• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      This afternoon I took photos of my largest garden area, which I call, no kidding, "Garden Lot". We bought this 125' x 125' 3-lot site in 2011 before Cape Coral began to emerge from the Housing Bust, during which the Cape had the 2nd most foreclosed real estate market in the US. Houses remained vacant for years, residents fled the state and no one would spring for vacant land at any price. We bought this barren patch of weeds and fire ants with the intention of creating a garden that would block the view of the newly built LCEC electrical substation, also known as "Osama bin Laden's FL Vacation Compound" for its sandy pink stuccoed concrete block walls. The erector set is installed but to this day the substation remains unfinished and inoperable. Par for the course in Cape Coral.
      The first palms we planted were 5 Bizzies in 3-5g pots. We later added another Bizzie as point because it was so purple. Now it is silver and huge. Juxtaposed with and behind the Bizzies we planted Livistonas. We wanted all decoras but ended up with 2 decora, 2 australis and 1 mariae courtesy of a nursery with suspect expertise that shall remain unnamed. Fast forward 9 years and what you will see in the following photos is what you get.
      Vacant End Lot: Sabal sp and flowering bottlebrush & Cocos trunk, bananas, bottlebrush

Garden Lot Views: south side

Leaning Coconut of Irma

Livistona mariae

Sabal palmetto of unknown age. Lot mowers had hacked it to the ground 6x per year for possibly decades. It just barely fits inside our property line so we decided to give it a chance to grow. This is what we have after 9 years.

Copenicia prunifera

Livistona saribus w/black teeth

Borassus flabellifer

Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata Twins

Copernicia alba, Chamaerops humilis & Agave americana mediopicta

Dypsis decaryi

Roystonea violacea (f) & Cocos nucifera Dwarf Red Spicata single

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I try to take photos of our yard every New Year's Day. I usually start great guns in our back yard jungle but often get sidetracked by my daily bucket list before I complete the whole 0.61 ac Paradise. This year I hope to be more diligent. Uh-huh. I started with general views of the jungle beginning from the vacant lot across the canal.
      World's Smallest Jungle, Cape Coral, FL 2021

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Back in October I made a decision to repot my rare palm container garden in a new potting mix: ~50% coco coir, 25% garden soil, 25% perlite.
      I had experimented with coco coir after reading good things about it because no matter how hard I tried to create a potting mix that was loose, light and well-draining I eventually ended up with heavy, wet muck that promoted root rot. Coco coir weighs a fraction of soil, drains well and while my project is still early my mix is easier on palm roots. And on me - lugging large pots around is so much easier now. I started my repotting project with some of my miscellaneous potted Chamaedoreas. Things went well until early Nov when I contracted covid-19 and was laid up until early Dec. Two weeks ago I was able to go outside when the weather was warm, so I picked up where I left off. I've completed all but the largest of my potted palms and hope to complete them by the new year. 
      Today I took photos of some of these palms before the latest Arctic cold front hits Christmas Day. I'm still contemplating how/if to protect and/or move them if the lows drop below 40F. Right now most of them are green and happy.
      Heterspathe salomonensis

Chamaedorea deckeriana

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons

Licuala montana

Hydriastele affinis

Licuala peltata v sumawonga

Calyptrocalyx sp

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I can't remember when I planted this Chamaedorea in the western edge of our jungle. I scarcely noticed it at all until it sent up a crop of seeds. It appears to be solitary and non-trunking and I wonder, "Could it be C. radicalis?" Can someone confirm or steer me in the right direction? Thanks
      Seeding Chamaedorea, Cape Coral, FL

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I received some Chamaedorea radicalis seeds about one week ago, and have had them soaking in water since (changing water out, of course). I’m about to sow them but I noticed there is a thin looking layer of shell or something around the actual seed, should I try to peel that off or is it fine if it stays on?