Sign in to follow this  
kinzyjr

The Garden of Dr. John Rossi - Hastings, FL

kinzyjr

These photos are of the garden of Dr. John Rossi during the CFPACS + FCPS Fall Meeting.  John was a wonderful host and has an impressive garden.  To give you an idea of the challenges he overcomes to have such a splendid garden, these are the averages and records for Hastings, FL:

0000_HastingsWeatherRecordsAvgs.png

This is a map that we received to help us explore the sections of the property we were most interested in before the formal tour.

0001_JohnRossiGardenMap_1600.png

This is part of the walking path around the pond where most of the common cold hardy palms are planted, including Washingtonias and Queens:

0002_Pond_Washies_Queens_1600.jpg

Another part of the trail around the pond.  You can see Tiki Key in the background:

0003_Pond_Queens_Pygmy_Tiki_1600.jpg

The footbridge that takes you to Tiki Key:

0004_Footbridge_to_Tiki_1600.jpg

• Upvote 3

kinzyjr

Another picture from the path around the pond:

0005_Path_Around_Pond_1600.jpg

A picture of the driveway heading toward the parking area:

0006_Driveway_Parking_1600.jpg

The succulent garden.

0007_Succulents_Garden_1600.jpg

Palms lining the driveway:

0008_Driveway_00_1600.jpg

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr

More palms toward the end of the driveway:

0009_Driveway_01_1600.jpg

Yep, a bottle palm.  This one had an interesting protection method associated with it.  During the freeze in January, John pulled in the driveway, parked the truck near it with the hood open and the engine running.

0010_BottlePalm_1600.jpg

A picture of the backside of Tiki Key from the walking path:

0011_Backside_of_Tiki_Key_1600.jpg

You can see the observation deck on Tiki Key in this picture:

0012_Tiki_Key_Observation_Deck_1600.jpg

• Upvote 3

kinzyjr

This is a view of the pond and the fountain:

0013_Pond_Fountain_1600.jpg

A view of the pond and the shaded portion of the walking path:

0014_Pond_Shoreline_Path_1600.jpg

A view of the pond, the cabin and some of the common cold hardy palms from the shaded path:

0015_Pond_Cabin_1600.jpg

A clump of bananas near the woods:

0016_Bananas_1600.jpg

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr

A miniature Chusan Palm:

0017_Minature_Chusan_1600.jpg

A view of the pond and the shaded path from near the cabin:

0018_Pond_From_Path_by_Cabin_1600.jpg

When you cross the footbridge to Tiki Key, this is what greets you:

0019_Entrance_to_Tiki_Key_1600.jpg

Tiki Key has a fireplace:

0020_Tiki_Key_Fireplace_1600.jpg

Tiki Key also has it's own bar:

0021_Tiki_Key_Bar_1600.jpg

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Tiki Key also has a hammock:

0022_Tiki_Key_Hammock_1600.jpg

Tiki Key has coconuts:

0023_Tiki_Key_Coconut_1600.jpg

A view of the front of the property from the observation deck above the bar on Tiki Key:

0024_Front_From_Observation_Deck_1600.jpg

A view of the cabin and walking path from the observation tower on Tiki Key:

0025_Cabin_From_Observation_Deck_1600.jpg

• Upvote 2

RedRabbit

Wow, very impressive! Especially for N. Florida. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

The shoreline from the observation deck on Tiki Key:

0026_Shoreline_From_Observation_Deck_1600.jpg

The dock on Tiki Key from the observation deck:

0027_Dock_From_Observation_Deck_1600.jpg

Some folks coming back from their visit to Tiki Key:

0028_Tourists_Tiki_Key_1600.jpg

The was the last palm I noticed on my way back to the car.  A phoenix theophrasti:

0029_Phoenix_Theophrasti_1600.jpg

• Upvote 1

Darold Petty

Very nice, I like gardens with a sense of humor, thanks for posting !

• Upvote 1

krishnaraoji88

Thanks for the pictures!

• Upvote 1

jimmyt

That is a nice little piece of paradise!     I remain jealous :drool:

• Upvote 1

bubba

Bottle Palms and Coconuts in Hastings! What a spot! Back in the day at UF, Hastings was a beer stop on the way to the beach. I always thought they grew potatoes. Thank you for the show!

• Upvote 2

Chatta

wow beautiful picks! what an incredible zone challenging garden

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

For those that liked the pictures I posted, CFPACS posted their own on their Facebook account.  The did a better job labeling the various types of palms in the pictures (in some cases, they were mislabeled).  You don't have to log in or anything to go through the photo album.  I posted this link in the Affiliates section, but I'll post it again here as well for those that want to see more of the garden:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organization/Central-Florida-Palm-Cycad-Society-145851341806/

Dr. John and his assistant Jenny do a fantastic job of protecting the palms in the landscape. 

• Upvote 1

RJ

Thanks so much for posting this! Fabulous! 

• Upvote 1

Lou-StAugFL

Great garden sorry I missed that trip.