IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant w/seeds: any interest?

PalmatierMeg

About 4-5 years ago I got this Sabal minor from Plant Delights in NC. S. minor Emerald Isle Giant is a variant of Sabal minor whose ancestors were rescued from a construction site near Emerald Isle, NC. It is notable for growing very large (up to 7' tall and 10' wide) with exceptionally blue 5' wide leaves. It is slow growing even compared to other Sabals. My mother palm is flowering and setting lots of seeds. Is there any interest for germinating and growing this palm on the forum? If so, I will clean them when ripe and post them for for sale. This is a very beautiful Sabal and quite cold hardy (see photos below). The rescued ancestors have been growing in Raleigh, NC.

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant, Cape Coral, FL

5bbfb5411e874_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant5bbfb5512618d_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant5bbfb5608fdd2_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant

• Like 4
  • Upvote 8

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Beautifull plant. Interesting collor and weird short inflorescences.....

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Nice palm! @PalmatierMeg have you ever been to Emerald Isle, NC and the Crystal Coast? Sabal minor is everywhere there.  

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Are the seeds so close to the center of the palm because of wind (since I am assuming it gets pretty windy in Emerald Isle)? It is a nice looking Sabal minor that is for sure! 

PalmTreeDude

2 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Are the seeds so close to the center of the palm because of wind (since I am assuming it gets pretty windy in Emerald Isle)? It is a nice looking Sabal minor that is for sure! 

Most of the sabal minors on Emerald Isle grow in the maritime forest and in the salt marshes, protected from heavy ocean winds. I think this sabal minor is at the flowering stage, hence why the flower stalk may still be small. I don't know exactly when sabal minors flower and reproduce in SoFla. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I am interested if you have any seeds left 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

5 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

Nice palm! @PalmatierMeg have you ever been to Emerald Isle, NC and the Crystal Coast? Sabal minor is everywhere there.  

Never been to either place.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

@PalmatierMeg I am interested.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Got people interested so I won't compost the inflrescences. Seeds won't be ready for a while yet. I will post here & in Sale forum when they are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I would love some. I have several S. minor volunteers scattered under my live oak but they're the wild type, and pretty wimpy at that. Please put me on the list for notification when they're available. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would love to get some seeds!  I wanted to buy one from Plant Delights, but it appears that it is no longer available.  

Well, howdy, you all are in luck. I'm in the midst of harvesting a crop as I write. I will get to work on a listing and also post a link here.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Seeds now posted in Sale Forum. See link below:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/59136-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-seeds-available/

PM me if interested. Thanks and regards to all

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

• 1 year later...

See below

Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant, Cape Coral, FL 1-6-21

194082836_SabalminorEmeraldIsleGiant0101-06-21.thumb.JPG.bb644118874e570c6b49427d9bc28c6d.JPG

• Like 4

Meg

Florida