IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How funny!?

Jupiter1

Very funny - unless you are the palm lover's spouse. That's also me a half dozen times per winter when night temps fall below 40F. Wait.... maybe I don't see the humor after all.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Lol a lot of nursery’s and growers rely on this and the outcome. This is me 100 percent and after a bad day at work before my wife and kid come home. My Palm room is my sanctuary 

• Upvote 2

Yeah this is what my room is slowly becoming, about 40 palms in small pots and 10 other plants! AHHHH! I will have to start giving some away. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

@Jupiter1 This one gave me a laugh because there is a lot of truth to it as the posters above have proven. :) 

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

It's so true. I catch plenty of dirty looks and huffs and puffs when the temps dip or hurricanes threaten. My brother sent it to me today. It gave me a real LOL moment while sitting at my desk so I had to share.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Yeah this is what my room is slowly becoming, about 40 palms in small pots and 10 other plants! AHHHH! I will have to start giving some away. 

I know there all are babies and have cared for them since day one but Palms as gifts are quite unique and I have found my friends really value them. Even though they are hard to give away 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rickybobby said:

I know there all are babies and have cared for them since day one but Palms as gifts are quite unique and I have found my friends really value them. Even though they are hard to give away 

I already gave away two needle palms to a friend and I have no clue where they are or if they are still alive, I am wanting to know so badly but he gave them to some family members (here, still able to grow them outdoors), and he does not even know where they went! 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

10 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I already gave away two needle palms to a friend and I have no clue where they are or if they are still alive, I am wanting to know so badly but he gave them to some family members (here, still able to grow them outdoors), and he does not even know where they went! 

My friends will text a pic every so often saying still alive! I thought of making a 10 dollar rule. If it does before 6 months they owe me 10 bux

• Upvote 2

HaHa.  Love it.  Unfortunately, that will be ME tomorrow after work because we are getting frost warnings. Scrambling for space as the palms and orchids are all bigger than they were 6 months ago which was the last time they were indoors.  I'm thinking of donating some to the public tropical conservatory at the local zoo & gardens.

Just now, piping plovers said:

HaHa.  Love it.  Unfortunately, that will be ME tomorrow after work because we are getting frost warnings. Scrambling for space as the palms and orchids are all bigger than they were 6 months ago which was the last time they were indoors.  I'm thinking of donating some to the public tropical conservatory at the local zoo & gardens.

Join the best nation in the world.... Do-nation :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Been there, done that many times......So the lady of the house bought me a greenhouse. No more winter living room jungles. At her request. Ha!

• Upvote 1

I got the speech again today about how the hydro bill isn’t worth the palms to my wife and she asked if the heat was on in the palm room. Lol it’s like walking into a jungle so yes 

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2018, 7:51:46, Rickybobby said:

I got the speech again today about how the hydro bill isn’t worth the palms to my wife and she asked if the heat was on in the palm room. Lol it’s like walking into a jungle so yes 

Have you considered getting an oil-filled space heater for the palm room rather than turn up the thermostat for the whole house? Also, set up aluminum clamping shop lights for extra light and radiant heat that uses less electricity. Close off the palm room from the rest of the house.

Something else we did in our cape cod house in VA back in the 80s: Our upstairs BR would get down into the 50s on winter nights because our duct work was inadequate. In our family room on the first floor we had a family room with fireplace. We bought a fireplace insert that blew out tons of heat. So my husband cut a hole in the family room ceiling, installed a bathroom vent fan, ran insulated dryer tubing through the attic to that freezing bedroom. When we used the fireplace we turned on the vent fan to draw heat into our BR to raise our sleeping temp about 15 degrees.

I'm sure with some creative thinking and a little research you may come with a solution that keeps your palms warm and doesn't break your heating budget.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Have you considered getting an oil-filled space heater for the palm room rather than turn up the thermostat for the whole house? Also, set up aluminum clamping shop lights for extra light and radiant heat that uses less electricity. Close off the palm room from the rest of the house.

Something else we did in our cape cod house in VA back in the 80s: Our upstairs BR would get down into the 50s on winter nights because our duct work was inadequate. In our family room on the first floor we had a family room with fireplace. We bought a fireplace insert that blew out tons of heat. So my husband cut a hole in the family room ceiling, installed a bathroom vent fan, ran insulated dryer tubing through the attic to that freezing bedroom. When we used the fireplace we turned on the vent fan to draw heat into our BR to raise our sleeping temp about 15 degrees.

I'm sure with some creative thinking and a little research you may come with a solution that keeps your palms warm and doesn't break your heating budget.

Thank you for your advice. So the oil filled radiator is there now it’s a modern day one supposed to be efficient the room is insulated top to bottom  I’m curious to see the next bill with the pool being closed now. My house is 10 years old and custom built so very efficient. I will make changes with the lights and heat adjustments slowly to see the outcome 

This is why I'm looking into getting a heated greenhouse...and I'm in Naples, Florida! :rant:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018, 12:42:08, Pal Meir said:

And during night frosts now in November my sofas are getting a little bit crowded, too: :blink:

5bf1a4506ad69_N1401-13082018-11-18P10409

That's pretty darn cool!