IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Please help identify

ParadiseAL

I've collected these seeds from the tree in the photo. They have been soaked and the seeds on the left have been peeled and the seeds on the right are what they looked like off the tree. Thanks for your help.

20181002_101713.jpg

20181008_172008.jpg

Thats what I was thinking, but since going down the sabal rabbit hole its getting hard to tell the difference between them.

I also have these that I got off this tree this morning any way of identifying this one? Its seeds are twice the size. I've germinated a couple from this tree in the last month.

20181009_125641[1].jpg

20181009_090420[1].jpg

Just a guess: Sabal mexicana

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

48 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Just a guess: Sabal mexicana

Do Sabal Mexicana typically have bigger fruit than the Sabal Palmetto? Here are a few more from the big seed palm.

20181009_090407.jpg

20181009_090415.jpg

20181009_090417.jpg

After more research I think I may have gotten that backwards. First photo and fruit, Sabal Mexicana

Second Batch of pictures and fruit Sabal Palmetto.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a labeling nightmare I'm about to have to deal with.

Thank you for your input.

Yes. Sabal palmetto is one of the smallest trunked Sabals and has small seeds. I believe S. mexicana is larger (never seen one) and also has quite large seeds.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

20 hours ago, ParadiseAL said:

I found and old post on PT and it answered everything. Thanks for the input @PalmatierMeg

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/52539-sable-palmetto-vs-sable-mexicana/#comment-796954

Good thread - glad you got it cleared up.  Seed size is a good way to differentiate between palmetto and mexicana (twice the seed size +/-).  I attached a photo posted by Brain F. Austin with the mexicana seeds at the top and palmetto seeds at the bottom.  Sometimes the palmettos hold on to their old leaf boots longer than others, but palmettos are typically shipped up here to Texas from Florida and likely have any old boots removed.  Probably 95% of mexicanas I have seen north of the RGV here in Texas still have most if not all of the old leaf boots still on the thick trunks.  

Jon

Sabal seeds.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder