Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

How Deep Should I Pot Up Palm Seedlings?

PalmTreeDude

How deep should I pot up my palm seedlings? I need to repot all of these in a better draining mix and simply because I believe they are too deeply potted now. How deep should I pot them? I was thinking about this deep (picture), the blue line represents the soil level I am thinking of potting them up at, does this seem right? 

20181011_215851.jpg

jimmyt

Great demo  Pal Meir!  

Palm TreeDude  that mix looks to stay too wet or your Solo cups aren't draining.   I believe you are correct to improve the drainage.  I don't think even S. minor would stand that amount of constant wetness. 

jimmyt

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      For sale is a lot of 3 Zamia variegata seedlings I bought in a compot at a Palm Beach Palm/Cycad Sale. The mother is Zamia variegata but I can't be sure about the father. Zamia variegata comes from Central America and is threatened by habitat loss. My research indicates it is the only variegated cycad in the world.
      Lot of 3 Zamia variegata sp/hyb seedlings = $20.00
      Shipping = $10.00   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      TOTAL = $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I need to find a new for 50+ Coccothrinax borhidiana seedlings I germinated. They are 6-9 months old and have 1 to 3 leaves and vigorous root systems. I received them from a fellow palm lover last year. I don't have a photo of the actual mother palm but my source told me the seeds came from her palm and no other Coccothrinax spp were nearby. However, I am posting a 2017 photo of one of my C. borhidiana (not the mother).
      See summary below:
      Coccothrinax borhidiana: 50+ seedlings @ $30.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $10.00 via Priority Mail. Sent without pots & soil, with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      Total = $40.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Seedlings for sale

Coccothrinax borhidiana from my garden (not the mother palm)

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant has produced a crop of 250 seeds this year. For info on this beautiful NC native Sabal minor check out link below from last year:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      I am selling this year's crop as follows:
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant seeds: 50 @ $10.00
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal. Pm me if you are interested.
      Photos

Mother palm

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 
       https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have a group of 12 seedlings from this rare, endangered blue Sabal minor from Emerald Isle, NC. Refer to topic below for info about this Sabal variety:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      Seedlings for sale were germinated from the last of the 2018 crop of seeds and are the only ones I have. I haven't harvested and tested this year's crop yet. If you collect varieties of Sabal minor don't let this beautiful palm get away.
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant Seedlings: 12 = $20.00 for the lot.
      Shipping = $10.00  Seedlings will be sent without pots and soil with roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      Total - $30.00
      Payment via Paypal
      No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI. PM me if you are interested
      Photos

Mother palm