IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pumice v Perlite

Patrick Palms

Would you guys say that Pumice is better than Perlite ? for indoor palm soil mix ?

All things equal I'd choose pumice. But pumice is unavailable in FL and many nurseries don't even know what it is. I get what I need to pot my rare cacti from a place in CA: $27 for a 15 lb bag so not cheap. Pumice is a bit heavier than perlite and less likely to float up or separate in a potting mix. I buy perlite in 4 cu. ft. bags for about $25-30 each and I use a lot of it. Finally, despite what some people say both additives are very dusty so you should wear a face mask when mixing with them. I have asthma and must be very careful around them.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Pumice... The best by far, hands down... 

Perlite is horrible. It's so light that it has a tendency to work its way up and out of soil mixes, Pumice usually stays put, or does so more than Perlite. Pumice has a natural water/ nutrient holding capacity, Perlite doesn't. Stuff can be really bad to breathe in also.. Soil mixes w/ Pumice also breathe better than soil that contains  -the other stuff.  

Threw the *Perlite option* out the window about a decade ago. Never looked back.

Will drive 15+ miles to obtain/ purchase bags of Pumice if closer sources for it are out of stock.  If i can't find it anywhere / cost too much to have X quantity shipped to me, i'll substitute with Calcined Clay / Seramis / Turface MVP.. (Different names, same basic product) or the smallest sized lava rock / gravel i can find..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What mix do you use, when adding Pumice? I was thinking of using Pumice, coco peat, and a good compost.    With more tropical plants, making a Humidity tray. 

21 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

What mix do you use, when adding Pumice? I was thinking of using Pumice, coco peat, and a good compost.    With more tropical plants, making a Humidity tray. 

For me personally, i base the amount of pumice ( Or lava gravel / Seramis - Calcined Clay, etc) in the mix on the plant's needs.  I have even gone as far as seeking out stuff like calcium sand, or added pieces of crushed Limestone, Serpentine, or Gypsum to follow what X plant might prefer growing in naturally.. 

On a more basic level, for things that can handle soil that will stay moister longer, use less Pumice and more Coco Peat & Compost .. maybe add something like Fir Bark or chunky Coconut chips to such a mix also, depending what is available to you..  Sensitive to wet soil?, use more Pumice, or other additives that help drain away excess moisture.  I stopped using stuff from the stores years ago when they stopped stocking quality bagged products, which i add to at home.. 

The biggest thing about adding chunky/ gritty things like Pumice in your soil mix, is to help keep the soil mix light and allow air movement through it. Overly wet / dense soil conditions can encourage root rot, especially during the cooler months here / anywhere winters might be cooler and wet.

A majority of my palm / other seedlings start out in a soil mix that works out to something like 30% Pumice, 30% Coco Peat, 20% good compost, with the remaining 20% or so being things like Calcined Clay, maybe a little sand, and / or Fir bark / Coir chunks. Has performed well..

Cacti, and other stuff that likes it gritty and well drained?.. soil mix for them can contain as much as 70% Pumice with only 10% of the mix being compost / Coco peat, other organics. Soil of few things i have are all grit and contain no organics at all.. Regardless, here in the desert, i do have to water more during the summer.. Trade off is less cool soil / wet condition issues during the winter. Soil mix retains enough moisture through our cooler months that i don't need to water much. 

• Upvote 2