IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

C. Radicalis

Laaz

Looking really good. Hopefully one day my C. radicalis (thanks to Dave) will produce seeds as well. At which age or height did they start to flower?

Eckhard

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 1 month later...

I have seeds all over the place from  and I have seedling popping up all over the yard from trees that are less than 15 years old. Some of the previous acaulescent trees have gone arboreal. Id I can do this, then this is trhe easiest tree to have in your garden. The seeds take a few months to germinate when dropped into the garden but germinate they will. The male and female in  close proximity in the picture should result in lots of fertile seeds.

• Upvote 3

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

That sounds great, John. When palms naturalize, you know they're happy, and they don't tend to look contrived in the landscape.

Is there a related palm that could be hybridized with Radicalis that would increase its cold-hardiness - and the likelihood of trunk formation? (How's that for a 'tall' order?)

Edited by Manalto
  • Upvote 1

I cant wait to try these in my garden. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

6 hours ago, Manalto said:

That sounds great, John. When palms naturalize, you know they're happy, and they don't tend to look contrived in the landscape.

Is there a related palm that could be hybridized with Radicalis that would increase its cold-hardiness - and the likelihood of trunk formation? (How's that for a 'tall' order?)

Why not just buy the trunking form of chamaedorea radicalis instead?  It WILL grow a trunk, although my CR trunks are only about five feet tall.

I have a couple of hybrids between the non-trunking form of chamaedorea radicalis and Chamaedorea Microspadix, but they have not yet grown much of a trunk for me after about four years in the ground.  They all seem to be about equally cold-hardy.  They all do fine in northeastern Florida without any cold damage ever.

Edited by Sandy Loam
  • Upvote 2

On 11/23/2018, 12:02:17, Sandy Loam said:

Why not just buy the trunking form of chamaedorea radicalis instead?  It WILL grow a trunk, although my CR trunks are only about five feet tall.

I already have the trunking form of Chamaedorea radicalis (thank you, Dave!). Gainesville is half a zone warmer (9a)  than I am which, according to a local grower, makes C. microspadix chancy.

I don't think that hoping for a reliably trunking, cold-hardy palm with some of the characteristics of radicalis (but perhaps larger) is such a bad thing.

Edited by Manalto

Just curious as to the plantation spacing yall are using with success. Thinking of grouping mine in a 3x3 corner blocked by northern and western winds and canopied slightly, but I dont want to stunt them. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Just curious as to the plantation spacing yall are using with success. Thinking of grouping mine in a 3x3 corner blocked by northern and western winds and canopied slightly, but I dont want to stunt them. 

As long as they get filter sun most of the day they will not be stunted, and a little full sun in the morning is good too but not necessarily.  

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

As long as they get filter sun most of the day they will not be stunted, and a little full sun in the morning is good too but not necessarily.  

I have 4 plants left and was looking to put at least 3 into that spot. The "canopy" would be a 5-7+ gallon butia capitata or trachycarpus that would only block some of the earliest sun partially. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I have 4 plants left and was looking to put at least 3 into that spot. The "canopy" would be a 5-7+ gallon butia capitata or trachycarpus that would only block some of the earliest sun partially. 

That is totally fine and plenty of light for them to grow big and strong.

Here are my clumps that were taken this evening with only half a day of filter sunlight in summer. Basically none in winter. 

DSC_0015.JPG

• Upvote 4

Here is a comparison of the chamaerodea to the ones it would see next to it. Not even sure that spring 2019 is their plantation year as they dont even turn 1 til January 2019. They have already seen low 30s in pots with a handful of light frosts and zero damage. They are nestled in the coldest part of the garage that's 62 to 67f and have continued growing again.

20181124_203133.thumb.jpg.bf435060022d3a

20181124_203411.thumb.jpg.cd55c7477cc91b

Edited by mdsonofthesouth
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Manalto said:

I already have the trunking form of Chamaedorea radicalis (thank you, Dave!). Gainesville is half a zone warmer (9a)  than I am which, according to a local grower, makes C. microspadix chancy.

I don't think that hoping for a reliably trunking, cold-hardy palm with some of the characteristics of radicalis (but perhaps larger) is such a bad thing.

I agree.  I wish Chamaedorea Radicalis had been hybridized with another similar chamaedorea just to give it a taller, thicker trunk.  Chamaedorea Microspadix isn't tall enough to make it an interesting hybrid anyway, and it's trunks are not thick enough to give me the look that I want.  Some of the other chamaedoreas have gorgeous "bambooey" looking trunks and are simply taller and thicker.  My climate will not tolerate the tender, tropical ( zone 10a+) chamaedoreas, so I wish one existed that was 9b-suitable, but might survive in zone 9a if hybridized with chamaedorea radicalis.

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Here is a comparison of the chamaerodea to the ones it would see next to it. Not even sure that spring 2019 is their plantation year as they dont even turn 1 til January 2019. They have already seen low 30s in pots with a handful of light frosts and zero damage. They are nestled in the coldest part of the garage that's 62 to 67f and have continued growing again.

20181124_203133.thumb.jpg.bf435060022d3a

20181124_203411.thumb.jpg.cd55c7477cc91b

Those are looking good and they will laugh at 30F.  The cooler nights in the garage will help toughen them up and you could plant out in early April. 

1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

Those are looking good and they will laugh at 30F.  The cooler nights in the garage will help toughen them up and you could plant out in early April. 

I'm worried being zone 7 that they may not be mature enough but will try them in the spring. Will be super easy to protect where I am putting them.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I wish Chamaedorea Radicalis had been hybridized with another similar chamaedorea just to give it a taller, thicker trunk.

Or with a closely-related genus?  (It may be a long shot, but I'm hoping for Butia because of its excellent cold tolerance.)

Who would know what cousin of C. radicalis might work as a hybrid? Is there a palm geneticist in the house? A palm family tree to refer to?

This one too:

From the discussions here, Chamaedoreas seem like shy breeders. I guess an inter-generic is too much to hope for? Maybe a little Barry White on the stereo?

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎19‎:‎31‎, Manalto said:

You asking questions that I cannot answer. I would guess that there may be a number of Chamaedoreas but radicalis is already one of the most cold hardy.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

9 hours ago, John Case said:

You asking questions that I cannot answer. I would guess that there may be a number of Chamaedoreas but radicalis is already one of the most cold hardy.

That's why I asked the question in a forum where other people, who may be able to answer, could see it. [crickets] I am aware that radicalis is the most cold hardy among the chamaedoreas, that's why I thought it might be a good candidate for hybridizing with another palm that would potentially increase its cold-hardiness further. Along with better cold-hardiness, there might also be an increase in vigor and blending of characteristics of both parent palms which is not unheard of among hybrids; my inquiry was an attempt to see if this had already been accomplished or if someone with a knowledge of palm genetics could offer suggestions for possible hybrid combinations. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.

Edited by Manalto

Yes hybrid of radicalis with some bigger chamaedorea species would be awesome. They would be less cold hardy than Radicalis but they would be more cold hardy than other parent species. 

Edited by Cikas
  • Upvote 1

hello

good ideas for   chamedorea radicalis x with other more handsome species

but also exist a species with trunk radicalis arborescent ,it produse trynk and get some high

i have one seedling ,in the cementitious circle is arborescent ,near the other radicalis in my photos

thanks

some other people all ready have older

Always wondered if radicalis would hybridie with woodsonia

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

18 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Always wondered if radicalis would hybridie with woodsonia

This. More cold hardy chamaedorea that looks like woodsonia would be great.