumb

Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata twins on Garden Lot. I lost their mother to Hurricane Irma in 2017

5bc978cd515c8_Cocosnuciferadwfredspicata

• Upvote 18

quaman58

Beautiful pictures Meg. Everything looks the picture of health, nice & green! I didn’t know that there was such an Adonidia cross. Very cool. Do you have the impression it’s any more cold resistant than straight Adonidia?

Bret

Manalto

^ What he said. I'd volunteer to work for free just to learn how you do it!

sandgroper

What a beautiful garden you have, a real credit to you.

kinzyjr
5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Yesterday I took the following photos of some of the palms in my back yard World's Smallest Jungle

Much like Japan, you use the limited space very efficiently.

PalmatierMeg
5 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Beautiful pictures Meg. Everything looks the picture of health, nice & green! I didn’t know that there was such an Adonidia cross. Very cool. Do you have the impression it’s any more cold resistant than straight Adonidia?

Bret

I've had it in the ground only 6 months so this will be its first winter. It's doubled in size since then so is very fast growing.

Palm Tree Jim

Beautiful garden.

Thanks for sharing.

Palm Tree Jim
2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I've had it in the ground only 6 months so this will be its first winter. It's doubled in size since then so is very fast growing.

Can I ask where did you source this hybrid?

PalmatierMeg
1 minute ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Can I ask where did you source this hybrid?

I will PM you the info.

Palm Tree Jim
2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I will PM you the info.

:greenthumb:

joe_OC

What a great yard!  Are those Chamaedorea  tuerckheimii seedlings?

Matt in OC

Meg, is that perhaps an Adonidia x Veitchia?

John hovancsek

Hey megan, is your h. Dransfeildii in ground? Can they take winter there?

PalmatierMeg
1 hour ago, John hovancsek said:

Hey megan, is your h. Dransfeildii in ground? Can they take winter there?

For two winters. I planted it when it grew too tall for my birdcage. It's under deep canopy to protect it from direct sun and cold. Last winter we got down to 34F and it did fine. Its leaves are thick & leathery too. Tough palm for a Heterospathe and I recommend it.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg
4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

What a great yard!  Are those Chamaedorea  tuerckheimii seedlings?

Good eye. They are. I plan to give them their fall tune-up and post photos soon.

colin Peters

stuning, didnʻt know that tropicals could live in FL so well. Would think it was here in HI.   aloha

realarch

Holy Moly Meg, you are one busy palm mom. Your little babies must always be calling. Aloha to Tim too.

The Other Tim

CB Lisa

Agreeing with holy moly....impressive as heck! 

Josue Diaz

Everything looks great! All of your plants look so healthy. 

sur4z

It's...it's...it's...SOOO GREEN! Well done.

NC_Palms

Astonishing garden and plant selection. Makes me jealous! :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Daryl

Looks great Meg! Everything's a picture of health!

paquicuba
On 10/19/2018, 2:25:49, PalmatierMeg said:

Potted Areca catechu Dwarfs & Semi-Dwarfs

5bc976efa8a50_Arecacatechudwarfnsemidwar5bc977146c586_Arecacatechudwarfnsemidwar

Ptychosperma sp & Adonidia merrillii x Wodyetia bifurcata

5bc977a0ef9d0_PtychospermaspnAdonidiaxWo

Adonidia merrillii x Wodyetia bifurcata

5bc9780604bc9_AdonidiamerrilliixWodyetia

Satakentia

5bc97833b7cae_Satakentia0110-18-18.thumb

Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata twins on Garden Lot. I lost their mother to Hurricane Irma in 2017

5bc978cd515c8_Cocosnuciferadwfredspicata

Wasn't this one the mother plant?

Capture.PNG

PalmatierMeg

No, the mother was planted in my yard in 2010.

5bd8cc7c984f2_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica5bd8cc8aa4ad3_Cocosnuciferadwarfredspica

• Upvote 1

paquicuba

Are you serious or am I blind? I see the same coconut tree in both pictures. 

Are you joking of what?? if you're not, then someone out there is copying you...

Wait...I see what you mean, the bird on your landscape is facing right and the one in the image I attached is facing left. Gotcha!! yeah, it's not the same palm.

568c4ffead456_CaribbeanGardenfromeast021-3-16.JPG.1ba3476f75c4fcb096f637a3f32714ad.JPG

Edited by paquicuba

PalmatierMeg
16 hours ago, paquicuba said:

Are you serious or am I blind? I see the same coconut tree in both pictures. 

Are you joking of what?? if you're not, then someone out there is copying you...

Wait...I see what you mean, the bird on your landscape is facing right and the one in the image I attached is facing left. Gotcha!! yeah, it's not the same palm.

568c4ffead456_CaribbeanGardenfromeast021-3-16.JPG.1ba3476f75c4fcb096f637a3f32714ad.JPG

That is the same palm. The photos were taken in different years and the bird moved. The palm in the Craig's List ad you posted is in Homestead, which is located down in SE FL. My dwarf red spicata was planted in my yard in Cape Coral, which is west of Ft. Myers in SWFL 150 miles away. The Homestead palm is also advertised as a "red Malayan" & "dwarf Malayan."

paquicuba

Yes! They took your picture and are not advertising it as a a red Malayan.

Fusca
2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

That is the same palm

Meg,

It looks like the seller in Homestead is selling container (Red Malayan?) coconuts and using your tree as an example of a mature specimen.  Maybe they took the photo themselves of your tree or more likely they "borrowed" one of your photos from the internet.  What they are selling may or may not be this type of coconut palm.

Jon

PalmatierMeg
1 hour ago, Fusca said:

You are correct - I studied the photo more closely. He cut out parts or my photo, i.e., landscaping, car, that might help ID it. God only knows what garbage coconuts he's selling for what he charges - certainly not red Malayan or red spicata. This isn't the first guy that has stolen my photos to peddle his wares. I've had my 2008 photo I took of a wild Sabal Lisa used to hawk seeds. Same with my mother Sabal minor Blountstown dwarf. I always take my own photos, never "borrow" someone else's.

palmfriend

Meg, great photos - the green is just spectacular! 

Thank you for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

Kim

Wow, Meg, well done! Everything looks super healthy! I admire that you are planting from seed. (I lack the patience and vigilance.)  One would never guess a hurricane went through there not so long ago.