IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Naturalized Florida Coconut(?)

PalmTreeDude

@PalmTreeDude Nice find!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I take 41 a lot when going to Miami. I might try to take this road one time to take some pics of it in person. I've been to Ochopee once before. It's an interesting little city. It apparently has the smallest post-office in the US. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

8 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

I take 41 a lot when going to Miami. I might try to take this road one time to take some pics of it in person. I've been to Ochopee once before. It's an interesting little city. It apparently has the smallest post-office in the US. 

That would be really cool if you could get a picture of it in person some time. I am not sure exactly where the road goes, but a little farther down you can see a Park Ranger kind of "shoo" the Google Car away. If you keep clicking down the road, the Google Car pulls over and the Park Ranger is seen turning around. I am not sure if it got pulled over or something or they did not want anyone down there. https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7613437,-80.8827731,3a,15y,89.59h,86.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWYE-E7q6wIz135kDYGCHOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

If you decide to see this coconut, there are a couple others on 29 about 12-15 miles south of the 29/75 crossing on the East side of the road. I've never taktaken pictures but they're definitely mixed in with some Royals and Paurotis.

• Upvote 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

16 minutes ago, cfkingfish said:

If you decide to see this coconut, there are a couple others on 29 about 12-15 miles south of the 29/75 crossing on the East side of the road. I've never taktaken pictures but they're definitely mixed in with some Royals and Paurotis.

I've seen that one too. I got a pic a few years back:

fullsizeoutput_403.thumb.jpeg.3a1349d221

Last time I went through there the big one was gone though. I'm not sure what happened to it, but there's a smaller one underneath it that should eventually take it's place.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I don't know if this coconut palm is naturalized (almost not likely, but I noticed it at least 15 years ago on my way to Ft. Myers Southwest Airport. I would take my wife to the airport (driving down from Lake Placid, Fl.), and every time we got to this spot I always looked over at it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.7151991,-81.672462,3a,23.9y,224.92h,90.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saX42k-J8NFvcMEBnIqenoA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Upvote 2

Mad about palms

Don't think so. This nearby property has lots of planted coconut trees.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7611977,-80.9212541,3a,66.7y,162.49h,91.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sl2zy1UcAMIQE6Izo2BUUYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Those crocodiles dudes most likely use crocodiles as nutcrackers like in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E43JPIsMcKw

• Upvote 1