IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your Dypsis leptocheilos plantings please

Missi

I have 6 that NEED to go in the ground but I have no idea how I want to position them. :indifferent:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Missi, I have one in the back yard in partial shade (pictured above) and one in the front yard in full sun.  They are both doing well and growing rather quickly.  The one with more shade seems a little more dark green.  

• Upvote 1

@Missi Space them at least about 8 feet apart. Up to about 12 feet apart.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

@Missi Space them at least about 8 feet apart. Up to about 12 feet apart.

Hiya Dave. Is 8ft how you space your palms from each other?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

30 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Hiya Dave. Is 8ft how you space your palms from each other?

At least

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

At least

..gulp...

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

14 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

..gulp...

Oh yeah. Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho yeah!

Come and visit, and I'll show you the folly of too-close-placement!

• Upvote 2

This is my grouping on a steep bank entering my highland house. They are spaced 10-12 feet apart.

IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.106ac2a76233c65dc16a5

• Upvote 9

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

11 minutes ago, scottgt said:

This is my grouping on a steep bank entering my highland house. They are spaced 10-12 feet apart.

IMG_0510.thumb.JPG.106ac2a76233c65dc16a5

LOVE that look!  They are an underrated palm.  Fast grower, white trunk, reddish-brown & fuzzy crownshaft, holds a lot of fronds.  What more can you ask for?

• Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

47 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Zone 8b hardiness? Sigh.

Yeah...can't help with that one...   :violin:

• Upvote 4

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Here's one of many growing in my Fallbrook garden.  I think these look quite a bit nicer in California compared to here on the Big Island which is why I haven't planted any in my Hilo Garden.  Seems like the trunks don't hold that white coloring here.  Plus since I can now grow Lastelliana, that's my Teddy Bear of choice for the new garden.  

But wow, such a great plant for a climate like Southern California.  I think I have 12 or so of these on my small 8,000 sq ft Fallbrook lot.  

IMG_1205.thumb.JPG.5c91f5303988982c79042

• Upvote 8

Here’s my gemutlichkeit cluster of Teddy Bears.

From my rooftop.

739D2C88-E7D5-439E-83D2-551F879C19B4.thu

• Upvote 9

19 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

..gulp...

That’s for Teddies; others go further or closer depending on circumstances 

I'm growing two Dypsis leptocheilos teddy bear palms in my Florida 9b climate. The first one I special ordered from my local Home Depot back in 2002. I planted the palm that spring under the arching canopy of a clump of red bay trees (persea borbonia). I did this for frost protection. But I ended up losing these bay trees, plus the dozens and dozens more growing on my property to the laurel wilt disease. Once I lost the overhead canopy my teddy bear palm would get frost burn and/or totally defoliated on the colder winters, like back in 2010.

Anyway, this teddy bear was really growing nice until it was blown over on a 45 degree angle from one of the hurricanes in 2004. I up righted and staked the palm, but it never grew normally after that. The trunk is rather skinning in diameter, plus it became prone to potassium deficiency for some reason after that. I have to give this palm more than usual potassium to keep the leaves from dying. This past winter my teddy bear was mostly defoliated from a hard frost in mid February.  The first photo below is of this palm, which is planted just out from the S.E. corner of the front of my house. This palm has about 12 feet of trunk.

My second teddy bear I bought 9 years ago as a 5 gallon or so size. I planted this in a more protected area. This palm is growing faster and has a larger caliper trunk than my first teddy bear, and it has never experienced potassium deficiency. This palm has about 10 feet of trunk.

I will make a posting below showing my first teddy bear palm (in 2002) when I first planted it. Then a photo of it blown partially over by a hurricane, then how after that it started going into potassium deficiency.

Teddy bear 1.jpg

Teddy bear sign.jpg

Teddy bear 2.jpg

• Upvote 9

Mad about palms

The below photos show various early stages of growth of my teddy bear palm. I planted it in the spring of 2002 as a 15 gallon size (pic taken that September). The next photo shows how it had grown by July 31, 2004. Then, in September of 2004 it was blown over on a 45 degree angle from a hurricane. I then pulled it up and staked the palm. But after that this palm never grew normally again. The trunk got skinny and the palm went into K deficiency. This year for the first time I've been giving it additional potassium, and that seems to be helping.

Teddy bear 9-4-2002 - Copy.jpg

Teddy bear 7-31-2004 - Copy.jpg

Teddy bear 9-27-2004 - Copy.JPG

Teddy bear 7-26-2005 - Copy.JPG

• Upvote 7

Mad about palms

@Walt

Lordy

you rock I worship your dedication 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for sharing your plantings! This is the planting that prompted me to order my seedlings a few years ago I'm in LOVE with this planting but my property wouldn't allow such a set up, I don't believe. This property is close to the beach here in Naples but I'm hoping mine will grow to be as beautiful.

Untitled.jpg

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Missi said:

Thanks to everyone for sharing your plantings! This is the planting that prompted me to order my seedlings a few years ago I'm in LOVE with this planting but my property wouldn't allow such a set up, I don't believe. This property is close to the beach here in Naples but I'm hoping mine will grow to be as beautiful.

Untitled.jpg

At least they avoided the mistake I made; planting too close together.

• Upvote 1

My picture below shows three planted along my driveway in full sun on east Hawaii Island. they are 18 to 20 feet apart. They could have been closer, I think. The middle one, BTW, is recovering from the effects of nutrient deficiency. These palms are 10 to 15 feet tall, and were planted in August 2012 out of 2-gal pots. Yes, the right and left ones are flowering, but no seeds yet.

5bce84e099d83_leptocheilos_drivewayplant

• Upvote 4

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

10 hours ago, mike in kurtistown said:

My picture below shows three planted along my driveway in full sun on east Hawaii Island. they are 18 to 20 feet apart. They could have been closer, I think. The middle one, BTW, is recovering from the effects of nutrient deficiency. These palms are 10 to 15 feet tall, and were planted in August 2012 out of 2-gal pots. Yes, the right and left ones are flowering, but no seeds yet.

5bce84e099d83_leptocheilos_drivewayplant

That's another great idea...plant them along my driveway...

On 10/19/2018, 6:47:19, DoomsDave said:

Oh yeah. Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho yeah!

Come and visit, and I'll show you the folly of too-close-placement!

It's interesting. Even in habitat, this case Cocos N., when the mature nut drops, it usually falls very close to the mother palm. I don't know about the teddy bear palm, but with cocos, space is not an issue. Here are some habitat pics.

18200780-credle-playa-hamaca-roja-caída-de-árboles-de-coco-por-la-vista-al-mar.jpg

800px-Coconut_trees_by_the_sea,_Savai'i,_Samoa.JPG

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

PalmsIt's interesting. Even in habitat, this case Cocos N., when the mature nut drops, it usually falls very close to the mother palm. I don't know about the teddy bear palm, but with cocos, space is not an issue. Here are some habitat pics.

18200780-credle-playa-hamaca-roja-caída-de-árboles-de-coco-por-la-vista-al-mar.jpg

800px-Coconut_trees_by_the_sea,_Savai'i,_Samoa.JPG

Palms afeather do flock together. Those coconuts lean a bit which looks a lot less awkward than too many ramrod straight Teddies in tight formation.

In retrospect, I planted mine way too close together, for maintenance and aesthetics’ sake, anyway.